A black woman never will win The Voice v.2

eidi

After last night performances that Rose nailed most of them (except maybe for her duet that Gwen dragged her down), and her odds to make only 4th place unfortunately, I am asking again in this thread: a black woman never will win The Voice?

I still have hope that this day will come once there is this kind of combo: 1) a black female teenager; 2) singing country; 3) on Team Blake and 4) receiving pimp treatment since day one.

Edited by eidi

Considering Amanda Brown and Kimberly Nichole placed sixth, that should've been the sign right there that a black female could demolish everyone else their season and not be appreciated by the voters. It's only gotten worse as the fanbase has dwindled to basically country fans.

Also it's noteworthy that TPTB attempted to bus Kyla Jade on S14 but yesterday with a pimp spot tried to boost Rose's votes. They are very unpredictable.

Considering Amanda Brown and Kimberly Nichole placed sixth, that should've been the sign right there that a black female could demolish everyone else their season and not be appreciated by the voters. It's only gotten worse as the fanbase has dwindled to basically country fans.

You're right! Both of them were far from being "screamer divas" like people usually label them, and still...

Also it's noteworthy that TPTB attempted to bus Kyla Jade on S14 but yesterday with a pimp spot tried to boost Rose's votes. They are very unpredictable.

You're right! Both of them were far from being "screamer divas" like people usually label them, and still...

I actually think it was very predictable. They knew she had no chance of winning...but just giving the appearance that they were trying to help her might take some of the heat off when she inevitably finishes 4th.

They bussed Kyla because Chloe had just won and if Blake won S14, he'd have eight wins in fourteen seasons. On the flip side, this is the first season Gwen's been on in years and she's never won. :haha:

Yes, I agree with you, but it's bad that Blake didn't win that season with a deserving winner and instead we got... Brynn :|

I know country acts tend to win these kind of singing competitions since AI because of the audience, but AI had three black female winners also (Fantasia, Jordin Sparks and Candice Glover). Why this changed?

And if you tell me that the audience changed throughout the years, why La'Porsha placed as a runner-up, since she was on a recent AI season?

Edited by eidi

I actually think it was very predictable. They knew she had no chance of winning...but just giving the appearance that they were trying to help her might take some of the heat off when she inevitably finishes 4th.

Maybe they were trying to help Rose to give Gwen her first victory, since she will be out of the show, and ALSO because of Gabrielle Union's controversy?

Maybe they were trying to help Rose to give Gwen her first victory, since she will be out of the show, and ALSO because of Gabrielle Union's controversy?

I do think the whole AGT thing could have played a role in Rose's pimping last night...idk.

Again tho...I def think it was just for appearances. Nothing was going to give Rose/Gwen the win and they knew that.

They gave Rose the pimp spot because she had the showstopper. They always end the show with a solo cover. Given the 4 choices they had, it was either Rose or Katie, as the other 2 were too dull to be closers. And who wants to close with the Asteroid song?

There’s not always going to be a 1:1 correspondence between what they do to make the TV show and what the voting patterns reflect.

If I have a black woman as a snowflake I just hope they make the finale :haha:

This. I'm done being unrealistic lol I've lost too many snowflakes before the finale (most of them are black females) so I'm thrilled and fine with them getting to the finale, Rose did amazing last night and there's nothing that can deny it.

This. I'm done being unrealistic lol I've lost too many snowflakes before the finale (most of them are black females) so I'm thrilled and fine with them getting to the finale, Rose did amazing last night and there's nothing that can deny it.

Yes, looking on a bright side she ended up having more performances (counting her IS) than any other finalist.

I was in denial all the way up to Kennedy finishing 4th. That convinced me. Black females have no shot. I'm not sure how much is racial bias and how much is musical preference of the audience demographic but I'm very sure it's some combination of both. Regardless, it often produces poor outcomes.

:yes: having the most performances possible is good enough imo.

of course i'd like them to win but once it gets to the point where it's not possible then it doesn't matter to me.

The pimp spot is not some huge advantage at this stage. They all performed three times and in the last hour as well. It's not like someone was stuck at the beginning of the show never to be heard from again. The pimp spot in the finale is hardly some push. It's very clear that Rose is way behind so they would've hsd to do a lot mlre than just give her a pimp spot. Like someone said, her cover just fit the pimp spot the best. The bare minimum is seen as pimping :ph34rwave:

I know country acts tend to win these kind of singing competitions since AI because of the audience, but AI had three black female winners also (Fantasia, Jordin Sparks and Candice Glover). Why this changed?

And if you tell me that the audience changed throughout the years, why La'Porsha placed as a runner-up, since she was on a recent AI season?

The simplest reasons are that Fox and NBC had much different viewing demographics, two of those three winners happened years before The Voice started, and the two shows had different voting methods as well. The Voice also has four people in their finale, compared to Idol, which up until its move to ABC only ever had two people in the finale. (But also demostrates my point that since its move to ABC, the only black female to make the live vote only advanced once on America's vote.) This is important to remember because a two-person finale also gives you the chance to "vote against" somebody, in a sense. Also, Idol typically only eliminates one person a week with some minor exceptions. The Voice eliminates multiple people every week, so while someone could land in the B2 on Idol and still do well, if they land in the B2 on The Voice, there are several instances where they would've automatically been eliminated as result. That's notable considering of the four people you mentioned on Idol, only Jordin made it to her finale without ever landing in the bottom two.

