Television Shows Rankdown

Steven_

lookinghbo.gif
LOOKING

Damn, another show I love getting cut.  I saved Sense8 though because even if both only have 2 seasons and a movie finale, Sense8 is just a bit more amazing than Looking. Now I have to let it go. Anyway! Looking is an HBO show that aired in 2014-2015 with two seasons. It's an American comedy-drama show about a group of gay friends living in one of the gayest cities ever: San Francisco. It stars are mostly revolves around Patrick Murray, played the amazing Jonathan Groff, with his two best friends - Dom and Agustin. The three men nagivate life, relationship, family, and career in the modern-day San Francisco. Let's go talk about each character first and leave Patrick and his story last because it is the main story anyway .

giphy.gif

Let's start of with Agustin as he was my least favourite character of the main cast. Agustin is played by Frankie J. Alvarez and is one of Patrick's best friends and roommates. He is an aspiring artist and kind of has this snowflake kind of attitude in my opinion. He questions the idea of monogamy like some gays do but he is in the process of domesticating with his own boyfriend, Frank. A short description of Frank, annoying though good-natured. Anyway, he moves away from San Francisco and moves in with Frank in Oakland and tells Patrick and Dom that this is no domesticating and tries to prove it (to himself mostly) by having a threesome with Frank and another guy who visits the gallery where he works. His story revolves around him learning that being in a monogamous relationship does not equate to being heteronormative and trying to fit in the society and what the scoiety wants. Also, Agustin reignites his passion for the arts along the way. 

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Dom, played by Murray Bartlett, is the other best friend of Patrick and he is a sommelier at a gastric restaurant. He is a mainstay at Zuni (which is a real restaurant in San Francisco) and is facing a croassroad in his life as he is about to celebrate his 40th birthday. It looks more like a middle age crisis to me with him still trying to hook up with twinks and all. There's a sexy scene and a funny scene after the former that happens in the first episode. Dom lives with Doris who is his other best friend snd they are fellow Modesto natives. His storyline is basically about him wanting to pursue his dreams of opening up his own restaurant - a Portuguese-chicken restaurant to be exact. He meets a man nsmed Lynn one day and he is not Dom's usual type because he is older (not even near  his age I think) but they hit it off and Lynn becomes a potential investor in his dream restaurant. Of course it is not that easy and there are obstacles and struggles in this partnership, both romantic and not.

giphy.gif
28eb62c6056426cf22d8caf11d497745.gif
giphy.gif

Doris is Dom's best friend and roommate and she works as a nurse. They have been friends for a loooong time as she knows a lot of things about Dom like his pasts, attitudes, etc. For example, she knows about his drama about Dom's ex who apparently owes him a lot of money. She also cares deeply for Dom like sometimes I would think that she is in love with him. I think she was? I don't remember. Maybe when Dom hasn't come out yet when they were young. Or maybe I'm just making shit up. Doris has her own small storyline too about not wanting to be in a relationship because I think she likes to think she's a gay person living in a woman's body and she stands with them against heteronormative standards as a support. She struggles obviously. Love this lady because she is funny and even with her having few scenes, she makes her part worth watching. Shes actually one of the best things in the show.

giphy.gif
tumblr_inline_nmzfegeEkB1qbgmkq_500.gif

Brady is Agustin's boyfriend in season 2. Alas, that relationship with Frank is never going to last and it is obvious to everyone who sees them for the first time. Unlike Frank, Brady plays a big part in Agustin's life in general and in a positive way.

0a741ec328115611d3bfde291d2785ab.gif
tumblr_mzsf9io8eE1qzzzloo2_r1_250.gif
looking-salad.gif

Patrick Murray is the main character and the show revolves around him most of the time. He is a 29-year-old video game designer who lives in San Francisco but he is originally from Colorado. Looking and acting like a boy next door type, he is quite naive because even as an adult, he still kind of has a lot of things to learn about life and being gay. He's not in the closet but there are things he still struggles with that stems from his insecurities. He also has been very unlucky in relationships or trying to find one. Patrick is recently single at the start of the series and he just got out of a six months relationship with a guy who is then engaged after their breakup. That is the reason why he has been trying to find a new guy and move on from his ex and this leads him to his frequent visits to OkCupid . And as I said, he's been very unlucky in find a potential relationship because most of the people he meets or talks to are only into casual sex or hookups. Another stigma and stereotype in the gay community but it is far from a lie.  After a disastrous date one night, he meets Richie on the Muni. 

tumblr_mzpwq0hlVU1qzb52xo1_250.gif
tenor.gif?itemid=14029906
tumblr_n1i8wxovbW1shbgx3o4_250.giftumblr_n1i8wxovbW1shbgx3o2_250.gif

