Television Shows Rankdown

Steven_

Moesha

moesha2.jpg

giphy.gif

Oooh I feel I have had quite a journey with protecting and getting Moesha this far in the game. Regarding my journey with this show in the game, it’s definitely among one of my favorite childhood shows in the 90s. I tried protecting this show with safety requests from various rankers - so thank you to those that honored those requests for me (and especially Chris for saving it for me that one round where i nearly sacrificed Moesha when I really wasn't ready to yet - when I had tons of faves up). ❤️ Then I had another rough round where I made the risky decision of saving over Empire - which dooo I regret? Yeah kinda but i thought Empire stood a better chance of being saved from someone, as that show is more well known. That didn’t work out. So I tried my hardest to fight and get Moesha into the Top 95, which I did accomplish. Sadly it was up against Saturday Night Live and I really LOVE both shows - but figured it was the right time to let Moesha go as heartbreaking as it was. :broken: But I still watch and love SNL to this day where i haven’t watched Moesha in years.

For those of you that don’t know Moesha is an American sitcom/comedy that aired from 1996 through 2001, starring Brandy Norwood - you know the multi-platinum and Grammy Award winning artist, Brandy. 😘 This show helped me becoming a huge Brandy fan, alongside her music. It aired on UPN from January 23, 1996 through May 14, 2001, airing 6 seasons and 127 episodes. It’s a African American comedy series, which I love I must and will always protect, of course. 😘 In fact I think it’s the second last standing predominantly African American comedy series in this game, so I am glad to have achieved that with this show. 

Moesha did start off as your enjoyable and fun comedy type show, but don’t be fooled - it was not just that kind of show. dealt with real social issues such as teen pregnancy, drug use, race relations, pre martial sex, death of a parent (and other various issues), dark secrets that could mess things up and so many other topics. I felt the show got quite serious with these issues during its latter season. I think it would be worth checking out - even if it might be dated or now.

And last week when the show was eliminated I posted it’s iconic theme song (which Brandy sings) - and I’ll post that video again, of the various theme songs from its 6 seasons. It needs to be posted again for this write-up.

moesha-o.gif

MO TO THE, E TO THE

MO TO THE, E TO THE, MOESHA!

:bobo:

I will do a brief breakdown of some of the main characters.

giphy.gifsource.gif

Moesha Denise Mitchell (played by Brandy)

The title character, Moesha Mitchell, is a high school student that lives wit her family in Leimert Park in L.A., California. The show focuses on Moesha’s upper-middle class African American family, through her eyes and perspective. She has her family and friends and go through major ups, downs and in betweens with them. She often narrates the show - though the works and thoughts of her “diary.” Moesha tries to find her place in life and deals with many life situations from your ordinary teenager. Some words to describe Moesha would be - headstrong, intelligent, independent, stubborn and a go-getter who fights for her friends and what she believes in.

Here is video example of Moesha with her “diary” entires.

d9a37d77872debef12be4f46c0c85d00--frank-

Frank Mitchell (played by William Allen Young)

Frank is a Saturn car dealer, who is Moesha’s and Myles’ father. He is also Dorian’s father. There was a big storyline with him later on the show which was….

Frank is actually Dorian’s father. Which caused a major rift between Frank and Moesha (and rather the whole family), with her moving out of the family house.

c0d49247f9a0ff0343dae26c3b904791.jpg tumblr_nlkpjsgPVt1qhyi8do1_400.gifv

Deirdre “Dee” Mitchell (played by Sheryl Lee Ralph

The amazing Sheryl Lee Ralph portrays the role of Dee. If you don’t know her…. tenor.gif.  😘 Dee is Frank’s wife and the stepmother to Moesha an Miles, and is also a high school principal at Moesha’s school. Dee is originally Jamaican and would bust out to a Jamaican accent at random times.

