Most Over-rated And Most Under-rated Performances On The Voice

Hamza Tufail

Too many to list, but off the top of my mind:

Emily Luther's performances, especially "Glitter In The Air" the most flawless KO of the season.(S13) - Underrated

Kennedy Holmes performances, smh, they ain't special. Especially "Confident" a mess, a disastrous mess.(S15) - Overrated 

Edited by QueenMae16
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Over-rated:

1- House Of The Rising Sun _ Kimberly Nichole(The most over-rated performance ever, it surely is great but not THE BEST like most of the people say)

2- Burning House _ Emily Ann Roberts(The worst rendition of the song and it still gave her the Runner-up spot)

3- Hallelujah _ Mathew Shular(Don't hate me I love Mathew and I think it was amazing but not the best cover of that song in the show's history, the only amazing thing about it was the EMOTION I may be wrong but it felt liked he was struggling to hit the high notes while Jordan Smith was slaying vocally and he harmonized and pitch broke for emotion and he did that very effortlessly.)

4- I Want To Know What Love Is _ Rose Short(It wasn't the most exciting version of that song while people react like it's the best I think Hunter, Chloe and Toneisha were better.)

5- What A Wonderful World _ T-storm Artis(I remember people saying that this is the winning song while Todd clearly crushed him in the FINALE)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 10

Underrated:

• Cole Vosbury - Adorn: It was kind of a weird match on paper of singer to song, but it worked really well.
  • Jake Worthington vs. Tess Boyer - Have a Little Faith in Me: Jake as a whole may have been overrated, but I saw way more buzz for the rest of his performances than for this one and in a season with several strong battles in both rounds of battles, this one is easily up there with the strongest.
  • Troy Ritchie - Hey Ya!: He would've made the playoffs more entertaining, though I think in the long run for who had more potential to stick around Gwen made the right call.
  • Billy Gilman - Fight Song: He had the misfortune of being in the KO pairing immediately following Courtney's kick-ass version of "River Deep Mountain High" but Billy's KO was just as solid as hers (and he could actually sing live too, which helped him in the long run).
  • Stephanie Rice - Safe & Sound: I'd liked Troy and Stephanie at the blinds, but with these performances Stephanie was way better and should've won; thankfully, Alicia stole her.
  • Janice Freeman - Fall For You: Her KO was KILLER but so was this; it just had the misfortune of being sandwiched in between her two best-known performances.
  • WILKES - Don't Speak: No Doubt is so rarely done on the show, and it's hard to find it being done well; WILKES did well with this even if it seems out-of-the-box from what we expect on the show.
  • Patrique Fortson's entire run on Season 15: Self-explanatory.
  • Royce Lovett vs. Kiara Brown - Turn Your Lights Down Low: an absolutely fantastic reggae battle - Kiara's bright and clear high notes mixed well with Royce's huskier/sultrier tone. Blake said he wanted their version, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat if they recorded it and got it up for sale somewhere.
  • Joei Fulco vs. TMH: The Best - It's still my favorite of the battles from this past season, tbh.

Overrated (I'm prepared to get attacked for some of these):

• Cassadee Pope - Torn: It does nothing for me. I liked most of her other performances on the show, though.
  • Matthew Schuler - Hallelujah: Is it overrated? Yes. Do I still love it? Also yes.
  • Most of Sawyer's run on the show: I love Sawyer's voice and was happy to see him win, but I will acknowledge he got quite a bit of hype/buildup that sometimes he struggled a bit to live up to. I have three exceptions to him being overrated - his audition, Iris, and Simple Man. 
  • Jordan Smith's run on the show: The over-the-top push for him to win drove me nuts even if he was a stellar vocalist - the one exception I have to make is for Somebody to Love.
  • Josh Gallagher: Self-explanatory.
  • Red Marlow: See Josh.
  • Chris Kroeze: See Josh and Red.
  • Gyth Rigdon: See Josh, Red, and Chris.
  • Katie Kadan: I love Katie a lot (and the show desperately needs more good alto representation, as a woman who can't hit some of the crazy high notes a lot of big-name artists can), but I was less surprised to see her end up in third than a lot of people were given her voice was polarizing at best.
  • Allegra Miles - Chandelier: Allegra's tone is phenomenal, but her enunciation drives me up a wall and I don't understand the hype over her KO. It's a good vocal, it's just not my taste.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zainab Tufail said:

Over-rated:

1- House Of The Rising Sun _ Kimberly Nichole(The most over-rated performance ever, it surely is great but not THE BEST like most of the people say)

2- Burning House _ Emily Ann Roberts(The worst rendition of the song and it still gave her the Runner-up spot)

3- Hallelujah _ Mathew Shular(Don't hate me I love Mathew and I think it was amazing but not the best cover of that song in the show's history, the only amazing thing about it was the EMOTION I may be wrong but it felt liked he was struggling to hit the high notes while Jordan Smith was slaying vocally and he harmonized and pitch broke for emotion and he did that very effortlessly.)

4- I Want To Know What Love Is _ Rose Short(It wasn't the most exciting version of that song while people react like it's the best I think Hunter, Chloe and Toneisha were better.)

5- What A Wonderful World _ T-storm Artis(I remember people saying that this is the winning song while Todd clearly crushed him in the FINALE)

How to trigger IDF in one post 😂

(respect ur opinion, while i disagre, I just thought it was funny)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:
  • Overrated (I'm prepared to get attacked for some of these):
  • Most of Sawyer's run on the show: I love Sawyer's voice and was happy to see him win, but I will acknowledge he got quite a bit of hype/buildup that sometimes he struggled a bit to live up to. I have three exceptions to him being overrated - his audition, Iris, and Simple Man. 
  • Jordan Smith's run on the show: The over-the-top push for him to win drove me nuts even if he was a stellar vocalist - the one exception I have to make is for Somebody to Love.

