Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Snakes on a Plane

snakes-on-a-plane-samuel-l-jackson.gif

Since Derek already did the Lord's work saving Butterfly Effect, let's save another decent horror film on the list that shouldn't go just yet. Alas, something has to be cut and I have chosen Snakes on a Plane since I think the comedies might have more longeitivity in this game. I'm sure we all known Snakes on a Plane for the memes (see above). It was released in 2006, diredcted by David Ellis and stars Samuel L Jackson. The first line on IMDB makes me laugh: "The plot on this bad-boy is razor thin with a pathetic, throw-away villain." Bahaha, so true. It involves FBI agent Nelville Flynn (played Samuel L. Jackson) boarding a flight from Hawaii to Los Angeles and an on-board assassin releases a crate of deadly serpents in an attempt to kill Neville's trial witness. Flynn must work with the passengers and crew to survive the snakes. I'm sure we've all seen it at some point but it's expendable so out it goes.

Save: Final Destination 2

Edited by ~Tom~

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven & Diana’s Noms Posted)

the-last-samurai-506a01e2cde3a.png

BothPlaintiveArkshell-size_restricted.gif

As I've nominated the movie in the past, it's only makes sense that I am now cutting The Last Samurai from the rankdown ; I've never seen it but Tom Cruise being involved in it is enough for me to not watch it.   The movie was released in 2003, it is considered a period action film, and it features Tom Cruise, Timothy Spall, Billy Connolly, Tony Goldwyn, Hiroyuki Sanada, Koyuki, and Shin Koyamada.  The film is essentially Tom Cruise's character who gets into conflict with Samurai warriors in 19th century Japan - it was inspired by the 1877 Satsuma Rebellion, as well as a story by Jules Brunet.  The movie did receive positive reviews by critics but it still have a mediocre score on RT - perhaps one of the lowest in the rankdown. Anyway, the movie is now out & apologies if anyone is a big fan of this epic action period drama film as they like to call it.

SAVING: A MIGHTY HEART

THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN

Released in 2005, The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a Judd Apatow comedy film that I feel like pretty much all of us have seen. The film came as a result of Steve Carell's performance in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, and I feel like it essentially was the launch pad for Steve Carell being a leading comedy star. Co-starring Paul Rudd, Seth Rogan, Romany Malco and Catherine Keener, The 40-Year-Old Virgin tells the story of Andy (the titular character) as his coworkers discover that he's never had sex and make it their mission to help him. It's kind of akin to the teenage sex comedies, but with a bit more of an adult spin given the ages of the characters. The film was well received critically, with Steve Carell earning praise for his performance, and became a box office hit. I really enjoyed it, but up against Anchorman, it seemed like the obvious cut.

SAVE: Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Derek's Noms Next)

The Mummy Returns

The_Mummy_Returns_poster.jpg

As a horror fan, the Mummy franchise is one of those I don't consider true horror and one I had a hard time getting into. Released in 2001, it was written and directed by Stephen Sommers, and starred Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz in the lead roles. The story involves a magical pyramid about which it is written, "No one who has seen it has ever returned alive." That leads us to wonder how Rick and Evelyn ever found out about it. Taking their son Alex to explore ruins is another questionable choice. As the movie progresses, other nonsensical events occur such as the main pair dodging fireballs. Despite being a fan of ancient Egypt I don't usually like mummy movies, and this one did not have a plot I could get into. It also has one the lowest RT scores at 47% remaining in this game so out it goes.

Save: The Machinist

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris & Derek's Noms Posted)

THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS (2003)

MV5BNzNlZTZjMDctZjYwNi00NzljLWIwN2QtZWZmYmJiYzQ0MTk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

I'm surprised to see this film nominated. But if Derek is willing to let The Matrix Revolutions go, then I guess this should be a safe cut to make. So, I never watched any of the Matrix movies until the '90s film game. I finally watched the first film, and I thought it was good. Science fiction really isn't my favorite genre, but the movie was interesting. I didn't think watching it was a waste of time, but I wasn't inspired to watch the rest of the films either. So, Wikipedia tells me The Matrix Revolutions is the third installment. The world is depending on Neo to save them from a dystopia ran by robots. However, he's trapped in a limbo world while the world is stuck in a virtual reality. Specific plot details confuse me since I don't know what happened in the second film. Nonetheless, its very low Rotten Tomatoes score should be enough to justify this cut. The film has a 35% approval rating. The consensus reads: "A disappointing conclusion to the Matrix trilogy as characters and ideas take a back seat to the special effects."

Saving The Italian Job.

FtV8.gif

The Deep End

The Deep End was released in 2001. It is another thriller which isn't exactly why I cut it. It was the film of the four that I did not immediately recognize so I thought it be a fair cut for me. The Deep End does have a high rating on rotten tomates of 83 percent so that's good for for many thriller films which usually fair quite worse on that site anyway I guess if you liked that kind movie then maybe you'd like this one but I do not so I am going to cut it. It stars Tilda Swinton who I am not too fond of either so all around good cut for me. 

Saving A Knight's Tale

Disturbia

Not sure what Elliott would of done but I am bored so I guess I'll make another cut. I will cut Disturbia..one it's a bad movie, two it is a classified as a thriller which is ironic because there is absolutely nothing thrilling or scary about this film and third Shia LaBeouf is a horrible human being so that makes for a justified cut in itself. The film was released in 2007 and received a 69 percent on rotten tomates. It was badly acted and a bad story so put that all together I am a bit surprised it was still here. 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek & Diana's Noms Next)