Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

SHOPLIFTERS

Shoplifters_(film).jpg

Shoplifters, the English name for the Japanese film 万引き家族 which translates to Shoplifting Family, is a 2018 drama film that is - obviously - from Japan. Written, directed,  and edited by Hirokazu Kore-eda, and starring Lily Franky and Sakura Ando, Shoplifters is about a [non-biological] family that relies on shoplifting as a means of coping with their extreme poverty. Kore-eda wrote the screenplay after inspired by reports on poverty and shoplifting in Japan, and principal photography began in mid-December 2017. After a quick filming and post-production schedule, the film was released at Cannes Film Festival on May 13, 2018, where it won the Palme d'Or award. The film ultimately became both a critical and commercial success following its Japanese release on June 8, 2018. The film has received numerous nominations and several awards wins, as well as grossing nearly $77 million at the box office. I've never heard of it until now, but reading about it has me intrigued. At the very least, it should still be here over Mids*mmar.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Brackets and traditional Japanese writing in a non copy and pasted writeup is new 👀

I had to copy the Japanese characters, but if it’s a foreign film, I like to include its native title in my write-ups. :claybleh: I have in the previous foreign films I cut in here.

The Conjuring 2

Conjuring_2.jpg

NGL I only nominated this and The Conjuring bc I realized that they haven’t been nominated so… yeah. Also I have no attachments to a lot of horror movies so I didn’t particularly care, so that made it easy on top of easy. Anyway, this was released in 2016 and was directed by James Wan. It’s a direct sequel to The Conjuring, and stars Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga who reprise their roles as paranormal investigators, but this time the go to the UK. The movie had solid reviews and commercial success, and got a prequel (The Nun) and a sequel to be released next year.

Edited by NGM

On My Way Running GIF by Regal

I’m slightly surprised about some of the movies saved but it is what it is ig. 1917 was a war movie directed and produced by Sam Mendes (who also co-wrote it with Krysty Wilson-Cairns), and is based around WWI, where a group of British soldiers are ordered to deliver a message calling off an attack. The film stars George MacKay and Dean-Charles Chapman, with Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Claire Duburcq, Colin Firth, and Benedict Cumberbatch in supporting roles. The film received a ton of critical acclaim and was a commercial success, with numerous noms (among those 10 Oscar noms, and wins in Golden Globes and BAFTA).

Edited by NGM

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (Victoria Writeups Due)

What We Do in the Shadows

HatefulTotalBrant-size_restricted.gif

What We Do in the Shadows was released in 2014 and is categorized as a mockumentary horror comedy film. The movie hails from New Zealand and was written and directed by Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi. It's the first installment in the What We Do in the Shadows franchise. I didn't even know that was a thing. :haha: The film also stars Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi, Jonathan Brugh, Ben Fransham, Cori Gonzalez-Macuer, Stu Rutherford and Jackie van Beek. The film is about several vampires who live together in a flat in Wellington. The movie received critical acclaim and has mailed $6.9 million dollars worldwide at the box office. The movie has a 96% approval rating on RT and there is proposed sequel that was in development that has since stopped for unknown reasons. I'm not sure if it will ever come to fruition. There have been two television spin-offs though called Wellington Paranormal and What We Do in the Shadows. This movie has made it very far probably flying under the radar this whole time but it's time is up.

Cycle 17 ~The Final Nominations~

giphy.gif

Let's wrap this long ass game up! You will each nominate 18 films. The other 9 rankers save one film and cut one film. No twists are in affect and nothing is immune. This will be your final opportunity for the entire game to nominate so make it count! After this round there will only be 30 films left, so I'm assuming you all know what will come next. Don't miss your final opportunities to take the shots you need to take!

Final nominating order:

M865I8c.png

@totes4totes will start off our second to last cycle of the game with her final 18 nominees.

@#jeah @*Chris @NGM @1234567890 @Elliott @Deeee @aliasocfan @.Rei @Steven_

We the Animals

ThatPlushHarlequinbug-size_restricted.gi

I instantly regret having a hand in eliminating this film after seeing the gif of this fine man. :( I literally had no idea who was in the movie or what the movie was about in my defense, but man is this guy hot. :muwahaha: We the Animals was released in 2018 and is an American coming of age drama film. The film was directed by Jeremiah Zagar and written by Jeremiah Zagar and Dan Kitrosser. The movie is based on the novel of the same name by Justin Torres. The film stars Evan Rosado, Raúl Castillo, Sheila Vand, Isaiah Kristian, and Josiah Gabriel. Raúl Castillo is the papi in the gif above. :wub: The movie is about a man named Jonah who grew up with rambunctious brothers in a working class mixed-race family in upstate New York. He must content with both his volatile father and his emerging homosexuality. That part was taken from my best friend, Wikipedia. 🍷The film has an approval rating of 91% on RT and I will definitely be checking it out. :yes:

• Like 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (Cycle 17 Posted)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (Megan's Noms Next)

Noms:

1. Easy A

2. The Fighter

3. Incendies

4. Inception

5. Super 8

6. War Horse

7. The Dark Knight Rises

8. Moonrise Kingdom

9. Silver Linings Playbook

10. The Way Way Back

11. The Grand Budapest Hotel

12. Brooklyn

13. The Martian

14. Room

15. Spotlight

16. Deadpool

17. God's Own Country

18. I, Tonya

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (Megan's Noms Posted)