Television Shows Rankdown

Steven_

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

giphy.gif

I'm sorry, Regis. I actually watched this show back in the day and I'm very familiar with this show. I used to play the online version and had so much fun with it. :haha: This show is iconic and I'm kind of sad it's leaving but it's only going to get harder from here on out. It debuted in 1999 and ended in 2002. It came back multiple times but the only host I recognize is Regis. The show is basically a slew of questions that get harder with every passing level. You can leave the show a millionaire and you get three lifelines. I think everyone is familiar with this show. I'm going to play an online version of it right now. BRB.

UnREAL

91-Ka7ci+vL._RI_.jpg

UnREAL is pretty much the poster child of wasted potential in a tv show. This show had so much promise, a lot of ammunition to make something powerful, and then they completely dropped the ball. If you don't know what the show is about, it's a behind the scenes look at The Bachelor. The f*cked up sh*t that goes on in the world of reality show production. It was created by and worked on be people who used to work on the set of the The Bachelor. It's about how the producers manipulate the contestants and drive them to their breaking points. They used all this prior knowledge to create a feminist masterpiece. A takedown of the disgustingly manipulative and sexist reality show industry. Also women ran the show. Yes some of the most higher-up people were men, but it was women were the producers who were actively creating a sexist environment. It was completely fascinating watching how they balanced Rachel, the main character's, attempts at being a feminist while harming all these women she's producing. Rachel Goldberg and Quinn King actually had potential to be tv's next great anti-heroes I thought. Unfortunately, the show turned to sh*t.

The first season is a masterpiece for the most part. We meet, Rachel Goldberg, played flawlessly by Shiri Appleby. Before the show starts, she had a drunken meltdown on the set of the last season of "Everlasting" (the Bachelor-esque show she works on). She stole a car and screamed about how evil and fake everything is. The producers got her out of jail by forcing her to continue to work for free on the show. Rachel is the best at her job. She can get the good soundbites out of the girls, she can convince them to cause drama, and she gets them to make fools of themselves. All of this is controlled by the manipulative and conniving Quinn King, the executive producer of Everlasting, flawlessly played by Constance Zimmer (which earner her an Emmy nomination, and I feel deserved the win). While Rachel knows how to manipulate the girls on the show, Quinn knows how to manipulate Rachel. She pushes Rachel's buttons to get her to do her best work, which also involves committing unspeakable and despicable acts.

Zimmer shows such restraint and power in this scene. Everything about her physical performance is demanding the viewers attention, but she's not screaming and throwing a fit. She's just poking Rachel to create the damn show she wants. The entire season is a power struggle and that's what makes it so great. Quinn thinks she's in charge of the show. She wants drama and then a fairytale ending if it fits. Rachel wants to be free but also doesn't know where she belongs. In the first episode, she makes an alliance with Adam, the suitor, and convinces him to cut the girl who was typecast to be "the bitch" in the first episode. However, Quinn always gets what she wants. When Rachel falls for the suitor and thinks the two will run away from the show and their lives together, Quinn knows everything. Adam brings Rachel's heart, so Quinn and Rachel work together to destroy him. They expose his two-timing to the frontrunner contestant and she leaves him at the altar, embarrassing him on national television. There's so many small stories of manipulation, battling for power, etc. throughout the season. It's both fun to watch, and powerful to see because it is a pretty accurate representation of the reality of reality television. Unfortunately, there's also a scene where a contestant kills herself and it's not done very well. Very Lifetime-esque. I was worried about starting a "Lifetime original show" and this storyline kinda confirmed my beliefs. But luckily it was just one storyline! Every show's allowed a bad storyline.

Sadly, one bad storyline turned into three bad seasons. In season two they get an African-American suitor and it gets messy. They try balancing 100 different storylines and do none of them well. They make us watch him get attacked by the police in one scene for some reason. There's a way to show police brutality without sensationalizing it. This Lifetime show doesn't know how to do that. From this point on in the show it just gets bad. Rachel and Quinn were once complex and just become unlikable. And kind of stupid...? The women are way too smart to fall for the bullsh*t they do. Some of the side characters who were likable and rootable in the first season become awful too. I guess the point of the show is that Everlasting brings everyone down and you can't stay above it. But there's not many shows that can successfully keep an audience interested if there's literally nobody to like. So the show does The Most for the next three seasons, I suffer through it, and I'm worse for it. But I'd HIGHLY recommend the first season. Especially if you're a fan of reality television (specifically The Bachelor). It's a really compelling and powerful story. Just a shame it fell off the rails.

Save Game of Thrones

Edited by Alex95

Shadowhunters 

clary fray no one can know GIF by Shadowhunters

I have read (most of) the books this is based off of. I saw the tragic movie. This show is a big improvement from the movie. It takes some risky changes from the books. Are they better? That is up to the viewer. The books aren't exactly literary genius, so I do not go full book snob on it. 

The series stars Clary Fray. Basically, her mother lied to her. Things get really crappy after her 18th birthday. Her mother ends up in a coma. (because of magic). The mom had really awful timing. She should have considered telling her the truth before all the protections wore off. Then the series would be like 4 books shorter. That wouldn't work. 

I never watched the final season. It's one of the shows that lost my interest. It's lasted a decent amount of time. Malec is the best part of the show. 

