Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

21 Grams

21 Grams is my choice for a cut this round as there a  few actors in there I just don't like and I am not super passionate about any of the films so cutting something with Sean Penn is always a easy choice in my mins.

Anyway, 21 Grams is actually highly reviewed so I apologize to any fans it has a 81 percent on rotten tomates and was liked by critic's so that's good for them. It was released  in 2003 and was a drama film directed by. The film has actors like  Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, and Charlotte Gainsbourg staring in. Hense this cut. Sorry to Naomi who is a killer actress.

Saving: After the Wedding

A SCANNER DARKLY (2006)

MV5BOTc2ZGI2MzEtODlkNC00MGQ4LTlkYjQtMDU0YTg1YTI0NDI1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

A Scanner Darkly is an animated film based on the 1977 novel of the same name. It's set in a future world where technologically advanced and intrusive police surveillance is constant while America is suffering from a drug epidemic. About 20% of the population is addicted to a drug called Substance D, which causes hallucinations. The movie stars Keanu Reeves as a narcotics cop who happens to become addicted while working under cover. The cast also includes Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, and Winona Ryder. In addition, the film was initially shot digitally, but an 18-month animation process took place afterwards. That's what gives the animation its distinct look while looking exactly like the actors in the film. So, I've never heard of this film before, but it does seem interesting. The way the film is animated is pretty cool too, although nowadays it does look quite dated. The effect now seems similar to image filters, such as those on Photoshop. As for what the critics thought, the film received mixed reviews. It has a 68% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "A faithful adaptation of Philip K. Dick's novel, A Scanner Darkly takes the viewer on a visual and mind-blowing journey into the author's conception of a drug-addled and politically unstable world." However, a reviewer for Entertainment Weekly said the film goes nowhere and is "more fun to think about than [it] is to experience." The comments under the YouTube trailer are quite positive though, with some commentators saying the film was ahead of its time. I doubt this is a movie I would ever care to seek out and watch though.

Saving A Prairie Home Companion.

2a261361e235f375b8de158ada657dd5_w200.gi

american-splendor-554f4a01b0a1a.png

american-splendor-paul-giamatti.gif

First of all, I want to congratulate Elliott on giving us one of his best nomination set, thus far, so kudos to him - unless this was all Vicky's work :giggle:. Out of the two remaining movies, I am truly indifferent as I haven't seen either of them so I am saving the movie that seems the most interesting out of the two.  This means that I am cutting American Splendor which was released in 2003, and it falls in the biopic category. It is based on the life of Harvey Pekar who is the author of the American Splendor comic books, hence the name - I've never heard of those comic books.  The cast for the movie include Paul Giamatti in the lead role with Hope Davis as Joyce Brabner, and there's appearance of Harvey & Joyce in the movie.  The movie was well received #oops - a score of 94% on RottenTomatoes and the praise of many criticism but unfortunately, the movie doesn't really interest me hence why I am cutting it.  And a fun fact for Elliott - the movie was filmed on location in Cleveland and Lakewood in your beautiful state of Ohio! 

SAVING : A TALE OF TWO SISTERS

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Diana's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Diana's Noms Posted)

Meet the Fockers (2004)

Meet The Fockers.jpg

There is a sub-genre of film comedies where the protagonist has things go wrong for him non-stop. Every single situation for that character involves some sort of massive embarrassment, misunderstanding, or screw up. That is my least favorite genre of movie. Meet the Parents was relatively well-received, but I did not enjoy it. This is the sequel to that movie. There is a long list of things I would rather do than watch this movie. In the first movie, Ben Stiller meets his future in-laws. In this movie, his in-laws meet his parents. Barbara Streisand and Dustin Hoffman are the new characters in this movie. 

Save............. Saw II?

SECRET WINDOW (2004)

MV5BNmI5MWNlMjYtZTAxNy00N2Q3LTkwZDgtMWRjOWQ1ZjJiN2Y4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ2MTMzODA@._V1_.jpg

Based on the Stephen King novella Secret Window, Secret Garden, the film Secret Window is a psychological thriller starring Johnny Depp. He plays a writer named Mort Rainey who is going through a divorce after catching his wife having an affair. He secludes himself in a cabin to try to get over his writer's block. While he's there, a man named John Shooter shows up and accuses Mort of plagiarism. Mort denies the claim, but he's stunned to see both their stories are virtually the same except for the ending. John Shooter terrorizes Mort throughout the film while Mort is determined to prove he didn't plagiarize his work. The film ends with a plot twist that the audience may or may not have seen coming. As for what the critics thought of this film, Secret Window has a 46% on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Depp is quirkily entertaining, but the movie runs out of steam by the end." The film does seem interesting and Johnny Depp is a good actor, but I read the entire plot summary on Wikipedia after watching the trailer. I'm already spoiled on how it ends, so I doubt this is a movie I'll seek out to watch. But I figure it's a fair cut to make with its low Rotten Tomatoes score.

Saving Scary Movie 3.

scary-movie3-scary-movie.gif

Edited by Steven_

SCARY MOVIE 2

ScaryMovie2.jpg

lol I actually enjoyed Scary Movie 2, but I like most of these nominations so I may as well cut this film so it gets a decent write-up. Scary Movie 2 was the quickly made sequel to Scary Movie, the 2001 [mostly] Wayans Brother parody of late-90s horror films Scream and I Know What You Last Summer. Scary Movie 2 decided to go more for the haunted variety, largely parodying The Exorcist and Poltergeist. Notably, while Scary Movie killed off most of its cast, Scary Movie 2 decided to bring them back and not even acknowledge it. That's camp. The most glaring exception was Shannon Elizabeth's character, who was replaced by a new character played by Tori Spelling. Tori Spelling's character also had most of her screen time cut because she refused to sleep with Harvey Weinstein or do a topless scene, and he was vindictive. What a Grade A ass.

Scary Movie 2 ended up being successful at the box office and on home video, but wasn't as critically appreciated as its predecessor. I also feel like the jokes in Scary Movie have mostly aged better, as most of the references in Scary Movie 2 largely aren't in the public zeitgeist anymore. While the cast all did their best with what was clearly a rushed production, Brenda Meeks continues to be the highlight of the franchise.

d61dfb5e246928fad21a95223c57341f31b84a8f

(Me whenever my least favourite contestant on a reality show gets eliminated.)

SAVE: Final Destination 3 which stars Alexz Johnson so I'm gonna have some words with @*Chris 🙂

Silent Hill

200.gif

I can't use my usual line of I've never seen or heard of these movies because I've seen them both, but of course I'm left with choosing between the two horror films. :dead: I'm going to save Freddy vs. Jason because of Freddy Krueger, duh. 😘 Silent Hill is a 2006 psychological horror film directed by Christophe Gans and written by Roger Avary, Gans, and Nicolas Boukhrief. The movie is based on the popular video game.  It stars Radha Mitchell, Sean Bean, Laurie Holden, Deborah Kara Unger, Kim Coates, Tanya Allen, Alice Krige, and Jodelle Ferland. If you know if the video game then you know of the premise. 😘 The movie opened at #1 surprisingly, but was panned by critics. It has a score of 32% on RT so no big loss, but know I want to know Freddy vs. Jason's RT score. :haha:

Save: Freddy vs. Jason

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana & Steven's Noms Next)