Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

TWILIGHT

Twilight is a movie that was adapted from the book from noted homophobe Stephanie Meyer, who supposedly used part of her profits from the saga donating to anti-gay organizations during the Prop 8 vote in 2008. (Remember how some of us were #TeamHarryPotter because JK Rowling was the unproblematic one? Oops.) The movie stars Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautnor, Nikki Reed and Anna Kendrick. Such an iconic cast (4/5 anyway) for such a terrible movie series, but I can't fault them for getting their money. The film stars Kristen Stewart as a moody teenager who falls in love with Edward, a vampire played by Robert Pattinson who is hundreds of years old. There's also a love triangle with Jacob, a werewolf played by Taylor Lautner, and I think at one point he lusts over Bella's uterus? Or was that in a later one? I don't care. Anyway, the only good thing the Twilight series gave us was the absolute slap that was Decode, most notably covered by Jena Irene in her winning run on American Idol season 13.

SAVE: Scream 3

Halloween: Resurrection

szALvaFRJJkXHMoaJWBh7YLDoBD.jpg?format=j

Halloween: Resurrections is the eighth installment of the Halloween series. Jamie Lee Curtis, I hope they are paying you good for all this! This one also has Busta Rhymes and Tyra Banks lol what a random cast. It has a 12% on rotten tomatoes which is pretty yikes. Clearly not one of the favorites of the franchise. It also finished in the 600's in the Horror Rankdown so clearly it isn't even beloved by horror stans. I'm sure we all know the plot to the Halloween movies at this point. Based on the trailer, the characters decide to enter the childhood home of Michael Myers for some reality show because what could go wrong? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes! Laurie comes to save the day as she always does. But like, they all went into this home willingly. They all should've died. I'm jumping in now because there is a far superior movie nominated that needs to be saved.

Save Bend it Like Beckham

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Posted)

Sweet Home Alabama (2002)

Sweet Home Alabama film.jpg

My punishment for cutting this is that now the stupid song will be in my head for the entire day. Melanie Smooter grew up in the south but now she lives in the big city and pretends her last name is Carmichael because she's too cool for the south anymore. She gets engaged to a rich man! But oops, before she gets married I guess she better go divorce her secret husband back home in Alabama so she can close that chapter of her life permanently. Uh oh, the southern husband doesn't want a divorce!!!!!! It would be totally crazy if at the end of the movie she stays married to the original husband after coming to terms with her past and her heritage. Just completely unexpected. I wonder how this ends.

Save Sideways

7 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

It would be totally crazy if at the end of the movie she stays married to the original husband after coming to terms with her past and her heritage. Just completely unexpected. I wonder how this ends.

Hallmark is shook.

• Haha 1

Just now, Elliott said:

omg I thought I was nominating the other Enchanted movie 😭

You've already nominated it like 100 times twice so you should know it's not a never nominee :claybleh:

Though idrc about Ella Enchanted, Rachel Getting Married is the Choice nomination.

THE FAMILY STONE (2005)

MV5BZGI2MzYwNmQtOWRkZC00MTNkLWI4NzItMzg0YWQwMjM3ODFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMDcwNw@@._V1_.jpg

The Family Stone is a a dramedy film set around Christmastime. The character played by Dermot Mulroney brings his girlfriend (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) home to meet the family before he proposes to her. However, she doesn't gel with his family members. She's well-educated and awkward, which results in the family treating her very coldly. Rachel McAdams's character (who is the youngest) especially dislikes the girlfriend. While this is all happening, the characters learn that the matriarch played by Diane Keaton, a breast cancer survivor, has developed a recurrence of the disease. For a Christmas film, this movie is a real damper. Of all the movies you can watch during Christmas, is this one people really want to watch? As for what the critics thought, The Family Stone has a 53% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "This family holiday dramedy features fine performances but awkward shifts of tone." 

Saving How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

howtoloseaguyin10days.gif

AAAABd6YBaw7gP9oRiU0gRFmTkuc5VoVrdTE2dd-PTNph7_tIo2RjiNw1SwmsXgsPpKehtxVb9LxssNvOPjy85_H00GTixYYUWEvSunk.png?r=0ad

LankyPowerfulChital-size_restricted.gif

As Alex stated, Rachel Getting Married is certainly a choice so I am more than happy to save the movie from being cut as I'm pretty sure no one else would have saved it. With that being said, I am cutting Spanglish as it was the only movie that was nominated that I was familiar with & didn't care for.  It was released in 2004 & was advertised as a Rom-Com - I remember the previews being everywhere for it.  The movie stars Adam Sandler along with Téa Leoni, Paz Vega, and Cloris Leachman.  The movie is essentially done in a narration where a story is being told from 1992 when Flor moves to America with her daughter for a better life, and while there she becomes a housekeeper for Adam Sandler's family - the family has an interesting dynamic & Flor is a witness of it all.  While working for the family, the character played by Tea Leoni becomes very close with Flor's daugther which doesn't goes well with Flor - one of the most frustrating & white-savior thing of the movie was when they enrol the daugther in a private school which doesn't goes well with Flo who is afraid of her daughter losing her roots & being proud of being Mexican.  On top of it all, Adam Sandler's wife is having an affair while the daughters don't have the best dynamic but the biggest twist is that John and Flor shares a kiss and develop a connection but then she decides it's time to move on from the job which upsets the daughter & John. At the end of the day, the mother & daughter remains strong despite everything.

Now you don't need to watch the movie - it has okay reviews but it certainly flopped. Just saving you all from watching it !

SAVING : RACHEL GETTING MARRIED

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 1

You and Me and Everyone We Know

Why does Elliott hate Anne Hathaway is my question for the day? Because I loved most of these nominations LOL. Anyway I chose to cut Me and You and Everyone We Know which is the film I knew least about from my four options so I just decided to cut it. I apologize if this film is liked by anyone . This was a romantic comedy released in 2005. It started and was directed by actress Miranda July. Actually she wrote it too? What a queen. The film also stars John Hawkes and Miles Thompson as the main actors in the film.

Saving: Ella Enchanted