Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

"Kesha has been ranking way too high on these rankdowns for her own good, so hopefully my ranking keeps her from overstaying her welcome again."

...and in a surprising twist, it is Richard who tanks a song for the benefit of his own favorites.

57 minutes ago, Qorey said:

"Kesha has been ranking way too high on these rankdowns for her own good, so hopefully my ranking keeps her from overstaying her welcome again."

...and in a surprising twist, it is Richard who tanks a song for the benefit of his own favorites.

Wasn’t that much of a tank, really. I just feel meh about the song overall.

1 minute ago, rdhaley96 said:

Anywho, this update did a great job of weeding out my not-favorites. 👍

1, 2, 3, and 9 are left for me. B)

Opposite for me. I lost my #1, 2 and 5.  But I do have #3, 6, 9 and 10 left.  For the first time ever, a final four with just my Top Ten! 😎

8. Wow I am really so shook about "Timber" making it to 8th. :omg: I love this song but yeah so happy to see it ranking so well here. Wow lots of support for this with 10 Top 10 rankings! 😮 And yayy most of its rankings in the Top 16!  LOL I also had a feeling this was Richard's #19 too. :haha: But at least it wasn't a #20, haha. LOL his comment regarding Kesha there. :lmao: Also LOL Derek's comment of this being a stupid song. :dead: 

7. Pleased with "Can't Remember to Forget You" making it this high to #7, as this is a really hot song/video combo. Hmmmm some reallly interesting rankings. I expected some #1s here. But this only being Rei's #4 has me SHOOK though. :shock: And yeah expected this to be QK's #19 as it has Rihanna on it. Omg why does Victoria always surprise me with her #20s? :dead: But 9 Top 10 ranks is really good and impressive here! Lol love Alex's post. :haha: 

6. Also pleased with "Drunk in Love" making it to 6th as I honestly was not expecting it to make it this high. :haha: I thought it would have struggled making it to the Top 10, but I'll take #6. I love this of course but also very pleased to see others rank this higher than myself. 10 Top 10 ranks... is really great and love to see that! :wub: The #20 from a certain someone is expected and predictable. Anyway LOL Yes Andy's comment on "surfbort." :haha: And aww Steven's comment at feeling bad ranking this low. 😢 It's okay and I get the reasoning. :hug: 

5. Ughh dang it, I was really hoping for "Problem" to crack into the Top 4. SOOO close! 😢:dead: But still, I love this song from Ariana & Iggy and pleased to see it rank so well making it to 5th! :wub: It's such a jam! :bobo: Niceee to see 12 Top 10 rankings for this... incredible! :omg: UGH YES Derek @ your Elliott comment. Still mad at him for robbing this on Ariana's round. :/ Oh yay I see I was hoping for this to make Top 8 and it did so yayy! :bobo: Though with Alex's comment, I wanted "Bang Bang" in too but ugh just didn't have room for it/to put it through. 😢 

I got the following remaining: 2, 7, 8, 15. Ugh this was a rough set losing my #4, 5 and 6 here. But just as long as my #15 doesn't win, WE GOOD. But if it does, lmao oops me I should have ranked that a little lower lmao. :dead: 

But wow shook but pleased for Taylor finally making it to the Top 4 here. And please come through my #2!

Last #1s and #20s update:

#1s remaining (9): Andy, Chris, Diana, Gigi, QK, Rei, Richard, Steven, Victoria
#1s revealed (8): Alex, Lily, Akshar, Wallace, Corey, Nico, Derek, Elliott

#20s remaining (1): Nico
#20s revealed (16): Alex, Derek, Elliott, Gigi, Lily, Rei, Wallace, Akshar, Chris, Diana, Steven, Richard, Andy, Corey, Victoria, QK

Nico with the last remaining #20... once again. :dead: 

4 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

not me getting preemptive blame for Taylor losing

lmaoo yeah I found that strange, since you have ranked Taylor songs high. Like I remember you ranking "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" 2nd. :haha: 

But still, this is Taylor's best showing yet so props to her for that. :yes: 

4. TEAM – LORDE

21c34cbf4f163f713fed7b4c4923fee9.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 1

REI: 1

NICO: 2

VICTORIA: 3

ELLIOTT: 4

AKSHAR: 7

ALEX: 7

CHRIS: 7

DIANA: 7

QK: 7

COREY: 9

RICHARD: 9

DEREK: 13

STEVEN: 13

WALLACE: 15

LILY: 16

GIGI: 16

ANDY

One of the best songs off an incredible album, I wish this had the level of success that Royals had instead tbh.