Richie is played by the very good looking Raul Castillo. He is very charming and I fell in love with him the first time I saw him in episode 1. He is a doorman at Esta Noche which is a real bar in San Francisco. It is the first latino gay bar there so that's super awesome!  Richie is also an aspiring barber. Patrick and Richie had a bad start because Patrick got super drunk the first night they met and went to Esta Noche with Richie. Patrick wanted to hook up with him but he said they are looking for different things. Richie is obviously looking to get to know him because he is not a one night stand kind of person. Patrick wants this too but he thought sleeping with Richie is what he wanted. He apologises for his behaviour and the two decides to spend the night together. Richie is an amazing guy as he is very understanding of Patrick and his insecurities. He has his own storyline too albeit a small side one about his father and acceptance of him being gay. He is a great guy overall that sometimes I think Patrick does not deserve him at all especially when Patrick seems to be attracted to his boss, Kevin.

BonyPerfumedGiantschnauzer-size_restrict
giphy.gif

Kevin is played by the really hot actor Russell Tovey. He is a English man who becomes the boss of Patrick. From the very first meeting, they have an attraction to one another. The British video game whiz — who is a higher-up at Most Dangerous Games and has a boyfriend, Jon — recently took his professional relationship with Patrick to a much more personal level. Patrick didn't know that Kevin has a boyfriend at the beginning so that's kind of spoiler-y. Anyway, they start off trying to play it cool and stop their attraction to one another as both have someone else but they can't seem to contain the chemistry they have. Kevin is kind of hollow as a character in the first season and just acting like the other guy for Patrick but in season 2, we learn more about him and his personality. Although his personality was shown in season 1 already as being funny, supportive, cute, helpful, etc., we get to learn more about the negative and not so fun things about Kevin because nobody is THAT perfect. 

The show has always been about Patrick's love life. It's kind of where the story really revolves with the other plots revolving around it. Am I #TeamRichie or #TeamKevin? At first I was team Kevin of course because I always found European accents really hot and Kevin is as much fun and sexy as Richie. But then, as the show progresses, I become team Richie. Team Richie 'til the end because his love for Patrick is just genuine and something that I would want in a relationship. He is so selfless and caring especially to Patrick's dick-ish moves. As I have said, at one point I don't think Patrick really deserves Richie.

Patrick-Richie-First-Date.gif
giphy.gif
tumblr_oaw86sWztW1rnnrpxo1_500.gif
anigif_enhanced-2064-1423936076-8.gif
baebfeb5ee11a41c8e312b4d344a21fc.gif
tumblr_o265viJnSx1sgj1w7o1_r3_500.gif
UuTv.gif

Anyway, it only lasted for 2 seasons and it got a movie to tie things up. This show's run is short but it definitely left a mark on me and its fans. Jonathan Groff and the casts' acting is so amazing that it gives so much life to the show. Love this show so much and I think I will always rank it on top of the shows that I love. The Guardian has ranked it amongst the "100 Greatest Shows in the 21st Century" and I stand by it. It got widely positive reviews all around and had been nominated quite a lot. The show won awards for it too so there's that. So if you have HBO Go, please give it a try. ❤️

13 hours ago, miss denise said:

tumblr_inline_n03usmZTPG1rm1gfu.gif 

Oh, thank you. I hope you will. I worked so hard on it. 😢 

:hug: 

Awww yess I did. It was really well detailed and explained nicely. :yes: 

Not really familiar with the show or sure if it’s my type of show though. But I still really enjoyed reading your write-up! And I’ve always really liked NPH and he’s great - soo I’d imagine he really makes this show. Even though it’s classified as a dark comedy/drama, I….. still don’t really get the comedy feel to it at all - even though some parts and humor were funny. Seems more drama to me.

Lol that Twitter pic with the quote/lady looking confused cracked me up. :haha: And love all of the other gifs/pics you used and descriptions. SO well done as always.

13 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

I say the same about Legend of Korra. :haha: Plus Victoria likes animated TV shows so she'd learn about one that's better than Rugrats a good one. :yes: 

Thanks Wally! 😄 

Lol I hear you on that. :haha: Not here for the Rugrats shade there though. 😘 

You're welcome!