Myles Mitchell (played by Marcus T. Paulk)

iNU8r-OdbYZ3kz7Y7qqs4sAzPWju20J2vZqXBM2I

Myles is Moesha’s adorable but annoying younger brother. He’s known for being a silly practical joker and for embarrassing his sister amongst her friends. You know, the typical younger brother type. :haha:

source.gifgiphy.gif

Kimberly “Kim” Parker (played by Countess Vaughn)

Kim is Moesha’s best friend, who is very boy crazy and as a major crush on Hakeem, despite him never feeling that same way. Kim is known for being fun loving and hilarious - and def amongst my favorite characters. :giggle: Kim’s character was so popular that she has a spin-off series of her own, The Parkers, which is another show I really love, protected and fought hard for to get into the Top 180’ish portion of the game.

tumblr_lrffr2vST11qilxguo2_250.gifc3a424921dcaf587304b08be1e9cd3a7.jpg

Hakeem Campbell (played by Lamont Bentley)

Hakeem is one of Moesha’s best friends (alongside her other friends Kim and Niecy). He’s known for always coming in an visiting the Mitchell’s family household - often times coming in uninvited as if he lives there. I’m sure you can all think of that character like that in other various comedies. :lmao: I mentioned above about how Kim is more into Hakeem than he is into her which you can also see in the above gif. But yeah Hakeem is fun and hilarious.

Of course with the boy and girls best friends dynamic, they would eventually become boyfriend and girlfriend - which is what happened at some point with Hakeem and Moesha.

Oh and sad news but Lamont is one of the two main characters that have died since this show finished, where he died in 2005. :( I’ll get to the other one shortly.

tenor.gifgiphy.gif

Denise “Niecy” Jackson (played by Shar Jackson)

Niecy is another one of Moesha’s best friend and would eventually become her roommate in the college years. She’s another hilarious and fun character.

168202bb4b103226bc571f53d1fa834f.gif

Andell Wilerskon (played by Yvette Wilson)

Andell is the owner of The Den which is the neighborhood hangout spot that all the teens and young adults spend their time at, and is an essential part of the show. Andell is a fun hilarious ~background esque character. She was on the show for 5 seasons before heading off to The Parkers, where she was Nikki’s (Mo’Nique) best friend. Yvette is the other character on Moesha that died after the show. :(

rs_240x180-160122114500-Moesha_-_Hakeem_

Quinton “Q” Brooks (played by Fredro Starr)

Quinton, know as Q, is known as the hip-hop bad boy type to Moesha’s good girl and is her longest running love intreat on the show - where they have this on again of again type relationship. Q is from New York and manages a hip-hop group. His constant traveling is what causes their relationship to fracture often times.

Towards the end of the series, Q proposes to Moesha where she accepts it but the engagement gets called off due to him selling Moesha’s ring to manage his hip-hop group’s career. I completely forgot about that but man that is salty.

2924188feb7e16f19_w.jpg

Dorian Long (played by Ray J)

Lol yess you guessed it - Brandy’s real life brother, Ray J iso on the show and he was on the show for the show’s last two seasons. Dorian is Moesha’s and Myles’ cousin. Dorian runs away from his mother’s home to live with the Mitchells. Dorian is known for being a bit of a troublemaker and a silly guy, who the Mitchells would often have to set him straight.

Although from the spoiler i revealed in Frank’s write-up, Dorian turns out to be Frank’s son - Moesha’s and Myles’ actual long lost brother.

Moesha has had it’s fair share of great (some of my biggest faves) celeb guest stars…. so let’s take a look at them.

giphy.gif

Lil’ Kim

source.gif

Usher

dc5b00f5762e270c3d5e4fc414715a55.jpg

Gabrielle Union

giphy.gif

Andrew Keegan

I’m sure there’s more but I posted enough here. Okayy sooo I tried my best to describe what Moesha is about without getting too spoiler or too specific into storylines. I haven’t watched Moesha in years but it doesn’t take away from the fact that I absolutely love this show and was obsessed with it. I will close this out with a short video from the pilot episode. And if you’re interested in more, feel free to Youtube clips of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Great write-up on Moesha, Wally! Thanks for the shout out :giggle:. Congrats on on bringing it this far - this is a good spot for it considering it's primarily a 90's show ❤️ :hug:

Thank you, Chris! ❤️  And yeah you were a big part in helping me get Moesha so far, which I do greatly appreciate. :haha: 

Yeah I was conflicted and went through many moments of thinking to sacrifice Moesha since it's more of a 90s show, so would save my 2000s/2010s shows over it. Ultimately I did that when it came to that vs. SNL. 