COREY

This song flows well, and is much better than "Royals"

RICHARD

There’s something very soothing about this one. It might be the choruses with Lorde singing the melody 2x an octave apart. I just dig this song overall; it’s nothing super outstanding, but I could put it in the background at any given time and feel content. With a really solid bridge in there, I’d have this even higher on my list.

STEVEN

I'm not familiar with Lorde's discography (I'm pretty sure "Royals" and "Team" are the only songs of hers I know). I do like "Team" better than "Royals," even though it didn't seem to be as popular. "Team" has a cool and intriguing feel to it.

WALLACE

Qezk7Kc.gif

I remember "Team" being a big hit for Lorde in 2014, as it was certainly a song I've heard a lot at that time. But I also kinda feel like it's a song I've forgotten about 8 years later? I don't really hear it much compared to "Royals," which I still hear every now and then? But "Team" does have a cool, unique and funky sound to it. I like the beat to this and Lorde does sound good on this. I do love the end of the pre-chorus where she sings:

Dancin' around the lies we tell
Dancin' around big eyes as well
Even the comatose they don't dance and tell

Then I also really like the chorus where she sings:

We live in cities you'll never see on screen
Not very pretty, but we sure know how to run things
Living in ruins of a palace within my dreams
And you know, we're on each other's team
I'm kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air, so there

Lorde does have a soothing and calm nature to her singing on the chorus and throughout the song. It's very peaceful and cool to listen to. Hmm I'm not really having any major standout favorite parts from the verses or the bridge. I do really like "Team" but I do like a few other Lorde songs over this one. I'm also gonna be really real in that I hope Lorde doesn't pull a 2-peat with this song. I don't quite think that will happen as I don't think "Team" is universally liked as "Royals" is but I'm still scared, lmao. :ph34rwave:

3. SHAKE IT OFF – TAYLOR SWIFT

7b9fa8f6506f0106c91d9c75808a6253.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DIANA: 1

GIGI: 1

STEVEN: 1

AKSHAR: 2

ELLIOTT: 2

CHRIS: 3

COREY: 3

RICHARD: 3

ANDY: 4

DEREK: 5

WALLACE: 8

LILY: 9

REI: 13

VICTORIA: 15

QK: 18

ALEX: 19

NICO: 20

STEVEN

1989 is arguably Taylor Swift's best album (I go back and forth between 1989 and Red for my favorite), and "Shake It Off" was a great way for her to launch her pop music career. This is an incredibly catchy song. Taylor's cheeky lyrics and the upbeat arrangement make this a fun listen. There are other songs from 1989 I like better, but "Shake It Off" easily gets my top spot out of our Top 20 this year.

COREY

Great danceable tune.

RICHARD

This is really when Taylor started to hit her stride in the pop scene, and I fully expect this and everything else from 1989 next year to rank pretty high. This is just such an infectious song that’s so playful in how it addresses a lot of Taylor’s then-controversies and “shakes them off.” With this album, Taylor was clearly becoming a lot more secure in her identity, and that made for some really solid music from her.

ANDY

Taylor's 1989 era is her most fun and this song is such a great way to kick it off (this was the lead single right???)

DEREK

See I told you I don't hate her

WALLACE

THxr.gif

taylor-swift-shake-it-off.gif

Yayy we have reached to Taylor Swift's most commercially successful era in her pop music career, 1989. :wub: As we all (or most of us) know, "Shake It Off" was the song to kick off the 1989 era and boy what a huge hit song this became. This song was pretty huge in 2014 and carried over well into 2015 where it was big that year too. You just could not ever escape this song. :dead: But really, I do love "Shake It Off" and think this is such a fun, catchy and infectious song from Taylor. I can't help but always smile and be happy when hearing this song. Taylor does sound really cute and has so much fun while singing the song. I do love how she sings the pre-chorus: 

But I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop moving
It's like I got this music
In my mind
Saying, "It's gonna be alright."

