Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

VENUS (2006)

MV5BNTY1MjA3OTg2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk2

Venus is a film starring Peter O'Toole as an aging actor named Maurice. He is introduced to his friend's grandniece Jessie, and he finds himself attracted to her. Considering the age difference between them, I don't think this is a relationship the audience should be rooting for. The film explores the relationship between these two characters. Maurice gets more smitten with her, but Jessie doesn't entertain any romance between them (although she does flirt with him to try to get him to buy her presents). As for the title of the film, Venus comes from a painting called the Rokeby Venus. Maurice takes Jessie to the museum to show her his favorite painting. Jessie also has an interest in modeling, and Maurice nicknames her Venus after she poses nude for an art class. The relationship between Maurice and Jessie does not go well after Jessie asks Maurice to leave the apartment so she can have sex with a guy. A scuffle ensues, which results in Maurice getting injured. Jessie feels guilty, and she decides to look after Maurice. After he slightly recovers, Maurice takes Jessie seaside at Whitstable. He says "Now, we can really talk" before dying right there. Anyway, reading about this film doesn't make me interested in watching it. I'm sure Peter O'Toole and Jodie Whitaker give great performances though. As for what the critics thought of the film, Venus has a 88% approval rating. The consensus reads: "Audiences may attend to witness Peter O'Toole's Oscar-worthy performance, but they'll also be treated to a humane, tender exploration of maturing with both dignity and irreverence."

Saving The Mummy Returns.

the-mummy.gif

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek & Tom's Noms Posted)

definitely-maybe-54c38a24c5b5d.png

TxSFQj.gif

This one shouldn't come as a surprise considering that I've nominated it a few times, and it has certainly passed its lifespan in the rankdown. For those unfamiliar with the movie, it was released in 2008 and if you can't tell by the movie title, it's a romantic comedy.  It features Ryan Reynolds, Isla Fisher, Rachel Weisz, Elizabeth Banks, Abigail Bresline and Kevin Kline - the cast's almost too good for the movie.  The movie is about a father who tells the story about how he met her mom but she is unsure who she is as he changed the name of the people in the story. If you love these kind of movies then you might enjoy this one, but it's nothing groundbreaking and at this point of the rankdown, this is a more than generous spot. 

SAVING: BROTHERS

Bronson

l-intro-1662056890.jpg

I haven't seen either film, but I decided to give the advantage to Jane Campion over Nicolas Winding Refn though I'm a fan of both directors. Bronson is a 2008 biopic starring Tom Hardy who is playing Charles Bronson, a notorious prisoner from Britain. This prisoner became infamous for staging over a dozen hostage situations while in prison. That's impressive stuff! The film got above average reviews, but the passion seemed to really be behind Hardy's performance. I'm not a huuuuuge Tom Hardy guy, but I do like him and I can imagine he gave a great performance here. This is a movie I'd maybe like to see one day, but evidently no one's all that passionate about it or else they would've jumped in to save it by now.

Save Bright Star

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven & Derek's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven & Derek's Noms Posted)

Where the Wild Things Are

You know this is one of my favorite books ever so imagine my disappointment when they made it in to a film that was just so badly done. Nothing about it lived up to the hype of the book and disappointmented many. Where the Wild Things Are was released in 2009 and somehow has a 73 percent on rotten tomatoes which to me is very generous. It wasn't good and did not really meet the expectations I and many had.. I think they should of just left it as a book and moved on because it was that bad to me..sorry if anyone liked it.

Saving How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Edited by *Diana

Brothers_(film)_Logo.png

tumblr_p84dlqlCGV1wh07kuo1_500.gif

A movie that I previously saved, but mainly due to the fact that I had to save a movie, but out of this list I am totally fine with cutting "Brothers" from the rankdown.  It was released in 2009, and it features Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal in the two main role, as well as Natalie Portman.  The stories follows Tobey Maguire's character who is presumed deceased following being a prison of war in Afghanistan. He eventually returns back to his home country where he is dealing with PTSD all while reintegrating the society and the repercussions following his release - he is convinced that his brother is having an affair with his wife.   In my opinion, the movie is just fine and I've seen the matter being better approached in other series or movies ; The film had mixed reviews but still received praises, mainly due to Tobey's acting in it. 

SAVING: A MIGHTY HEART

BRIGHT STAR

Released in 2009, Bright Star stars Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish. The film was written and directed by Jane Campion, and is a romantic drama film based off the final three years in the life of poet John Keats and his relationship with Fanny Brawne. The screenplay for Bright Star was adapted / inspired by a 1997 biography by Andrew Motion, who additionally served as the script consultant. The film initially premiered at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival before its wide release on May 15, 2009. The film garnered positive reviews from critics, as it has an 83% at Rotten Tomatoes, and it received several nominations and awards. Against its $8 million budget, the film grossed $14 million, so it did turn in a profit. I believe it was just nominated so clearly someone wants it out, so I'm happy to oblige.

SAVE: Monster's Ball

Edited by Elliott

Adventureland

Adventurelandposter.jpg

Adventureland has been saved by Steven before, but now that he's nominated it and it's been on my list of movies to nominate for a while now, I think it's safe to let it go. Adventureland is a romantic teen comedy released in 2009 that was wirtten ad directed by Greg Mottola. It involves recent college grad James Brennan (played by Jesse Eisenberg) wanting to begin his long-anticipated dream trip to Europe. Unfortunately, when his parents announce that they are unable to subsidize his trip his plans come to a screeching halt. When he is forced to take a job at the local amusement park, James prepares for the worst summer ever, but he ends up falling in love with a co-worker named Em (played by Kristen Stewart). Will this love last? I guess you'll have to watch the movie and find out, but it's not going to be very high on my watchlist. 

Save: The Last Samurai

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven & Diana’s Noms Next)

Monster's Ball (2001)

Monsterspub1.jpg

I looooove Halle Berry. Let's ask Alex for his input:

On 12/8/2022 at 1:05 PM, Alex95 said:

she became the first WOC to win an Oscar for Lead Actress, and is still the only one to do that to this day yikes. ...Even her Oscar winning performance in Monster's Ball, as great as she was, the movie sucks if we're being honest.

This movie I have actually seen. It was very... striking. A lot of memorable moments. Definite Oscar bait and Halle did a good job. But she did have to pretend to have sex with Billy Bob Thornton. The whole plot felt a little exploitative tbh. Let's torture Halle so she can win an award kind of thing. Idk I saw it way back in college. And I always remember Heath's part as well. But after what happened with Twitch yesterday, today feels like a good day to forget Heath's part in this movie and let this entire movie go. Ugh now I'm getting sad again. I've saved this a couple times but we're nearing the 200s and I'm ready to put this one out of my mind now.

Save Butterfly Effect, because it's mandatory at this point tbh