Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

20. DRUNK ON A PLANE – DIERKS BENTLEY

27e6dbd24cdb7766a75a68fb688ec738.400x400x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QK: 2

STEVEN: 2

NICO: 15

COREY: 16

ANDY: 18

RICHARD: 18

AKSHAR: 19

CHRIS: 19

DIANA: 19

VICTORIA: 19

ALEX: 20

DEREK: 20

ELLIOTT: 20

GIGI: 20

LILY: 20

REI: 20

WALLACE: 20

STEVEN

"Drunk On A Plane" is my favorite Dierks Bentley song. It's very catchy with an easy singalong feel to it. The chorus is especially fun. The subject matter isn't exactly fun since it's about a man who was left at the altar. He goes on his honeymoon trip alone since he couldn't get a refund, and he gets drunk on the plane ride there. It's not a typical country drinking song. I'm not surprised at all this ended up ranking last overall, but at least everyone here had to listen to "Drunk On A Plane." The music video is also hilarious and worth watching.

COREY

Dierks has an irritating voice, but at least he keeps the vocals at a reasonable pace, and the song has some good instrumental backup.

ANDY

Haven't heard this

RICHARD

Country songs always stick out like a sore thumb in our top 20s, and this one is no exception. I guess this one sounds decently pretty, and I do like Dierks’s tone, but the song is just kind of generic in the grand scheme of things.

ALEX

I wish I could go back in time five minutes before ever hearing this awful song.

DEREK

I'd like to hear a version of this song covered by someone else without the twang or the steel guitar or the banjos

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a31c00ccf6bd68b19eea7b1b022ea5a66540bc52&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I have such a conflicting relationship and thoughts on "Drunk on a Plane." While I was never really a fan of this song, sometimes I kinda like it, don't mind it or don't really care for it. I guess it depends on my mood or whenever I listen to it? Sadly it's still the song I least care for in the finals. I do get the appeal of it. This song does have a nice anthemic feel to it, in its chorus. I do like the parts where he sings:

It's Mardi Gras up in the clouds
I'm up so high, I may never come down 

They all know why I'm getting drunk on a plane 

Yeah not a favorite of mine but I get the like for it. The music video is really interesting and so much is going on it. :haha: I think Dierks Bentley has the first solo country male song to make it to the Top 20 here so well done to Dierks there. I don't really know how well he will do in rankings though.

19. COME WITH ME NOW – KONGOS

5f854de342f24b1c1c696c8ac4306a65.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 1

NICO: 3

RICHARD: 6

ELLIOTT: 9

QK: 13

COREY: 14

LILY: 14

DEREK: 16

VICTORIA: 17

REI: 18

WALLACE: 18

ANDY: 19

GIGI: 19

AKSHAR: 20

CHRIS: 20

DIANA: 20

STEVEN: 20

ALEX

So excited for another year of my number one to show up in the first set :wub: 

RICHARD

I’d actually never heard this one before prior to ranking these, and maybe my feelings might change after future listens, but for the most part, I don’t love this one. I found myself digging the middle section of the song, but the rest, ehh. 

EDIT: I felt compelled to listen to this one again, and just like I suspected, I found myself liking it quite a bit more, lol. It slaps, actually. xD I think this one is going to continue being a grower for me. Good on whoever advanced this to the top 20 for broadening my musical horizons.~

COREY

Not a great song, but the chanting and the somewhat catchy beat drag you through it at a reasonable pace.

DEREK

hipster rock accordion lol k

WALLACE

5MqdQD.gif

Like I said with my #19 write-up, I'm kinda conflicted on how to rank songs #18 and #19 as they are songs I like well enough but wouldn't really call them favorites of mine.  I guess I gave this song the edge, because I feel this song has some more punch and edge to it that makes it stand out more to me. I do go through some moments of digging and really enjoying "Come with Me Now." But then I move on and get over it. :lmao:  The verses are cool but I don't care that much for them. What I most like about the song is definitely the chorus.

