Dee Watches Survivor (Currently On Kaoh Rong)

Deeee

2 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Okay I'm in :haha: It has to be NOT during working hours though. That uh....would be a disaster!

Just now, Elliott said:

Preferably after 11pm Eastern 😘

Sounds like a plan! I am very excited for this. LOL.

8 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Nah Thailand suuuuuuuuuuucks. I just think there's some good characters.

It really does. Thailand, Nicaragua, and Fiji are easily the worst that I’ve seen. I know you have all said Island of the Idols is up there.

14 minutes ago, Deeee said:

It really does. Thailand, Nicaragua, and Fiji are easily the worst that I’ve seen. I know you have all said Island of the Idols is up there.

Nicaragua is SO entertaining though!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Edge of Extinction is up there as well oof.

Yep. Other than DvG, MvGX is the last season I actually enjoyed, so the second half of the 30s has been rough. Winners at War was alright; all dislike for Tony aside, I would've enjoyed it more if the episodes were longer so the storylines actually made sense.

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Yep. Other than DvG, MvGX is the last season I actually enjoyed, so the second half of the 30s has been rough. Winners at War was alright; all dislike for Tony aside, I would've enjoyed it more if the episodes were longer so the storylines actually made sense.

Actually, I take that back. I kind of enjoyed the first few episodes of Game Changers but it was terrible after Day 14.

Edited by Elliott

18 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Those were definitely the 2 best seasons of the 30s. Kaoh Rong would probably be the next best but it certainly had some problems as well but at least I didn't actively dislike it like I did with some of the other seasons in the 30s. I really liked Winners at War but that's 40 so its not in the 30s 😂

Edited by QueenKalie

52 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Those were definitely the 2 best seasons of the 30s. Kaoh Rong would probably be the next best but it certainly had some problems as well but at least I didn't actively dislike it like I did with some of the other seasons in the 30s. I really liked Winners at War but that's 40 so its not in the 30s 😂

KR is my favourite of the 30s and one of my favourite seasons overall.

46 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I think people forget IOI had a GREAT premerge and we were all pretty high on the season even with the stupid twist...and then the merge happened :dead:

Dean didn’t get enough airtime for me :giggle:, but I guess you’re right. I remember thinking the season would correct some of the ill doings that EoE gave us. 

THOUGHTS ON SURVIVOR: THE AUSTRALIAN OUTBACK

Survivor.australia.logo.png

Not gonna lie, The Australian Outback is the season I most fondly remember. So many great memories of watching this season with family and absolutely adoring most of the cast. I was really anticipating this rewatch. Now that it's finished, I gotta be honest. The Australian Outback is really boring. There is probably the least entertainment per episode of any season that I have watched thus far. And it's so strange that my memories of the season are so fond, but I guess that nostalgia is one hell of a drug. Because it's almost difficult to make it through this season.

Maybe I feel so negatively about this season since I am fresh-off the iconic Borneo. There is a strong story told on Borneo and an extremely dark tone that makes viewing the season a truly unique experience. Each character tells a particular story on Borneo, and the actions and consequences of these characters really created the legacy that is this series today. The themes of allegiance, betrayal, separation of game and personal identity, acknowledgement of one's actions, all resonate so strongly throughout the 39 days spent on Borneo.

The Australian Outback feels like a competition between people trying to win the title of "Nicest Person," rather than "Sole Survivor." On the one hand, this makes for a nice and easy viewing experience. The entire post-merge group sans Jerri is an extremely likable one. Every single post-merge finalist, particularly the Final Five feels like a group of people all worthy of the million-dollar prize. On the other hand, this makes finishing the longest season in Survivor history a long and tedious task. The group gets along! All of the time! Which is nice sometimes, but very boring most of the time. With the blindside of Jerri, the season becomes completely non-confrontational. Even before her boot, nobody was providing entertainment, besides Jerri. There were a few spats here and there, but overall, this season literally feels like a bunch of friends hanging out at summer camp.

The positive side to this friendliness is that we do get a pretty deep look into the characters and their interpersonal relationships. I feel like a lot of that is missing in the later, more hyper-competitive and hyper-strategic seasons. Truly a likable cast, so it seems fitting that we get to spend a lot of time with them as people. 

