Dee Watches Survivor (Currently On Kaoh Rong)

Deeee

3 minutes ago, Deeee said:

T-Bird is a gem. So am I correct in assuming she was almost brought back, but then was abandoned by production in favor of other people? If so, what a mistake. T-Bird is a legend.

Kind of. Season 31 was a "Second Chance" season where 32* contestants who hadn't won and had only played once before were voted on by the fans to return to the game. It took place during the last few weeks of Worlds Apart's airing. T-Bird was one of the female options, but she didn't make the Top 10 in the viewer vote.

*Mike Holloway was part of the vote (since it was happening before his win was announced) and made the Top 10, but because he won Worlds Apart, he was removed from the cast and the guy who placed 11th in the vote made it through in his place.

Edited by Elliott

2 minutes ago, Deeee said:

This works for me. Then again any time works for me currently. LOL.

I'll have to track down a download since I've already used up my free trials of CBS All Access.

4 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Video Brother.

The few episodes that are not on Hulu I have pretty easily found on Dailymotion. I will have to check out this Video Brother though!

Edited by Deeee

THOUGHTS ON SURVIVOR: MARQUESAS

440px-Marquesas_Original_Fan_Recreation.

Marquesas is a horrible season. So underwhelming. Very hard to finish.  WAY TOO RELIGIOUS. Boring cast, might be the worst cast thus far. Horrible, horrible final two. Maybe the worst final two ever. Both had such poor gameplay and made me sad for them during Final Tribal Council.

Only reason to watch this season: Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien

John Carroll + Sean Rector are definitely solid characters as well, but Kathy is the one and only icon. What a journey. What a character. That is how you become a Survivor legend.

I guess Neleh offering the group a half-eaten mint from her mouth is a noteworthy moment, but yeah. The less said about Marquesas, the better. The season peaks with the shift in power, which is a cool gameplay move and definitely lays the foundation for more modern Survivor gameplay. Okay, I said something positive. I feel better.

*In my winner ranking, I have placed Vecepia above Ethan, Chris, and Earl. I think Vecepia is the worst winner thus far, but I have to give her credit for a solid under-the-radar gameplay that led her to the finals. Plus, she is the first and only Black woman to ever win Survivor, and the first Black woman to win a reality game show, period. That is iconic and must be respected, especially given how much more difficult it was for this to happen in 2001-2002.*

CAST RANKING

1. Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien - The F*cking GOAT. What an icon. Kathy started the season out as a complete and utter mess, but quickly realized that her personality was just not meshing well with the rest of Rotu. Kathy is very Type A, very controlling, and super emotional/sensitive. But her hard work ethic and introspective skills allowed her to quickly adapt to the dynamics of the original Rotu group and find a happy medium within the tribe. Kathy felt heard after a little bit, and helped mobilize what might be the hardest-working tribe I have ever seen. I just thought it was beautiful how Kathy realized her behavior needed to change if she wanted to advance. Then the tribe swap throws a major wrench in the progress she made with Rotu. Kathy fears her position on Maraamu, since Gina quickly forms relationships with Paschal and Neleh.  She starts to revert back to her bossy ways, but starts to form a new family that includes Gina. She led the Maraamu team to some really nice surprise victories, and strategically maneuvered around the Sarah + Gina eliminations. Kathy has that crazy summit with Boston Rob and brilliantly handles all of his lies + half-truths. Crazy Kathy that has turned down all of her craziness to bond with these individuals is very clearly hurt by what could or could not be true. Everybody was lying to her and she decided to kill the immunity challenge at just the right moment. Kathy is the other key player in the blindside of the Rotu 4, convincing Paschal to flip on them because she is a strategic goddess. Even though she cannot convert Paschal/Neleh at the start, nor can she butter up the Rotu 4 with Snickers, she plants the seeds that will later grow into beautiful, fully realized plans! Her next iconic moments come with the family visit episode. Kathy's teary-eyed revelations that life on the island is becoming dangerously depressing and unstable is pretty deep stuff. That is why her entire visit with her son after the reward win is such heartwarming stuff. You could tell just how much Kathy needed Patrick. She literally asked her son for help on how to play the game, while also putting him to work. LOL. She starts realizing that she has placed herself in a precarious position - the swing vote between two sets of best friends. And being forced to consider the racial pressures of being said swing vote. Hence why her clutch immunity challenge win over Neleh is such an awesome moment. Her decision to vote out Sean might be one of the craziest moments of the season, but is ultimately why I loved Kathy so much. Kathy invested you in her struggle to figure out if anything she was doing was actually the right thing to do. She had such a harrowing journey on Marquesas and is really the shining star of the season. Her strategic prowess continues when she convinces Vecepia to tie the vote, make a quick alliance, and take each other to the finals. This buys Kathy one more day in the competition, since she survives the Purple Rock fiasco. Her entire journey through the tribute process really highlights her incredible journey to Day 38 and just how much she had grown as a person and player. I was gutted by her loss in the final immunity challenge and her subsequent elimination. But that just goes to show you how iconic of a character she was to make me such an invested viewer. I love Kathy. 🤎