Then the chorus is so fun and catchy to sing along to!

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off
Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off

:bobo:

Lol is it lyrically her best song ever? Lol no. But is it one of her most infectious and catchiest and easiest songs to sing along to? Absolutely! 😘 :bobo: From the second verse, I do love the part where she sings: I never miss a beat. I'm lightning on my feet. :giggle: The rest of the verse is fun as well.

But then another part of the song that I love is the bridge. That part of the song absolutely CRACKS ME UP so much! :dead: I love the sass and attitude Taylor brings to that part of the song:

Hey, hey, hey
Just think while you've been getting down and out about the liars and the dirty, dirty cheats of the world,
You could've been getting down to this sick beat. 

My ex-man brought his new girlfriend
She's like "Oh, my God!" but I'm just gonna shake.
And to the fella over there with the hella good hair
Won't you come on over, baby? We can shake, shake, shake

Taylor is really hilarious and so fun with this song! :dead: But I love the fun and all of the personality she shows here! :yes: Now Taylor and many of her songs have proven  to be very polarizing in this rankdown and I certainly expect that to continue with "Shake It Off." I can see lots of people loving this but also being annoyed by this. I can see this getting lots of high rankings, lots of low rankings and maybe some rankings in the middle. I think this should surely make the Top 10? But I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it to the Top 8 or if it just misses the Top 10 of making it at like 12th or so? It's hard to say.

ALEX

I promise y’all Taylor Swift does not have a top 20 song every single year she put music out. We can go a year without her, it’ll be okay!

2. AIN'T IT FUN – PARAMORE

be726449bcea502222beaed83e367c14.600x600x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QK: 1

RICHARD: 1

LILY: 2

AKSHAR: 3

GIGI: 4

NICO: 4

ANDY: 5

COREY: 6

ELLIOTT: 6

WALLACE: 7

ALEX: 8

REI: 8

CHRIS: 9

STEVEN: 9

DEREK: 11

DIANA: 11

VICTORIA: 11

RICHARD

Prior to this rankdown, this wasn’t really ever one of my favorite Paramore songs, but after relistening to this, I found myself digging it a lot more than I have in the past. Hayley’s voice cuts through in a really satisfying way, and then paired with the rest of the band and that anthemic bridge that goes on seemingly forever, I can’t help but really love this one. I’m happy that this rankdown gave me a newfound appreciation for this song, because past me definitely underrated it.

ANDY

Prefer Still Into You, but this one's more recognized I think? Maybe their most popular song besides Misery Business?

COREY

A good rockin' tune, but not as fleshed out as my Top 5.

WALLACE

tumblr_na4ddhxSUl1tu5d3qo1_500.gifv

Just like with all of Paramore's songs, I had a great feeling "Ain't It Fun" would make it to the finals. I'm really glad that "Ain't It Fun" did as I do really love this song from Paramore and I was really hoping to see this make the finals. I'm not sure how popular or unpopular this is, but I often think of "Ain't It Fun" as my favorite song of Paramore's. This is just such a fun, feel good song that always makes me happy and puts a smile on my face! :bobo: I just love how fun and cheery the music here is. Hayley provides strong and great vocals on this as usual too. I love how she sings the opening verse of the song. But I really love how she sings the pre-chorus as well that goes:

So what are you gonna do
When the world don't orbit around you?
(Ooh-ooh-ooh, ooh, uh-uh-uh)
So what are you gonna do
When the world don't orbit around you?

Then the chorus is SO fun, catchy and infectious! I live and am totally here for it!

Ain't it fun
Livin' in the real world?
Ain't it good
Bein' all alone?

:bobo:

Then from the second verse, I love the part where Hayley sings: 

Well, you could ring anybody's bell and get what you want
You see, it's easy to ignore trouble
When you're livin' in a bubble

I think that's such a cute and fun part there. ^_^ Then the part where Hayley sings:

(Oh-oh-oh) Ain't it good to be on your own?
(Oh-oh-oh) Ain't it fun you can't count on no one?
(Uh-uh-uh) Ain't it good to be on your own?
(Uh-uh-uh) Ain't it fun you can't count on no one?

