Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Layer Cake

Layer Cake is a British crime thriller that was released in 2004 and directed by Matthew Vaughn. It has some stars in the cast, including Daniel Craig, Tom Hardy, Michael Gambon, Ben Whishaw and Sienna Miller. It involves a mid-level cocaine dealer planning to step away from the lifestyle, but he’s given two assignments: kidnap a rival dealer’s daughter and broker a large shipment of ecstasy pills. It has an 80% rating on RT but it wasn’t for me as I found it painfully slow and couldn’t connect to or root for the characters on either side. This makes it an easy cut to make now despite me liking this genre more often that not. 

Save: The Machinist 

Edited by ~Tom~

THE GREAT DEBATERS (2007)

MV5BMTQxMDc1NzkwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI5MjU1MQ@@._V1_.jpg

The Great Debaters is based on a true story of the Wiley Debate team of the 1930s. Directed and starring Denzel Washington, he plays debate coach Marvin B. Tolson. Wiley College is a historically black college, and he manages to place their debate team on equal footing with whites while Jim Crow laws were common. The Wiley Debate team does manage to succeed in defeating reigning champion Harvard University. For some reason, the film wanted the rival school to be Harvard when the actual reigning champion debate team was the University of Southern California. Wiley College still won, so that's what really counts for the story being told here. But they apparently weren't allowed to call themselves champions as they were not official members of the debate society. Black people weren't admitted until after World War II. Anyway, the film is presented in an inspiring, yet formulaic way. It's meant to be a feel-good movie about the importance of education and determination. As for what the critics thought, the film has an 80% approval rating. The consensus reads: "A wonderful cast and top-notch script elevate The Great Debaters beyond a familiar formula for a touching, uplifting drama."

Saving The Polar Express.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ab64b44844dc5d4af95cf43f8d73be4d7002ebfe&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

d6e3b924becb7d6d38c08ed07259cf1224f970d1

Released in 2004, The Bourne Supremacy is an action thriller that is the second film of the Jason Bourne series, inspired by the Bourne novel series. It obviously starred Matt Damon in the role on Jason Bourne which we continue to follow this former CIA assassin who is suffering from psychogenic amnesia, and we learn more from his past such as his background and his time in the CIA.  Overall, I did enjoy the Bourne series from what I've seen from it but overall, it's not one I am super passionate about & I am totally fine with it leaving at this point of the rankdown.

SAVING: LE GRAND VOYAGE

Girl With a Pearl Earring

Girl With a Pearl Earring is my choice to cut. But debating between a Tom Cruise movie and a Scarlett Johansson movie to cut took me a minute because I hate both of them LMAO. Anyway, I ended up going with Girl With a Pearl Earring because I found Scarlett's performance in this movie entirely overrated like everything else she does. It is a average film at best but honestly mostly all of these films were mediocre regardless. This move has a 73 percent on rotten tomatoes so again average. I will take an opportunity to cut a film that is so highly overrated without a second glance. Bye now!

Saving Miracle

As It Is in Heaven

as%20it%20is%20in%20heaven-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg?v=33be101d4c

A Swedish musical?! Sounds like a lot of fun to me tbh! A famous composer moves back to his small hometown after some heart troubles. He ends up teaching in a local church choir, but has to be accepted by the town. Actually, it all sounds very sweet and lowkey cheesy lol. While it has an 83% on rottentomatoes, that's based on a meager six reviews lmao. I haven't seen this movie so I cannot fully judge it. Swedish musical sounds fun, but joining the church choir looking for acceptance just screams Hallmark Original Movie. It did receive a nomination for best foreign language film at the Academy Awards. But Crash (which is somehow still in this game??????) won Best Picture one year so whocurr. I haven't seen this movie and I have seen Collateral so yeah let's cut this and keep things moving

Save Collateral 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Next)

Whale Rider

Whale_Rider_movie_poster.jpg

Whale Rider is a New Zealand drama film drama film that was wirtten and directed by Niki Caro. Released in 2002, it is based on the 1987 novel The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. Whale Rider stars Keisha Castle-Hughes as Kahu Paikea Apirana, a twelve-year-old Māori girl whose ambition is to become the chief of the tribe. Her koro (a word for grandparent in New Zealand) Apirana, her tradiional grandfather believes that this is a role reserved for only males. When her twin dies at birth, Kahu is faced with the task of winning her grandfather over. The film received critical acclaim upon its release, and Keisha Castle-Hughes became the youngest nominee for the Academy Award for Best Actress at only age 13. Aso has  91% rating on RT but I've never heard of it so sorry if there are any fans.

Save: Nicholas Nickleby

Bend It Like Beckham (2002)

Two sporty girls hugging.

I have a soft spot for this movie mostly because it introduced the world to Parminder Nagra. After this she joined the cast of ER and was a main cast member from Season 10 to the final season 15. I loooooved Neela on ER, she was probably my favorite to watch after Abby and was my main reason for tuning in while the show had its... special late season plotlines and weird moments lol. Reminder that ER seasons 1-8 is the best and 9-15 is... still enjoyable to me but more soap operay and dramatic, like how I imagine Grey's Anatomy is or whatever. What are we talking about again? Oh yeah, Parminder made her mainstream debut with this film alongside Keira Knightley. This movie is about how the two leads want to become professional football (AKA soccer) players, but their families are not supportive. It got pretty decent reviews but isn't a super groundbreaking or iconic movie IMO. A lot of the plot is about the main character's Indian Sikh upbringing while living in London. Culture issues play a big role here. It actually got a golden globe nomination for best film (comedy) and some other nominations at international film stuff. Won a GLAAD award as well

Save 

The Barbarian Invasions

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was released on December 31, 2022. The film was George Clooney's directorial debut. Apparently George Clooney directs too and not just badly acts?  Interesting. The film has a pretty strong cast with Sam Rockwell, Julia Roberts, Drew Barrymore, and George Clooney himself. The film received 79 percent on Rotten Tomatoes which based on 165 reviews.  Have I seen the movie myself? No but I did watch the trailer and I was not too good based on that. I have no interest in it at all. It had success with the critics so that is cool. Fair placement for it.

Saving: Enchanted

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Posted)

FAR FROM HEAVEN (2002)

MV5BMTE5ODI3MTM4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjE5OTg2._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Far From Heaven is a film set in the 1950s. To capture the feeling of the time period, the cinematography was made in the style of many 1950s films. Julianne Moore plays a housewife named Cathy whose life is turned upside down after she walks in on her husband Frank kissing another man. As her marriage falls apart, she befriends a gardener named Raymond. Cathy and Raymond spend time together, but their friendship becomes a topic of gossip since Raymond is a black man. It becomes a scandal and Cathy fires Raymond to stop the rumors. In the meantime, Cathy and Frank attempt to repair their marriage. However, it's not possible after Frank ends up asking for a divorce in the end. Cathy tries to make amends with Raymond, but he rejects her. The rumors surrounding him and Cathy affected his daughter. She was bullied and got concussed after someone threw a rock to her head. The rumors hurt his business too. Raymond must do what is best for his daughter, so he is moving out of state. So, it's not a happy ending for Julianne Moore's character in this film. As for what the critics thought. Far From Heaven has an 87% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "An exquisitely designed and performed melodrama, Far From Heaven earns its viewers' tears with sincerity and intelligence."

Saving A Tale of Two Sisters.

FickleEcstaticHadrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

• Sad 1