10 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

Diana having everyone do her write-ups. I’m jealous.😅

:lmao: 

53 minutes ago, miss denise said:

To everyone having to choose between their favorites... 

tenor.gif?itemid=9863350

Yes to this. 😢 This cycle is really tough. :broken: 

Really good Looking write-up, Vee. Again that was another show I haven't heard of before. While it didn't seem to last long, it seems like it left its great mark for its fans which is really great! :yes: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Yes to this. 😢 This cycle is really tough. :broken: 

Really good Looking write-up, Vee. Again that was another show I haven't heard of before. While it didn't seem to last long, it seems like it left its great mark for its fans which is really great! :yes: 

Thanks Wally :hug:I think the biggest fans of the show in IDF is me and @Drew :haha:

2 hours ago, vee_ said:

lookinghbo.gif
LOOKING

Damn, another show I love getting cut.  I saved Sense8 though because even if both only have 2 seasons and a movie finale, Sense8 is just a bit more amazing than Looking. Now I have to let it go. Anyway! Looking is an HBO show that aired in 2014-2015 with two seasons. It's an American comedy-drama show about a group of gay friends living in one of the gayest cities ever: San Francisco. It stars are mostly revolves around Patrick Murray, played the amazing Jonathan Groff, with his two best friends - Dom and Agustin. The three men nagivate life, relationship, family, and career in the modern-day San Francisco. Let's go talk about each character first and leave Patrick and his story last because it is the main story anyway .

giphy.gif

Let's start of with Agustin as he was my least favourite character of the main cast. Agustin is played by Frankie J. Alvarez and is one of Patrick's best friends and roommates. He is an aspiring artist and kind of has this snowflake kind of attitude in my opinion. He questions the idea of monogamy like some gays do but he is in the process of domesticating with his own boyfriend, Frank. A short description of Frank, annoying though good-natured. Anyway, he moves away from San Francisco and moves in with Frank in Oakland and tells Patrick and Dom that this is no domesticating and tries to prove it (to himself mostly) by having a threesome with Frank and another guy who visits the gallery where he works. His story revolves around him learning that being in a monogamous relationship does not equate to being heteronormative and trying to fit in the society and what the scoiety wants. Also, Agustin reignites his passion for the arts along the way. 

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Dom, played by Murray Bartlett, is the other best friend of Patrick and he is a sommelier at a gastric restaurant. He is a mainstay at Zuni (which is a real restaurant in San Francisco) and is facing a croassroad in his life as he is about to celebrate his 40th birthday. It looks more like a middle age crisis to me with him still trying to hook up with twinks and all. There's a sexy scene and a funny scene after the former that happens in the first episode. Dom lives with Doris who is his other best friend snd they are fellow Modesto natives. His storyline is basically about him wanting to pursue his dreams of opening up his own restaurant - a Portuguese-chicken restaurant to be exact. He meets a man nsmed Lynn one day and he is not Dom's usual type because he is older (not even near  his age I think) but they hit it off and Lynn becomes a potential investor in his dream restaurant. Of course it is not that easy and there are obstacles and struggles in this partnership, both romantic and not.

giphy.gif
28eb62c6056426cf22d8caf11d497745.gif
giphy.gif

Doris is Dom's best friend and roommate and she works as a nurse. They have been friends for a loooong time as she knows a lot of things about Dom like his pasts, attitudes, etc. For example, she knows about his drama about Dom's ex who apparently owes him a lot of money. She also cares deeply for Dom like sometimes I would think that she is in love with him. I think she was? I don't remember. Maybe when Dom hasn't come out yet when they were young. Or maybe I'm just making shit up. Doris has her own small storyline too about not wanting to be in a relationship because I think she likes to think she's a gay person living in a woman's body and she stands with them against heteronormative standards as a support. She struggles obviously. Love this lady because she is funny and even with her having few scenes, she makes her part worth watching. Shes actually one of the best things in the show.

giphy.gif
tumblr_inline_nmzfegeEkB1qbgmkq_500.gif

Brady is Agustin's boyfriend in season 2. Alas, that relationship with Frank is never going to last and it is obvious to everyone who sees them for the first time. Unlike Frank, Brady plays a big part in Agustin's life in general and in a positive way.

0a741ec328115611d3bfde291d2785ab.gif
tumblr_mzsf9io8eE1qzzzloo2_r1_250.gif
looking-salad.gif

Patrick Murray is the main character and the show revolves around him most of the time. He is a 29-year-old video game designer who lives in San Francisco but he is originally from Colorado. Looking and acting like a boy next door type, he is quite naive because even as an adult, he still kind of has a lot of things to learn about life and being gay. He's not in the closet but there are things he still struggles with that stems from his insecurities. He also has been very unlucky in relationships or trying to find one. Patrick is recently single at the start of the series and he just got out of a six months relationship with a guy who is then engaged after their breakup. That is the reason why he has been trying to find a new guy and move on from his ex and this leads him to his frequent visits to OkCupid . And as I said, he's been very unlucky in find a potential relationship because most of the people he meets or talks to are only into casual sex or hookups. Another stigma and stereotype in the gay community but it is far from a lie.  After a disastrous date one night, he meets Richie on the Muni. 