They gave Rose the pimp spot because she had the showstopper. They always end the show with a solo cover. Given the 4 choices they had, it was either Rose or Katie, as the other 2 were too dull to be closers. And who wants to close with the Asteroid song?

There’s not always going to be a 1:1 correspondence between what they do to make the TV show and what the voting patterns reflect.

THIS. Director's production vision 1st, competition outcome 2nd.

I was in denial all the way up to Kennedy finishing 4th. That convinced me. Black females have no shot. I'm not sure how much is racial bias and how much is musical preference of the audience demographic but I'm very sure it's some combination of both. Regardless, it often produces poor outcomes.

I'm not sure if this is musical preference because we had so many black women singing different genres (for example Amanda and Kimberly with rock, Kennedy with pop, Spensha with country and even Christiana with indie) and they didn't win still.

So it comes down to the other factor...

The simplest reasons are that Fox and NBC had much different viewing demographics, two of those three winners happened years before The Voice started, and the two shows had different voting methods as well. The Voice also has four people in their finale, compared to Idol, which up until its move to ABC only ever had two people in the finale. (But also demostrates my point that since its move to ABC, the only black female to make the live vote only advanced once on America's vote.) This is important to remember because a two-person finale also gives you the chance to "vote against" somebody, in a sense. Also, Idol typically only eliminates one person a week with some minor exceptions. The Voice eliminates multiple people every week, so while someone could land in the B2 on Idol and still do well, if they land in the B2 on The Voice, there are several instances where they would've automatically been eliminated as result. That's notable considering of the four people you mentioned on Idol, only Jordin made it to her finale without ever landing in the bottom two.

Good point, but I'm not US resident, so could you please explain to me the main differences between Fox and NBD viewing demographics?

Edited by eidi

Agree with all of this.

Why? Two words: BLAKE SHELTON. Imagine if Adam had won the personality battle with Blake, i.e. America's favorite coach. I think the eventual demographic lean would have turned out a bit different. Look at the current iteration of Idol (the BLAKE affect, I believe, extends to that show too, but of course to a lesser degree, e.g. notice how it's now almost mandatory to have a country coach/judge on the panel, whereas the original AI never bothered to have one), and consider how the judges' personalities and force of will/celebrity power shape that show differently from The Voice. Imagine if a personality like Diddy, with all the clout he wields, had been on the panel of The Voice from Day 1 instead of Cee Lo.

Why? Two words: BLAKE SHELTON. Imagine if Adam had won the personality battle with Blake, i.e. America's favorite coach. I think the eventual demographic lean would have turned out a bit different. Look at the current iteration of Idol (the BLAKE affect, I believe, extends to that show too, but of course to a lesser degree, e.g. notice how it's now almost mandatory to have a country coach/judge on the panel, whereas the original AI never bothered to have one), and consider how the judges' personalities and force of will/celebrity power shape that show differently from The Voice. Imagine if a personality like Diddy, with all the clout he wields, had been on the panel of The Voice from Day 1 instead of Cee Lo.

Even with Blake Shelton's support, Spensha, Sisaundra and other black women on his team didn't manage to win.

A black woman is not winning because they never do what they really need to win the show. Season after season we see the same divas, singing the same kind of old songs, slaying vocally as usual, but ultimately proving that they have no place in the market. The moment one of them step up on stage for the Blinds, you know they're gonna sing an Aretha song, probably a Whitney song at some point too, the usual stuff. They just never really do much to break the mold and free themselves from the pre-conceptions the public is gonna have of them, even though they always have the same fate, season after season.

Like, I'm sorry, Rose is not gonna do anything with a song choice like Border Song, let's be real. She's a fantastic vocalist, and should have more of a shot if the contest was really about the voice, but it's not and we all know it. Maybe pick a current Beyoncé or Rihanna song that can show she has some place in the market (lol) instead of an Elton John song from 1970. I used to be bothered by America not saving those kinds of singer, but I can't really blame them for not doing it anymore, not even I can be impressed by them after 15 seasons anymore. The only one I genuinely felt was robbed was Kimberly Nichole (Amanda is a different case because she peaked too early, it wasn't because she was black), who was constantly raising the bar and doing something different and better week after week, from ballads to uptempo. She was a complete vocalist and artist, and someone that was truly robbed because of how she looked like and how she performed.

So yeah, if singers like Rose want to have any kind of shot they have to dance to America's tune, otherwise none of them will stand a chance and will only be able to get to a certain point. Can't say they're really robbed anymore :ph34rwave:

Edited by Weirdoo

So yeah, if singers like Rose want to have any kind of shot they have to dance to America's tune, otherwise none of them will stand a chance and will only be able to get to a certain point. Can't say they're really robbed anymore :ph34rwave:

You never see white singers lifting a finger to appeal to black audiences. If Jake wins tonight, tell me one time he made an effort to appeal to a black audience. And yet if black female singers want to win, they have to pander to a white audience. Be less of themselves. There is a name to this.

• Like 1