2. John Carroll - At least John brought the drama. Contentious as hell, super self-righteous, high on control and power, super chaotic, really b*tchy. John had all the ingredients of an awesome Survivor player on any other season when the cast was not the worst thing ever assembled. John had a solid feud with Rob and Sean. John was attacked by nearly every form of sea wildlife and begged for people to pee on his hand. John calling out Gabe for his delusions and then turning on him was a moment. John going off about Vecepia and Neleh being hyper-religious and horrible players was the truth we all needed to hear. I really liked the idea that John was committed to playing a super honest game, but he could not see that his chaotic quest for integrity was quickly souring on everybody around him. John got drunk with power, and could not tame himself enough to save his own behind. Fun storyline for a fun character.

3. Sean Rector - Way too religious for my liking, but he had so many great moments on the show. Though I questioned his close bond with Boston Rob and some of his behavior (his comments on some of the women), Sean was a hilarious, and often emotional force that this season needed. Sean called things out and was generally pretty correct in his assessment of situations. He never tried to play a scared game, and though he was confrontational, I really admired his way to see through the transparent actions of his competitors. His fearlessness in the game allowed him to rally the troops at the right moment and completely impact the course of the entire season. Him convincing Kathy + Vecepia to flip was solid work. However, Sean is at his best when he is being a hilarious narrator. Him freaking out over horseback riding since he is a city boy, constantly farting at nighttime, calling out everybody for taking out himself + Vecepia first in the challenge, threatening to call Johnnie Cochran, making fun of "The Love Tribe," etc. Sean had plenty of hilarious moments. But he was also very endearing. I loved him taking Vecepia aside on her birthday to comfort her. I loved how much he appreciated the reward experience with Paschal, and how this made him reflect on not having a father while growing up. Sean is another character that I wish had been on a season with a better cast.

-----WHO CARES-----

4. Tammy Leitner - Here for the Hypocrites speech, and that speech alone. I needed somebody to call out all of the non-stop preaching. She was ballsy enough to take on that job. I really enjoyed her practicing on the stilts in private so that she could win immunity and save herself. Cool moment. She had a brief spat with Zoe. She clearly did not care to cater to John's every wish. Overall, not a bad player. 

5. Vecepia Towery - Take a shot every time Vecepia prays. Take a shot every time Vecepia talks about there being too much drama. Take a shot every time Vecepia says she avoids drama. Take a shot every time Vecepia gives people hugs. She is nice, but she is holier-than-thou and a massive bore. Listen, I want to give major props to Vecepia for being a groundbreaking winner. She clearly decided to ass-kiss, be nice to everybody, talk to everybody, and pray her way to the end. That all worked out for her. I think she took an under-the-radar approach that somehow worked out in her favor. Vecepia remained likable and did fairly well in competitions, even earning herself two individual immunities. Vecepia managed to continue to flip-and-flop between groups enough to never end up in too much danger. I do think there was some intention behind her gameplay, but I also think a lot of her success was luck + sucking up to people. This is clearly very evident in her Final Tribal Council performance, where she cannot even really state clearly what her strategy was? Or coherently answer a question? All I gathered was that she had a strategy, since she used that specific word like 1000 times. Vecepia won because she was nice and flipped with the other four at just the right moment post-merge. But I think she won for being likable, rather than being a good player with any clear strategy? IDK. I am very conflicted, but she is probably the worst winner. Still giving her major props though because she does deserve them.

6. Neleh Dennis - I hate her name. Neleh ranks this high solely because she took the half eaten mint out of her mouth and tried to offer it to the tribe. LOL. A horrible game player that sort of  had to swallow her pride and admit that she was a horrible game player overall. Neleh was basically non-existent for most of the competition and her one solid move was to jump ship and boot off the Rotu 4. Beyond that, Neleh scraped her way to the end because Kathy decided to keep her around as a less valuable player + Purple Rock. Her performance at Final Tribal Council made me cringe. Yeah. Just not memorable. 