7 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Not Wally putting a spoiler warning on something that's 20 years old. :dead: 

LOL. :dead: I did so in case people who never watched it want to see the show. :lmao: 

• Like 1

ELLIOTT'S HAPPY ENDINGS TRIBUTE POST - SEASON 3 + BEYOND

happy endings GIF

The third season of Happy Endings is probably my least favourite of the three seasons, but it's still really enjoyable. The show embraced its meta side more than ever, with frequent quips that grazed the fourth wall and jokes about sitcom tropes they relied on. It was also treated horribly by ABC, frequently being shuffled around on the schedule (sometimes the day of!) and receiving a bare minimum of advertising. It was ultimately cancelled alongside Don't Trust the B— in Apartment 23, which was a truly horrible decision on ABC part. But let's get to the episodes!

3x01. CASZH DUMMY SPILLIONAIRES - After Dave and Alex announce they've starting dating again, their group of friends are all Phoebe_ThisIsBrandNewInformation.gif because they saw it coming all summer. Elsewhere, Penny lands herself in a body cast after deciding her relationship with the guy she met in S2's finale wasn't worth it. (He didn't abuse her, she just decided she didn't want to extreme Plank and fell down an entire building's worth of stairs.) When Max grows attracted to her physical therapist, he begins "Misery-ing" her to grow closer to him. Dave & Alex are convinced their relationship is casual and try to let the other go on dates to prove it, only to realize they don't want to be casual and want to be serious again.

3x02. SABADO FREE-GANTE - Dave and Alex are moving in together. Their realtor is trying to help them find a condo in Chicago, but quickly realizes Dave & Alex have some unresolved feelings they need to discuss before committing to moving in together. Elsewhere, Penny is shopping for a new car, and Jane tags along so she can be aggressively helpful. An unemployed Brad struggles with what to do on his off day, leading to professional poor man Max to offer his advice.

3x03. BOYS II MENORAH - Max is a bar mitzvah hype guy! Brad joins forces with him to form the Boyz II Menorah, but tensions arise when it becomes clear the teenagers prefer Brad to Max. Dave and Alex are worried their relationship will fall into its old patterns, which leads to Jane's attempts to help them get the spark back in their love life. Two hours and a shut-down Chicago airport later, they realize they're already putting more effort into their newest relationship.

META JOKE OF THE EPISODE:

Penny and Jane are talking, while Dave and Alex are sitting on the couch.

Penny: "What are they talking about?"

Jane: "I don't know, they've got their own thing going on this week."

3x04. MORE LIKE STANKSGIVING - Max discovers the DVD for the cancelled season of The Real World that he and Brad were on that led to them becoming friends. Things get worse, however, when it's discovered Brad initially hated Jane, Jane's first hook-up with Brad was supposed to be with his roommate, and Penny had feelings for Dave because they refused to let this plot line go. Elsewhere, Dave attempts to have a traditional Native American Thanksgiving (owing to his 1/16th Navajo) completely backfire on him after he gets robbed by two tourists dressed as a Pilgrim, is forced to lose his Native American jacket to pay for food and is arrested outside of the police station for scalping tickets.

META JOKE OF THE EPISODE:

Penny: "Dave, for a leading man type, you're not very exciting to watch."

Dave: "Huh?"

Penny: "Oh, nothing."

3x05. P&P ROMANCE FACTORY - Penny is forced to wear a helmet after her doctor discovers she hits her head a lot. When she's out and about with Alex, she happens to run into Pete (played by Nick Zano 😍), and sparks fly almost immediately. But exactly how far will Penny go to conceal the fact that she has to wear a helmet? Meanwhile, Dave and Max run into an old acquaintance and it brings up troubling memories of prior fist bumps gone wrong. And in the episode's funniest plot, Jane struggles to fit in with the "boys club" at the Car Czar, and it's only after Brad bonds with their wives that Jane sees her trail.

TRIVIA: Remember how I said that Kickball 2: The Kickening was held back until midway through this season? This episode flashes back to that episode, even though it hadn't even aired yet. The creators later said it was a call-out to ABC.

