Disney Characters Rankdown

Steven_

3 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

As penance I vow to watch Spirited Away before next weekend. Based on everything I’ve seen and heard about the movie I’m very much looking forward to it.

Does anyone have any recommendation for dub vs. sub? Is that a thing?

The dub is good. I’ve watched both and they are fine either way. The Ghibli movies all have really good dubs (as most were done by Disney who did put effort into them). 

• Like 1

Chihiro Ogino

Studio Ghibli GIF by Spirited Away - Find & Share on GIPHY

A viagem de chihiro GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

chihiro GIFs - Primo GIF - Latest Animated GIFs

From the movie Spirited Away (2001)

Chihiro, dressed in bathhouse work clothes is standing in front of an image containing a group of pigs and the city behind her. Text below reveal the title and film credits, with the tagline to Chihiro's right.

Voiced by Rumi Hiiragi in Japan

Rumi Hiiragi | Profile & Filmography | Fried Plantains

Voiced by Daveigh Chase in English

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daveigh_Chase

Daveigh has played roles such as Samantha Darko in Donnie Darko, Samara Morgan in The Ring,

and, more relevant to us here, Lilo in Lilo & StitchLilo Pelekai | Disney characters, Cute disney characters, Lilo

Daveigh Chase | Disney Wiki | Fandom

Spirited Away is one of the most critically acclaimed films ever made, and possibly the most critically acclaimed animated film ever made. Best Animated Feature at the Oscars (only non-English language film to ever win that category). 4th best movie of the 21st century per a list by the BBC in 2016. 97% Rotten Tomatoes. 4 stars from my homie, Roger Ebert. Best Film at the Blue Ribbon Awards. Best Film at the Japanese Academy Awards. Golden Bear recipient at Berlin International Film Festival. Highest grossing film in Japan (beating Titanic). Best Asian Film at Hong Kong Film Awards. A million Tokyo Anime Awards. I could go on. 

Spirited Away was animated by Studio Ghibli, which is basically the Beyonce of animation studios. Everything they put out is a serve. They are a Japanese studio, in case you couldn't figure that out. So why is this movie in this rankdown? Walt Disney Studios obtained rights to distribute Studio Ghibli films in 1996. However, GKIDS then got the rights for theatrical distribution in North American in 2011. GKIDS then got the rights for home video distribution in North America in 2017. Disney still distributes Ghibli stuff in France, Taiwan, and on home video in Japan.

So this movie came out in 2001. That means Disney distributed it theatrically at the time, and on home video in America until 2017. Disney asked our friend and Pixar director John Lasseter to supervise the English translation. It seems they did a really good job, as we can expect when Disney and Pixar care about something. We appreciate the care and respect Disney and Pixar put into making this film successful. For me, though, that is not enough to consider the Ghibli characters as Disney characters on the same level as all the others. Disney didn't produce the original. You can't find these movies on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films or on Disney+. Disney is a massive company that owns and produced and distributes all kinds of different films/shows/franchises. The Skywalkers are not in this game, the Avengers are not in this game, the Simpsons are not in this game, etc. 

Chihiro would probably make a worthy winner of a Ghibli character rankdown (and probably be competitive for an anime character rankdown) where she would rightfully be up against Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, Arrietty, Princess Kaguya, Howl & Sophie, Seita & Setsuko, and all our other Ghibli friends. Chihiro placed a generous Top 36 in this game, and is the runner-up for our wildcard characters, only losing to Mary Poppins. I think that's a fair placement, and smarter people than me may disagree. 

Chihiro is the main character of the movie. She is a 10 year old girl who moves to a new neighborhood with her family, but they stumble upon a spirit world. Her parents become incapacitated and Chihiro gets a job working in the spirit world to try to help her and her parents escape back to the real world. Or something. Like Alex, I'm refraining from digging too deep into the plot in order to spare myself from spoilers. I have watched almost all of the 58 Walt Disney Animation Studios films so far during this rankdown, and I am committing to watching Spirited Away within the week. Just yesterday, I read a comment on Reddit that was like "I wish I could erase my memory and watch Spirited Away for the first time again." Well, random redditor, I get to live your dream this week and I'm looking forward to it.

Saved: Mary Poppins and Jack Skellington

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

The dub is good. I’ve watched both and they are fine either way. The Ghibli movies all have really good dubs (as most were done by Disney who did put effort into them). 