Saving Hannibal 

Lots of switches with claims, but I think this is accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Big Brother (US)
Big Brother Canada

Boy Meets World
Call the Midwife

Catdog
Celebrity Big Brother (US)

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Crikey! It's the Irwins

Desperate Housewives*
Downton Abbey*

Empire
Euphoria*

Friends*

Grey's Anatomy*

Hollywood Game Night
Judge Judy*

Kenan & Kel*
La Casa De Las Flores*

NCIS*
Pokémon*

Queer As Folk
The League*

The Neighborhood

Wheel of Fortune*

* Claimed, but no write-up yet.

Euphoria

250px-Euphoria_intertitle.png

This show can go, because someone told me Zendaya starred in it earlier in the rankdown, and I don't like anything Zendaya.  In addition to Zendaya who plays Rue Bennett, the show also stars Maude Apatow, Angus Cloud, Eric Dane, Alexa Demie, Jacob Elordie, Barbie Ferreira, Nika King, Storm Reid, Hunter Schafer, Algee Smith and Sydney Sweeney.  None of these names rig a bell.  The show runs on HBO, and has had 1 season of 8 episodes.  The shows Pilot aired in June 2019.  The show is about high school students as they deal with different pressures high school students get exposed to.  Sounds uninteresting, like most Teen dramas.  

Save: Desperate Housewives

NCIS

NCIS_title.jpg

ncis GIF by CBS

NCIS is another show that I know of but never watched before so this is my reason for cutting it. NCIS is another action police drama series from CBS and it has aired 394 episodes in 17 seasons as of today. Well, that's impressive. The show revolves around a team of special agents from the Naval Criminal Investigations Scene, aka NCIS, where they deal with crimes committed by or to Navy or Marine personnel. The show itself is a spin-off of another show called JAG that I've never heard off. NCIS also opened the door for the creation of two other spin-offs in NCIS:Los Angeles and NCIS:New Orleans. LOL, I'm trying to see what the reception of the shows is on Wikipedia and the only thing that says is this: In 2016, The New York Times reported that NCIS "is most popular in rural areas", especially in rural Maine and Pennsylvania.[47] 

Is that good? Is that bad? Do the people in Maine and Pennsylvania have great taste? Well, I'm almost certain that this is a good show taking in consideration all the episodes and seasons so far. Hope this isn't a big favorite from another ranker but we must say goodbye to this show for the moment.

Saving La Casa de Las Flores

la casa de las flores GIF by netflixlatgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

Edited by .Rei

judge-judy-4ea5fc47b3d27.png

giphy.gif db1f6173a1fb45eb6d503ae9e322d221.gif

Judge Judy is an iconic show - it is a show that we all watched at some point in our lives whether on our own or because we were forced to watch it. But with that being said, Judge Judy, herself, is more iconic than the show, itself - at this point of the rankdown, it makes sense that we cut it. Let's do a quick overview of the show: It is a reality tv show meets arbitration & court room - it truly started a trend and it is the most known out of every shows that falls under reality-tv court room show. The show features Judy Sheindlin whom is the judge - it is quite hilarious when she doesn't truly care about the defence or prosecution. Anyway, it is good at what it does as the show has been airing 1996 and it has been renewed until its 25th season which is very impressive. Unfortunately for Judge Judy, she was not around to make the decision and the show shall leave the rankdown.

SAVING: DOWNTON ABBEY

Edited by *Chris

The League

74gbQWU.jpg?1

I am not familiar with this show, and don't know or remember if it's a big favorite of anyone's, but I hope not. :( I'm in a rush, so I had to hurry to make a cut and do this write-up.  I haven't seen any complaints, so hopefully this is okay then. The League is a sitcom, or technically a semi-improvised comedy, set in Chicago about a fantasy football league and its members' everyday lives.  The league's members are friends and of course, huge fantasy football fans, who try to maintain a balance between the league and their personal lives. This is easier said than done, since the competition leads to an intense desire to win, which interferes with their relationships and work lives.  I can't find too many more details than this on the synopsis of the show, but sounds like it could be fun.  The league members engage in a very cutthroat competition to win and earn the bragging rights that go with it. :haha: 

The show aired for 7 seasons;  it originally aired on FX from 2009-2012, before moving to FXX from 2013-2015. The main cast members include Mark Duplass, Stephen Rannazzisi, Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, Jon Lajoie, and Katie Aselton, none of whom sound familiar to me. I do recognize many names among the reoccurring cast list, however. Actually, the list of guest stars is SO massive and I definitely do not have the time to go through all that right now. But yeah, I see that tons of NFL players and analysts starred on the show as themselves, so that's cool.

Saving: Friends

Pn37KYq.gif

Celebrity Big Brother (US)

375px-Celebrity_Big_Brother_(U.S.)_Logo.

Well I heard complaints about cutting BBCAN and I am showing great restraint in not cutting Big Bother US when all I have seen of it is 15 and I didn't like anything I saw of that. Thank me for that, Wally. Can I write a scathing review of this show? Probably not since I've heard better things about this one; apparently Tamar Braxton was quite the popular winner and was the first black woman to win a series of Big Brother in the US. Didn't know much about her performance there but apparently she was a bit of a mess but won anyway? All I do know is that her song Love and War slays. 

Oh I take it back I have seen something of Celebirty Big Brother:

Omarosa is fun but it's obvious she likes playing it up for the cameras. Anyway this show only has two seasons under its belt so far so seems like the easiest cut out of the three to make.

Saving: Wheel of Fortune

Edited by ~Tom~