ICONIC TOP TEN FUNNIEST MOMENT FROM THE ENTIRE SERIES:

3x06. TO SERB WITH LOVE - Jane & Alex's parents are celebrating the 20th anniversary of the family mattress business. Jane is due to give the toast, but struggles to find enough jokes that her matter-of-fact father would find funny. When she comes up with one, she relays it to Brad, who steals Jane's thunder in an attempt to finally impress his father-in-law. Elsewhere, Dave finds out that Alex hasn't told her family about them dating again, and decides to come to the dinner to help her break the news. Meanwhile, Max begins to feel like Penny is replacing him with Pete and grows jealous. His attempts to sabotage the relationship go nowhere until Penny ruins the relationship all on her own. Seeing how much Penny actually liked Pete, Max steps in to get them back together.

3x07. NO HO HO - The gang is shocked to discover that Jane was born on Christmas day and has been hiding her birthday this whole time. (Even Alex... who is Jane's sister?) Brad decides that Jane needs to celebrate her birthday on her actual birthday and forbids the group from doing anything Christmas related on Christmas. This results in disaster owing to Max's egg nog obsession and Alex's desire to constantly be opening presents. Dave and Penny are kicked out from the celebrations early on, which was secretly a ruse to help them plan the perfect Christmas present for Pete.

3x08. ORDINARY EXTRAORDINARY LOVE - After Alex sells a dress to a young, hot pop-star, Penny takes it as a PR opportunity and leaks details about the date to the press. This all seems to backfire when she has a meltdown in front of the paparazzi, but it winds up making Xela more successful than ever before. When Penny & Alex see the pop star again, they come to regret their decision and decide to make it right. Max begins to feel left out of gay culture and comes to realize that he doesn't fit in with any of the gay scene in Chicago, even after Jane and Derrick attempt to help him out. And in a classic sitcom trope, Brad and Dave take it upon themselves to embrace their masculinity and fix things around the house only for it to backfire tremendously.

3x09. FOWL/PLAY DATE - Alex is leaving for RomComCon and leaves Brad & Penny in charge of her racist parrot. After they break a childhood relic of Alex, they manage to glue it back together but then seemingly kill Tyler, said parrot. They have to try and cover their tracks, but it's all a moot point anyway when Alex finds Tyler's body and decides to get a bird autopsy done. Meanwhile, Dave and Jane take it upon themselves to try and find the perfect match for Max, but their options are just clones of themselves.

3x10. THE EX FACTOR - Jane's ex from college is back in town, and Brad is thrown for a loop when it's revealed to be a woman. Max gets a cool, hip new roommate named Chase (played by Mark-Paul Gosselaar) who immediately upgrades the apartment with furnishings. But when he disappears, Max, Dave and Alex are determined to figure out where he went and who he is. Elsewhere, Penny meets Pete's friends for the first time and realizes how un-normal her group of friends are.

META JOKES OF THE EPISODE: After Pete's friend spills win on herself, Penny begins to insult her - before realizing that this group of friends doesn't do pile ons. Later on in the episode, she gets text messages about what Brad/Jane are up to, compared to what Max/Dave/Alex are up to and has to decide which "storyline" she wants to follow.

3x11. THE MERRY PRANKSTER - After they make Max think he's won the lottery, Max vows revenge on all of his friends. After his prank on Brad, Brad decides he's done with unemployment life and joins a childcare facility. Alex decides to join forces with Max to keep herself from being pranked, and Max's prank on Penny has disastrous results when she realizes that Pete was going to propose to her amidst all of this.

happy endings stripper GIF

3x12. OUR BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING - Penny is shocked and appalled when she discovers that Pete wants to elope rather than having a big wedding. Jane, who has taken it upon herself to be Penny & Pete's wedding planner, decides to buy everyone passes to the wedding expo that's in town. Dave & Alex have to deal with unfinished issues centring around their wedding, while Brad & Max have to pretend to be a couple to get in.

3x13. IN THE HEAT OF THE NOCHE - When Brad finds out that his current place of employment, Chuckles & Huggs, is closing, Brad takes inspiration from his 23rd favourite movie of all time (Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit) and has his friends step in to drive up business and attendance. Dave puts his guitar skills to use, Alex teaches them how to make jewelry and Jane has to figure out what she can bond with the children over. Meanwhile, Penny and Max begin to worry they're texting their men too much and try to take back to the power in their relationship by abusing NocheTussin, a black market cough medicine from South America. As their tolerance builds up, Max and Penny begin to drink more and more of the NocheTussin.

happy endings hangover GIF

3x14. THE INCIDENT - Max's hairdresser is no more, so he visits Jane & Alex's hairdresser KrisJahn (played by RuPaul) who spills the T on the Kerkovich sisters. Being the messy gay that he is, Max spills all of Jane and Alex's gossip to the other, which could be detrimental to the survival of Chicago. Meanwhile, Penny borrows Dave's food truck and causes it to get stolen.

