AI21 Elimination Format

Idol Maniac

3 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

That's a good question.

That’s the first thing I thought of honestly…I have a feeling they are going to aim at least moderately hard to have a girl win this season…if that is the case, they may want to get rid of some of these other people before the vote…

7 hours ago, kenboy123 said:

That’s the first thing I thought of honestly…I have a feeling they are going to aim at least moderately hard to have a girl win this season…if that is the case, they may want to get rid of some of these other people before the vote…

Yeah, they might well do so.  And I wouldn't mind -- I've seen too many mediocre singers outlast their welcome just because they were cute nonthreatening wgwgs.  Of course, Elliott would mind it.

43 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Yeah, they might well do so.  And I wouldn't mind -- I've seen too many mediocre singers outlast their welcome just because they were cute nonthreatening wgwgs.  Of course, Elliott would mind it.

or because they are country…seems to be a few country singers this year also…

Edited by kenboy123

15 hours ago, kenboy123 said:

or because they are country…seems to be a few country singers this year also…

That too.  I don't mind having a country singer do well if the singer is very good or great.  I just mind it if they're mediocre white guys with guitars as well, or mediocre white guys without guitars or other instruments.

3 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

That too.  I don't mind having a country singer do well if the singer is very good or great.  I just mind it if they're mediocre white guys with guitars as well, or mediocre white guys without guitars or other instruments.

yeah i really liked Gabby Barrett's performances, and from The Voice, I really liked Lana Scott. Morgan Myles is also excellent (though she's arguably not strictly country).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, QueenCami said:

yeah i really liked Gabby Barrett's performances, and from The Voice, I really liked Lana Scott. Morgan Myles is also excellent (though she's arguably not strictly country).

I liked Gabby's performances more than those of Caleb Lee (the other country singer in the competition), although that was partly because his performances all felt the same to me while Gabby had more versatility.  But the person I was most thinking of was Carrie Underwood.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/american-idol/listings/

The Futon Critic seems to have the listing schedule for the rest of the season. Monday episodes start April 1st and end May 1st. This is my guess at what the format will look like (assuming nothing changes):

Sunday, 4/16 - Top 26 Group 1
Monday, 4/17 - Top 26 Group 2
Sunday, 4/23 - Top 26 Results/Top 20 Perform
Monday, 4/24 - Top 20 Results/Top 14 Reveal
Sunday, 4/30 - Top 14 Perform/Results
Monday, 5/1 - Top 10 Perform/Results
Sunday, 5/7 - Top 7 Perform/Results
Sunday, 5/14 - Top 5 Perform/Results
Sunday, 5/21 - Top 3 (Finale) Perform/Results

Same format as last season except instead of it going from 14-11-10 it's just 14-10. Not bad! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, m1key said:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/american-idol/listings/

The Futon Critic seems to have the listing schedule for the rest of the season. Monday episodes start April 1st and end May 1st. This is my guess at what the format will look like (assuming nothing changes):

Sunday, 4/16 - Top 26 Group 1
Monday, 4/17 - Top 26 Group 2
Sunday, 4/23 - Top 26 Results/Top 20 Perform
Monday, 4/24 - Top 20 Results/Top 14 Reveal
Sunday, 4/30 - Top 14 Perform/Results
Monday, 5/1 - Top 10 Perform/Results
Sunday, 5/7 - Top 7 Perform/Results
Sunday, 5/14 - Top 5 Perform/Results
Sunday, 5/21 - Top 3 (Finale) Perform/Results

Same format as last season except instead of it going from 14-11-10 it's just 14-10. Not bad! 

Dang, Nick and I liked the Top 11 Round (aka the Judges’ Song Contest) last season! Hope they will plan for a good Disney night to happen on one of the Sundays. 🙏🏻 I LOVE Disney night, so I’m hoping and praying it’ll happen on one of those listed days!!

9 minutes ago, JodiRose said:

Dang, Nick and I liked the Top 11 Round (aka the Judges’ Song Contest) last season! Hope they will plan for a good Disney night to happen on one of the Sundays. 🙏🏻 I LOVE Disney night, so I’m hoping and praying it’ll happen on one of those listed days!!

