@*Chris - 14/20

@totes4totes - 1/20

@Elliott - 6/20

@#jeah - 7/20

@.Rei - 9/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@*Wallace - 16/20

Steven

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9526a398f2be4b4038953cc14741f450f9d0f939219&ep=v1_internal_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Thankfully Spirited Away made it to the Top 20. I don't think I've ever saved a movie (or other rankdown entry) as many times as I saved Spirited Away. However, despite being nominated several times throughout the game, I wasn't ever too worried about it being eliminated. For the most part it takes two people to eliminate a film, and I believe everyone but one ranker here likes this film. It wasn't until final cuts when I was concerned, but no worries since Spirited Away is here.

Spirited Away easily takes the #1 spot in my ranking. This is Studio Ghibli's magnum opus. Hayao Miyazaki created a masterpiece with this film, and it's deserving of all the critical acclaim it received. Spirited Away centers on a girl named Chihiro. After her parents are transformed into pigs, she stumbles upon the spirit world. She finds work at a bathhouse and tries to figure out how to save her parents and free herself. She meets an unforgettable cast of characters along the way, including the mysterious yet trustworthy Haku, the helpful Lin, the masked spirit No-Face, and the intimidating witch Yubaba (and her twin sister Zeniba). The world of Spirited Away is so vivid and magical. It’s so imaginative as you follow Chihiro’s journey. The film is so wonderfully animated, and it really draws you in. It's pretty much everything you'd want from a fantasy film like this. It's a very rewarding movie-watching experience, and it's a movie I've enjoyed each time I've watched it. I was just a kid when I first saw this film, but I remember how amazed I was by it. It's a film that stuck with me long after its release. It's an incredible film, and I'm glad it's still popular all these years later. It definitely deserved its Oscar win for Best Animated Feature.

Spirited Away is well-known as not only one of the greatest animated films ever made, but one of the greatest films ever made period. In addition, Spirited Away really left a cultural legacy. This is the film that really helped western audiences take notice of Japanese animation and realize animation is not only for children. Spirited Away continues to influence filmmakers long after its release, not just anime but western films too. Spirited Away really is an amazing film, and it's my favorite film of the entire decade. There was no question Spirited Away would claim the #1 spot in my ranking.

Dee

icegif-193.gif

Spirited Away is probably my pick for the greatest film ever made and certainly one of the most important films ever made. There is a reason why Derek, Tom, Steven, and I fought for this film as feverishly as we did. There is a reason why over two decades later, critics and audiences still frequently cite this as the zenith of animation and filmmaking. I obviously am always overdramatic and throw around terms flippantly, but I am so serious when I call Spirited Away a "masterpiece." Fiercely imaginative, movingly beautiful, and just a powerful spiritual and emotional experience. Spirited Away leaves me speechless and in tears after every watch because the story transcends the screen. Miyazaki's creation comes to life and thrusts you into the fantasy in an incomparable fashion. For a story and a world as fearlessly visionary as the one Miyazaki creates, the true beauty is that this is really a film about an ordinary girl moving to a new place and stuck in the liminal phase between childhood and adulthood. This universal experience is the key to grounding the viewer so strongly in Chihiro's story, allowing the viewer to so fully sympathize with her that you find yourself lost in the film without noticing. While I think this could beat Juno, I fear low rankings from Diana, Chris, and Alex could hurt Spirited Away in the final ranking. But really, this is the rightful winner of this game and I do not care how obvious that is. Spirited Away really is the apex of film.

Tom

Spirited Away is my second favorite Ghibli ever behind Princess Mononoke and my favorite Ghibli film of the 2000s (with Ponyo a close second). As a result, it is higher than perhaps some people expected. Spirited Away tells the story of Chihiro Ogino (Hiiragi), a ten-year-old girl who, while moving to a new neighborhood, enters the world of Kami (spirits of Japanese Shinto folklore). After her parents are turned into pigs by the witch Yubaba, Chihiro is forced to a job working in Yubaba's bathhouse to find a way to free herself and her parents and return to the human world. In addition to beautiful imagery/animation, its score is fantastic and it displays an understanding of a kid getting out a very tough situation while showing a lot of growth in a realistic way. Big congrats to Steven for getting it here, I helped as well.

Megan

At any given time this is my absolute favorite movie. It is no doubt in my mind the best animated movie of all time and absolutely one of the best movies all time period. On old IDF I had a nearly 1000 word post on why I love this movie so much and I wish old IDF still existed solely so I could copy/paste it here. Sorry Alex for this long write-up from somebody who didn't even participate in this game, but I really want to articulate why this movie is so important to me.