META JOKE OF THE EPISODE: While looking up solutions for how to solve Alex & Jane's fight, Max & Brad discover a series of newspaper articles about their previous fights. Max more-or-less quips, "Is it weird that a major newspaper made so many articles on two sisters?"

3x15. THE STRAIGHT DOPE - Max pretends to be straight in order to impress a girl who has free Chicago Bulls tickets. Brad & Penny attempt to step in and stop it, but Brad falls under the spell when he learns that she actually has two tickets. Meanwhile, Alex is tired of being the "dumb" friend of the group and begins to educate herself, but it serves only to throw off the group dynamic.

TRIVIA: The girl who Max pretends to be dating in this episode is played by Abby Elliott. She is currently playing the wife of Adam Pally (who plays Max)'s character on the new Fran Drescher show, Indebted. I wish it was better than it was.

3x16. BROS BEFORE BROS - While planning for her wedding, Penny reaches out to her estranged father, Roy (played by Andy Richter). He begins to overcompensate by offering to pay for any and all wedding expenses, causing a rift in their newfound connection. Meanwhile, Dave seeks help sabotaging a rival food truck and Alex & Max offer their services. All is going well, until Max falls for the son of the rival food truck. In classic West Side Story fashion, a food fight breaks out that ends with Dave and his rival settling their differences, and Penny re-reacquanting herself with her father. When she discovers the real reason he left her mother all those years ago, her entire life makes sense.

META JOKE OF THE EPISODE: After Penny says her dad left to try and make it as an actor, Jane looks at the camera and says, "Actors are the worst. Amirite?"

3x17. SHE GOT GAME (NIGHT) - After Penny begins to question if she and Pete being engaged after just four months of being together is weird, Jane takes it upon herself to host a couples game night with the four of them, and Dave & Alex. After Dave begins to struggle with taking a new job at the restaurant or keeping his current job on his food truck, he goes to psychic after psychic, much to Alex's annoyance. With two slots open, Max and his friend Scotty step in to fill their spots at Game Night. It's there that Penny realizes that she doesn't want to actually spend the rest of her life with Pete, and she calls off the engagement.

3x18. THE STORM BEFORE THE CALM - Penny insists that she's handling her break-up with Pete just fine, but her friends' doubts are confirmed when she writes a play entitled Black Plague: A Love Story, in which lead character Clete gets his heart ripped out by a plague. Everyone's attempts at helping her cope are shot down until Penny falls apart on stage during a performance of the play, and Brad steps in to help her come to grips with her feelings.

3x19. THE BALLAD OF LON SEROFSKY - Penny temporarily moves into Brad & Jane's guest bedroom, and begins to sleep with the Car Czar. After many attempts to separate them, Penny finally realizes he was just the rebound she needed to fully recover from her break-up with Pete. Max, searching for some extra money, decides to enter the Mr. Gay Chicago tournament, and seeks guidance from Alex and Dave.

3x20. UN-SABOTAGABLE - After running into Chase (see 3x10), who calls Max's life "un-sabotagable," Max decides to seek Jane's help fixing up his life to prove to Chase that his life can be sabotaged. After everything goes too well too quickly for Max, he deduces that Chase has decided to do the same thing to ruin Max. Meanwhile, Alex decides to take use of all of her groupons to prove Dave wrong, and seeks help from Penny and Brad. While Brad is having fun, Penny regrets joining and tries to help Dave's plans of sabotage.

3x21. DEUCE BABYLOVE 2: ELECTRIC BABYDEUCE - Penny & Dave's parents are back in town and announce they're looking at adopting a child to raise together. Penny & Dave naturally react horribly, and try to prove why it's a bad decision - by hosting a fake audition and not completely kidnapping a baby. Brad & Jane decide they want to spend time away from the rest of the group and attempt to join a country club, but it's ruined when Max & Alex get wind of their plans and also try to join.