That's another cute and fun part of the song too! :bobo: Then the bridge of the song brings such a fun infectious anthemic feel to the song that I also really love!

Don't go cryin' to your mama
'Cause you're on your own in the real world
Don't go cryin' to your mama
'Cause you're on your own in the real world

DON'T GO CRYING, TO YOUR MAMA! :bobo: Then the rest of the song closes with more of the chorus and the bridge. And yeah "Ain't It Fun" is such a fun, infectious, feel good song and I just love it all! It's so fun and satisfying on the ears! :bobo: The music video is a lot of fun too. It's just Hayley and the boys of Paramore just wilding out and having such a blast! I bet it was really fun to shoot this video just being rebellious. :haha: I feel certain "Ain't It Fun" will do really well here. I can see it making the Top 4, but I can also see it missing out but think it has a great shot of making the Top 8 regardless.

ALEX

In my old car whenever I would plug my phone in it would automatically start playing the first alphabetical song in my library and that was this song and I started loathing it. It’s been years and I’ve moved on, but it still annoys me. However, this top 20 sucks and Paramore rules so I’ll give it a high ranking.

STEVEN

Paramore isn't a band I listen to, so I'm only vaguely familiar with their songs. "Ain't It Fun" is a song I've heard before, and I do like it well enough. It's got a fun and carefree feel to it with its sarcastic lyrics. I enjoyed listening to this enough to give it a spot within my Top 10.

1. CHANDELIER – SIA

5bcfb76690b3fb068a317c76579b70b5.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

VICTORIA: 1

RICHARD: 2

WALLACE: 2

ELLIOTT: 3

GIGI: 3

REI: 3

DEREK: 4

STEVEN: 4

ALEX: 6

QK: 6

ANDY: 8

COREY: 8

NICO: 8

DIANA: 12

LILY: 15

AKSHAR: 16

RICHARD

Absolutely one of Sia’s best songs ever. It dives deep into some pretty heavy subject matter and delivers in a way that’s powerful and anthemic yet simultaneously filled with despair. The way Sia sings into the stratosphere and just shatters those high notes really sells that feeling of desperation, which is a big part of why this track works so well.

WALLACE

e8687775-5284-42db-81c2-5e856b6e2a5e_tex

e3f1657f7afe5ec741b5123871a85539.gif

I really love "Chandelier" a lot. Not only do I love this song, but I also think of it as my favorite song of Sia's. This is such a moving, powerful, dynamic song and I love everything that Sia brings to this. I do love all of the dynamics and range that Sia shows off here too. I like how she starts off the song with a softer lowkey vibe singing in a reggae influence feel or something like that? I love the parts where she sings.

Party girls don't get hurt
Can't feel anything, when will I learn
I push it down, push it down 

I feel the love, feel the love

Then I like how she builds the song on the pre-chorus with those 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 drink parts. You just know something good and powerful is gonna come after that. And it does.... with THAT ICONIC chorus that Sia belts out that goes:

I'm gonna swing from the chandelier
From the chandelier
I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist
Like it doesn't exist
I'm gonna fly like a bird through the night
Feel my tears as they dry
I'm gonna swing from the chandelier
From the chandelier

Absolutely LOVE that chorus so much from Sia! :omg: She sings with so much power, passion and range to her vocals, it's soo insane! :dead: Maybe I try to sing it sometimes but it's fun to sing this off the top of your lungs, even when sounding terrible with it. :lmao: I don't love the second half of the chorus quite as much but lmao I still really love it. OR is it the bridge? I don't know really lol. It's just that the first half of the chorus is EVERYTHING. But yeah I still love how she sings that part!

