The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

18 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I wouldn't fully trust everything sources say. Back in S17 someone called Shane Q's KO "obviously outstanding".

They also said that Melinda didn’t deserve a save or steal based on that battle when much of IDF preferred Melinda. Yeah, sometimes they’re not fully accurate, but they’re accurate a lot of the time. I remember when they said CammWess’s Knockout was better than Thunderstorm’s, which nobody would have expected, but it really held up

I often don’t remember what the sources say once the Auditions air. Also, it’s one person’s opinion of the taping. Source opinions are not the most important thing to know, but they can be useful. It can be fun to look back on them after performances happen

• Like 2

Another great example of this is Levi

I just saw the feedback on Levi and Jamal’s battle, and the source praised Levi a lot, and stated that he had a big voice. They also called him perfect in the battle. That ended up being the most panned battle on IDF, because his partner did much worse. And then for Knockouts the source preferred Levi to Joei and called Joei “generic country”. IDF was definitely happy with Blake’s call  on that one.

• Like 2

I remember Sid getting some mixed reviews for his battle, including someone here that attended that said they wouldn´t have stolen them, and the source saying he "tried too hard". 

Fastforward to the battle airing, and he was almost universally praised, with many even saying that he could have a shot at the finale.

51 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I remember Sid getting some mixed reviews for his battle, including someone here that attended that said they wouldn´t have stolen them, and the source saying he "tried too hard". 

Fastforward to the battle airing, and he was almost universally praised, with many even saying that he could have a shot at the finale.

To be fair, there are (maybe were? don't remember) a few who have noted that they didn't like that he started and ended at a 10, which seems to be the same thing that the source was getting at with "tried too hard."

1 minute ago, QueenCami said:

To be fair, there are (maybe were? don't remember) a few who have noted that they didn't like that he started and ended at a 10, which seems to be the same thing that the source was getting at with "tried too hard."

Yeah, but they were minimal in comparison to the praise he got. I expected a more mixed response, especially since his audition, while well recieved, wasn´t nearly as liked.

6 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

This is true. 

When I watched it, the first thing that came to mind was.....”well, I guess neither of them are capable of doing the runs.” It was just OK. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Sid was my favorite contestant of S19 but I actually preferred Bailey a tad in that battle. :stealth:

It happens. I like Payge overall way more than Lauren, but I thought Lauren's solo verse was 200% better than Payge's, no contest.

• Thanks 1

I was rewatching Kimberly Nichole's performances, and one thing i can't explain it to myself to this day, is how the hell did she lose against India in that Instant Save.

I know, neither of them deserved to be in the bottom 2 (i liked everybody in the Top 6 that season, but yeah, Joshua was, by far, the weakest of the 6, and as much as i liked Koryn, she was not nearly as polished as these two) but it was kind of expected due to the audience of this show. But what bothers me, is that, unlike India, Kimberly was never in the bottom before, she got the pimp spot in the Instant Save and her performance, in my humble opinion, was way better than India's, and she still lost??

I would have preferred Kimberly in the semifinal, she probably would have lost as well, but the semifinal would have been far more interesting with her on it. (I did not posted this in the unpopular opinions thread because i refuse to think this is unpopular)

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

I was rewatching Kimberly Nichole's performances, and one thing i can't explain it to myself to this day, is how the hell did she lose against India in that Instant Save.

I know, neither of them deserved to be in the bottom 2 (i liked everybody in the Top 6 that season, but yeah, Joshua was, by far, the weakest of the 6, and as much as i liked Koryn, she was not nearly as polished as these two) but it was kind of expected due to the audience of this show. But what bothers me, is that, unlike India, Kimberly was never in the bottom before, she got the pimp spot in the Instant Save and her performance, in my humble opinion, was way better than India's, and she still lost??

I would have preferred Kimberly in the semifinal, she probably would have lost as well, but the semifinal would have been far more interesting with her on it. (I did not posted this in the unpopular opinions thread because i refuse to think this is unpopular)

IIRC the % were 50/50, India basically won by a few tweets (two times in a row lmao). But I agree Kimberly should've won hands down, as much as I like India her IS performances were rough

5 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Two things:

1. It took a lot of time to upload Dirty Diana to YT, which was her stronger performance of the night, but they uploaded Free Fallin’, which was by far her weakest performance on the show. That might have costed her some votes and the momentum going into the IS.

