The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah, I’m just making sure people are aware. Trump can still get his message out there in other ways. I’m not defending his words and actions. I just think this is going too far. People celebrating won’t feel the same way when the shoe is on the other foot. 

yeah I do agree, if someone on the left posted the same things they should also be banned. never okay to incite violence no matter what side you are on 

Edited by bswanson

4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I saw him interviewed on Fox yesterday. Like I said, he’s really good at threading the needle. Neither side can pin him down. Make no mistake, he does not like Donald Trump. He just can’t come out and say it, if he wants a future in Presidential politics. 

I thought he was going to be the GOP nominee in 2016. I really wish I had been right.

The one thing about Rubio is that I don’t think he is compromised by Russia. He was one of the few Republicans targeted by the bots, and there were a few other things that were noticeable during that primary. There is so much drama that people forget about this connection, and it’s important.

whether he’ll get that nomination though. I’m not convinced that the Trump wing of the party isn’t bigger..so if Hawley runs, I can see him getting it - especially if multiple moderate GOP candidates run.

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

This is exactly what’s happening. Give the left enough rope, and they will always overreach. ALWAYS. 

It was honestly more important to get him off. Mitch and Pence have already shifted. They’re spineless.

people also need to realize that part of the reason platforms do this is they can be held responsible in a civil court if something happens. 

The senate won’t convict (again. See Mitch being spineless), but it’s necessary to impeach. First, a President can’t do what he did without a response from Congress - Pelosi wouldn’t be doing her job.

second, it’s important to remove the dude. He’s unhinged. I know Mitch won’t do it. But again, Pelosi needs to do her job. If Trump does something crazy, it’s on Mitch’s hand. 

Quite frankly, Twitter might have saved us all. Trump might now spend the next ten days being distracted by his fight with Twitter instead of attempting more coups. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

It was honestly more important to get him off. Mitch and Pence have already shifted. They’re spineless.

people also need to realize that part of the reason platforms do this is they can be held responsible in a civil court if something happens. 

The senate won’t convict (again. See Mitch being spineless), but it’s necessary to impeach. First, a President can’t do what he did without a response from Congress - Pelosi wouldn’t be doing her job.

second, it’s important to remove the dude. He’s unhinged. I know Mitch won’t do it. But again, Pelosi needs to do her job. If Trump does something crazy, it’s on Mitch’s hand. 

Quite frankly, Twitter might have saved us all. Trump might now spend the next ten days being distracted by his fight with Twitter instead of attempting more coups. 

There are so many bad dictators and regimes who have free reign to say whatever they want on Twitter, not to mention radicals on the left who  rarely if ever get this treatment. The reality is he’s going to find an alternative to get his message out, and everyone on the right and left will still seek it out. He may even start his own platform, just to avoid being censored. Twitter is the big loser here, because people are going to abandon them in droves. Plenty of people who hate Trump are opposed to censorship. It’s crazy to me that we’re even having this discussion. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

I thought he was going to be the GOP nominee in 2016. I really wish I had been right.

The one thing about Rubio is that I don’t think he is compromised by Russia. He was one of the few Republicans targeted by the bots, and there were a few other things that were noticeable during that primary. There is so much drama that people forget about this connection, and it’s important.

whether he’ll get that nomination though. I’m not convinced that the Trump wing of the party isn’t bigger..so if Hawley runs, I can see him getting it - especially if multiple moderate GOP candidates run.

I agree with you especially with if more moderate GOP candidates runs. As well, he will be the establishment pick and I don’t think that will resonate well with the voters - a point made by a friend earlier today when discussing the possibility of Rubio running again. 

18 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Twitter is the big loser here, because people are going to abandon them in droves.

I am doubtful that people would abandon Twitter in droves, but if they do then great lol. Get some real competition out there for Twitter, which is garbage IMO.

Reform/resolve the Section 230 issues. Update antitrust laws. I think that's where the solutions are here.

12 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Trump needed to go from Twitter but Jr is right. Other dictators are free to be on there as well. That's not right. If they take down Trump they need to take down all the evil leaders who have Twitter access.

yeah if you are gonna ban one wanna be dictator you gotta apply it evenly to the other ones as well. 

• Like 1

I am also doubtful that someone like Marco Rubio (more moderate and mild-mannered) would be viable to lead the republican party. I would have to see how the party evolves post-Trump in the next couple years. Right now it seems as if more extreme people like Josh Hawley are trying/succeeding in winning over Trump's base, which might remain a massive voting block. I'm hoping the party does not end up going that way, but Trump's... uh, approach in the 2016 primaries was very effective with voters. I think we can expect another huge field of people in the primaries. Ted Cruz is also trying it, but wow he's so unlikeable lol

26 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

When you incite violence - you get banned on Twitter. That’s a rule. And a damn good one. 

President Trump posted a video and a statement on Wednesday night urging for peace and asking the protesters to go home in peace. Twitter deleted those posts and banned him for 12 hours. Yesterday, he posted a video condemning the violence and vowing orderly transition, healing and unity. And today, before the ban, he had 2 tweets -- reassuring his supporters that they will have a voice, and statement about not attending the inauguration.

