• Hannah Huston - I can't make you love me
    • Hannah Huston - say you love me
    • Hannah Huston - when a man loves a woman
    • Hannah Huston - every breath you take
  2. 2. Best overall run

3. 3. Whose Voice do you prefer?

Posted (edited)

The two female powerhouses of S10!

I remember the discourse on SM surrounding these 2 when the season was airing. Alisan to start the season was seen as the one to win it all. But as the season went on, a significant amount of people started preferring Hannah. The general sentiment was that she was the more tasteful singer and had the better tone in contrast to Alisan who started getting the "screamer" label thrown at her the longer the lives went on. Surely I'm not the only one who remembers this?

I imagine this will be lopsided in Alisan's favour, as Hannah's name rarely comes up around these parts. But nevertheless I am curious. Hopefully can spark a discussion about the two.

(timestamps in description)

Timestamps in description 

Edited by Hsamid

Probs gonna be in the minority here. 
I preferred Hannah’s run a little more than Alisan’s, mainly because I listen to more of Hannah’s performances on repeat. Both had amazing runs and some fantastic performances! Alisan’s “Blue Bayou” though is just something magical. 

• Like 1

Blue Bayou or Let Him Fly (HM: Every Breath You Take)

Alisan

Alisan

Alisan just had that spark during her time ... truly one of the most captivating performers I've ever witnessed. Her audition to me remains as the all-time greatest and my fave ever. Not to discredit Hannah however as she was extremly solid during her run as well!

• Like 2

Alisan was the season's TCO. However, she did a lot of belting/screaming in her live performances, leading Minivans to lean on Hannah more. 

I personally perfer Alisan because I like her voice more, especially "Blue Bayou", it's hard to not think about her when someone else sings this song.

However, in terms of consistency, Hannah had a better run for me. Alisan struggled a lot with Christina's awful vocal-showcase song choice, like "Stay With Me Baby" and especially "Cryin'", that's when people started to label her "screamer". Hannah had a breakout moment in her KOs, then didn't scream and still belted the hell out of her songs in the lives, her overall run is better UNTIL that stupid original song Pharrell wrote for her. 

Posted (edited)

I'd have to give their runs a relisten so I won't vote for now. But at the time I was also one of those that preferred Hannah.

Not cause Alisan was a "screamer" but imo her upper belting register was simply unpleasant (way too sharp and thin) to listen to unless used sparingly or for certain songs. A few performances were just sensory overload, and without any sense of buildup or dynamics.

Again though, it's been a while. Imma come back to this after a relisten to see if my opinion has changed.

Edited by Hsamid

1. Somewhere. That was Alisan's best performance of the season. Though every single performances of hers were incredible and I loved her belting notes. Hannah was amazing as well.

2. Alisan

3. Alisan

I know this is very unpopular but i never thought Alisan was bad lol like I was surprised when I found out people didn't like "Cryin'." I was also a Hello Sunday / Kat Hammock stan back then so maybe I need to relisten.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

it's not even close pls. 

hannah can't hold a candle to alisan both on vocals and songchoices. and she looked terrified on stage most of the time (which always turned me off). she's a good vocalist and deserved her spot on the finale tho but she has a few trainwrecks to her name (ain't no way being the biggest one). 

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I did not imagine seeing an Alisan vs. Hannah thread in 2024 here. :dead: hahaha this feels like such an old school battle.

I really love them both and they were my Top 2 of their season. ❤️ I do slightly prefer Alisan overall, but both were amazing and had many standout performances! ❤️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueenCami said:

I know this is very unpopular but i never thought Alisan was bad lol like I was surprised when I found out people didn't like "Cryin'." I was also a Hello Sunday / Kat Hammock stan back then so maybe I need to relisten.

Cryin was not bad at all, it was just that she had such great, iconic performances previously that this one paled in comparison. A great performance still, just her most flawed one in terms of pure vocal accuracy

• Like 1

Alisan's my favorite TVUS contestant so...

I didn't find Hannah convincing on those old R&B/soul songs, thought RITD/SYLM was more her vibe. House of the Rising Sun was great though.

Auditions: Alisan 

Battles: Alisan 

KO's: Hannah 

Playoffs: Alisan 

Top 12: Alisan 

Top 11: Hannah :stealth:

Top 10: Alisan 

Top 9: Hannah

Semifinal: Hannah  :stealth:

Semifinal duet: i enjoyed both equally

FInale cover: this is hard, but gonna say Hannah.

Coach duet: Alisan (this is not even close, but it's mostly Pharrell's fault)

Original song: Alisan   

Total

Alisan: 7 

Hannah: 5 

So, Alisan had the better run overall. But i easily prefer Hannah's voice, because Alisan's upper belting register doesn't sound very nice to my ears, which makes it hard for me to really fully enjoy her performances. 

House Of The Rising Sun easily gets my vote for favorite performances.

• Like 1

Btw, I always thought Hannah's House of the rising sun was overrated even back then. I still prefer Kimberly's version..

And for me, her best performance is every breath you take. I know "slowed down" versions are overdone at this point but it worked here, and really highlighted how creepy the lyrics are. She sold it well. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

it's not even close pls. 

hannah can't hold a candle to alisan both on vocals and songchoices. and she looked terrified on stage most of the time (which always turned me off). she's a good vocalist and deserved her spot on the finale tho but she has a few trainwrecks to her name (ain't no way being the biggest one). 

Actually, Hannah is a good vocalist. But still, I'm pretty sure if she ever went one on one with Alisan, she would've got destroyed.

That's not a knock on Hannah, that's just a testament of how incredible of a vocalist Alisan is. I think top 5 best vocalists of all time.

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Btw, I always thought Hannah's House of the rising sun was overrated even back then. I still prefer Kimberly's version..

And for me, her best performance is every breath you take. I know "slowed down" versions are overdone at this point but it worked here, and really highlighted how creepy the lyrics are. She sold it well. 

Well yeah, but that's because Kimberly is Kimberly lol

I think EBYT is my favorite too fwiw.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, nytsch said:

Well yeah, but that's because Kimberly is Kimberly lol

I think EBYT is my favorite too fwiw.

I mean, not sure about here but lots of people think it's the best rendition of the song on The Voice and it's not the most outrageous opinion. Hannah has a few things going for her over Kimberly vocally..

I just prefer the intensity of Kim's voice if you will. The growl in her voice sounds more... Guttural? To me 

Also, finally listened to some Alisan performances. I much prefer her on ballads than an "all out" vocal tbh. Somewhere, river and let him fly were gorgeous, and ofc, Blue bayou. (Which she never topped imo)

Didn't care for Stone cold, but tolerated it more on cry baby, cause I think the harshness of her upper register fits that song. (It's Janis Joplin after all)

Edited by Hsamid

17 hours ago, Hsamid said:

HOTRS was solid! I also agreed that EBYT was her best showing honestly along with Say you love me!

Kim's version remains the all time greatest

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Kimberly is probably the best vocalist the show's ever had, I don't even really think being second to her version is much of a knock

EBYT was probably my favorite from hers as well

Edited by indii
  • Like 1