Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

cold-mountain-509354f0c599c.png

tumblr_lje2lcWIru1qg7kr9o1_500.gif

A period war movie & inspired by a novel of the same name, Cold Mountain was released in 2003 with an incredible cast that included Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Renée Zellweger - she would later win Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Awards where I feel a lot of people felt that she was the default winner who fitted the narrative of the Academy Awards. Also starring in the movie were Eileen Atkins, Brendan Gleeson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Natalie Portman, Jack White, Giovanni Ribisi, Donald Sutherland, and Ray Winstone - like I said, it does have a good cast.  The movie is essentially about a soldier who fought in the Civil War and his journey home to the woman that he is in love with .While I understand the movie was a commercial success and received many praises, I truly never cared for the movie and I thought it was a tad bit boring which is surprising coming from me who tends to enjoy period films ; Although I do think the acting was good, the movie itself didn't really do anything for me.

SAVE : CARS

Edited by *Chris

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Noms Next)

Blade: Trinity

Red Dragon

Sin City

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

War of the Worlds

Charlotte's Web

Silent Hill

Bridge to Terabithia

Public Enemies

Trick 'r Treat

RED DRAGON (2002)

MV5BMTQ4MDgzNjM5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjUwMzY2._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I still haven't seen The Silence of the Lambs, and I didn't even know a prequel to the film existed until now. Released in 2002, Red Dragon is a psychological thriller based on the novel of the same name. This film stars Edward Norton as an FBI agent who seeks help from Hannibal Lecter (played by Anthony Hopkins) to hunt down a serial killer. I watched the trailer on YouTube, and it does seem like an interesting and suspenseful movie. And I'm sure the performances are great too, especially with a cast that includes Edward Norton, Anthony Hopkins, Ralph Fiennes, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. But I doubt this is a movie I'll seek out to watch though. As for what the critics thought, Red Dragon has a 68% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Competently made, but everything is a bit too familiar." This is a movie that's probably worthy of staying in the game, but I'm cutting it with the assumption that this isn't one of the favorite movies of anyone here.

Saving Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

wallace-and-gromit-curse-of-were-rabbit-2005.gif

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Noms Posted)

Trick 'r Treat

I wasn't sure what to cut as I had so many options I ended up deciding on this one after a minute.  It was the film I think I woule like least based on my brief Wikipedia search on the films I had not heard of..it's a horror film so that probably means I have no intention to ever watch or save it for the most part. The film was released in 2007 and cast Dylan Baker, Rochelle Aytes, Anna Paquin and Brian Cox as the main characters for the film. So what ever happened to Anna Paquin anyway? She was all the rage back then. Anyway, it was supposed to gave a sequel apparently but that never happened..no big loss here.

Saving: Charlotte's Web

• Sad 1

Blade: Trinity (2004)

Blade Trinity poster.JPG

After Blade in 1998 and Blade II in 2002, we have this third and final movie in the trilogy. As the poster suggests, we have Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds supporting Wesley Snipes. In this one, he has to go up against Dracula. The critics seemed to like this movie the least of the three. That is unsurprising, of course. The first two Blade movies are among the more successful non-MCU Marvel films, but by #3 it was game over and back to cliches, no plot, and dull fighting. Speaking of the MCU, I hear that they are rebooting Blade and going to cast Mahershala Ali. But that's not until Phase Five.

Save Sin City

Public Enemies

6a00e5500c8a2a8833022ad3ca66d5200b-pi

I didn't even know Johnny Deep was in this movie so this isn't me cutting the film because of the Johnny Deep vs. Amber Heard trial. I honestly just saved Bridge Terabithia because Josh Hutchinson is in it. :stealth: I've never seen this movie or heard of it before so that greatly helps my decision when deciding which movie to cut from the rankdown. Public Enemies is a 2009 American biographical crime drama film directed by Michael Mann. It is an adaptation of Bryan Burrough's non-fiction book Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933–34. The movie is set during the Great Depression and chronicles the final years of the notorious bank robber John Dillinger. The movies stars Johnny Deep, Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard and Channing Tatum. The movie has a score of 68% on Rotten Tomatoes so I guess it's not terrible? Anyway, it's out of this rankdown now. 

Save: Bridge to Terabithia

• Like 1

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS

The War of the Worlds is a science fiction film that came out in... 2005, I wanna say. It stars $cientologist poster child Tom Cruise alongside Dakota Fanning and Justin Chatwin. The film was directed by Steven Spielberg and was adapted from the well known novel. I'm sure we all know about the plot of the story by now. If not, Hey! Arnold did a fantastic adaption of it for one of their Halloween episodes, I'm just saying. I remember not really caring much for this film when it was released, so I am shocked to see that it was apparently well received by critics and the audience. Also fun fact - the premiere of this movie was apparently where Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes made their first public appearance? What a totally uninteresting and throwaway fact.

SAVE: Silent Hill

Cycle 7 - Dynamic Duos

ralph-and-vanellope-ralph-breaks-the-internet.jpg

You know what they say, opposites attract. Everyone likes when an unlikely duo teams up in a movie! Now, each of you get to team up! Because there are so few rankers, everyone gets a chance to work with everyone! When it's your turn to nominate, you and your partner will nominate eight films together. The other four rankers are responsible for cutting and saving. Immune films and films nominated the previous round are off limits, but everything else is available to be nominated!

EFtv8oI.png

@1234567890 & @Elliott is the first duo to nominate! Nomination deadlines are 36 hours instead of 24, but cutting and saving is still within 24 hours and I will randomize nominations if need be so don't go over 36!

@*Chris @*Diana @Steven_ @FrogLenzen

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Cycle 7 Posted)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Victoria & Elliott's Noms Posted)

A Good Year (2006)

A Good Year.jpg

It's a romantic comedy. A genre with a purpose and a specific audience but it's not for me. Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard are the leads here, and by the end I suspect that they will end up together. Marion's character's name is "Fanny" lol which isn't the most... flattering name depending on what country you're from. In this movie, Russell's character is bequeathed a vineyard in France and he has to figure out what to do with it while balancing his high-stakes job back in London. Along the way he has some encounters with our heroine, Fanny. Critics were unimpressed, and thought that it was predictable, long, and without much substance otherwise. 

Save A Mighty Wind