Can't Nominate:

Pariah

Rust & Bone

Okja

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

• Like 1

OTHER PEOPLE (2016)

6AOWEJNIG5AZVEGQUZDEB3STL4.jpg

Look, I love a gay movie as much as anyone here does, but this one was not one that I was living for. It's cute, funny, heartwarming and heartbreaking at times, with good performances all around, but it was just a tad too cutesy for me to want to go back to it, unlike other LGBT themed movies that I stan. Still, that's not to say this isn't worth a watch, as it deals with much more than just the internal struggle of being a gay man who grew up in a crushingly conservative religious household (which I know all too well and still deal with the ramifications that has, almost daily). Anyways I digress...this movie stars the great Jesse Plemons, as well as Molly Shannon, Maude Apatow, Zach Woods, and June Squibb among others. It's about a man who goes back to the great city of Sacramento to take care of his dying mother. Of course going home to a not accepting family is never fun, even when your mother is dying believe it or not!

Save: Sicario

MISSING LINK

Missing_Link_2019_poster.png

Just looking at that poster has me going What the f*ck is this? Fortunately, there's DuckDuckGo and Wikipedia for that question, so here we go! Missing Link is a 2019 stop-motioned animated film written and directed by Chris Butler. I've never heard of the guy, but he's got a fantastic last name. A high budget effort that features the voices of Hugh Jackman, Zoe Saldana, David Walliams, Stephen Fry, Matt Lucas, worst Ghostface Timothy Olyphant, Amrita Acharia, Ching Valdes-Aran, Emma Thompson, and Zach Galifianakis. Why do animated movies always hire such big names to do the voices? Nobody can see them and half of the time, we can't recognize their voices anyway! (Flashbacks to the Alvin & the Chipmunks movies, lol.) The plot of the film follows a Sasquatch who teams up with an English explorer to meet his Yeti cousins in the Himalayas. It was considered a box office bomb, making just $26 million against a budget of $102 million. Despite that, it won the Golden Globe Award for Best Animated Feature Film, and also received a nomination at the 92nd Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature. Naturally Toy Story 4 won that award.

SAVE: The movie Megan asked me to save

• Like 1

Wow I didn't even have to do a write-up ❤️

I actually think Missing Link is a really good movie! The animation is incredible. I agree with Elliott though that getting big celebrity names is kind of dumb for animated movies and makes light of the incredible talent a lot of trained and specialized voice actors have.

LIZZIE

Lizzie_(2018_flim_poster).png

Lizzie is a film starring Chloë Sevigny and Kristen Stewart. The movie is based on a true story of Lizzie Borden, the main suspect of the axe murders of her father Andrew and stepmother Abby. Before the murder occurs, the film showcases the cruelty of Lizzie’s father and when he sexually assaulted the servant Bridget. In addition, Lizzie and Bridget begin a romantic affair. After Andrew catches Lizzie and Bridget having sex, he confronts Lizzie and forbids her from speaking to Bridget again. Shortly afterwards, Andrew and Abby are found dead. Lizzie is charged and acquitted, but a flashback shows both Lizzie and Bridget carrying out the murders. Lizzie and Bridget also go their separate ways. Rotten Tomatoes gives Lizzie a 66% approval rating and says “Lizzie forces audiences to take a new look at a widely known true-crime story -- even if the well-acted end result is never quite as gripping as it could be.” Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out goes Lizzie from the rankdown.

And I’ll save Sully.