Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

THE BOURNE IDENTITY

The Bourne Identity is an action-adventure pseudo-science fiction film that was released in 2002. It is the first film in the Bourne saga, and an adaptation of the 1980 novel of the same name. I am just finding out there was a 1988 made-for-TV adaptation of said novel???? WHAT? I have to look it up to see if it's as bad as I'm thinking it is. At any rate, The Bourne Identity stars Matt Damon, Franka Potente, Chris Cooper, Clive Owen, Brian Cox and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. The basic premise of the film is that a man who goes by the pseudonym Jason Bourne wakes up and has no recollection of his - you guessed it - identity. Chaos ensures involving terrorists and the CIA. The film ended up being a box office success, as evidenced by the fact that four additional films followed. It's a fun way to kill two hours, but I prefer Thirteen Ghosts to it, so out it goes here.

SAVE: Thirteen Ghosts

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven’s Noms Next)

NOMINATIONS 
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
Thirteen Ghosts (2001)
Nicholas Nickleby (2002)

The Dreamers (2003) 

The Butterfly Effect (2004) 

Tsotsi (2005) 

The History Boys (2006) 

The Counterfeiters (2007) 

Let the Right One In (2008) 

The White Ribbon (2009)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas film poster.jpg

If you can believe, I think I saw this for the first time last year. I'm a big Jim Carrey fan but this never appealed to me whatsoever. I love practical effects and make-up as much as the next person but overall this gave off really creepy vibes to me (without having seen it). And I was always thankful that the Cat in the Hat flopped and we didn't have to suffer through any more live action Seuss stuff. Now that I've actually seen it, I don't think it was really that awful and I can kind of understand the appeal it might have had. It's funny because I was probably the target audience for this movie when it came out and I never gave it a chance, and now I don't have any nostalgia attached to it and have no need to keep it around. With this cut I think we are officially at 300!

Save Let the Right One In

• Sad 1

The Counterfeiters

The_Counterfeiters_(2007_film).jpg

I like some war moves, but I've never seen this, so an easier cut for me. The Counterfeiters is a Austrian-German war drama film written and directed by Stefan Ruzowitsky. It fictionalizes Operation Bernhard, a secret plan by Nazi Germany during World War II to destabilize the United Kingdom by flooding its economy with forged pound notes from the Bank of England. The film's story focuses on Salomon 'Sally' Sorowitsch, Jewish counterfeiter who is coerced into assisting the operation at a Sachsenhausen concentration camp. It's based on a Czech-language memoir that was later translated into English. It won a Best Foreign Language Film Oscar and has a 93% RT rating but out it must go now.

Save: Nicholas Nickleby

THE WHITE RIBBON

Released in 2009, The White Ribbon is a drama film that was written and directed by Michael Hank. The film is from Germany and is entirely in black-and-white; according to Wikipedia, its basic premise is portraying a dark depiction of society and a family in a northern German village just before World War I is set to begin. The film had its premiere at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival in May 2009, where it won the prestigious Palme d'Or award. It went on to receive many positive reviews and several awards. The film was nominated for two separate awards at the Academy Awards in 2010, but won neither of them. The film has since grossed $19.3 million against its $18 million budget.

SAVE: The Butterfly Effect

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven’s Noms Posted)

The Dreamers

The choice between cutting a movie I don't know vs a movie with Shannon Elizabeth (let's just pretend I didn't just nominate it forgetting she was in it though ) easy choice for me.

Dreamers has 60 percent on rotten tomates anyway so it isn't a real big loss by any means.

The Dreamers is a 2003 romantic drama film directed by Bernardo Bertolucci and is another  romance movie based a book which was the 988 novel The Holy Innocents. I like romance movies obviously but this one looks uninteresting based on the trailer so no thank you.  Good for it getting this far I guess.

Saving Thirteen Ghosts

• Sad 2

AfraidGiddyBee-size_restricted.gif

DifficultAdorableIndochinesetiger-size_restricted.gif

Tsotsi is a film that I'm not familiar with, and therefore, it is an easy cut out of the nominated films ; It was released in 2005 and it is a film by Gavin Hood. Inspired by a novel of the same name, this crime drama takes place in Johannesburg, South Africa where it follows Tsotsi who is referred to as a thug, and he ends up finding a baby in a car that he stole - I am sure the movie follows the aftermath of this scenario.  The movie was met with plenty of acclaim especially for the writing, directing, acting, and cinematography.  In fact, it won the 2006 Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film where it became the first South African film to win as well the first African film not made en Francais to win the award.  This is a great showing for this movie!

SAVING: THE HISTORY BOYS

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Next)