But I'm holding on for dear life
Won't look down, won't open my eyes
Keep my glass full until morning light
'Cause I'm just holding on for tonight
Help me, I'm holding on for dear life
Won't look down, won't open my eyes
Keep my glass full until morning light
On for tonight

SO good! ❤️ But then I also love how she closes the song with those parts that she sings repeatedly that goes:

On for tonight
Oh, I'm just holding on for tonight
On for tonight, on for tonight

It's just all SO good and powerful! :omg: I can never get tired of this song. This song is so powerful with not only its vocals but the message of it too. The music video is really interesting too.  Maddie Ziegler does a fantastic job dancing in the video as a mini Sia. Anywho, I do think "Chandelier" has a great shot at winning and I really hope it can pull off the win. If it doesn't, I do think Top 4 is a certain lock for this - if not, then I will be very surprised.

DEREK

Sia being a Dance Moms fan and calling up Maddie will forever be iconic

STEVEN

"Chandelier" is a pretty incredible song. Sia really delivered on this track with the meaningful lyrics and soaring vocals. "Chandelier" was deserving of all the praise and popularity it achieved. I agree with those who call this a powerful song. It's a worthy winner for this 2014 round.

ALEX

Sia’s downfall made me sad. She was truly That Bitch.

ANDY

This was waned on me a tiny bit over the years but that was because I was unhealthily obsessed with this when it came out. It's a powerful song.

COREY

This is Sia's most memorable song. Very powerful singing, but not quite as lovely as the songs higher on my list.

4. Oooh phew, glad that "Team" didn't win. I'm sorry, Andy.... 🙈 But still this is a really good song and I do get the love for it. I just never loved it that much but I do really like it. 12 Top 10 ranks is really impressive for this! And whoaa, a whole bunch of #7s here too. 5 #7s to be exact. 😮 I do agree with the comments of this having a cool, soothing and intriguing sound to it. 

3. Lol wow I am still really shook seeing Taylor's "Shake It Off" making it all the way to 3rd! :omg: I thought it would have been much more polarizing than that. :dead: But woww.... 3 #1s, 8 Top 3s and 10 Top 5 ranks.... and then 12 Top 10 rankings. Wow very impressive showing for Taylor. :omg: OK now I may think her other 1989 singles may stand a better chance of winning now. :haha: But yeah "Shake It Off" is a very fun and enjoyable pop song from Taylor. LMAOOO Alex's shady comment. :dead: 

2. Whoaa, impressive showing for Paramore's "Ain't It Fun" making it to 2nd with that 6.23 score. 😮 I am not at all surprised seeing this do so well. But wow 2 #1s, 7 Top 5s and 14 Top 10 rankings! :omg: And the 3 non-Top 10 ranks are all at the #11 spot? Dangg those are some incredible stats! Ahh I love Richard's comments and how much he rediscovered loving this song! Yayy love seeing comments like that. omgg lmaoo Alex's story on this song cracks me up. :lmao: 

1. Love Sia's "Chandelier" so much and sooo happy to see this pull out the win, as it's a very deserving winner for this round!  :wub: And of course with this being my #2, of course I'm pleased to see this pull out the win. I did expect this to be more of a runaway winner but still, this win is impressive. Wow really slayage rankings for this - 2 #1s, 9 Top 4 ranks and 14 Top 8 (10) rankings is really insane and incredible. :omg: Although wow I am shocked Diana and Akshar ranked this so low as I thought they would have ranked this higher. 😮 Agree with lots of the comments here.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:16 AM, Steven_ said:

SONGS OF 2015

"How Deep Is Your Love" – Calvin Harris and Disciples

This still bothers me so much how they chose NOT to give any credits to INA WROLDSEN. Queen deserved better recognition for her vocals on this track!!

7 hours ago, rdhaley96 said:

Can I give an honorary nomination to this one? xD Pretty please? :broken: 

It’d definitely be worthy of at least top 5 for me. :ph34rwave:

Sorry, I can't allow it since a precedent has already been set. :no: I do like that song too and would give it a high ranking, but it wouldn't be fair to everyone else who would've added songs in previous rounds.

2 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Sorry, I can't allow it since a precedent has already been set. :no: I do like that song too and would give it a high ranking, but it wouldn't be fair to everyone else who would've added songs in previous rounds.

I know, I wasn't being serious. :haha:

It's just a shame because I genuinely do think it's one of the best songs from 2015. 💔

Edited by rdhaley96