The Drag Race Rankdown 3.0

Elliott

10 minutes ago, *Lily said:

You know it!

(Unless there’s any cuts this round which are more tragic.)

Gah I said that without knowing JC was gonna cut Kennedy. 😢  :dead:  

with th how this game has been going, that's totally going to happen. :lmao: 

9 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Lol my decision was going to be the opposite of JC’s. Welp. :dead:

Ahh no. :dead: 

SAHARA DAVENPORT

giphy.gif sahara7.gif giphy.gif

"Live, Love and Believe!!! XO. Sahara"

A drag queen from the house of Davenport, Sahara Davenport appeared on the 2nd season of RuPaul's Drag Race where she made it all the way to 7th place. Her journey on the series was far from being a perfect one, especially when taking into account that she took part in the first LSFYL of the season - she went against her college friend, Shangela Laquifa Wadley, whom sayshay'ed away.  After her appearance in the bottom 2,  Sahara was able to impress the judges in the dancing challenge for which she earned her only win of the competition. Unfortunately for Sahara, she was unable to use that her win as motivation for the remainder of the competition where she found herself in the Bottom 2 during the 5th and 6th week of the competition - she certainly proved herself to be a force to be reckoned with, in parts due to her incredible dancing skill. 

I truly believe without Sahara's participation on the show, RuPaul's Drag Race herstory may not be what it is - this could mean that Manila Luzon would not have participated in the 3rd season, Shangela may not have been the first one eliminated thus resulting in her non-participation in the following season, and what about the participation of the other Davenport's such as Kennedy, Honey, and Monet to name a few? Of course, we would never know if her non-participation would have led to those things. 

Sadly, in 2012, Sahara Davenport / Antoine Ashley passed away at 27 years following heart failure. I truly hope she is resting in peace and power while being proud of the success found by Manila & Kennedy since their participation on the show. To honor Sahara's memory, here's a song Manila recorded; 

SAVING: YARA SOFIA

Jade (Sotomayor)

Jade-2000.jpg

Jade placed 6th on the show's first season. I've included a picture so you can see what she looked like then and now, since I'm sure most of us barely remember what the Season 1 queens looked like without the Vaseline filter over the camera. Jade was the show's first Puerto Rican queen, but hails from Chicago. She placed 6th after losing a lipsync to the Eurythmics "Would I Lie to You" to R*becca Gl*sscock. Imagine your legacy being that you lost a lip sync to R*becca. In the four weeks we saw Jade, she was Safe during the Drag on a Dime challenge in Week 1. She placed high during the Girl Groups Challenge in Week 2. She placed low during the Oprah challenge the next week and then was sent home the following week during the Mac Cosmetics Commercial Challenge. Her elimination came as a bit of a shock after she won the mini challenge and earned extra time for her commercial shoot, but the judges felt she didn't use her extra time to its fullest and that, compared to the other queens, she wasn't improving at the same rate and didn't have the star potential. I'm not surprised we haven't seen Jade again, but I do think she might be an interesting All-Stars queen since the show likes to give Season 1 queens some exposure. I just wonder if she would struggle in the same way Ongina did. Oh well, that's Jade.

Save: All-Stars 4 Winner, Monet X Change

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

too bad we didnt lose both darienne and laganja.

Well, at least we can agree on this one thing this round.

Although Lily made the same choice I would have made between the last two, so I can't complain.

Laganja Estranja

200.gif

As different as they both are, Laganja and Darienne hold a lot of parallels for me. Both season 6 queens. Both great lip-syncers. Both had some pretty tragic runways and challenge performances. Both also found ways to really annoy me on the show. I think I found myself equally frustrated by them at the time. And yet, since watching the season, both have kinda grown on me. I think they're both real talented queens who just didn't come across the best way. My decision here is solely off of Laganja having a shorter run, but I'm sure Darienne will probably follow this cut not far away.

Laganja is one of the younger girls on her season, alongside Adore, Gia and..TKB which kinda baffles me because I felt like some of TKB's runways and lip-syncs felt like someone who had been in the biz for YEARS. Incredible. Anyway, back to Laganja... I feel like she went into the season really wanting to make an impression. Like... really wanting to. She was all about getting her quotes and her screentime. Understandably it became frustrating to watch and also frustrating for the other girls. I think this probably comes from a sense of being so young, and also so new to drag - it must be quite the adjustment for someone so new to the biz and so young. Overall Laganja doesn't do too badly in the show.. but she has some noticeable blips. Notably, her robotic Rachel Zoe, her verse in the rap challenge, and her last hurrah... her stand-up performance. Which is somehow now just so iconic because it is so, so, awful.

Laganja pulls out some pretty good lip-syncs in her time, she even wins a challenge with Adore although let's be real Adore was the star in that. But she goes at the right time. She really was cracking under the pressure moreso than ever by her last week and I think it was for the best that she went then.

Whilst Laganja has been pretty anti-returning in the last few years, she seems to be back on board now and would be willing to come back for an All-Stars. I think she is absolutely a great fit for the show at some point. Do I think she would do well? Not necessarily. But she has the growth storyline (coming back in her thirties and with more experience) and the drama that an All-Stars season would need. I'm sure we will see her back at some point in the future, but for now, she's a fair cut.

Saving Darienne Lake

• Sad 1