Most of his tweets are archived by Gab: https://gab.com/realdonaldtrump

Where is the call for violence from President Trump? 

Also, what did these people tweet that incited violence? 

Rush Limbaugh

General Flynn

Sidney Powell

Ben Garrison (cartoonist)

That's just some of the dozens of accounts purged by Twitter today. 

Since Twitter banned them all, they can just say they violated the rules without providing proof because all their tweets are gone. We just have to take almighty Twitter's words. 

Meanwhile, Twitter and Facebook are making legislators like Graham reconsider Section 230 reform, and nevertrump Haley indirectly side with Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

There are so many bad dictators and regimes who have free reign to say whatever they want on Twitter, not to mention radicals on the left who  rarely if ever get this treatment. The reality is he’s going to find an alternative to get his message out, and everyone on the right and left will still seek it out. He may even start his own platform, just to avoid being censored. Twitter is the big loser here, because people are going to abandon them in droves. Plenty of people who hate Trump are opposed to censorship. It’s crazy to me that we’re even having this discussion. 

Here are the tweets on the official account that Twitter deleted minutes later. Some of his supporters shared the screenshot and archives on other websites and social media.

6k7Y7Bj.png

Meanwhile, many Trump supporters have changed their Twitter profile pic and name to Donald J Trump. By censoring Trump, they have turned him into Spartacus.

Edited by season1
  • Like 1

The left (including the people who run Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) would be better off allowing Trump to continue to tweet and post, because he’s not going to be helpful to the GOP over the next few years. Perhaps they’ll realize this soon, and reinstate him.... 

2 hours ago, Nutterbutter said:

Rasmussen has Trump's approval up to 51%

The deleting of conservative twitter accounts is only angering/scarring people.

They are making him into a martyr.

They are really stepping on the communist gas peddle.

What do you mean by “communist”?

I'd like to see an example of anyone else inciting a violent mob on social media and not getting banned for it. Generally speaking people get banned for far less. Social media platforms know the hammer is about to (Rightfully) come down on them. They've been trying to clean it up, but at some point - you just have to take real action. And quite frankly, why do some of you feel Donald Trump is above the rules? He blatantly violated the rule that leads to banning, so he's banned. Good. Hold him accountable. 

Which is the point, isn't it? At least Trump supporters are real. They've made it clear. Donald Trump > America. White Supremacy > American Democracy. Donald Trump incited a white supremacy group to attempt a coup. He filled the DoD with loyalists and refused to give clearance for the National Guard. He did it on a day that represents the peaceful transfer of power which is essential to Democracy. At best, he tried to intimidate every human being who had the ability to take power away from him - at worst he wanted them all dead. 

January 6th was a bigger threat to American Democracy than 9/11. 

And you don't want real action? Being kicked off of social media  - where he began to incite this, and would have continued to incite more of these - is too much? Impeachment is too much? Sorry, you aren't an actual believer in American Democracy if you really feel that way. That's the bare minimum. Trump needs to be held criminally responsible. So if you consider yourself moderate, or not a conservative and not a Trump supporter - really consider what Donald Trump has done, and think about why you feel he shouldn't face severe consequences for it. (Way Way Way beyond being banned from social media and impeachment). Stop making the bar lower and lower, because it's destructive to this country. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

I'd like to see an example of anyone else inciting a violent mob on social media and not getting banned for it. Generally speaking people get banned for far less. Social media platforms know the hammer is about to (Rightfully) come down on them. They've been trying to clean it up, but at some point - you just have to take real action. And quite frankly, why do some of you feel Donald Trump is above the rules? He blatantly violated the rule that leads to banning, so he's banned. Good. Hold him accountable. 

Which is the point, isn't it? At least Trump supporters are real. They've made it clear. Donald Trump > America. White Supremacy > American Democracy. Donald Trump incited a white supremacy group to attempt a coup. He filled the DoD with loyalists and refused to give clearance for the National Guard. He did it on a day that represents the peaceful transfer of power which is essential to Democracy. At best, he tried to intimidate every human being who had the ability to take power away from him - at worst he wanted them all dead. 

January 6th was a bigger threat to American Democracy than 9/11. 

And you don't want real action? Being kicked off of social media  - where he began to incite this, and would have continued to incite more of these - is too much? Impeachment is too much? Sorry, you aren't an actual believer in American Democracy if you really feel that way. That's the bare minimum. Trump needs to be held criminally responsible. So if you consider yourself moderate, or not a conservative and not a Trump supporter - really consider what Donald Trump has done, and think about why you feel he shouldn't face severe consequences for it. (Way Way Way beyond being banned from social media and impeachment). Stop making the bar lower and lower, because it's destructive to this country. 

I’m just going to say you’re being a little over dramatic, and leave it at that. This isn’t only about Trump. When the shoe is on the other foot some day, I’ll be there to call out the hypocrisy. 

• Like 1

BTW, I’ve been trying to download the Parler app on my iPhone since last night. It won’t load. I rarely even Tweet about politics. 

EDIT: It finally loaded 12 hours later. I don’t even know if I’ll use it, but I wanted to get it before Apple removes it from the App Store. 

Edited by TeamAudra