Bong Joon-ho didn’t drag you all for filth for you to go back to dubbed movies

59 minutes ago, NGM said:

Bong Joon-ho didn’t drag you all for filth for you to go back to dubbed movies

I said they are both good! I typically prefer to watch Subbed movies but Ghibli does a really good job with dubs. 

Also for live action movies I only watched subs. 

9 hours ago, Steven_ said:

I’ll reveal the next step once all the write-ups are posted.

I changed my mind. I'm going to post the details of this now to keep the rankdown moving. :lolwave:

It has to deal with Victoria's secret advantage, so stay tuned!

3 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

an anime character rankdown

This could be fun!

36 minutes ago, miss denise said:

@Steven_ The Lock, Shock, and Barrel write-up links to the wrong post. flowers.gif.88febd8c79b40bff5e0389e501fcb08a.gif

Thanks for letting me know! :thumbs: 

FINAL BATTLE TWIST

uGnRL28.gif

As the winner of the final music challenge, Victoria won a secret advantage. The details have been kept secret, but this was the clue:

tenor.gif?itemid=15559552

For this penultimate round before final cuts, Victoria will have two battles to post here on the thread. One is a battle to eliminate; the other is a battle to save.

SWORD BATTLE

Victoria will nominate two characters for elimination. The other rankers will VOTE TO ELIMINATE between the two characters. The character with the most votes will be eliminated from the rankdown.

SHIELD BATTLE

Victoria will nominate two characters for safety. The other rankers will VOTE TO ADVANCE one of these characters. The character with the most votes will advance straight to the final rankings.

If there is a tie, then Victoria's decision will be the tiebreaker.

This is the last round before the final cuts. After this round, each ranker will each eliminate a character of his or her choice before we our left with our TOP 25

@1234567890 has 24 hours to post her battles.

Good luck!

James P “Sulley” Sullivan

monsters inc mine disney GIF

Sorry guys, I wasn’t online like at all yesterday. Baby was absolutely clingy and miserable all day long (I think the teething process has begun). Anyways, I spent all day cuddled on the couch with a screaming 6 month old (which don’t get me wrong was actually quite nice, but not conducive to me accomplishing anything on my to do list, least of all rankdown write ups). To make things a little more productive, we did watch Monsters Inc during this time to at least help with my writeup. It’s been a decent amount of time since I’ve seen the original movie (I actually watched Monsters University when the rankdown started, but for this one I was mostly going off of memory. After a rewatch I do think I prefer Sulley to Mike, but alas, what’s done is done. Either way, both made it quite far and we really are down to the wire here.

James P Sullivan (or “Sulley”) is a large blue monster who works as a scarer at Monsters Inc. He’s not just a scarer, he’s THE top scarer. He receives lots of praise from his boss Mr. Waternoose, and is featured in a lot of the promotions for the company. He has a rivalry with Randall Boggs who is unsuccessfully trying to unseat him as the lead scarer. Sulley is a company man, who just wants to help with the energy crises stemming from not enough screams from children. One day, Sulley winds up encountering a human child who found her way into the factory. Naturally he’s terrified, under the assumption that all children are toxic. Very quickly, he begins to bond with the girl and has a desire to keep her safe. Discovering that Randall is her monster, he recognizes him as the biggest threat to her and tries to keep her away from him (and the CDA) by disguising her as a baby monster. He’s right, in that Randall is trying to come up with a machine that will forcibly extract screams from children to end the energy crisis. He also discovers that Waternoose is in on the plan, and then winds up being exiled to the Himalayas. While there, Sulley is saddened by the fact that watching him in action terrified Boo. He wants nothing more than to repair their relationship and save her, which frustrates Mike who just wants things back the way they were. Not caring if he’s alone in his quest, Sulley returns and confronts Randall. He and Mike repair their friendship and are able to defeat the bad guys, sending Randall to the human world and exposing Waternoose to the CDA (where we get the awesome Roz reveal!). Unfortunately, with everything back to normal, Sulley has to say goodbye to Boo as she heads back to the human world. Though he is crushed Sulley takes over as the head of the company and comes up with the great idea of utilizing laughter instead of screams, which is a huge success. The movie ends with Boo’s door being restored, allowing the pair to be reunited.