The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I’ve seen similar on Twitter, from both the left and the right. Considering a certain percentage of the population is crazy, I don’t think it can be avoided. I think I’d be fine with getting rid of Twitter. 

Its bout the money and power. Twitter has a lot more and can afford to get away with it :( 

19 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Completely off topic and I sound like a pig, but this dude is really cute and always has been. #idontdiscriminate 🤣

agree with a term i heard called invisble obvious. unarmed peaceful  people in Layfayette sqaure were attacked and moved out in minutes so Trump could get a photo op, yet armed people were able to get into the Capitol a place that should be highly secre at all times. 

On 1/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, sneaky said:

Its bout the money and power. Twitter has a lot more and can afford to get away with it :( 

I doubt Twitter has concerns about legal exposure on first amendment issues.  Google got a pretty clean win in an access case a couple of years ago.  Like it or not, and I have mixed feelings regarding the principles involved (they apply to permit a ban on leafletting in shopping centers which have replaced the town square), the decision seems pretty sound legally.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4421826-Prager-Dismissed.html

Some states have broader protections under their state constitution but even with those, Twitter would be able to enforce reasonable restrictions on time, place and manner of speech, as it would contend its TOS are.

A plaintiff might try an antitrust theory based on refusal to deal by a monopolist.  Even assuming Twitter meets the legal definition of monopolist, which I doubt, the Supreme Court has held that monopolists generally do not have a duty to deal with anyone with whom they choose not to deal.  EU law is more favorable to plaintiffs on such issues but is not relevant here 

Edited by WastedinMemphis

Of course Wednesday is the day my store has inventory so I'll be there sun up to sun down. The one day I really really don't want to be there!  Ugh! I'll DVR everything and watch it when I get home. Although just like a ball game it's much better live.

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Of course Wednesday is the day my store has inventory so I'll be there sun up to sun down. The one day I really really don't want to be there!  Ugh! I'll DVR everything and watch it when I get home. Although just like a ball game it's much better live.

Bill Maher made a decent point last night (loved the conversation with Kellyanne, btw you should watch). After months and months of doing everything indoors, now we have to have a major outdoor event in light of the virus, ongoing security challenges, etc? 

I personally think it's important to demonstrate our traditions remain intact, etc though. 

Oh there are crazies.  I was talking to someone earlier who is convinced that Tuesday night 80% of the government will be put into jail including Biden and Harris and Pelosi all the democrats and disloyal republicans.  Then on Wednesday Trump will be sworn in for 4 more years and he will replenish the government that has been throw in jail. Oh and here is the crazy part, lol, in 4 years Trump will install JFK Jr as the next President. He has been hiding him and prepping him all this time and his death was fake.  Seriously I'm not creative enough to make up that last part. My jaw dropped when I heard someone's own voice telling me he believed it and I was brainwashed for thinking Biden will be President like the media is making me believe.   My head hurts now.

30 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Oh there are crazies.  I was talking to someone earlier who is convinced that Tuesday night 80% of the government will be put into jail including Biden and Harris and Pelosi all the democrats and disloyal republicans.  Then on Wednesday Trump will be sworn in for 4 more years and he will replenish the government that has been throw in jail. Oh and here is the crazy part, lol, in 4 years Trump will install JFK Jr as the next President. He has been hiding him and prepping him all this time and his death was fake.  Seriously I'm not creative enough to make up that last part. My jaw dropped when I heard someone's own voice telling me he believed it and I was brainwashed for thinking Biden will be President like the media is making me believe.   My head hurts now.

Yeah I know people who believe all this stuff as well. It's really sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

There are crazies on both sides. For years the far left said Trump was a Russian asset. The government even spent 40 million trying to prove it. All because they couldn't accept a reality television celebrity beat them. That Americans were so fed up with both sides, that they would shame them so badly and vote for such a blow hard. 

They (democrats) may have won this battle, but Trump will campaign for the next 4 years. That's what they are really afraid of. That's crazy 😨 and the media will be right there because without him they have nothing.

^ I remember thinking, the next 2-4 years with particular focus on the first two is going to an epic battle to see who's actually more radical. Still an open question. 😅