Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

The Cooler

What ever happened to Maria Bello? I feel like I haven't seen her in anything lately. Anyway she the main actress in this film starring William H Macy and Alec Baldwin (lol) so that is why I am cutting it. To be honest I don't anything about any of these films so I am going to cut the one with the cast I liked the least and save the one I have heard of and move on. This move was released in 2003 and made 10 million in the box office according to google. The plot didn't seem to interesting so I don't think I missed much

Saving: Broken Flowers

Edited by *Diana

Birth (2004)

Birth movie.jpg

Yet another Nicole Kidman movie from this decade. She was booked and blessed. This one was fairly controversial at the time. It features Nicole as a widow who is engaged to be married to someone else. A boy comes up to her and claims to be the reincarnation of her deceased first husband. She is understandably creeped out. But then she starts to believe. We are treated to some creepy scenes, such as the two of them taking a bath together. A lot of people didn't enjoy watching stuff like that. Besides that ick factor, a lot of critics didn't like how the end of the movie basically removed all ambiguity and kind of killed the metaphor by explicitly explaining things. Oh well. Ebert liked it so I was reluctant to cut it but borderline pedo stuff is probably not worth considering and I have no desire to watch this for myself. 

Save Sophie Scholl

DIRTY PRETTY THINGS

Released in 2002, Dirty Pretty Things is a thriller film from Britain. Shot as if it was a documentary film (horror films refer to it as "found footage"), the film follows the lives of two immigrants in London. Dirty Pretty Things stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Audrey Tautou, Sergi López, Sophie Okonedo, Benedict Wong and Zlatko Buric, and was directed by Stephen Frears from a screenplay by Steven Knight. It was a BBC Films release in England, though Miramax picked up distribution in the US. I remember this film because I would see its DVD/Blu-Ray cover in passing and low-key thought it was Anne Hathaway until I looked closer. The film didn't perform that well commercially, but was a critical success - earning a 94% at Rotten Tomatoes, and recent three nominations that led to two award wins.

SAVE: Charlie Bartlett

THE MAID

It seems that there’s a lot of movies with this name so hopefully I am cutting the right one from 2005 ? If it is the case, this movie is one that I haven’t  heard from which not surprised as it is apparently a horror  movie from Singapore. It follows the life of maid originally from Philippines who ends us moving to Singapore, and while there she has to acclimate herself to what is known as the Seventh Months which she struggled with - not too sure what this means but looks like supernatural kind of thing. Movie broke some records and I am sure its a good one but have to cut one and it ends up being this one. 

Save : last station 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Victoria's Noms Next)

The Pink Panther (2006)

Pinkpanther mp.jpg

I am not well-versed in Pink Panther lore. I recognize the cartoon character and I know the theme song. The end. Apparently the cartoon character has almost nothing to do with the actual franchise. It was a cartoon they used for opening credits of the original 1963 film. The titular "Pink Panther" from the original film is actually a pink diamond that gets stolen by a jewel thief, and the lead character is a detective who has to solve the crime. The 2006 movie is the TENTH movie in the franchise, and serves as a reboot. Steve Martin stars as Jacques Clouseau, which I assume is a pun/reference to the explorer Jacques Cousteau? Maybe? Maybe not? So it's not a remake, but a reboot for a more modern setting. Beyonce is also here for some reason. The critics hated it but that didn't stop them from making a sequel in 2009. Beyonce regrettably was unable to join the cast for the sequel.

Save Rat Race

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Victoria's Noms Posted)

THE WHOLE NINE YARDS

MV5BMjA4Nzk4NzU4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzU0

Released just as the decade was beginning in February 2000, The Whole Nine Years is a crime-comedy film that stars Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, the late Michael Clarke Duncan and Natasha Henstridge. In the film, Matthew Perry plays a Quebecois dentist who lives in Chicago. Bruce Willis plays a former hitman who lives next door to him. Matthew Perry's character finds himself traveling to visit a mob boss to inform him of his new neighbour's location. Hijanks ensue, naturally. The film received mixed reviews critically, but still managed to turn a profit on its $41.3 million budget and produce a sequel, cleverly entitled The Whole Ten Years, three years later in 2004.

SAVE: American Pie 2

PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE (2002)

MV5BYmE1OTY4NjgtYjcwNC00NWE4LWJiNGMtZmVhYTdlMWE1YzIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Punch-Drunk Love is a film starring Adam Sandler. He plays a man who struggles with social anxiety and has fits of rage. He leads a very lonely life and is treated as a joke by his sisters, but he eventually falls in love with a woman. Their budding romance is a welcome change of pace, but then events transpire that complicates his life. Adam Sandler's character had previously called a phone sex line to deal with his loneliness, but the operator tries to extort money from him. Four henchmen are sent to go after Adam Sandler's character to collect. Anyway, the plot of this film seems a bit out there. Based on the trailer, Punch-Drunk Love doesn't seem like my kind of film. The critics liked this film though. According to Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 79% approval rating. The consensus reads: "Odd, touching, and unique, Punch-Drunk Love is also delightfully funny, utilizing Adam Sandler's comic persona to explore the life of a lonely guy who finds love."

Saving Curious George.

200.gif

• Sad 1

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

What are these options? I have never heard of either film so I will cut this one. It was released in 2005 and is a animated film. If I am reading the Google search correctly it won the The Academy Award for Best Animated Feature that year? I need to look at the other options because based on this trailer it doesn't seem like it was that good of film to warrent that type of win. Maybe I am missing soemthing? The voice actor list consists of Peter Sallis (whomst?) And queen Helena Bonham Carter who was the only name I recognized. Easy cut 

Saving: I Heart Huckabees

Edited by *Diana

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott & Steven's Noms Next)