How Spirited Away Changed The WorldSoot-sprites GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I like Disney and Pixar movies as much as the next person (in fact Lilo & Stitch also ranks pretty highly on my personal list) but recently I think it's become increasingly obvious that when it comes to animation, they are lagging behind. I'm not somebody who is going to harp on the virtues of traditional hand-drawn animated films being innately more artistic than a computer-animated film (I think films like Puss in Boots and Into the Spider-Verse and it looks like the upcoming TMNT movie are fantastic examples of how you can use computers to push the boundaries of animation in a way that you aren't going to see with a very conservative approach Disney or 2020s Pixar), but the traditional animation of Spirited Away becomes so much more of a marvel when you realize how complex it is and how much Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli did not skip on when making the movie. From the beginning when Haku is walking Chihiro over the bridge, instead of making all the spirits just kind of a blur, you get detailed individual characters (I wish I had a better gif). The soot sprites in the second gif are all individually hand-drawn. In the bath house there's always a bit of chaos going on. Even in the more individual moments like this one where it's simply Kamaji putting the blanket on over Chihiro, you can see in the background the complex system of the water getting pumped. It's all these little details that aren't necessary but are still added despite the complexity they bring that make this movie stand out and still endure over all these year.

Spirited Away GIF 2 by backtomywonderland on DeviantArt

One thing that I think makes Spirited Away by far Studio Ghibli's most successful film (aside from the partnership with Disney to distribute worldwide) is that despite being VERY Japanese, the themes are universal. On first appearance, none of these characters are Western, the idea of a bathhouse isn't really American, the idea of spirits in Spirited Away are also very different than the ghosts (or angels/demons) in the West. It's not hard to relate to Chihiro's struggles whether you are 10. Additionally, this movie just hit at the right time. Disney was in its weird transitional period and its traditionally animated movies just weren't hitting like the Renaissance movies. Pixar wasn't on its like 1 movie/year schedule so there was a gap between Monster's Inc and Finding Nemo that Spirited Away could just slot in to. Dreamworks hadn't really figured out its animation lane going from Shrek to Spirt: Stallion of the Cimarron (kind of a shame they went full computer because Prince of Egypt and Road to El Dorado are just great).

Spirited Away Ghibli GIF - Spirited Away Ghibli Chihiro - Discover & Share  GIFs

Sometimes a movie doesn't hold up. The movies that you watch when you are a kid are not as good when you watch them again as an adult. Spirited Away is a movie you can watch once when you are 10 and again when you are 30 and still see something new. I actually saw this movie for the first time when I was 11-years-old with my sister. This was actually the first movie that I saw in theaters without my parents (my mom probably took my brother to see a movie that was geared towards even younger kids, she would have liked this better). As a 11-year-old girl who went through a cross-country move, I could really relate to Chihiro. It felt like this movie was made for me. And at 11, the No Face rampage is the scariest scene. And so shortly after to have him transition to this calm guy blew my mind. There aren't too many things I can remember exactly at 11, but what has always stuck are the emotions that I felt while watching. The awe and amazement at seeing this movie which had been really nothing like I'd seen before. When HBO Max bought the entire Ghibli catalogue, it was the first movie I watched on the streaming service. I saw it again in theaters two or three years ago. And since GKIDS bought the distribution rights it's in theaters again this month. I'll probably go see it. Because it doesn't matter if I watch Spirited Away in a theater, on DVD, or chopped up with commercial breaks. It doesn't matter if it's the first time I've watched it or the 100th time. it never fails to amaze me. There are so many details you can always fine something new. As you get older and maybe you don't relate to Chihiro you can experience the fear of being put into this new place all alone and losing who you are. You can experience characters like Yubaba with more empathy. You can feel even more grim about the climate change themes from the first spirit Chihiro has to bathe to Haku. It helps tremendously that Studio Ghibli's background in making movies for older audiences has made them able to put the same emotional complexities in their movies for kids. They don't dumb the themes of the movie down just because it's for children.

On-a-train-spirited-away GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I am going to end this saying that I understand that this isn't everybody's favorite movie. And that some people may go as far to not even like it or think it's overrated. I just want to say that everybody who thinks that is incorrect.

Rei

sYJAezW.png

I didn't get to rewatch this film but I saw it last three years ago and it still fresh on my mind. Most of the Studio Ghibli films are masterpieces and while this isn't my favourite from the studio (it is actually Ponyo) I still think Spirited Away is just a flawless film with a magnificent story and one of the best animated experiences ever. Thanks to Steven for fighting hard for this film, it deserved every save.

Alex

MVP: Mari Natsuki

Favorite Scene: Chihiro meets Yubaba.