tumblr_mzpwq0hlVU1qzb52xo1_250.gif
tenor.gif?itemid=14029906
tumblr_n1i8wxovbW1shbgx3o4_250.giftumblr_n1i8wxovbW1shbgx3o2_250.gif

Richie is played by the very good looking Raul Castillo. He is very charming and I fell in love with him the first time I saw him in episode 1. He is a doorman at Esta Noche which is a real bar in San Francisco. It is the first latino gay bar there so that's super awesome!  Richie is also an aspiring barber. Patrick and Richie had a bad start because Patrick got super drunk the first night they met and went to Esta Noche with Richie. Patrick wanted to hook up with him but he said they are looking for different things. Richie is obviously looking to get to know him because he is not a one night stand kind of person. Patrick wants this too but he thought sleeping with Richie is what he wanted. He apologises for his behaviour and the two decides to spend the night together. Richie is an amazing guy as he is very understanding of Patrick and his insecurities. He has his own storyline too albeit a small side one about his father and acceptance of him being gay. He is a great guy overall that sometimes I think Patrick does not deserve him at all especially when Patrick seems to be attracted to his boss, Kevin.

BonyPerfumedGiantschnauzer-size_restrict
giphy.gif

Kevin is played by the really hot actor Russell Tovey. He is a English man who becomes the boss of Patrick. From the very first meeting, they have an attraction to one another. The British video game whiz — who is a higher-up at Most Dangerous Games and has a boyfriend, Jon — recently took his professional relationship with Patrick to a much more personal level. Patrick didn't know that Kevin has a boyfriend at the beginning so that's kind of spoiler-y. Anyway, they start off trying to play it cool and stop their attraction to one another as both have someone else but they can't seem to contain the chemistry they have. Kevin is kind of hollow as a character in the first season and just acting like the other guy for Patrick but in season 2, we learn more about him and his personality. Although his personality was shown in season 1 already as being funny, supportive, cute, helpful, etc., we get to learn more about the negative and not so fun things about Kevin because nobody is THAT perfect. 

The show has always been about Patrick's love life. It's kind of where the story really revolves with the other plots revolving around it. Am I #TeamRichie or #TeamKevin? At first I was team Kevin of course because I always found European accents really hot and Kevin is as much fun and sexy as Richie. But then, as the show progresses, I become team Richie. Team Richie 'til the end because his love for Patrick is just genuine and something that I would want in a relationship. He is so selfless and caring especially to Patrick's dick-ish moves. As I have said, at one point I don't think Patrick really deserves Richie.

Patrick-Richie-First-Date.gif
giphy.gif
tumblr_oaw86sWztW1rnnrpxo1_500.gif
anigif_enhanced-2064-1423936076-8.gif
baebfeb5ee11a41c8e312b4d344a21fc.gif
tumblr_o265viJnSx1sgj1w7o1_r3_500.gif
UuTv.gif

Anyway, it only lasted for 2 seasons and it got a movie to tie things up. This show's run is short but it definitely left a mark on me and its fans. Jonathan Groff and the casts' acting is so amazing that it gives so much life to the show. Love this show so much and I think I will always rank it on top of the shows that I love. The Guardian has ranked it amongst the "100 Greatest Shows in the 21st Century" and I stand by it. It got widely positive reviews all around and had been nominated quite a lot. The show won awards for it too so there's that. So if you have HBO Go, please give it a try. ❤️

Great Write-up Ver :wub:

We pretty much share the same opinions with the characters...

Richie is by far my favorite and Patrick DID not deserved him! 

Doris is comedic GOLD and my second favorite character. I wish they didn't cancel the show after only two seasons but at least the movie was a nice finish for the show!!

10 minutes ago, .Rei said:

Great Write-up Ver :wub:

We pretty much share the same opinions with the characters...

Richie is by far my favorite and Patrick DID not deserved him! 

Doris is comedic GOLD and my second favorite character. I wish they didn't cancel the show after only two seasons but at least the movie was a nice finish for the show!!

Thanks! :hug:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :wub: The movie really did wrap up everything so nicely. Got super emotional during the last scene where they zoomed out the camera and showing the street in San Francisco 🥺

4 hours ago, vee_ said:

Thanks! :hug:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :wub: The movie really did wrap up everything so nicely. Got super emotional during the last scene where they zoomed out the camera and showing the street in San Francisco 🥺

same the last 15 minutes of the movie had me 😭