😡😡😡

Just now, Zainab Tufail said:

😡😡😡

I like both of them, I just tend to not enjoy seasons where there's a clear-cut producer-favored front-runner as much. Both of them are great artists and deserve every bit of success they have had after the show. Both of them had a number of solid performances while on the show, but either of them likely could've done just as well with the fans without the crazy amount of pimping they got.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

I like both of them, I just tend to not enjoy seasons where there's a clear-cut producer-favored front-runner as much. Both of them are great artists and deserve every bit of success they have had after the show. Both of them had a number of solid performances while on the show, but either of them likely could've done just as well with the fans without the crazy amount of pimping they got.

I love Jordan and Sawyer so much. I actually loved that producers pimped and hyped them cz it was so enjoyable to see them destroy everyone else. I may be biased when it comes to these two(everyone is biased when it comes to their favs)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zainab Tufail said:

Over-rated:

I feel personally attacked 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Under-rated:

1- Sad _ Amber Carrington(Well it's not Under-rated here but it certainly is among the viewers I actually think QUEEN AMBER is one of theist underrated contestants ever.)

2- Let Her Go _ Cole Vosbury( This is the best version of that song PERIODT I am pretty sure if it was a top 4 that season Cole would've been in the FINALE.)

3- A Natural Woman _ Amanda Brown(Of course it wasn't as great as DREAM ON but the fact that she got eliminated after that just made me loose hope in humanity)

3- You Are The Reason _ Reagan Strange(I'm still  mad that she didn't make it to the FINALE  if Adam had not given him CRY she could've easily been in the top 4)

4- Simple Man _ Andrew Sevener(He nailed it but I was so shocked to see people saying SHAWN WAS ROBBED)

5- Nobody Knows _ James David Carter(One of my fav blind audition ever and it was so sad for me to saw that even after that slyage he didn't get the recognition he deserve)

Edited by Zainab Tufail
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Only doing the past 2 seasons bc there's not enough time in the day for the others lol:

Overrated:

Joanna Serenko - Angel From Montgomery, Rich Girl

CammWess - Ain't No Sunshine, Rainbow

Allegra Miles - Overjoyed, Chandelier

Max Boyle - when the party's over

Kat Hammock - Vienna, God Only Knows, Somewhere Only We Know

Khalea Lynee - Because You Loved Me

Kyndal Inskeep - Never Been to Spain, Elastic Heart

Underrated:

Zan Fiskum - Blowin' In the Wind

Mandi Castillo - Corre

Myracle Holloway - Get Here

Rose Short - What Have You Done For Me Lately

Will Breman - My Body

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Underrated:

Warren Stone - (I Just) Died In Your Arms 

Owen Danoff - She’s Always A Woman

Caroline Pennell - The Way I Am

Lindsey Pavao - Say Aah

Koryn Hawthorne - Everybody Hurts

Overrated:

Emily Ann Roberts - Burning House

Cassadee Pope - Over You 

2 of my favorite contestants ever but these two performances are slighty overrated:

Amber Carrington - Stay

Maelyn Jarmon - Hallelujah (her voice sounds thinner than usual in this performance, is it just me? Vocally perfect tho)

Edited by Daillon

3 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

Underrated:

• Royce Lovett vs. Kiara Brown - Turn Your Lights Down Low: an absolutely fantastic reggae battle - Kiara's bright and clear high notes mixed well with Royce's huskier/sultrier tone. Blake said he wanted their version, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat if they recorded it and got it up for sale somewhere.

Overrated (I'm prepared to get attacked for some of these):

• Allegra Miles - Chandelier: Allegra's tone is phenomenal, but her enunciation drives me up a wall and I don't understand the hype over her KO. It's a good vocal, it's just not my taste.

I agreed w most of what I recognized, although I think Royce and Kiara's battle is ESPECIALLY underrated. They were both very good (and struggled in KOs), but this battle was great!

I think Allegra in general was liked on here, but I did notice that people in particular felt let down by her KO and enunciation compared to her Battle, which many liked (funnily enough, I'm the other way around!). I definitely see your perspective on her enunciation, but I think that a lot of IDF agrees with that point? Perhaps I'm wrong about that

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

Only doing the past 2 seasons bc there's not enough time in the day for the others lol:

Overrated:

Joanna Serenko - Angel From Montgomery

Max Boyle - when the party's over

Underrated:

Zan Fiskum - Blowin' In the Wind

Mandi Castillo - Corre

Myracle Holloway - Get Here

Rose Short - What Have You Done For Me Lately

Will Breman - My Body

oh my god seriously those four of the underrated ones you mentioned are AMAZING and other than zan's, most people on IDF sleep on them!!!! 

totally agree as well about Joanna and Max's KOs, I don't really like Max's KO that much, but I do think it was deserving of a steal.

Joanna's KO imo had waaaaaayyy too many runs and embellishments thrown in there - and that's coming from an allegra fan 😆

Edited by ashwinner

4 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

People saying Gracee Shriver would be the "Chloe Kohanski of her Season" when she was stolen. Now, THAT was a JOKE 

okay she had the potential to go farther given her pre-live performances imo, but i dont think she necessarily coulda made finales. i probably at the time said that she would though :oops: