The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can see the Trump supporters are as delusional as Trump here. Posting a bunch of fake conspiracy theories is pretty pathetic, but Trump knew he could manipulate his voters into this charade.  

I find it hilarious how Trumpsters (and Republicans in general) are just so used to cheating and bullying their way through life, that they simply can't fathom that 75 million Americans voted against

Me waiting for this groundbreaking evidence that has been posted about in this thread for well over a month that's going to win a court case and change everything.

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Drew said:

Hey, your avatar! One of, if not the greatest television series of all time. I'm rewatching it with the boyfriend as we speak and he keeps trying to play Solitare during it. Ugh. Some people just don't know greatness. 

Anyway, I actually agree that if he had just handled the pandemic differently, he would have won comfortably. I've said from the beginning that the public likes to feel cared for. Do we think Bill Clinton genuinely "felt" anyone's pain? Probably not, though I don't know. When you're leader of the free world, you have to play the game. President Trump isn't wired that way. Governor Cuomo's handling has been nothing short of horrible and he wrote a book about leadership during the COVID crisis. You can't make that up! 

I'm glad you basically acknowledge the unfairness of tying all the deaths to Trump. But incumbents tend to reap the rewards for good news and get blamed for the bad stuff. 

Honestly, I think history will regard some of what he tried to do better than some do now, especially the media. Yes, the media treated him horribly and took him out of context consistently, things most expected them to do. But he gave them ammunition as well on occasion and would step on his own message. Those that are center right to conservative would probably tell you he was a good president with respect to policy, but his political instincts and ego worked for the country sometimes and other times, did not. 

I do wish President Trump was attending the inauguration though. I think it's an important tradition. I understand why he doesn't want to. I would feel the same way about many of those people. But it's really just a small gesture to show the country that everything is and will be okay, peaceful transfer of power, etc. 

Well thank you. I did a pandemic rewatch too. It had been so many years since my first watch, but I agree it is in the conversation for greatest tv show ever. What season are you guys on though? There isn't really a bad one, but I can kind of get someone watching in for the first time in 2020 playing solitaire during season 1, because it's not necessarily plot-driven. Or maybe season 5.

That Andrew Cuomo published a "how I conquered the pandemic" book at the mouth of the second wave is very hilarious, that is assuming that even you accept he did a good job with the first one. 

21 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Provincial Premier approval versus how their province is doing with COVID versus the public perception of the Premiers is really interesting. You can sort of break it down into four groups:

- Provinces which have handled the pandemic well and governments with high approval ratings: Atlantic Canada
- Provinces which have handled the pandemic well and governments with low approval ratings: None

- Provinces which have handled the pandemic poorly and governments with low approval ratings: Alberta, Manitoba to an extent
- Provinces which have handled the pandemic poorly and governments with high approval ratings: Ontario, Quebec.

That last group is the most interesting. Things aren't doing so hot in Ontario and Quebec, but the perception is that the government is doing its best is helping keep their approval ratings high. Heck, Doug Ford saved his political future during the pandemic. With how disliked he was pre-pandemic, it's really easy to see how Donald Trump could have done the same to completely change public perception around him.

I would generally agree. I might add BC to the last group, or create a "mediocre job but popular government group" for it. With the third group, I feel like the low approvals are tied specifically with the harsh restrictions that became necessary and not with the overall handling itself (ie., disapproval from the right).

Regardless of what you think about the nature of executive orders themselves what do you think of Biden's orders? I think its a mixed bag but overal pretty good.t I can get behind rejoining the Paris climate agreement, ending the keystone pipeline (because it wasnt our land to build on) and a path to citizenship for undocumented young people.

Not so sure about ending the "Muslim ban". I think we do see evidence from Europe is many people who come from these countries have values at odds with ours.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:17 PM, RWG said:

Well thank you. I did a pandemic rewatch too. It had been so many years since my first watch, but I agree it is in the conversation for greatest tv show ever. What season are you guys on though? There isn't really a bad one, but I can kind of get someone watching in for the first time in 2020 playing solitaire during season 1, because it's not necessarily plot-driven. Or maybe season 5.

That Andrew Cuomo published a "how I conquered the pandemic" book at the mouth of the second wave is very hilarious, that is assuming that even you accept he did a good job with the first one. 

I would generally agree. I might add BC to the last group, or create a "mediocre job but popular government group" for it. With the third group, I feel like the low approvals are tied specifically with the harsh restrictions that became necessary and not with the overall handling itself (ie., disapproval from the right).

We are midway through Season 3. He passed out during "University," the one with the stripper and heavy usage of "Walking On a Thin Line" (what a great song!) and we had to watch it again, which I was happy with, but I also thought - well, this is cheery. 🤣 The other night, I rewatched "Long Term Parking" where Adrianna gets killed. That was so sad, but in a way, I found it fitting. I don't think she ~deserved to die, but her fiancé was a solider basically and the family comes before absolutely everything. That proved it. 

Cuomo seemed to have a steady-hand approach at the outset and I start off being impressed, but it quickly went downhill. New Yorkers tend not to like their politicians, I feel. Maybe that's not true, an overstatement. Bill de Blasio is universally hated by conservatives and progressives alike, but he ran for president, lol. How did he ever win the mayorship? 

On 1/21/2021 at 4:50 PM, Drew said:

We are midway through Season 3. He passed out during "University," the one with the stripper and heavy usage of "Walking On a Thin Line" (what a great song!) and we had to watch it again, which I was happy with, but I also thought - well, this is cheery. 🤣 The other night, I rewatched "Long Term Parking" where Adrianna gets killed. That was so sad, but in a way, I found it fitting. I don't think she ~deserved to die, but her fiancé was a solider basically and the family comes before absolutely everything. That proved it. 

Cuomo seemed to have a steady-hand approach at the outset and I start off being impressed, but it quickly went downhill. New Yorkers tend not to like their politicians, I feel. Maybe that's not true, an overstatement. Bill de Blasio is universally hated by conservatives and progressives alike, but he ran for president, lol. How did he ever win the mayorship? 

Season 3 is probably the best one after season 2. That's when the show was at its peak. Season 3 also has one of the funniest episodes in the series, "Pine Barrens."

"Long Term Parking" hits so heavy when the viewer realizes why the episode is called that. It is sort of a relief when it finally happens, because you know Adrianna's only possible outcomes are to die or go to prison from the moment she is comprosmised, late in season 3 I believe. The scene with Sil when she meets her end is one of the  most memorable for me. I did find the dumbness of the FBI in that episode frustrating. They'd identified Adrianna as a possible weak link, but they knew these guys didn't share mob intel with their wives/girlfriends. And they knew from past experiences that they would blow the heads off of even their most beloved blood relatives the second they sniffed that they were cooperating with the feds. Yet they expected Ade's ruthless fiance to be understanding when she tells him she's been informing the FBI, and her main handler is surprised when she disappears? :haha: 

I saw a video recently in which Fran Lebowitz called Bill De Blasio the most unifying political figure in the country because everyone hates him: rich people hate him, poor people hate him, white people hate him, black people hate him, young people hate him, old people hate him, etc.

15 hours ago, RWG said:

Season 3 is probably the best one after season 2. That's when the show was at its peak. Season 3 also has one of the funniest episodes in the series, "Pine Barrens."

"Long Term Parking" hits so heavy when the viewer realizes why the episode is called that. It is sort of a relief when it finally happens, because you know Adrianna's only possible outcomes are to die or go to prison from the moment she is comprosmised, late in season 3 I believe. The scene with Sil when she meets her end is one of the  most memorable for me. I did find the dumbness of the FBI in that episode frustrating. They'd identified Adrianna as a possible weak link, but they knew these guys didn't share mob intel with their wives/girlfriends. And they knew from past experiences that they would blow the heads off of even their most beloved blood relatives the second they sniffed that they were cooperating with the feds. Yet they expected Ade's ruthless fiance to be understanding when she tells him she's been informing the FBI, and her main handler is surprised when she disappears? :haha: 

I saw a video recently in which Fran Lebowitz called Bill De Blasio the most unifying political figure in the country because everyone hates him: rich people hate him, poor people hate him, white people hate him, black people hate him, young people hate him, old people hate him, etc.

Pine Barrens is one of my favorite episodes period. I can't wait until we get to it. 

I echo everything you've said regarding LTP. I did feel bad for her character. In a way, she did make her own bed as everyone does but she was more ~innocent than most. 

Did you see the entire series? As soon as it came out, I binged the whole thing. I love that woman! I went on to start digging up old clips of her when she was my age. I should read her books, because I've only seen her appearances on TV. 

On 1/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, Drew said:

Pine Barrens is one of my favorite episodes period. I can't wait until we get to it. 

I echo everything you've said regarding LTP. I did feel bad for her character. In a way, she did make her own bed as everyone does but she was more ~innocent than most. 

Did you see the entire series? As soon as it came out, I binged the whole thing. I love that woman! I went on to start digging up old clips of her when she was my age. I should read her books, because I've only seen her appearances on TV. 

I read one of her books years ago. I think she's more entertaining as a speaker/interviewee. I haven't seen her show with Martin Scorsese but it's on my list. I've just seen a promo interview... she also said being the mayor of South Bend, Indiana isn't a qualification for president because there's more people in her building. :haha:

• Like 1
19 hours ago, RWG said:

I read one of her books years ago. I think she's more entertaining as a speaker/interviewee. I haven't seen her show with Martin Scorsese but it's on my list. I've just seen a promo interview... she also said being the mayor of South Bend, Indiana isn't a qualification for president because there's more people in her building. :haha:

LOL, and all the politicians that decide being mayor is the first step to then running for president. 🤣

Just starting Season 4! 

• Like 1

https://news.yahoo.com/publix-grocery-heiress-top-funder-165825190.html

Ok I know Trump is over but this story is interesting. I get why a wealthy person would vote for Trump because, generally, when you are worth a certain amount that is the most important thing to you and you will vote in your interest to keep every penny even though you'll be insanely rich in any scenario. I also understand, though misguided, why someone who is poor or whose life feels unfullfilled or not how they planned it to be a Trump enthusist to a point of joining a cult like this. I dont understand how someone so wealthy would feel the need to give money to a cult. Is paying your employees a couple more bucks an hour that big a deal? Its kinda bewildering

12 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Thank you, Joe. Puerto Rico has been massively screwed.

That's a risky move from McConnell. I dont know the exact numbers but I would guess 35-50 percent of the GOP believes in some form of q anon, stolen election and the illuminati. He's losing a big chunk of his base.

Here is a new interactive map that shows all precincts in most states and how their voting swung from 2016 to 2020.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/upshot/2020-election-map.html?referringSource=articleShare

When you zoom in on the regions surrounding cities like Atlanta, Phoenix, Houston, and Dallas, you really get a sense of where Trump lost the votes he needed.

• Like 1

I love this US Space Force video. I am glad that President Trump made the Space Force a separate branch of military service. The guardians! 🚀 They're now my 2nd favorite service members after the Marines.