Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

The Holiday

Theholidayposter.jpg

The Holiday is a lighthearted romantic comedy and a Christmas tale. How has this not already been nominated and cut? I'm disappointed in you Elliott, lol. The story involves Iris from England (played by Kate Winslet) who has been dumped and is depressed. She meets Amanda from California (played by Cameron Diaz) online and they agree to swap homes to escape heartbreak during the Chritmas season. Iris finds herself in a Hollywood mansion while Amanda is in a picture-perfect English village. They each end up meeting a local lad and falling in love. It was directed by Nancy Myers and has a 51% rating on RT. This movie doesn't sound like my thing in the slightest and I won't be seeking it out, so out it goes. 

Save: The History Boys

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Posted)

HOLLYWOODLAND (2006)

MV5BMTc4ODQ2OTI5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDIyNjYzMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Hollywoodland is a crime thriller starring Adrien Brody, Diane Lane, and Ben Affleck. The film is a fictionalized account of the mysterious death of George Reeves. Reeves was famous for playing Superman in the '50s television series Adventures of Superman. He was found dead by a gunshot wound to his head, and his death was ruled as a suicide. However, various elements of the evidence found at the crime scene raised doubts whether he did commit suicide. No fingerprints were recovered from the gun, and the placements of where bullet fragments were found raised questions. There were theories that Reeves was murdered instead. Documentaries about George Reeve may be more interesting than this film, especially since it's a fictionalized account. I haven't heard of this film before, but I'd be more interested in reading about what may have happened to George Reeves than watching this film. As for what the critics thought, Hollywoodland has a 68% approval rating. The consensus reads: "More than a movie star murder mystery, Hollywoodland takes it slow in order to reveal the intriguing details of the rise and fall of superstar fame."

Saving The Illusionist

FjCzHV.gif

Good Shepherd

I have seen my fair amount of spy films and unfortunately for me I had a ex who made me sit though The Good Shepherd so I feel like it is more than a fair cut at this point in the rankdown.  I guess you could say I am not a fan of y Robert De Niro but that is beside the point. This was not his best work regardless. The film was released in 2004 and also has major stars in like g Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, and Alec Baldwin. For so many big names, it wasn't received well with the critics or public a like receiving a low 56 percent on rotten tomatoes.

Saving Akeelah and the Bee

Babel

2006-Babel-04.jpg

Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Harriet Walter, Gael García Bernal, Elle Fanning, Rinko Kikuchi, this cast could appeal to damn near anyone. Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, this was obviously one of the biggest films of 2006. Unfortunately, the movie didn't really work for me. The movie is about four interconnecting plots which take place in four completely different locations and are all connected. At 143 minutes long, I honestly couldn't wait for the movie to end. It was just miserable. And I don't really think it had all that much to say. I've tried so many times with AGI, but I'm simply just not a fan of his work. This film actually got mixed reviews, but still got nominated for Best Picture, Director, and a pair of Supporting Actress nominations for Adriana Barraza and Rinko Kikuchi, which were absolutely deserving since their performances were the best part of the movie.

Save Marie Antoinette

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Noms Next)

Elf

Elf_movie.jpg

Elf is a Christmas comedy film that was directed by Jon Favreau, written by David Berenbaum and released in 2003. It stars Will Ferrell as Buddy, a human raised by Santa's elves, who learns about his origins and heads to New York City to meet his biological father. Buddy was accidentally transported to the North Pole as a toddler and raised to adulthood among Santa's elves and he had always felt that he didn't fit in. Thus he goes to New York to seach for him. He turns out to be cynical businessman Walter Hobbs (played by James Caan). The rest of the film is about Buddy's attempts to start a relationship with him which proves messy. It has an 85% on RT but it's not for me.

Save: Holes

Charlie's Angels (2000)

Charlies Angels (2000) Poster.jpg

Lucy Liu, with my girl Drew, Cameron D. and Destiny. Charlie's Angels, come on. Uh. Question: tell me what you think about me? People were mixed on what to think about this movie. Was it a campy and/or meta fun action flick with sexy women leads? Or was it a brainless unoriginal borderline parody? I didn't hate it as much as some critics, but it's still not something that I feel any attachment to for this game, particularly against some other movies on this nomination list. Everyone knows that the movie is based on the old TV series from 1976, originally featuring Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson, and Jaclyn Smith. Before Lucy was cast, they were originally considering Thandiwe Newton and Foxy Brown. 

Save Sin City

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Noms Posted)

MARIE ANTOINETTE (2006)

MV5BNDViNjYxNWYtMWRiOS00NmMyLTgwNDMtNTg3MWYwNjAxNWM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I'm sure you can guess what this film is about based on the title. Marie Antoinette was an interesting historical figure, the last Queen of France before the French Revolution. The film examines her life when she arrived at France until the start of the French Revolution. She was just a child when she was married off to the Dauphin and then later became unpopular due to her lavish spending. The film portrays her as someone who didn't know better and tried to become more responsible, but it was too late. The film doesn't include her death. I believe it just ends with the Storming of the Bastille. But we all know what Marie Antoinette's fate ends up being: execution by guillotine. Based on the trailer, this film seems to take a more comedic approach to the story of Marie Antoinette. The trailer is edited like a teen flick. I'm sure Kirsten Dunst is great in the role, but I doubt this is a film I'll seek out to watch. I wonder if students studying the French Revolution watch this film in class. I didn't in my high school. Instead, we read A Tale of Two Cities. Anyway, as for what the critics thought of this film, Marie Antoinette has a 57% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Lavish imagery and a daring soundtrack set this film apart from most period dramas; in fact, style completely takes precedence over plot and character development in Coppola's vision of the doomed queen."

Saving Freaky Friday.

freaky-friday-gif.gif?w=466