Disney Characters Rankdown

Steven_

giphy.gif

Mrs. Potts

Ah a little sad to see Mrs. Potts go, but we are down to the heavy hitters (also I thought she may stand a chance of outlasting the two villains I nominated but ALAS I was wrong). As I mentioned in my Gaston write-up, my junior year in High School my school did Beauty and the Beast and it was a TIME. Gotta say. Theater is wild when you are stage crew because you hate just about everybody. Anyway, Mrs. Potts is like the character that needs the best voice because they have the title song and one of my good friends got the role and she was as wonderful as a senior in high school doing high school theater can be. 

Anyway, Mrs. Potts in the animated movie is voiced by the INCOMPARABLE Dame Angela Lansbury. Angela Lansbury considered taking the role as a gift to her three grandchildren. And originally she wasn't sure that she was the proper choice because her voice wasn't as good as it used to be. But Ashman and Menken were like "Please Angela. Just this one take." AND SHE NAILED IT. One take. All it took. And it won an Academy Award. And this could be literally the only thing in the write-up and encompass everything that makes Mrs. Potts wonderful. 

I think having such a familiar voice, especially such a familiar singing voice, really helps bring all the character you need to Mrs. Potts. While I'm not huge on celebrity voice actors, this kind of predates that and Angela Lansbury is the perfect choice to bring the warmth and motherliness to Mrs. Potts. In the live action movie she's portrayed by Emma Thompson who is good but not at the same level of legendary as Angela Lansbury. 

Anyway, as we get down to essentially just having main characters left, it's hard for Mrs. Potts to make it any further. I love this little teapot though. 

Jafar

A57B.gif

Jafar is one of the classic Disney villains and specifically is the main antagonist in the movie Aladdin. He is considered the Sultan's most trusted and loyal advisor, when he actually hates him and seeks grand ownership of a magic lamp containing an all-powerful genie. He plans to gain control of cosmic power through Genie, and then overtake the throne to be in charge of the entire world. There are no small dreams for Jafar. He has his sights set as high as possible. Jafar is a sinister, dark, power-hungry, and manipulative man. He causes a lot of trouble throughout the movie, but he most notably takes Aladdin to the Cave of Wonders to receive the lamp. This sets in motion most of the film's action and adventure, as they discover Genie, and Aladdin gets to make his three wishes after Abu ensures he gets the lamp and not Jafar. But Jafar does more than try to trick and kill Aladdin, because he orders Sultan to let him marry Princess Jasmine, so that he can then dispose of her and have all the power. Jafar is not short on back-up plans. Technically, it was Iago's idea, but regardless, I think it's time for us to listen to "Speechless" again. ❤️  Jafar then attempts to hypnotize the Sultan to get his ways and again plots to have Aladdin killed.  Everything comes to a head when Jafar gets his hands on the lamp and demands his three wishes. He first wishes to rule on high like a sultan, and then to be the most powerful sorceror in the world. However, the joke's on him, because for Jafar's grand finale, his third wish is to become the all-powerful genie, which forces him into the lamp. This undoes his magic over Agrabah and its people. Jafar is sent to the Cave of Wonders in his lamp for at least 10,000 years.  But we all know Jafar will be back because there is the sequel, The Return of Jafar. He does not appear in Aladdin and the King of Thieves, but maybe now that he's done taking part in the rankdown, he can go star in another sequel. We shall see. Anyway, Jafar outlasted Aladdin himself, so that is quite big news for him, but he won't be so lucky to outlast Princess Jasmine or Genie.

The rankers saved:

bBYYaTZ.gif I8UvIEM.gif