7. Paschal English - Me thinks that the edit protected him a bit when it came to the discussions of racial motivations. Some of the comments he made about Sean and Vecepia towards the end of the season rubbed me the wrong way, such as, "They think they just deserve this and that pisses me off." The sweet Paschal from the beginning of the season that formed this really sweet friendship with Neleh, surprised in the challenges, bonded with Sean in an impactful way, suddenly disappeared as soon as the two Black tribe members were forced to explain their bond with one another. That really made me side-eye the hell out of him. He ranks this high for at least having conflict and interpersonal relationships to talk about. Though his relationship with Neleh is nowhere near as interesting at the producers would like us to believe.

8. Sarah Jones - LOL @ her laziness being her prominent storyline. The image of everybody rowing to the beach while she sits there with her boobs out is an iconic image. Too bad she cozied up to Boston Rob immediately, flirting heavily with him from the second they arrived. It was very clear that Sarah was out of her element the entire time. You have to laugh at her trying to abandon the group when collecting water, but got lost immediately and had to return to the group so they could guide her back to camp. Or her trying to come up with a reason as to why she voted for Hunter, but could not think of a reason! Hating Kathy because she would not leave her alone to be lazy. What a fun side character.

9. Zoe Zanidakis - LOL @ her pretending she had no idea she was in an alliance! And somehow investing in this lie that she could not pass off as a good lie becuase everybody knew she was lying! Then she decided to randomly turn into a stone cold b*tch and hate Tammy + John + Robert. LOL. Zoe then decides to start making everybody not once in the Rotu 4 shell necklaces to kiss ass. LOLOLOLOL. Fun side character, but unimportant.

10. Gina Crews - Meh. Nice. Rational. Managed to survive an additional week in the competition. Gotta love the fact that she lost so much, but yet still could not become a compelling underdog. 

11. Robert DeCanio - His nickname drove me absolutely crazy. Besides that all I can remember about him is that his foot was cut open at one point. You have to laugh at his grumpiness when he realized that his days were numbered in the competition. The most invisible member of the Rotu 4, and the most uninteresting. Yet somehow the last one standing. Gotta attribute that to the fact that he was pretty nice as a person.

12. Peter Harkey - Okay so I really figured he legitimately had some screws loose. LOL. Him talking about holes in the body. Dude had zero social awareness. At least he was sort of fun to watch during his one episode.

13. Gabriel Cade - He was not there to play the game, everybody. LOL. I wanted his refusal to admit that he is playing a game to be funnier, but I think he legitimately was just there as some sort of social experiment/vacation. The delusion could have been fun! Hell, even him deciding to become cutthroat could have been fun. Instead, he just proved that he was actually only there to be a badass at camp and during competitions. Boring.

14. Hunter Ellis - LOL @ how important he thought himself to be. A control freak and self-appointed leader, watching Hunter leave way before he thought he deserved to is a low-key highlight of this season. 

15. Patricia Jackson - The real-life mother that thought she could be the Survivor mother, but in reality was super abrasive and rude? On paper, sounds iconic. But nothing really came of her bad behavior, and she was quickly booted.

16. Rob Mariano - A huge homophobic, woman-hater that just made my skin crawl. IDGAF that he is a legend, he was not even fun to watch? The largest hypocrite in the world. A snake that thought he was being dubious and deceptive, yet he was just way too easy to read? A lazy loser. The attitude. The cockiness. All of it was very cringeworthy. There is not even a fun delusion to him. What a bad look for him this season is, just poor gameplay, poor personality. 

MY FAVORITE MOMENT

tumblr_nckx51y1h91sq0qzoo2_250.gifv

SEASON RANKING

1. Borneo

2. Panama - Exile Island

3. China

4. Palau

5. Vanuatu

6. Africa

7. Guatemala

8. The Australian Outback

9. Cook Islands

10. Marquesas

11. Fiji

WINNER RANKING

1. Richard Hatch

2. Todd Herzog

3. Yul Kwon

4. Aras Baskauskas

5. Tom Westman

6. Tina Wesson

7. Danni Boatwright

8. Vecepia Towery

9. Ethan Zohn

10. Chris Daugherty

11. Earl Cole

1 minute ago, *Lily said:

Just following this now as I’ve started my binge watch/rewatch and am going through Borneo again!

I’m excited to see Sean again when I get to Marquesas. Such a great character ❤️ 

Yayayay! Cannot wait to hear your thoughts friend!

Definitely a great character. Too preachy, but had so many fantastic moments.

• Like 1