Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

THE GRINCH (2018)

giphy.gif

I love the story of the Grinch, but nothing will top the original 1966 television special. This one came out in 2018 and for some reason I have no memory of this being a thing? I always thought the most recent Grinch movie was the one with Jim Carrey :haha: This version is fully animated, is narrated by Pharrell Williams, and stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Rashida Jones, Kenan Thompson, and Angela Lansbury among others. Uhhh what else can I say about this. It grossed over $500 million which is quite successful against its $75 million budget. It received a 59% on Rotten Tomatoes. A very middling score. Out it goes!

Saving: Kung Fu Panda 3

Edited by #jeah

DESPICABLE ME 3

81FS0WySlfL._SY550_.jpg

I haven't watched Despicable Me 3, but a 58% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes tells me that this should be a fair cut to make. According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Despicable Me 3 should keep fans of the franchise consistently entertained with another round of colorful animation and zany -- albeit somewhat scattershot -- humor." Hmm. It seems like the critics liked the film better than the rating suggests. Anyway, in this third entry of the Despicable Me films Gru searches for his long-lost brother Dru. Together, the two brothers team up to take down a new villain by the name of Balthazar Bratt. Steve Carell voices both Gru and Dru, and I'm sure his performance helped make this an enjoyable film for all the kids watching. The Despicable Me and Minions films have been very successful, but these movies are just not for me. I did see the first film and thought it was good, but it's not one I would seek out to watch again. But kudos on all the success and popularity this franchise has achieved (people seem to really love the Minions especially). But the only familiarity I had of Despicable Me 3 before today was this song "Yo Contigo, Tú Conmigo" with Álvaro Soler and Morat. :music: 

This was included for the Spanish version of the film. It's a catchy song and worth listening to. Anyway, sorry to Despicable Me 3 and its fans, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I'm saving Dumbo.

ZestyAdoredAmericanwarmblood-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Steven_

Cars 2 (2011 dir. by John Lasseter)

806e1846365ca8b2-gifs-cars2-tumblr.gif

I love how universally disliked the Cars franchise is not only on IDF, but everywhere. LOL. Maybe Walt Disney + Pixar Animations should reconsider characterizing automobiles. Period. In this sequel, Lightning McQueen + Mater travel to Japan and Europe to compete in the World Grand Prix. Mater somehow ends up involved in international espionage. What a stupid plot. Mater takes on the more prominent role in this film, which means nothing because this movie was always meant to be bad.

Most of the ensemble cast from the first film return for this sequel, but are also joined by the likes of Michael Cain, Emily Mortimer, John Turturro, Eddie Izzard, Thomas Kretschmann, Joe Mantegna, Bruce Campbell, and more. But who cares because this is a film about talking cars. 

The film features five original songs from Weezer, Brad Paisely, Robbie Williams, Bénabar, and Perfume. This is just a random fact to help me fluff up this write-up since I do not care to dive into the details and full plot of this bad movie.

The critical response to this movie was pretty negative. This is the only Cars film that did not receive an Oscar nomination! Cars 2 is actually noted as being the first negatively received Pixar  film, so why a third film was made is beyond me....oh wait, money. In all fairness, many people believe Cars to be the first failure of Pixar, but Cars 2 is so much worse that I think a debate could be had about which film really dented the unprecedented run of critical acclaim experience by the studio. Though visually appealing, the movie was faulted for its poor storyline, charmless spirit, and annoying character Mater. The film is also heavily criticized for lacking substance, which led many people to believe that Walt Disney pressured Pixar to release this sequel for monetary purposes. Director John Lasseter fired back and claimed that this movie was not an attempt to cash-in on merchandising sales, but we all know that is a lie. Credible reports stated that the morale at Pixar was lowered significantly by Cars 2. This is reason enough to eliminate the film.

SAVING: Puss in Boots

Boss Baby

The_Boss_Baby_poster.jpg

I don't like this movie at all, but most of my dislike from the terrible memes that come from it. So thanks Anne for the chance to get rid of it. I'm not even gonna put thought into it, so terrible recap is the best you get. It's an animated movie by DreamWorks, and has a plot that's dumb as f*ck. We follow a kid and a baby with a giant head (tbh the base standard for animation for years has been the younger you are the bigger your head is), where the baby is also a secret agent in a secret war between babies and puppies. We, collectively, are team puppies. Sorry if you missed the memo, I'm just letting you know. A committee was made, debates happened, votes were cast. Puppies won. The execution of the movie is also just lazy, shame this did well enough to warrant a sequel? (which should come out next year). At least it lost big to Coco ❤️

Save: Sing