Just Sam performing Sunday

just a reminder that Sam now uses they/them pronouns (which i hope the show respects on Sunday...)!

i'm really excited to finally see them back! their interview with the Washington Post last December was fascinating to read (i recommend if you haven't already). them ending up back in the subway stations was a pretty viral headline last year so i'm interested to see if that is acknowledged in any way on air. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, m1key said:

just a reminder that Sam now uses they/them pronouns (which i hope the show respects on Sunday...)!

i'm really excited to finally see them back! their interview with the Washington Post last December was fascinating to read (i recommend if you haven't already). them ending up back in the subway stations was a pretty viral headline last year so i'm interested to see if that is acknowledged in any way on air. 

Sorty.  It’s going to be hard for me to use the they/them pronouns, but I’ll try.  I hope things are going well for them now.

• Like 2

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6GhlaXrDJ4/?igsh=MWE5ZXdsdnJwaTNweg==

the caption of this post was honestly very hard for me to read. i feel like we do not emphasize how devastating this situation was for Sam and how Idol simply just... ignored them throughout it. Idol completely exploited and capitalized off of their backstory, naivety, and dreams of success just to totally drop them.

i am glad to see they have been able to have a positive and grateful attitude through it all, but it is still just really unsettling. kinda sad they are going back to Idol because they could have probably made a grueling documentary to expose them. 

Edited by m1key
  • Like 2

A few months ago, I heard that Just Sam was being mentored by Ja Rule. They were on a talk show together. He was working on new music with her so maybe now it's ready.

Edited by ptebwwong

16 hours ago, m1key said:

i remember last season there was a non-binary contestant who performed in the duet round of hollywood who, if i recall correctly, was (rather subtly) referred to with they/them pronouns. said contestant got a pretty unflattering edit, but that's not really the point LOL 

21 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I’m glad they’re getting a chance to come back and perform, at least. It seemed like the show just pretended they didn’t exist once S19 kicked off.

lol 4 years and this is the first time they’ve arranged to have them back to perform? I remember when the show used to cling on to contestants in the hope they could make a few dollars off them. Now they kick them out of the door and lock it immediately. :mellow:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zoey said:

lol 4 years and this is the first time they’ve arranged to have them back to perform? I remember when the show used to cling on to contestants in the hope they could make a few dollars off them. Now they kick them out of the door and lock it immediately. :mellow:

This is the first season they’ve regularly had previous alumni back for guest performances since, like, S12. 🥴

• Sad 1

Idol's probably trying save face, lol.  They got some bad publicity of Sam's plight after the show.  But we know that Idol's always had their pecking order of favorites - aka those who had post-show success.  

Yeah a girl won - Maddie Poppe.  But notice Idol invited both Gabby Barrett and Catie Turner back as mentors and not Maddie.  I like Catie, but Maddie would have been a good fit last year mentoring songwriting with Phillip Phillips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

I’m glad they’re getting a chance to come back and perform, at least. It seemed like the show just pretended they didn’t exist once S19 kicked off.

Idol's usually only cared about the alums that are successful. They just brought back Lauren Spencer Smith to perform & she was on the same season as Just Sam. They never brought back Trent Harmon, LaPorsha, Nick Fradiani, Clark Beckham, etc. back to perform post-Idol. This didn't just start with ABC Idol.

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

This is the first season they’ve regularly had previous alumni back for guest performances since, like, S12. 🥴

They bring back alumni all the time... Last season they brought back Noah Thompson and HunterGirl to perform, and the season before that Chayce Beckham and Alejandro Aranda.

Edited by Floaty