2. In the actual IS, Ansel Elgort (an actor) tweeted for India. Don’t know for sure if that actually made the difference, so take it with a grain of salt. They also didn’t let Kim change her IS song (she wanted to sing Don’t Let The Sun Down On Me)

13 minutes ago, Daillon said:

In the actual IS, Ansel Elgort (an actor) tweeted for India.

Oh that :dead:

The "#VoiceSaveIndia" trended that night (iirc) because Ansel said he will followback all those who will tweet that hashtag. It was so unfair for Kim that time :(

15 minutes ago, Daillon said:

(she wanted to sing Don’t Let The Sun Down On Me)

Didn't know about this 😮 she would've killed that

6 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Two words: Dirty Diana. That performance was waaaaay too racy for Team Minivan to handle. It has nothing to do with how they actually sang, if we're being honest.

Season 16 is perhaps the most controversial one, so I was thinking about these things, y'all are free to discuss.

People who actually benefitted from being on S16 specifically:

• Oliv Blu (She would have been gone in KOs had it been the normal format. She got an easy partner on CB and was the logical save choice over two contestants that lost their respective CBs. She got really lucky being on that season)
  • Andrew Sevener (Either KO or Playoffs elimination had it been a normal format. Great country singer, but clearly Blake's least favorite one. Gyth and Dexter would have gotten PVs and Kim would have been the save on a normal format. He also got really lucky being on S16).
  • Carter Lloyd Horne (Same thing as Andrew)

People who auditioned for the wrong season and would have likely had more success on a normal formatted one:

• Rod Stokes (Yeah, he got to semis, but he is the kind of contestant that gets to the finale by winning over the audience through improvement every week, and with so few weeks of lives, he didnt really get the chance to do that).
  • Mari (She was in the middle 3 on the Top 13, meaning she would have advanced to the next round had it been a normal format. That's what got her cut earlier. She would have lasted at least two weeks more with a normal format that what she did on the actual season).
  • Matthew Johnson (Even though the audience preferred Shawn, Matthew's conservative and rustic style would have gotten him the second PV on Team Kelly had it been a normal format. He probably had the most appeal of that specific team behind Rod).

People that would have had the same success on other seasons:

• Maelyn
  • Gyth
  • Dexter
  • Shawn
  • Kim (Blake would have still protected her).

People that would have had the same unfavorable fate on other seasons:

• Domenic (sadly, he just didn't connect with the audience, he would have been done either way).
  • Abby
  • Rebecca (she had potential, but that PO performance would have wrecked her chances anywhere)
  • The Bundys
  • Kendra

And all of the others missing.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

Today's throwback is Jermaine Paul

He had a reputation on IDF for a while as the worst winner (I didn’t watch that season so I’m not familiar with his run).

I do think this is the worst winner’s audition, but it’s still better than Reagan’s version. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

The shade though. 😂

I didn’t like that she smiled through the chorus. Jermaine at least brought some anger into the song

To her credit though, I did enjoy her audition more than his

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

I didn’t like that she smiled through the chorus. Jermaine at least brought some anger into the song

To her credit though, I did enjoy her audition more than his

Yeah, that was a huge turn off for me. You could probably make the case that she was only 14 and couldn´t really relate to the song, but still.

I didn´t love Jermaine´s audition (quite a few pitch issues), but it was an interesting take on the song, and a bit unexpected considering he´s an R&B artist singing Avril Lavigne.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

To this day I think Reagan´s best performance was by far, her battle round. A lovely tone in display, connection to the song and overall I felt she was the most confident she´s ever been during her run. After that, yeah, nothing worked for me.

Agreed. Still not a fan but that was good.

21 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

To this day I think Reagan´s best performance was by far, her battle round. A lovely tone in display, connection to the song and overall I felt she was the most confident she´s ever been during her run. After that, yeah, nothing worked for me.

I loved her in that battle and I thought her KO was decent but I lost interest in the lives. I can admit she did have 1 or 2 good live performances though.