My issue is that The Australian Outback fails to capitalize on the amazing start provided by Borneo. Instead of continuing to carry the torch and expand on the stories being told by the cast of Borneo, this second season feels like the antithesis of Borneo. LOL. While the contestants feel far more prepared for this being a game, the stakes never feel very high? And I think that's because nobody had any real strategy besides vote out the least likable individual? Or the individual that caused them to lose on any given day? Everybody got along, which just does not make for great television. Unfortunately.

The Australian Outback only seems to pick up on what Borneo brought in terms of making alliances. Tina/Colby/Keith/Amber/Jerri making the alliance over on Okagor, with Tina/Colby/Keith making a sub-alliance is probably the most interesting way the game evolves in this second season. Especially come time for the merge when both Okagor and Kucha are concerned with the coming into the merge with the numbers, and concealing the players with the most votes accumulated thus far. This is maybe when the game peaks, and then starts to decline again as Okagor just decides to pick off Kucha one-by-one, until they don't. The blindsides of Jerri and Amber are great moments, but no bigger than the blindside of Gretchen on Borneo. At least there did seem to be thought put into longevity in the game.

The most interesting aspect of The Australian Outback is likely just how grueling it was for this cast to survive. This particular group of contestants were wrecked by nature. Severely wrecked. To have their camp wrecked, then moved, then having to sacrifice coverings in order to get more food, only to have their camp destroyed again. I do not know if I have seen a group of finalists so drained before. The survival aspect of The Australian Outback is top notch.

Tina is a good winner, but not a great one. I used to think she was top tier, but I think I have to change my mind on that this time around. Did she run circles around mostly everybody strategically? Absolutely. But I cannot give her too much credit, since the accident with Mike is really the only reason she even had a chance at winning. After that point, the Okagor tribe did not need to worry too much after the crucial vote against Varner. Was Tina critical in blindsiding Jerri and Amber? Yes. Were Jerri or Amber ever winning the money? No. They were also not winning immunities and were at the bottom of the totem pole. And Colby made the worst decision of all-time in taking her to the finals, since Tina was actually the most likable on a season where most cast members valued being genuine, kind, etc.

*Ranking this cast was very difficult. I moved everybody around (besides Jerri) a lot of times, and still do not necessarily feel comfortable with this final standings. But I am leaving this be for now because I have thought about this for way too long. LOL.*

CAST RANKING

1. Jerri Manthey - Do I even need to explain this to any of you? LOL. An icon. The original "villain." But not a villain in the regular sense of the word. Complex. Hilarious. Iconic. Jerri Manthey is the reason to watch The Australian Outback.

2. Kimmi Kappenberg - Fight me, but Kimmi is a hilarious oddball. Obnoxious as hell. From that first night in the shelter, you can just tell that Kimmi is going to rub everybody the wrong way. Kimmi tried to convince everybody to leave the chickens alone, and eat the eggs for more protein. Kimmi had to deal with eating the worm, despite being a long-time vegetarian. Kimmi fought with Alicia because she just could not let the issues with the chickens go. LOL. I laughed at Kimmi, and that is more than I can say for most people this season.

3. Colby Donaldson - The moral strategist who lost himself the entire competition because he could not bare to bring Keith to the finals. LOL. That alone makes him one of the only compelling characters on the show, but the entire season is centered on Colby. He is the narrator of the season and is meant to be the relatable hero. Colby has this funny one-sided relationship with Jerri. Well, one-sided eventually. Colby played the game masterfully. His winning streak was pretty intimidating. A lot of the season is focused on Colby and only Colby, since he spent so much time alone due to winning so many rewards. I just think the consequences of him picking Tina for the finals really lend to the legacy of Survivor. Colby tried to be a hero until the very last moment, and though he considered the possibility of Tina beating him, I think his dominance in the competition clouded his judgment. His loss is proof that the person you would expect to win, might just not win. He was overcome by the unassuming Tina, who had to navigate her spot more than he did, since he was safe for nearly all of the competition post-merge.

4. Tina Wesson - Probably a controversial decision. The strongest strategical player of the season. Fact. Aided by circumstance rather than controlling the game? Fact. That does not mean Tina was not the ferocious, feisty, hard-edged, sweet, innocent contestant we all know her to be. But Tina was far less iconic than I remember her being? Not to say she was lacking in wonderful moments while on the show - turning on Mad Dog, forming the strongest alliance of the season, contributing to the blindside of Jerri and Amber, jumping in that flood/rapid to save the rice, standing on the log for over ten hours, etc. But none of these moments are particularly iconic or indicative of a legend? I think we got to know Tina as a person very well over the course of the season, and you can talk a lot about how sweet she was, and how dedicated she was to playing a commendable game. Her focus on being a moralist, but abandoning the morals when need be. Tina is a solid winner, just not an incredible winner when revisiting her 42 day experience. Rootable? Yes. Iconic? Maybe not as much as I once thought.

5. Elisabeth Filarski-Hasselbeck - F*ck her IRL, but her character on the show is still this genuinely awesome person that you wish had never changed. Or maybe you wish she had never revealed her true self. LOL. But Elisabeth was part of the awesome duo with Rodger. Genuinely was a positive force throughout the entire experience. Why do I have her this high? I think Elisabeth was far more driven to flip Okagor than the edit would let on. Not to say that her relationships that she formed with Okagor post-merge were insincere, but I think Elisabeth knew that her only shot in the competition was to flip people through her kindness. And it kind of worked? Elisabeth was the last-standing Kucha and advanced all the way to the Final Four. 

6. Alicia Calaway - Badass. That is the best way to describe Alicia. Her fight with Kimmi over the chickens is the highlight of the season. "I will ALWAYS wave my finger in your face." "I'm tired of you and the f*cking chicken!" LOL. I think she was such a physical specimen and had a cool personality, even if she came at Kimmi very harshly. I would have loved to see her last longer on this season, but she definitely has all the ingredients of an ideal Survivor player. 

7. Rodger Bingham - Very, very lovable. The friendship between him and Elisabeth is one of the most compelling parts of the season? A very awesome duo (personal feelings set aside for my assessment of Elisabeth "The View" Hasselbeck). Like a broken record, I will say that Rodger is an awesome guy, but not an exciting or an entertaining character. Though I will say that I think he and Elisabeth had the final two snatched up if Kucha had won the numbers game. 

8. Keith Famie - He sparred with Jerri, which makes him one of the more interesting people this season. The feud between the two is fun, even though childish. Keith has a pretty obnoxious attitude about him, but he also seemed very harmless. But he had plenty of memorable moments and played a solid strategic game that led him to the Final Three. 

9. Jeff Varner - Default placement. But Varner gave really snarky confessionals and sh*t-talked the horrid Skupin, so he earns a spot this high for those reasons alone. Again, not a very integral part of the season, and his elimination is more important than he is to understanding the game that was played this season.

10. Maralyn Hershey - Mad Dog! Three episode gem. LOL. 

11. Amber Brkich-Marino - Too low? Maybe. But her first appearance is boring. Just like Nick, we really only get to know Amber because she lasted so long in the competition? Not due to personal strengths, but just because she was part of the right alliance. Which kudos. Amber is sweet, quiet, unassuming. Her most interesting moment is realizing that her ass is on the chopping block after Jerri leaves the competition. IDK. Very sweet, but uninteresting. She is more interesting for being eliminated in a blindside. "Meatball Sub" is her best moment. Easily.

12. Nick Brown - Despite making the final seven, Nick contributed absolutely nothing to the season. Nick is very dry, which led to some comedic moments. But the only reason he even received airtime was due to his being part of Kucha + the Skupin fire accident. 

13. Debb Eaton - Honestly, Debb had a really funny one episode. She was delusional and bossy and loud and obnoxious. But this season needed that energy. She tried to build a shelter out of rocks. Period.

14. Mitchell Olson - Just not very interesting? I think his elimination is probably a big moment in the history of Survivor, since strategy now needs to account for votes against an individual. But Mitchell was not value added to the season.

15. Kel Gleason - #BeefJerkyGate. Maybe that event should earn Kel a higher ranking, but I found him really uncomfortable and awkward to watch. Not in a fun way. The whole throwing darts at Jerri's picture is also not very entertaining. Whatever.

16. Mike Skupin - Disgusting, vile, piece of sh*t that can f*ck all the way off. And to think he is one of the more compelling contestants. He's sick and I hope he rots.

MY FAVORITE MOMENT

tumblr_mb1getoDJj1qczidxo3_r1_250.gifv

tumblr_mn2r47t5Ow1qcnzaso1_250.gif

SEASON RANKING

1. Borneo

2. Panama - Exile Island

3. China

4. Palau

5. Vanuatu

6. Guatemala

7. The Australian Outback

8. Cook Islands