The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)

Solaris

Dez Duron

Dez-Duron.png

Dez Duron initially auditioned for season 2 of The Voice, with a performance of... "I Want it That Way" which turned no chairs. Listening to it, I can kinda see why it didn't get turns, it was a little all over the place but there was clearly some room for improvement. He came back the next season to perform "Sara Smile" which was a stronger audition and showed that he had more to his voice and improved. Turning three chairs this time, he joined Team Christina, making it through to the live shows. He made it through to the top eight as Christina's last team member but was eliminated shy of the quarter-finals, making it the first time a coach lost all their team members before the finale.

I haven't really found a lot of what Dez has been up to since, he seems to share some covers on his social media here and there which is nice to see. All in all, I just don't really have a connection to him as a contestant and I feel he was an easier cut at this stage especially following some of the recent cuts.

Saving Kimberly Nichole

On 6/28/2021 at 3:03 PM, *Chris said:

THE BUNDYS

bundysonvoice.jpg 

As we all recall The Bundys is a Trio of siblings who auditioned for the 16th season of The Voice - if I remember correctly, they were the first ever Trio to audition for The Voice US.  And from the moment they started singing, I knew they would be favourites of mine - their country/folk sound reminded me a lot of Eden's Edge whom I absolutely liked.   They ended up being on Team Kelly after she and Blake turned around for them.  As part of Team Kelly, they delivered a stunning performance of "Songbird" in the Battle against Mikaela Astel (who?) - they obviously won this battle, and no questions about that as they were easily the better ones in that battle.  In the crossbattle round, they were paired against Andrew Sevener - they performed "The Letter" but it was not enough to secure a win; I still think they should have won but oh well.  I really wish they could have made it further on the show but super happy about their journey in this rankdown as I was able to bring them as a wildcard plus receiving a coach steal.  

I would certainly love to see them breakthrough in Country music as there's certainly a place for a trio like them - I know this might be wishful thinking but one can certainly dream

SAVING: JEFFERY AUSTIN

Brandon Chase

I literally have no idea who this is so that's as good enough of a reason to cut him as there is. So google said he was on season 5 which I love but he was eliminated in the knockout rounds. So it's definitely a fair cut at this point since I am sure he is only here for one reason and that reason does absolutely nothing for me so definitely cool with cutting him. Anyways Brandon was a 2 chair turn and he was on team Blake as only Blake and Ceeloo turned and obviously no one is going to chose Ceeloo unless they have no choice. He sang a Hunter Hayes song for his blind audition which is a choice so all the more reason to cut him lol. His next performance was Tiny Dancer by Elton John which I am sure Caroline outsold him on and then he sang an Eli Young Band song and was eliminated so that's really all the wiki has for me so here's one of his performances.

Saving Caroline Glaser

CORY JACKSON, Season 17 (Team Blake)

9trP0SY.png

Oh, another twangy male country singer from Arkansas? I think I'm good, thanks.

OK, for serious, I didn't really think too much of Cory in his season. I vaguely remember him opening for Barrett in previous gigs, so when his name came up on the spoiler lists, I recognized him immediately. Unfortunately, he got in Season 17, which was particularly stacked with talent, and I think he got eclipsed because of that. I remembered liking his audition enough, but it wasn't something that I would rewatch over and over. And his battle was OK, but he did nothing in it to set himself apart from his very similar opponent. He has a pleasant country voice, but I do think he doesn't project it far enough to make an impression on me. Based on his social media, he seems to be a decent, hardworking musician, and I wish nothing but the best for his career, but this is as far as he needs to go.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: Galveston (Blind Audition)

SAVING: Ryan Quinn

JANICE FREEMAN

rs_1024x759-190304085624-1024x759-Janice_Freeman_Miley_Cyrus-thevoice-gj-3-4-19.jpg?fit=around%7C1024:759&output-quality=90&crop=1024:759;center,top

Janice Freeman was a contestant from the thirteenth season of The Voice, where she was on Miley's team. She auditioned with Imagine Dragons' Radioactive; after Miley and JHUD turned for her, she chose to go on Miley's team. In the battles, she sang W.O.M.A.N. against Katrina Rosa and Miley declared her the victor, which seemed pretty obvious because it was clear Janice and Miley were already forming a close bond. In the knockouts, she sang I'm Goin' Down by Mary J. Blige and once again emerged victorious. She had the pimp spot in the play-offs, where she covered Fall for You. (The Leela James song, not the Secondhand Serenade song.) Miley rightfully chose to advance her afterward, as S13 had no voting until the Top 12.

In the finals, she once again had the pimp spot with a top-tier performance of Brandi Carlisle's The Story. My wig was snatched, my body was hydrated, my pores were cleansed, etc. Legitimately one of the greatest performances not only of the season (which says a lot because S13 also had Chloe slaying every week), but of the entire franchise as a whole - and one that I still revisit on occasion. The next week, she had the lead-off slot where she covered Collective Soul's Shine... and landed in the bottom two:

Regina Hall Thats Nasty GIF

She went up against some white dude in the Instant Save, covering Sia's Chandelier, and ended up being eliminated... in eleventh place:

hercules hades GIF

That was truly one of the most disgusting robberies I have ever witnessed, and this is The Voice we're talking about where disgusting robberies are the norm!

Miley and Janice remained close after the season, where Miley bought Janice's family a new house (or apartment?) to help out with Janice's recurring health problems. Unfortunately, Janice would succumb to those health problems not too long after that, eventually passing away at the young age of 33. 😢 It was such a depressing headline to see, and Miley's eulogy and performance at her memorial service was heartbreaking. :(

Overall, Janice was one of my favourites from that season and probably would've been an all-timer for me had America not decided to do some clownery. To wrap it up, I'll close this write-up out with her shining moment:

giphy.gif

SAVE: Queen of the Twitter Save Kat Perkins

• Like 3

Victor Solomon [S20 Team Legend, 5th Place]

Victor’s audition was shown at the end of the first episode of Season 20. He sang John Legend and Common’s “Glory” and turned three chairs (Blake, Nick and John Legend). Quite predictably, he picked John to be his coach.

In the Battle Rounds, he sang Usher’s “U Got It Bad” against Deion Warren and won, then in the knockouts, he sang The Temptations “My Girl” against Gean Garcia and won again. Victor had a great voice and was capable of singing a lot of things, from old school Motown/Soul to newer R&B so it made sense why John kept picking him.

He continued to demonstrate his old school talent by singing Stevie Wonder’s “I Wish” in the Playoffs and advancing on the public vote.

Then, in the Semi-Finals, he threw us for a loop and sang MercyMe’s “I Can Only Imagine”. Again he advanced on the Public Vote and by that point it was clear that he was the most popular member of John’s team. 

In the finale, he sang Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me”, which was pretty, even if his voice sounded a little raw. He also sang Donny Hathaway’s “Someday We’ll All Be Free” with John. But the real show stopper of the night was his cover of Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar’s “Freedom” where he pulled out all the stops and showed off his rapping skills. I wish we got to see this side of Victor more because I feel like if we did, he might not have placed fifth (which I still think is travesty considering he and Cam had the best performances of the finale). That being said, Victor isn’t in my personal Top 20 by any means so I’m fine cutting him here.

Save: Josh Gallagher