3x22. BROTHAS & SISTAS - Jane & Alex's older sister is in town for her wedding to Elliot, who unfortunately only spells his name with one T. The wedding ultimately goes into full chaos mode, with Dave & Alex hiding their break-up, the newlyweds hiding their pregnancy behind a shotgun wedding and Brad & Jane getting caught in the crossfires of it all.

META JOKE OF THE EPISODE (which will be in the video linked below):

Max: "I can't believe Jane and Alex have an older sister. I mean, we never see her, you never talk about her, she never shows up in any of your flashbacks."

Penny: "Flashbacks?"

Dave: "That's what Jane and Alex call their photo albums."

This episode ultimately served as the series finale, as ABC chose not to renew it afterward. In the years since, fans have campaigned over and over again for a revival. The cast and the creators have said many times they would love to do one, but it seems it just hasn't been meant to be. At one point, a writer with access to the Happy Endings Twitter began a countdown that many believed to be news of a revival; it was ultimately a cruel April Fools Day joke. The interest garnered from that did, however, lead to a special reunion table reading to raise money with charity:

Late last year, ABC received a new head of programming for their comedy division who said in an interview that she would leave to bring Happy Endings back. A few months later, Casey Wilson, Adam Pally and Damon Wayans, Jr. all posted photos on their Instagram together, leading to more fan speculation. Unfortunately, with no news since then, it seems that Happy Endings will just forever live as the cult classic three-seasons show that it wound up being.

While I would love for new episodes to be made, I'm also at peace with what we did get because its short run has helped contribute to its success as a cult favourite all these years later. It's easily my favourite show of all time, and Andrew & I legitimately rewatch the entire series two or three times a year, and still laugh non-stop at all the jokes even though we've heard them hundreds of times before.

I'm sad I wasn't able to drag it much further than I did, but at least I managed to save it as much as I could.

14 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Me after nobody acknowledges my three-part write-up covering all 57 episodes:

happy endings penny GIF

/dramatic

LOL hold your horses, I just saw it now. :dead:

But really - amazing Happy Endings write-ups you did! I'm surprised I never really heard of this show or at least, I don't remember it. But it was fun to read through and would be a show I would be interested in watching. :yes: 

10 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

90s dancing GIF

Mo to the, E to the. :wub: 

I was going to post part 1 of my RPDR write-up but I will wait since there's already alot on this page and I don't want to clog everyone's devices :haha:

But great write-up Elliott - I may have to give it a try once I am done with The Good Place, considering I like Adam Pally. 

• Like 1

Ooh lots of new detailed write-ups I'll need to check out. ❤️ 

15 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Awww yess I did. It was really well detailed and explained nicely. :yes: 

Not really familiar with the show or sure if it’s my type of show though. But I still really enjoyed reading your write-up! And I’ve always really liked NPH and he’s great - soo I’d imagine he really makes this show. Even though it’s classified as a dark comedy/drama, I….. still don’t really get the comedy feel to it at all - even though some parts and humor were funny. Seems more drama to me.

Lol that Twitter pic with the quote/lady looking confused cracked me up. :haha: And love all of the other gifs/pics you used and descriptions. SO well done as always.

Thank you! :hug:  Oh, I thought you were somewhat. I think you would enjoy it.  :yes: NPH is incredible in that role and you'd love it. I can't really think of a show to compare it to, but it's a fun one to watch. I don't think of it as a comedy like a sitcom, but I think dark comedy is the perfect description of it. Really? I posted so many funny gifs though. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c2 I think you'd get it if you watched. The general storyline is drama, but it is full of humor and overly dramatic. 

That's an accurate representation of what goes on the whole time. :lmao:  Thank youuu. :hug:❤️ 

7 hours ago, Alex95 said:

Trying to go back and time and real all the major writeups I've missed! Great job @miss denise and @~Tom~ with Unfortunate Events and Vera! Neither seem exactly like my kind of show, but I definitely understand the appeal and you've described them well!

Thanks Alex! :hug: Ah darn, I think you could enjoy it, but appreciate you saying this. ^_^ 

A Series Of Unfortunate Events Thank You GIF by NETFLIX - Find ...