Whoa, come with me now
I'm gonna take you down
Whoa, come with me now
I'm gonna show you how

Those parts are so fun and catchy! :bobo: And yeah those are the parts that would get stuck in my head too. I do like the funky upbeat rock music here. :bobo: But then I'm hearing other parts of the song that I feel like I never heard before. So maybe I don't know this as well as I thought? IDK. :dead: This is a cool and fun song though.

ANDY

Dentist office music 101

STEVEN

I wasn't a fan of this one.

18. LET IT GO – IDINA MENZEL

a6010ba5a7acf9357c5bc567b051b0f6.800x800x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 3

DIANA: 4

CHRIS: 4

GIGI: 7

VICTORIA: 10

ALEX: 11

COREY: 12

RICHARD: 13

QK: 15

ELLIOTT: 16

WALLACE: 16

AKSHAR: 17

ANDY: 17

DEREK: 17

LILY: 18

NICO: 18

REI: 19

STEVEN

I didn't think a Disney song would make it to the Top 20, so I'm pleasantly surprised "Let It Go" made it to the final vote here. "Let It Go" was insanely popular, but I think its hype was deserved. There are a lot of Disney songs I would rank higher than "Let It Go," but I do think "Let It Go" is a great song. I like the lyrics and Idina Menzel's powerful delivery. I understand why some people got tired of how overplayed this song was, but its popularity never bothered me.

ALEX

We now have precedent for We Don’t Talk About Bruno to make the top 20 :wub: 

COREY

Very little instrumental backup, but the singing is a powerful force.

RICHARD

It’s tough to rank this song since it was made for a Disney movie and doesn’t fit in with most of these others. Idina’s voice is great on the track, but overall, I think I’ve just grown sick of this song over the years.

WALLACE

giphy-2.gif

It's kinda weird seeing "Let It Go" in the finals amongst this group of songs because I definitely think of it more as a big Disney hit song, rather than a song that was big radio hit/singles like most of these. But "Let It Go" did certainly get some Top 40 and Hot AC (and am sure other formats) airplay, which helped it make it here. And deservingly so. But it's just so tricky and hard for me how to rank this song in particular. :haha: "Let It Go" was such a huge Disney song and it was everywhere. Idina Menzel sounds really beautiful and powerful on this song as well. Idina sings such a powerful story here too. She pours so much raw emotion here. I do love the parts where she sings in the pre-chorus.

Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know!

Then the chorus is great and very powerful where she sings:

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door! 

I don't care
What they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway!

Idina does really deliver some really powerful vocals throughout the song, but I especially love how she sings the last few lines of the bridge of the song and the rest of the song, as she really lets it all out there!

I'm never going back
The past is in the past! 

Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone! 

Here I stand
In the light of day
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway!

So good! :omg: 

I'm really curious to see how "Let It Go" ranks as I feel like the rankings for this song will be all over the place as I can see this being a polarizing song in this round. Though I can't really predict where it will land - probably within the 2nd or 3rd set?

ANDY

Iconic, not a fave of Andy's

DEREK

I recently went to a kid's birthday party where this song was playing on repeat. literally.

17. 2 ON – TINASHE FEAT. ScHOOLBOY Q

e4bd62b92c2a0285c30bbf33a73051fd.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 1

ANDY: 2

GIGI: 6

ELLIOTT: 7

DEREK: 10

CHRIS: 12

WALLACE: 12

DIANA: 13

ALEX: 14

NICO: 14

REI: 14

STEVEN: 14

AKSHAR: 15

QK: 17

COREY: 18

VICTORIA: 18

RICHARD: 20

ANDY

Loved this song from the first time I heard it. It's sexy, sultry, and catchy. Even enjoy Schoolboy Q's part albeit somewhat ironically lol. Tinashe is such a goddess

