Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

SESSION 9 (2001)

MV5BMWYyYzc4MTItOTdkOS00ZTIwLWE2N2MtZjA4N2YxMTI2NjViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Released in 2001, Session 9 is described as a psychological horror film. The characters in this film are part of an asbestos-cleaning crew. They've been hired to clean up an abandoned insane asylum in Massachusetts. And since it's a horror film, strange and mysterious events occur. The title of the film comes from a series of tapes recorded with a patient at the asylum. The recordings detail events that just so happen to be similar to those now being experienced by the clean-up crew. I watched the trailer on YouTube, and I can't say it made me interested in watching the film. Perhaps it's the trailer's fault though, because it actually seems like an interesting film based on the plot summary on Wikipedia. EW.com also did a recent feature on the film, calling it "the scariest film you can watch this Halloween." I don't doubt this is a scary film, and psychological horror usually tends to be more effective than gory horror films. It's unlikely I'll seek this film out to watch though since horror isn't my favorite genre. As for what the critics thought, Session 9 has a 64% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Relying more on atmosphere than gore, Session 9 is effectively creepy."

Saving The RIng.

if-anything-rings-2017-film-was-pretty-funny.gif?w=338&h=190&zoom=2

13 GOING ON 30

Wow, I meant this cut yesterday and forgot, so #bless that it's still here. Clearly it wasn't a big concern since I feel like I would OBVIOUSLY want to cut this film. 13 Going on 30 is yet another annoyingly bland and overrated romantic comedy that came out in the early-to-mid 2000s. It stars Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo, Judy Greer and others; even my love for Ruffles and Judy Greer can't save this nonsense. The basic premise of the film is that a 13-year-old in the year 1987, after being humiliated by her classmates, wishes she was 30. So lo and behold the next morning, she wakes up at the age of 30 in the year 2004. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 65% and received mixed response; Jennifer Garner's performance was naturally considered the highlight. Though the film did decently at the box office, it made a f*ck ton of money via home media.

SAVE: Thirteen Ghosts

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana & Elliott's Noms Next)

Thirteen Days (2000)

Thirteen days poster.jpg

Not a bad movie but I'm not anticipating major outrage over losing it at this point. It's about the Cuban Missile Crisis, something that you'd think I'd have more interest in considering my parents lived through it in Florida, but alas I do not. Kevin Costner plays the lead, a White House aide guy, and there's also actors playing JFK and Robert Kennedy. Actually, I don't know why I called him "white house guy" as I presume he's not a fictional person... Kenneth O'Donnell. Let's look him up. Special Assistant and Appointments Secretary to JFK. It seems he drank himself to death at the age of 53 after JFK and RFK were assassinated. Man that is a downer. The movie got above average reviews but nothing much beyond that. 

Save one of my immunities! Dogville

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana & Elliott's Noms Posted)

Lost in Translation

Lost_in_Translation_poster.jpg

I was requested to save Millennium Actress, and since I do like that flim I'll go ahead and honor that. Out of the rest of these options, I'm surprised Lost in Translation was nominated but since people have had a bit of time to save it I'll go ahead and do this. 

Lost in Translation was wirtten and directed by Sofia Coppola and stars Bill Murray as Bob Harris, a fading American movie star who is having a midlife crisis when he travels to Tokyo to promote Suntory whisky, and Scarlett Johansson as Charlotte, a young woman and recent college graduate who is also estranged there. They both are disoriented by feelings of jet lag and culture shock as a result of foreign travel to Japan, and they find escape in each other's company. It's subtle and the viewer is never quite sure whether ther relationship is romantic or platonic. Critics appreciated it too as it has a score of 95% on RT. In the end though, I connect to other movies on this list more, so sorry to any fans.

Save: Millennium Actress

millennium-actress-chiyoko.gif

• Sad 1

THE HOURS (2002)

MV5BMTIwMjQ4MDUxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjUxMTM3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

The Hours is a nine-time Academy Award nominated film. Nicole Kidman won Best Actress for her portrayal of Virginia Woolf. This film follows three different women during three different time periods. They are all somehow connected by Woolf's 1925 novel Mrs Dalloway. Nicole Kidman plays the author in 1923 while suffering depression and in the beginning stages of writing her book. Julianne Moore plays Laura Brown in 1951, a woman who is depressed and escapes by reading Mrs Dalloway. Meryl Streep plays Clarissa Vaughn, an editor who is getting ready to throw a party for a writer friend. She also shares the same first name as the title character of Mrs Dalloway. And plot twist, Clarissa's writer friend also happens to be the son of Laura Brown. Themes surrounding suicide and choosing life over death is prevalent throughout all three stories. I'm sure all the performances are great in this film, and Nicole Kidman's Oscar win was well-earned. I can't say I'm suddenly interested in watching this film though. As for what the critics thought, The Hours has a 79% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I thought the film would have at least a slightly higher score than that considering all its Oscar nominations. The consensus reads: "The movie may be a downer, but it packs an emotional wallop. Some fine acting on display here."

Saving Hero.

giphy.gif

poster_894.png

tumblr_ovat735iaH1qbyozeo1_400.gif

I've never seen either movies, and both of the movies have a score of 92% on RT so I decided to save the one that I believe may survive longer in the rankdown so I am cutting Werckmeister Harmonies.  While many of us may not have heard of this movie, this film has been critically acclaimed and many people even went as far to consider this as one of the best films of the 2000s, an impressive compliment considering that it was released in 2000.  It's also an Hungarian drama film that was based on a novel entilted The Melancholy of Resistance, and the film was shot in black & white to really tell the story of the movie ; The one of Janos and his uncle who lived through the Communist era in Hungary, and their willingness to help citizens who are struggling during this time. Again, a film that's highly praised & I'd love to watch it to see what's all about - as I only started having an interest for international film in the early 2000s - but for now it's out of this rankdoiwn. 

SAVING: INSOMNIA 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek & Elliott's Noms Posted)