Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

The Wolverine

I have seen this movie and thinks it’s alright (it won’t change your life, but it’s a decent way to spend 2 hrs), but I have zero time so speaking abt a movie I know it’s easier lol. This was released in 2013, and saw Hugh Jackman as Wolverine for who knows what time (can’t blame him, the superhero dollars are too good to pass up), and deals with Logan traveling to Japan, people trying to steal his healing powers, and some of his PTSD from Last Stand (we still need help with that as viewers btw). Anyway, bye!

Save: Godzilla

Edited by NGM

Thoroughbreds (2017 dir. by Cory Finley)

source.gif

Thoroughbreds is amazing and I love Anna-Taylor Joy! Very excited to watch her as Magik in The New Mutants! I felt like this film was super underrated and not talked about enough when it was released. Dark comedy films are some of my favorite, and this film certainly does not disappoint in that arena. It's also a thriller, which means this movie was certainly made to please me! 

I would assume most of you in this thread need to see this movie, so I will not dive too much into the plot. But it basically follows high school student Lily (Joy) and her emotionless friend Amanda, portrayed by Olivia Cooke, as they plot to kill the former's stepfather by using a drug dealer. The drug dealer, Tim, is portrayed by Anton Yelchin in what would be his last theatrical film released in the US. 

Thoroughbreds was released to really positive reviews for its unpredictability and fresh script, as well as the way the film combines the genres of dark comedy and thriller. The performances of Joy and Cooke also garnered heavy praise. I loved everything about this film. I think all of you that have not watched it should do so! Currently holds an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 75/100 on Metacritic. I only eliminated this film because I want to try and support as many international entries in this game that I can.

SAVING: I Saw the Devil

Nominees:

1. Somewhere

2. Tangled

3. The Iron Lady

4. The Bay

5. Celeste and Jesse Forever

6. Premium Rush

7. Dallas Buyers Club

8. Rush

9. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

10. Cake

11. 4th Man Out

12. The Blackcoat’s Daughter

13. The Hateful Eight

14. Southpaw

15. Steve Jobs

16. The Jungle Book

17. The Greatest Showman

18. A Star is Born

THE BAY

image.jpeg.4cdf6231455fdd9ad26c95a0ceafbf1d.jpeg

The Bay is a found footage horror film released in 2012. The story is about people celebrating 4th of July at Chesapeake Bay suddenly becoming infected by a deadly parasite. The town is shut down and various recordings from the event are gathered together to figure out exactly what happened to these people. The government tried to cover up the truth about what happened, but a reporter leaks the footage with the hope that the truth will finally be revealed. This sounds like an intriguing premise, and found footage films can sometimes be done well. I don’t know if I’ll seek it out to watch anytime soon though. Anyway, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 76% approval rating and says “Barry Levinson's eco-horror flick cleverly utilizes familiar found-footage methods in service of a gruesome yet atmospheric chiller.” Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out goes The Bay from the rankdown.

And I’m saving Tangled.

SphericalAffectionateFinnishspitz-size_restricted.gif

The Jungle Book (2016 dir. by Jon Favreau)

giphy.gif

The best of all the completely unnecessary live-action/CGI Disney remakes! Except that does not make me compelled to save it at all. Probably because I am so annoyed that Disney continues to be complete unimaginative and unoriginal in their attempts to be as big of a cash cow as possible!!! 

We all know this story. We are literally playing our second Disney-themed Rankdown right now. The cast of this film is very talented: Neel Sethi, Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Lupita Nyong'o, Giancarlo Esposito, and Christopher Walken. Scarlett Johansson stars as Kaa, and this was is a massively missed opportunity. Since she should have portrayed a tree!!!

Everything about this film is impressive. Visual effects are incredible. Musical score is effective. Perfect balance between the Kipling novels and the original Disney film. Solid vocal performances. The film was released to critical acclaim. 30th highest-grossing film of all-time. A ton of year-end award nominations + wins. 

This is probably the best these Disney "reimagining" films will ever be, but I still cannot jump on board with these films completely. A sequel is being made, which I actually look forward to a little bit more since there might be more inspiration to be found in that film. Sorry to any fans.

SAVING: The Blackcoat's Daughter

STEVE JOBS (2015)

6rCb.gif

Ngl I actually haven't seen this movie; though the cast is great I just don't see how a movie about the life of the co-founder of Apple could be anything that really interests me. This is coming from someone who finds The Social Network to be overrated, so no one should be surprised by that statement. This movie came out in 2015 and stars Michael Fassbender in the titular role, as well as Kate Winslet, Seth Rogen (omg Megan nominated a movie with Seth Rogen in it, gooped), Jeff Daniels, Katherine Waterston, and others. It focuses on Jobs' life between 1984 and 1998, 8 years after Apple was founded through the introduction of the iMac. Probably a pretty interesting time to cover his life, if the history of the company is of interest to you. The film did break even, scoring $34m against its $30m budget. It received some awards attention, with both Fassbender and Winslet earning their respective acting nominations at the Academy Awards. Anyways, out this movie goes. Sorry to any fans!

Saving: The Hateful Eight

The Greatest Showman

My interest on musical is as limited as my ability to stay awake through The Shape of Water (and I’m also assuming ASIB has more fans and leaving it alone), so time for this movie to go. Released in 2017 and directed by Michael Gracey, it tells the story of P. T. Barnum's creation of Barnum's American Museum. The movie stars Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson, and Zendaya. While reception was mixed, the soundtrack had a pretty long shelf life (unfortunately for me who had to see it migrate to streaming). Anyway, one down, more to go!

Save: Birdman

Edited by NGM