WALLACE

Dykt.gif

tv57E0.gif

"2 On" is a really fun and hot jam and was the song that introduced me to Tinashe. I think "2 On" was a great  way to introduce Tinashe into the music scene. This is a really hot, smooth fire kind of jam. Tinashe brings some lovely vocals and swag here, which of course I am here for. I do really like how she sings the opening verse of the song. But I really love it where and how she sings the pre-chorus of the song in a faster way that part that goes:

If you a lame, you ain't making no noise
Get faded, turn up with the big boys
Live fast, die young that's my choice
Get money, get money like an invoice

Then I love the chorus and the smoothness of it where she sings:

Man, I love to get on
I love to get 2 on
When the drink be too strong
When the tree be way too strong
Get faded, turn up, bruh
Pour it on up 'till I can't even think no more
Get ratchet, go dumb then go more dumb then
We can keep it lit, let's roll
I love to get 2 on
Let-let... let's roll
I love to get 2 on, I love to
Let-let-let's roll
Let-let-let's roll

:bobo: 

Tinashe brings such an ease and effortless sexiness with her vocals here. :wub: I am not too familiar with but I like his rap verse here. LMAO I don't think I can quote any of his lyrics sooo I'll pass on posting my favorite parts from him. :dead:  But I like his rapping style here. But then I also love the bridge here especially the parts where Tinashe sings:

Just give me the drink and we can pour it ya
And my enemies, they see me living now
And if you roll with me, then you'll be winning now, oh

"2 On" is such a smooth and fun jam and a standout to me from Tinashe's songs. I also really enjoy the musci video. She certainly kills it with the dancing in the music video - which America did not appreciate enough when she was on DWTS. 🙂 But that's another argument for another day. But yeah this is a fun jam, for sure! :bobo: 

STEVEN

The vibe is kind of cool, and I like Tinashe's delivery here. The rap part though...yikes. That was a bit much.

COREY

An unappealing rap song, but there is enough happening here to place it above the two sleepers elsewhere on this chart.

RICHARD

Previously, I had only heard the version of this she danced to on DWTS, and I was hoping this would be stripped down in a similar fashion. Ultimately, Tinashe’s voice on the track is nice to listen to, but the song prior to the rap portion is a bit repetitive and doesn’t really do anything too interesting. But then the vulgar rap section for me is the nail in the coffin. I was going to rank this higher before those graphic visuals I really didn’t need. : / 

20. Ah yeah, I'm not surprised to see "Drunk on a Plane" come in last as I was kinda expecting that. I'm fine with that. Ooh there were 14 Bottom 5 and 7 last place rankings here. omgg Alex's comment. :dead:

19. LMAOO once again, I'm crying at Alex's comment on his #1 regarding "Come with Me Now." :dead: I like this but yeah this was one of my lesser favorites of this set so I'm fine with this showing up here. Four Top 10 rankings as well as 4 #20 rankings here. I'm LOLing at how Richard went from being meh to this on first listen to loving it on the next listen. :haha:

18. Ooh, "Let It Go" did a little worse than I expected. I thought this was going to make it through this set and make it to the first set. 😮 Overall, since this was my #16, I'm fine with it showing up here. I'm definitely surprised this made it through in the first place but well done to it. lmaoo Derek's comment. That does not surprise me. :haha:

17. The rankings for "2 On" are really all over the place here. But overall, this ranking makes sense for it, I think. I would have liked seeing it a little higher but not upset and am fine with this ranking as well. Nice to have some Tinashe making it through here though.

The stats of the #1s and #20s!

#1s remaining (15): Akshar, Andy, Chris, Corey, Derek, Diana, Elliott, Gigi, Lily, Nico, QK, Rei, Richard, Steven, Victoria, Wallace
#1s revealed (2): Alex, Lily

#20s remaining (5): Andy, Corey, Nico, QK, Victoria
#20s revealed (12): Alex, Derek, Elliott, Gigi, Lily, Rei, Wallace, Akshar, Chris, Diana, Steven, Richard