The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)

Solaris

Just now, Elliott said:

I mean I actively disliked half of my nominations and figured the other half would be easy saves (but idrc if they got cut anyway) and I didn’t get any safety requests for them so 🤷‍♂️

uh huh

Danielle Bradbury [S4, Team Blake, Winner]

After 19 seasons Danielle is still one of my least favourite winners. I can honestly say that I never got her and didn’t think she was as talented as the judges thought she was and, personally, I would have picked Michelle as the winner that season.

She auditioned with Taylor Swift’s “Mean” and earned a three chair turn from Adam, Usher and Blake and chose Blake as her coach, obviously. In the battle rounds, she sang Corinne Bailey Rae’s “Put Your Records On” against Caroline Glaser and won and Adam stole Caroline.

In the knockouts, she sang Carrie Underwood’s “Jesus, Take the Wheel” against Taylor Beckham and won again.

In the live playoffs, she sang “Maybe It Was Memphis” by Pam Tillis and advanced based on the public vote. It was clear by that point that she was popular and who Blake was going to push, along with the Swon Brothers (gross). 

I won’t detail all of her performances, but the only one I remember liking was “Heads Carolina, Tails California”, which ironically was one of the ones she got the iTunes bonus for. 

Since she won the show, Elliott and I have seen her at CMA Fest every year and, while I’m not impressed with her original music, she has done some good covers like Ariana Grande’s “God Is A Woman” and Kasey Musgraves “Slow Burn” so that’s good I guess? Anyway, since we’re cutting people like Michelle Chameul, then I thought we should cut Danielle who didn’t deserve to beat her 🙃

Save: Tessanne Chin

• Like 1

Spensha Baker

This isn't really someone I had plans on cutting any time soon but it is what it is I guess. Spensha was on season 14 of the voice and was on team Blake. Her audition was a lovely performance of Blackbird by the Beatles. Spensha sang a couple of Maren Morris songs "I Could Use a Love Song" and also "My Church" both which are fantastic songs and she definitely did them justice. She ended up making the finales and finished in 4th place and she should have at least beat Britton who I find to be very overrated but that's a story for another day I guess. Spensha deserves better than this but I didn't really have much of a choice with this set of noms so we are going to have to say good bye to her now unfortunately.

Here's Spensha's blind audition performance

saving Caroline Glaser

• Sad 2

BRYNN CARTELLI, Season 14 (Team Kelly)

PWc6CTT.png

OK, so I made no secret of my apathy towards younger talent being on this show. There are exceptions, for sure, but I always liked how The Voice is the singing competition for the more experienced artists that just want a platform to raise themselves up. And I just like more mature artists better. Lowering the age limit to 13 was one of the more questionable decisions the show did across 20 seasons. Brynn was one of the lucky artists who benefitted from the new age limit, and while I give her credit for having composure and poise on tv that's way beyond her years, it's just so obvious during her season that she's not vocally up to par with her fellow finalists. And somehow Kelly keeps giving her songs that are completely out of her range during the lives. I know she's a lot better vocally now, but I can't help but wonder if the "SHE'S ONLY 14!" narrative factored in her victory. I will also give her credit for somehow amassing such a huge following from her run on The Voice, something that is rare to come by for Voice alums these days. 

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: Here Comes Goodbye (Knockouts)

SAVING: Jacquie Lee

Edited by Teraginn

Brynn is in the small group of winners that I actually like.  I normally dislike really young singers, but aside from shakey performances she is likable.  Maybe I was more team Kelly.

3 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Brynn is in the small group of winners that I actually like.  I normally dislike really young singers, but aside from shakey performances she is likable.  Maybe I was more team Kelly.

Oh she's hella likeable for sure, she wouldn't get the amount of followers she did if she wasn't. I just question if the attention she's getting are really for her vocals. For that season, at least.

Edited by Teraginn

3 minutes ago, Solaris said:

I always thought I’d be Team Kelly but I end up hating like 99% of the people she brings to the live shows. :closedeyes:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I always thought I’d be Team Kelly but I end up hating like 99% of the people she brings to the live shows. :closedeyes:

Same actually! I only really LOVED one artist from her team..... and he's currently immune this round, so that's cool. ❤️

Tess Boyer

image.jpeg.c341f95ee869c7613537956d61297427.jpeg

Tess appeared on the sixth season and was montaged in her audition. She sang Wings by Little Mix where she turned only Usher. She moved on to the battles against Bria Kelly singing Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin where she lost and got stolen by Blake. Then in the battles Part 2, she went against Jake Worthington and sang Have a Little Faith in Me by John Hiatt where she lost and got stolen by Shakira,Usher, and Adam. She picked Shakira and was the first person to go on different teams each time. She made it to playoffs where she sang Human by Christina Perri and Shakira picked her to move on. In Top 12, she sang I'll Be There For You by Bon Jovi and got in the bottom 3. For the instant save, she did Dark Side by Kelly Clarkson where she won the instant save. Then in top 10, she sang Ain't It Fun by Paramore where she got in the bottom 3 again. She got eliminated in the instant save singing Who Knew by P!nk. 

Favorite Performance: 

Matthew Schuler

58b462f38cac6.image.jpg?resize=400,441

A contestant on Season 5, Matthew had perhaps one of the more famous blind audition moments when his performance of "Cough Syrup" turned all four chairs pretty much instantly. He went on to join team Christina, who he stayed with throughout in the competition all the way up to his elimination at top 6. Alongside his "Cough Syrup" audition, one of his better-known performances is probably "Hallelujah" which went to #40 on the Billboard Hot 100 and top 10 on iTunes, impressive looking back! As posted recently on here, Matthew recently came out, I haven't seen the video myself but he seems to be very religious and has been all his life, to the point where it seems to have affected his views on sexuality. I don't wanna comment too much having not seen the video but it sounds very damaging and I just hope he has the chance to grow and accept himself whilst understanding the damage that his views have on the community. All in all, I didn't have too many strong feelings on the final two names but decided to go this way in the end.

Saving Mary Sarah

• Like 1