I lovedddd the Judge's Song Contest as well! It was fun to watch the contestants choose between the songs they were given and guess which Judge picked each choice. Definitely one of Idol's best creative choices in the ABC era. 

I am not a fan of Disney Night just because it feels like it's been run through the ground at this point. It would be fun if they could switch it up and maybe do Disney duets or group performances rather than a whole night of solo Disney performances. 

1 hour ago, KelseyW said:

Hanson night or 90's/2000's night would be nice. Not going to happen because they have fan events happening in May... lol :( 

I dont foresee a 90's/2000's night theme, but they could accomplish something similar by bringing back the "Songs From The Year You Were Born" theme. The contestant age eligibility range is from 1993 to 2007 so there could be a good variety of nostalgic songs from those eras!

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 8:01 PM, m1key said:

I lovedddd the Judge's Song Contest as well! It was fun to watch the contestants choose between the songs they were given and guess which Judge picked each choice. Definitely one of Idol's best creative choices in the ABC era. 

I am not a fan of Disney Night just because it feels like it's been run through the ground at this point. It would be fun if they could switch it up and maybe do Disney duets or group performances rather than a whole night of solo Disney performances. 

Even though I didn't love some of the song choices that the Judges came up with for the contestants to sing/potentially sing, I, too, really enjoyed that episode last season overall and would love to see them do something like that again.

And I could do without another Disney night as well. All I ask is if they must do another one, can we at least hear songs sung that haven't been covered yet before on Disney night? There are plenty that still haven't been sung that the contestants could cover.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/american-idol-612-top-20-4-23/

I bring bad news... It's going from Top 26, to Top 20, to Top 12. Bloodbath incoming! The Top 20 episode is also going to be 3 hours long, like last season 💀

I mean in some way's this is good because we will be getting more performances from the top half of the contestants for the remaining episodes, but that 20-12 cut is going to HURT!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, m1key said:

I bring bad news... It's going from Top 26, to Top 20, to Top 12. Bloodbath incoming! The Top 20 episode is also going to be 3 hours long, like last season 💀

I mean in some way's this is good because we will be getting more performances from the top half of the contestants for the remaining episodes, but that 20-12 cut is going to HURT!

Oh wow!  😲

23 minutes ago, m1key said:

Oh boy. We’re gonna lose a lot of early favorites I’m sure. It doesn’t help that I think this is the best cast in years. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, m1key said:

What?! I'm hoping this won't mean an all-male Top 12, but TPTB would be outraged if that happened.

23 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

Oh boy. We’re gonna lose a lot of early favorites I’m sure. It doesn’t help that I think this is the best cast in years. 

I agree, and I’m seeing many who are saying the same thing about it being the best cast in years, even Clark Beckham in his Idol podcast. The bloodbath will be brutal. 

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, CandiceFan12 said:

What?! I'm hoping this won't mean an all-male Top 12, but TPTB would be outraged if that happened.

If you mean an-male finale, that can happen.  In addition to Iam and Colin, Oliver and Tyson are very popular.  They have gotten good edits and lots of camera time.

24 minutes ago, CandiceFan12 said:

Even in a world where this is a possibility (there's not 💀), the judges are likely going to have Wildcards to select 2-4 members of the Top 12. I don't see TPTB giving ALL the power to the audience with such a big cut. 

I'm predicting that the Top 26 will have more males go home than females, but Top 20 will have more females go home than males.

1 hour ago, m1key said:

Even in a world where this is a possibility (there's not 💀), the judges are likely going to have Wildcards to select 2-4 members of the Top 12. I don't see TPTB giving ALL the power to the audience with such a big cut. 

I'm predicting that the Top 26 will have more males go home than females, but Top 20 will have more females go home than males.

Same here, with six females and six males in our Top 12.

3 hours ago, mytake1 said:

If you mean an-male finale, that can happen.  In addition to Iam and Colin, Oliver and Tyson are very popular.  They have gotten good edits and lots of camera time.

True, but We also got a great edit and lots of camera time.  If any girl gets into the finale, it’s going to be her.