This was fine. Maybe if the world doesn't hype Studio Ghibli up so much I wouldn't be finishing all of them wondering "that's it". I really expect to be swept away into the movie magic of these, and there's a lot to praise here. Specifically the animation and world building. Obviously the animation is top notch and makes it stand above the rest. This was my second Studio Ghibli film where I'm completely entranced by the first half and loving entering this strange and beautiful new world. Meet all these characters. Explore the location. And then the plot advances and it's very...fine. I don't have any issues with the plot. It's certainly not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. But my expectations were possibly too high and I can't say they were met. I found myself getting bored. I was checking my phone. The big emotional moment of Haku remembering his identity made me feel nothing. And holy shit, I couldn't care one bit that those awful, awful parents were rescued. Keep them as pigs forever for all I care! Idk why I ranked this above Eternal Sunshine, I must've really been in my feelings about the Kirsten Dunst and Tom Wilkininson affair at the time lol. Either way, this is still an objectively great film. Congratulations to its fans for getting it here. Not one of the greatest movies I've ever seen though.

Derek

Okay so you guys might remember the first time I watched this because it was recently. It was after I cut Chihiro from the Disney Characters game and ruined Dee’s life. I stand by the cut because Chihiro is NOT a Disney character but I fulfilled my promise to actually watch the movie. I had only ever seen Princess Mononoke of the Ghibli films at that point. Since then I have watched the entire catalogue of Ghibli films and even made my own ranking and tier list for them! Not really relevant to this game except that Spirited Away was in the top tier, along with Princess Mononoke and Howl’s Moving Castle. I kind of go back and forth with whether I personally prefer Howl’s to Spirited, but I can easily accept that Spirited is the more acclaimed one and probably objectively better. 

Anyway, on my first watch I used the English dub because the English dubs for Ghibli are second to none. Daveigh Chase (AKA Lilo from Lilo & Stitch), Jason Marsden, David Ogden Stiers (Cogsworth), Susan Egan (Meg from Hercules), John Ratzenberger (in every Pixar movie). 

And I rewatched it again for this game! This time with subs. Just as good, I and after watching I can’t pick out any difference in the experience honestly. So like most people I will say that dub/sub are pretty equal for this movie. 

This film is an expert study in liminal space. That’s something Studio Ghibli always does sooooo well. It’s what contributes to that serene, nostalgic, somber atmosphere that you see in a lot of the scenes. I definitely liked the movie more upon rewatch. Was able to enjoy the animation more and really ruminate and get immersed. Every single scene is gif-worthy. Really gorgeous imagery. Like some other films in the finals here, I think it is definitely not out of place as one of the Top 20 of the decade, although personally for me I’m not sure it makes the cut.

I do think the Haku/Chihiro connection about him saving her shoe is still a little weird to me lol. It just feels really random and shoe-horned into the narrative. I think the movie could work totally fine without that, just add a way for her to learn his real name from the twin sister witch. or he just remembers because she killed the bug inside him. The whole skydiving revelation scene is weird. That scene is the weakest part of the movie to me. But again, not a dealbreaker and I can see why it is so beloved and acclaimed. 

Diana

Here is the thing, I know all of you expected me to petty cut this film or rank it last but my husband talked a little sense into me explaining the culture and importance behind this film. On top of that it is his number movie ever so Mr. Diana gets this one. I also feel the fellow rankers saved it so many times it would be only fair for it to be here. And Steven was kind to me all game so in the end I am going to place it fairly.

Anime is just not something I am into but I have seen this film and it is often given high praise as one of the best ever so I will give it it's props for my husband and the fans in this game.

If it wins, my husband is in trouble ')

Chris

779b2b193e212daed5c327b17073f17968e3e58e.gifv65fcb519febd417334579d855967b9ce3572f397.gifv58760ddcc50095c53b05947982df9d1ffeb8f162.gifv

Spirited Away is a beloved film among Studio Ghibli fans and I'm happy to see it in the Top 20. While I personally enjoy the film, I can't rank it any higher than this spot, as there are other films that I like better. Nonetheless, credit must be given to Steven for getting the film into the Top 20 despite the target it had throughout the rankdown.

Alex's comments about the film were spot on: it's a cute movie. The film has a powerful message, well-developed characters, a compelling story and stunning animation. It's no surprise that Spirited Away has such a dedicated fan base and is considered one of the greatest anime films of all time.

Overall, I love Spirited Away and think it is a must see film. However, as stated before, I can't rank it higher than its current position. And I remain curious where it will land considering everyone likes the film at the exception of one individual. 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Final Reveal - #3 Posted)

Oooh wow, Spirited Away doesn't win. 😮 Oops, I was expecting it to win after Juno showed up. :dead: But well done to the fans on getting this really far. I'm also surprised with how high Chris and Diana ranked it as I thought they both would have put it in their Bottom 5s. :haha: 

Hmmm don't really know what will win of this Top 2. I guess I have a preference for... whatever my #15 is to win, I guess. :dead: 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Thank God it didn’t win? Maybe this Top 20 reveal did end our friendship lol. 🥴

*go back and check where you ranked my 1,2,3,4* 

Ooh, very interesting! :giggle: