Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek & Diana's Noms Posted)

Closer

I’ll choose the movie I know the least about and be done with it since I’m not ready to let Orphan go yet. Closer is a romance movie released in 2004 that stars Natalie Portman, Jude Law, Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. Looking at the description, it involves two relationships that form by chance and they disintegrate as the years go by. Seems that the point of the movie is not fall into relationships too quickly as people can change no matter how close they become, but not anything I’d be interested in watching, despite having Natalie Portman and a strong supporting cast in it.

Save: Orphan 

PLANET TERROR (2007)

MV5BODdmNmM2ZTgtODM1MS00ZGMxLTk3MTMtMGQ1ODZhMTQ1NWEwL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Planet Terror is described as an action horror film. The characters in this film are survivors of a biochemical outbreak, but now they have to deal with zombies and a rogue military unit. After watching the trailer on YouTube, I realize this movie is actually a comedy. The dialogue seems silly. At one point a mother tells her son to shoot anybody that comes. He asks what if it's his dad. She replies, "Especially if it's your dad." I guess this isn't a movie to be taken seriously, but it looks like they put effort into the action sequences. There seem to be some ridiculous moments in this film, which includes Rose McGowan's character losing a leg and having it replaced with a rifle (as you can see in the poster above). And she uses this rifle to battle against zombies. Based on what I saw in the trailer, this doesn't seem like my type of movie, but I suppose I can see why people would find this to be entertaining. Lots of comments under the YouTube video are of fans who really enjoyed this film. As for what the critics thought, Planet Terror has a 76% approval rating. The consensus reads: "A cool and hip grindhouse throwback, Planet Terror is an unpredictable zombie thrillride."    

Saving Miracle.

0e91e174bb9bbdedb143fc21d22958b6.gif

ddsh1jb-c8f2c156-3161-4030-ab56-638524aecf66.png

As a musical fan, Nine is one of the few musical that I've never cared for, wether on Broadway or the movie ; Although I do have a soft spot for the 2003 revival especially with Laura Benanti's performance.  For those unfamiliar with Nine, it premiered in 1982 on Broadway & it was composed and produced by Maury Yeston, who played a role in the movie version of the musical in 2009.  When the movie came out, I was hopeful that I may have enjoyed it especially with a cast that includes the like of of Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penélope Cruz, Judi Dench, Kate Hudson, Nicole Kidman, the legendary Sophia Loren, and even Fergie.  The plot of the musical is the story of a film director who is turning 40 years old and having a midlife crisis which is having an impact on his creativity and make him struggle with romance ; It takes palce in Venice in the 1960s ; The film definitely struggling with telling the story and the movie as whole was all over the place. Even the cast was unable to save the movie, and the fact that it got rid of a bunch of songs from the original musical likes yikes... I mean Cinema Italiano is a decent song but unsure Kate Hudson was the person needed to deliver and sell that song, and similiar with other songs. Everyone involved tried too hard to modernized the story and musical, and sometimes a musical ain't meant to be on the big screen ; Nine is a great example of that, and it certainly didn't live to people's expectation & it certainly performed terribly at the box office. 

SAVING: THE YOUNG VICTORIA

I’M NOT THERE

Released in 2017, I’m Not There is a drama that was written, directed, edited and produced by Michelle Shumacher. Jordan Peele realness. I’m Not There stars stars J.K. Simmons, Sebastian Stan, Maika Monroe, Mandy Moore, Max Greenfield and Iain Armitage. Though the film premiered at the Raindance Film Festival in September 2017, it didn’t receive a wide release until March 2019. The film holds a rating of 38% at Rotten Tomatoes. I’ve never seen or heard of the film but it has a bunch of actors I like in it.

8 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I’M NOT THERE

Released in 2017, I’m Not There is a drama that was written, directed, edited and produced by Michelle Shumacher. Jordan Peele realness. I’m Not There stars stars J.K. Simmons, Sebastian Stan, Maika Monroe, Mandy Moore, Max Greenfield and Iain Armitage. Though the film premiered at the Raindance Film Festival in September 2017, it didn’t receive a wide release until March 2019. The film holds a rating of 38% at Rotten Tomatoes. I’ve never seen or heard of the film but it has a bunch of actors I like in it.

Do you think released in 2017 is the film in the Films of the 2000's game? 👁️👄👁️

• Haha 4

I'm Not There

imnotthere.jpg

Well someone needs to cut the actual I'm Not There and not the 2017 movie I'm Not Here that no one's ever heard of. People have actually heard of this movie! Tbh I would've saved it over Crazy Heart despite not having seen it cause Crazy Heart was a snooze. But I just want this round to end and not to rock the boat as host. I'm Not There is a 2007 biopic of Bob Dylan directed by Toby Haynes of Carol fame. It shows Bob Dylan's various stages of his life by having different actors playing him. Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Marcus Carl Franklin, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger, and Ben Whishaw all played him. Unfortunately this was Ledger's last role :broken:. Biopics can be boring to me, but this actually sounds very interesting using all these different talented actors. I mean Cate Blanchett and Richard Gere playing the same person? I_would_like_to_see_it.gif. Especially since Haynes is such a talented director. Cate Blanchett received an Oscar nomination for her performance. Now I'm Not Here, the 2017 movies, and I'm Not There are eliminated.

Save Crazy Heart

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Tom's Noms Next)

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

You know what I am just going to say it and get my unpopular opinion out there, Star Wars is horrible. Okay no tell my husband I said I do not want to get divorced. Anyway, I don't know I have never been able to get into it and i know many people love it, I just don't. I do not think you could pay me to sit though all the movies. Cutting one is just like cutting them all to me so this was a pretty easy cut. Also Hayden Christensen is a terrible actor, he is lucky he is attractive. The only sad thing about this movie is cutting a movie with Queen Natalie Portman in it, that is it. The film was a 79 percent on RT so average at best.

Saving: The Proposal

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Tom's Noms Posted)

Marley & Me (2008)

MarleyPoster.jpg

Good lord, a dog movie almost made the top 300. A dead dog movie. I can't let that happen. This comedy with Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston set a record for biggest christmas opening day ever. Tragic. This year for Christmas, we are cutting this movie. Merry Christmas. This is about how a couple adopt a puppy to see if they are ready to have kids. It takes place in South Florida, so that's familiar to me. It basically is just the milestones of a couple's relationship interspersed with bad dog antics and then ends when the dog dies years later. It really sounds awful to me but maybe people like this kind of emotional schlock. 

Save Red Eye