The Voice US Rankdown (Winner Reveal pg. 117)

Solaris

Lilli Passero

image.jpeg.d0df2150799ba4969e874c8ee2dc9d77.jpeg

Lilli was on Season 12 and sang A Love Of My Own by Carla Thomas where she turned everyone but Adam. She moved on to the battles on Team Alicia and sang Every Little Bit Hurts by Brenda Holloway and she won her battle and moved on to the knockouts where she did Tears Dry On Their Own by Amy Winehouse. She lost her knockout but Adam and Blake tried to steal her and she picked Adam to be her coach. Then in the playoffs, she did It's Too Late by Carole King where she got the public vote. Then Top 12, she did Man! I Feel like a Woman by Shania Twain when she was guest judging that episode. She moved on to the top 11 and did Town Without Pity and moved on to top 10. She sang Unforgettable by Nat King Cole and got in the bottom and sang Stormy Weather by Etta James and was eliminated. She hasn't released anything since the show ended. 

Favorite Performance: 

Ricky Manning

With the remaining options this was an easier decision for me. I enjoyed Sarah, and I really liked Lilli and Shalyah. Although I was first inclined to save Lilli, I think I forgot how much I really rooted for Shalyah and loved so many of her performances on her season, so I had to switch in the end. Especially using one of my bring backs for Shalyah I didn’t want to let her go this soon!

Ricky appeared on Season 7 where he joined Pharrell’s team at the blind auditions with a performance of “Love Me Again”. At the knockouts he was stolen by Gwen, but after a performance of “Lay Me Down” he was eliminated in the playoffs. I’m sorry this writeup is a bit rushed (and more time is spent on my decision process lmao) but I knew less of Ricky overall. I see he also appeared on Idol a few years later, but he was cut at the Hollywood round. I wish him better luck on AGT maybe.

Saving Shalyah Fearing

6 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Matthew Schuler comes out but says it's sinful and other religious bs. 

On one hand, I know this came forth after his father's death, so this is probably his way of coping with that. He's clearly got a lot of baggage.

On the other hand.... he's so deep in the closet that he practically found Narnia. Just get out, man. 

VANESSA FERGUSON

Vanessa.jpg

Vanessa was one of my favourites from season twelve, but a handful of my favourites were nominated, so she fell by the wayside for me. :haha: At any rate, I really enjoyed Vanessa and thought she brought such a cool, funky vibe to the season. She was on Alicia's team, and I thought they were a good fit together. (Although wow, with Chris Blue, Vanessa Ferguson and Stephanie Rice on her team, Alicia Keys lowkey slapped that season 😘) Her most memorable performance would easily be her performance of Lauryn Hill's Doo Wop (That Thing), because The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill truly remains That Bitch™ of albums.

(I will NEVER be over her landing in the bottom three after this, why are you like this America)

SAVE: Brandon Chase

• Like 1

Desz (Season 19, Team Kelly, 4th Place)

Desz auditioned with Toni Braxton’s “Unbreak My Heart” and earned a four chair turn. She picked Kelly as her coach.

In the battle rounds, she sang “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” against Joseph Soul. It was a good performance and she won and Joseph was stolen by Gwen. In the knockouts, she sang Tevin Campbell’s “Can We Talk” and beat Sid Kingsley, though Sid was also stolen by Blake.

In the live playoffs, she sang Tina Turner’s “What’s Love Got To Do With It” and advanced on the public vote. I loved this performance and thought it was very old school and classic. 

Then, in the semi-finals she sang En Vouge’s “Don’t Let Go (Love)” and again, advanced on the public vote which was a pleasant surprise sing this show rarely rewards people who perform well.

In the finale, she sang a gorgeous rendition of Landslide, her original song “Holy Ground” which let her show off her gospel roots and sang “I’m Every Woman” with Kelly which was fun. I was hoping she’d place higher than fourth and actually, was kind of hoping she’d win of that Top 5, but as we all know she placed fourth. I didn’t want to cut her here but a lot of my faves were nominated so I just cut the first non-fave I saw so I could save Dez.

Save: Dez Duron

PETE MROZ, Season 20 (Team Blake)

Pete-Mroz-1.jpg

We now move on to the eldest member of my Pantheon of Golden Snowflakes™, and also one of the newest inductees. I first heard of Pete pretty early on, as a member of the spoiler hunting crew again for Season 20. My first impression of him was, "this guy definitely got around." And I was right: Pete actually got started in Nashville at the very young age on 19 as a country singer named Pete Mitchell, and actually worked in a songwriters group with a then-unknown Blake Shelton. Since then, he has shifted genres (from country to blues to adult contemporary), became part of a blues band called Super Honk, produced 5 underratedly great albums, got married to this gorgeous woman named Toni, had two beautiful boys named Cooper and Maxwell, and opened and collaborated with tons of influential names in the music business. With such a storied career, it's surprising that Pete even considered to audition for The Voice, but there's one thing that Pete didn't count on happening: the COVID-19 pandemic. With live music being put on hold for the meantime, Pete eventually relented and became part of the Season 20 cast, and thank God he did, because I don't think I would have found him otherwise. He possesses many of the qualities I require in a snowflake: a weathered, soulful voice, an amiable, adorkable personality, and a strong conviction in his abilities and artistry. His Voice run was not the longest, but it certainly was a treat watching him show his chops. I absolutely love his blinds and KO's, where he showed that crystal clear upper range of his. I love that he took a risk in the Playoffs and sang the original version of We Belong, a song I absolutely love. It may not have brought him further, but at least it caught the eye of the original songwriter of the song, who loved it so much that he went to Arizona just to talk and jam with Pete. But what made me elevate him to Golden Snowflake™ status for me is his ability to relate to fellow artists. Anyone who closely follow The Voice artists on social media will know that Pete did a series of IG Live interviews with his fellow Season 20 castmates that became very popular among Voice fans. And it's easy to see why: Pete has this uncanny ability to make his interviewees feel at ease and asks really thought-provoking questions that give insight into the artists' view on life and music. Whether it'd be a 30-something gigging musician who made his bones in Nashville, or a 15-year old kid from Michigan who has very little experience but went and auditioned for TV anyway, Pete somehow connects with them in a natural manner, and his interviews have been a highlight of Season 20 for me. In fact, Pete loved the experience so much that he's continuing his interviews post-show, in a series he's titling "Artist 2 Artist with Pete Mroz". He will actually be part of the Voice press junket for Season 21 as well, interviewing the S21 artists. So excited for this opportunity for him and I'll be following this and his music career for sure!

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: Before You Go (Knockouts)

Some people theorized this as an attempt to bus Pete, but I thought he hit this out of the park myself!

o6RSeEC.png

SAVING: Ryan Quinn

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1