Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

THE BRAVE ONE (2007)

MV5BMTA4OTA4Njk4MDdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDc0NDY1MzM@._V1_.jpg

I didn't recognize this film by the title alone, but I suddenly remembered it after looking it up online. I actually watched this movie several years ago, but I totally forgot about it until now. Jodie Foster plays a woman traumatized after an attack. She and her fiancé get beaten by men while walking their dog, and her fiancé ends up dying from his injuries. Jodie Foster's character is no longer the same. She ends up buying a handgun to defend herself, but she then becomes a vigilante determined to take down bad people. Her actions garner the attention of a detective (played by Terrence Howard) who tries to capture her, even though he learns she's hunting down bad guys. Anyway, I think I remember the movie being fine. It didn't leave enough of an impression on me though. As for what the critics thought, The Brave One has a Rotten Tomatoes approval rating of 43%. The consensus reads: "Magnetic by between Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard can't quite compensate for The Brave One's problematic and unconvincing eye-for-an-eye moral."

Saving It's Complicated.

AltruisticUnluckyGartersnake-max-1mb.gif

Rush Hour 3

Rush hour 3, yes because apparently 1 or 2 was not enough, we have a third film. I think I should cut it because I am not understanding why we needed 3 rush hour movies. It only received 17 percent on our famously quoted Rotten Tomatoes which is bad like really bad so this is a fair cut at this point, although any of the films here would of been to me. The film stars Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan who I felt had less chemistry in this film than normal. idk something was off about the film and many film critics agreed. No big loss here.

Saving: P.S. I Love You

Martyrs

martyrs.gif

So sorry for the delay as I've been extremely busy, but that should come to an end soon. :haha: I hope this gif is accurate to the movie because I've never seen or heard of this movie before. Martyrs is a 2008 psychological horror film written and directed by Pascal Laugier. It's a horror film, oops. I didn't know. :stealth: The movie follows Lucie and Anna who are played by Mylène Jampanoï and Morjana Alaoui, in which Lucie's quest to seek revenge on the people who abducted and tortured her as a child leads her and who is also a victim of abuse, into a spiral of something much more sinister. That sounds very promising actually. Maybe I will give it a shot? The film has a Rotten Tomatoes scare of 64% and even spawned a remake in 2015.

Save: The Time Traveler's Wife

THE UGLY TRUTH

Ugly_truth.jpg

Wikipedia tells me that The Ugly Truth is a romantic comedy starring Katherine Heigl, so I feel like this is a very valid cut. Has she done anything noteworthy of hating, or is my dislike for her just years of irrational dislike for being the annoying character in Roswell? But I digress. Released in 2009, The Ugly Truth also stars Gerard Butler (no relation to me), and tells the story of an uptight television producer (played by Katherine Heigl) who takes control of a morning show segment on modern relationships that is hosted by a misogynistic man (played by Gerard Butler). The film runs 94 minutes long, and was not well received critically. It also grossed $200 million at the box office, but is still her second-highest grossing film of all time after Knocked Up.

SAVE: the other film that's left

8 hours ago, Elliott said:

Has she done anything noteworthy of hating, or is my dislike for her just years of irrational dislike for being the annoying character in Roswell?

She's been pretty infamously blacklisted for being dubbed "difficult to work with" on sets. Apparently she's not the most likable human being in the world, but a lot of that is because she wasn't afraid to call out people like Shonda Rimes or Judd Apatow for difficult working conditions or problematic behaviors. Hiegl was literally in everything in the mid to late 2000's and then just completely disappeared.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Steven's Noms Next)

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

I  feel like there have been too many John C. Reilly and Will Farrell movies in the world that I could of sworn this film was cut by me already? I guess not but it is now..ooof to Sacha Baron Cohen worst film by far (sorry not sorry) goodbye to this movie. It was released  in 2006. It was a comedy but I do think it wasn't that funny. It is quite overrated actually so it makes for a easy cut. I do admit it was an quite successful film but it isn't something I really enjoyed or would watch again.

Saving Knocked Up

Edited by *Diana
  • Sad 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Steven's Noms Posted)

Crank (2006)

Crank final.jpg

Jason Statham plays a bald action hero who runs around shooting things and driving cars I assume. Maybe even a helicopter based on the poster. The concept is actually... kind of humorous? Borderline camp? Is it Leigh Bowery? No, it was camp. Jason gets poisoned by a fictional substance that will apparently kill him unless he is constantly inducing adrenaline in his system. It's like Speed but instead of a bus that blows up if it slows down, it's a human heart that dies if you relax too much. So Jason partakes in some risky behaviors to try to keep himself stimulated. Including drugs and fighting. Kids, drugs are bad and fighting is wrong. Amy Smart is the female lead and I lowkey love her even though she had an oddball filmography. I'm disappointed that the sequel of this film, "Crank: High Voltage" is not included in this game so I can't talk about how the first scene is Jason getting a heart transplant. Having to constantly jolt the battery to your artificial heart with electricity to keep it running. The previous villain's head kept alive in a jar like Futurama. CAMP. Look at the poster guys.

Crank 2 High Voltage poster.jpg

Save Superbad

BEHIND THE SUN

I need to stop picking movies I haven’t seen when I’m doing my cuts because I have five minutes to figure out a write-up on this. :dead: Behind the Sun is a socio-drama film that serves as a 2001 co-production between Brazil, France and Switzerland. It was based off the novel by Ismail Kadore, though the film itself was written by five screenwriters. The film stars Rodrigo Santoro, José Dumont and Rita Assemany. It tells the story of a man who is ordered by his father to avenge the death of his brother, but ultimately finds himself stuck in the middle of a family feud. It was nominated for a handful of film festival awards and ultimately won two.

Everybody’s Famous!

3f9cf2be-cde1-40c4-b6ac-48681dcc079d.jpg

A Belgium comedy about everyone's favorite funny topic, kidnapping! The father of a wannabe pop star kidnaps a famous pop star and the ransom is to make his daughter famous. The entire concept sounds absurd, but is it so absurd it actually works? Idk I guess we'd have to watch the movie to find out. I'm not gonna lie, I'm intrigued. I'm kind of into these absurd satirical movies, if they're done correctly. It all comes down to the writing and directing. I see the appeal in the movie. The reviews for this movie are extremely mixed so it seems many think it did not stick the landing. I can't imagine myself going out of my way to see it, but if the movie landed on my lap I'd probably give it a chance.

Save The Strangers because I'm guessing @1234567890 would likely save the horror movie

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Victoria & Steven's Noms Next)