The conventional wisdom about Leah finishing third will fall flat on Sunday

MalwareDie

When I look at some of the critiques the judges have given Maddie and Leah, it is clear that much like with Maddie, Leah has not been skating by every week and is even doing well enough in votes that the judges sometimes decide to use her performances to hype up the season by talking highly of the group instead of giving her praise.

Lionel on Maddie's God Only Knows: I'm watching you all grow, but tonight, I want the people out there in the audience to understand the only way we're going to get these kids to the front... you've got to vote because the talent is here.  *Filler.* And I want those people out there to vote you guys-vote because that's the only way we're gonna get this talent through.

As you can see, Lionel does talk mostly about Maddie, but he also refers to the group when he says "these kids" and "vote you guys" because he knows Maddie is safe and that he can safely use this moment to talk up the group in general.

Katy on Leah's Heal: What happened to you guys? I mean, we leave you for a couple of nights...

Luke: You guys are going above and beyond anything I ever could have imagined.

Lionel: This class right here is the strongest class ever.

As can be seen again, they all try to big up the group, which shows they know that Leah does not need their assistance to advance further.

Luke on Separate Ways: I mean, there... y'all are going after each other now. I mean this is...

Katy: This might be a little cutthroat.

Luke: Yeah, this is getting... This is-This is happening. It's happening right now in front of us.

Katy: I see dangerous. This is a game.

Lionel: What I was thinking about... how graceful can they all be together. This is a slugfest, okay? You all are now-I mean tit for tat. This is getting ready to get very interesting.

All of the judges here are talking up the competition, which shows Leah is in no danger of going home whatsoever and that the judges were trying to make it appear as though it wasn't obvious that it would be Fritz and Nicolina going home. Katy even saying that she sees something dangerous and that it's a game perhaps shows she knows that Leah is following the David Cook playbook given how David C. revealed what his strategy for the entire season was after he won his season, and surely a lot of Idol superfans who want to go far have educated themselves on that strategy. Those were meta remarks from Katy.

These critiques do not suggest that Leah needs much help voting-wise. She is a front runner in her own right even if Noah ends up winning. I fully expect HunterGirl to end up third on finale night, and while Noah is certainly the favourite to win, Leah is not without a shot at the title.

It certainly won't be HunterGirl that wins. She's the only one I give a 0% shot of becoming the next American Idol, especially with the narrative that she has been performing all her life being contrasted with Noah's situation. Even though Leah has been performing for most of her life as well, that has not been heavily emphasized in the edit like it has been with HunterGirl, and Leah's been edited moreso as having grown up around music all her life, which bodes well for Leah even if that is leading up to a 2nd place finish. Casuals may buy HunterGirl as being the favourite to win, but HunterGirl has to be the fakest favourite to win American Idol I have ever seen. I see her as being an easy 3rd placer.

Edited by MalwareDie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My early faves and who I won the season with for ABC Idol...

Season 16...

1. Cade

2. Catie

3. Maddie

Maddie won.

Season 17...

1. Laine

2. Alejandro from audition till the runner up spot on the finale...

Alejandro got 2nd.

Season 18...

1. Arthur

2. Sam

Sam won.

Season 19...

1. Casey Bishop

No one else...

Season 20...

1. Cole Ritter

2. Ava Maybee

3. Leah Marlene

I STRONGLY feel this one. And it's not 3rd place for her. It's the title or runner up. Both would be super amazing. IMO

I love what you have stated here, and I only hope it comes to pass! ❤️ 

Edited by KelseyW

I do agree on Huntergirl seeming too much like the "Favorite" to actually win, I'm not leaving out that she COULD make 2nd, but I don't think she's going to win at all. 

Leah is the underdog against two country artists, as well as Huntergirl giving me major Gabby Barrett vibes(I looked over that season a bit, and lmao at her not even making 2nd) I do agree that Leah could also still make 3rd, but she has the tools and smarts to pull off at least beating one of the country artists(namely Huntergirl) 

I of course still think Noah could very well win, but talking more so about Leah, I wouldn't count her out at all.

But overall, we'll see what happens, I'll have a stronger decision once they perform and what the song choices are for the Finale. If I think Huntergirl or Leah did enough to make the Top 2 over the other, song choice will be key. 

If Huntergirl wins or gets 2nd I will riot on here. lmao jk (knocks on wood)

She's just not good. IMO Not worthy of even being in the Top 3, but no one on here is ready for that discussion! 🙄

• Like 3

Love Leah but I will be surprised if she escapes 3rd place tomorrow. The similarities between her and Maddie are there but Maddie didn’t get the “annoying/crazy quirky girl with a big personality” edit which made it easier for the audience to take her seriously. Leah isn’t as lucky.

Edited by Daillon
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, KelseyW said:

If Huntergirl wins or gets 2nd I will riot on here. lmao jk (knocks on wood)

She's just not good. IMO Not worthy of even being in the Top 3, but no one on here is ready for that discussion! 🙄

I do think HunterGirl has potential and can be good, but she's been too inconsistent to get a top 2 spot. If she does get in there then good for her, but she wouldn't have done it based on her vocal. Although she seems like a nice girl, so whatever I guess.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bswanson said:

could be a repeat of Maddies season country female is 3rd maddie won now I think Leah wins  

That's my theory. Ah it would be so nice to have something to be happy about. Yes, I'm taking a T.V. show too seriously but oh well! lol

I can't predict who will win. I just know that the south tends to dominate. It probably doesn't matter as much as it did on FOX Idol, but you never know!

3 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Why people care so much about who gets 2nd and who gets 3rd?? There is an special prize for 2nd place or something?? I don't think so 🤔 

Because unlike FOX Idol... The finale will start with a Top 3 and end with a final 2, and then a winner.

Basically no one wants their fave to get 3rd. lol

2 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

Because unlike FOX Idol... The finale will start with a Top 3 and end with a final 2, and then a winner.

Basically no one wants their fave to get 3rd. lol

Fair enough. But getting third is nothing to be ashamed of. You literally got almost the same exposure as the winner and runner-up

• Like 4

Hunter is probably going to be 3rd place, but she'll have the easiest road to a career post idol. Leah will be runner up for some god foresaken reason. I don't get her appeal, but she has a fan base. I don't think she has a place in the industry. Noah will win, because he's a wgwg so of course he'll win. He's talented though. 

21 hours ago, gem2477 said:

Hunter is probably going to be 3rd place, but she'll have the easiest road to a career post idol. Leah will be runner up for some god foresaken reason. I don't get her appeal, but she has a fan base. I don't think she has a place in the industry. Noah will win, because he's a wgwg so of course he'll win. He's talented though. 

Leah has artistry and a brilliant voice!

Nothing to "get."

Hope she wins or finishes 2nd! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, gem2477 said:

People here never got Catie Turner, but she got signed to a major label.  People were convinced that Chayce and Laine were going to make it big.  That didn't happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

People here never got Catie Turner, but she got signed to a major label.  People were convinced that Chayce and Laine were going to make it big.  That didn't happen.

Chayce won on May 23, 2021. That's not really enough time to determine whether he'll "make it big."

43 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

That doesn't mean she won't be successful or get a deal. Anything can happen. It just means she's not really marketable to popular music, which of course, isn't a bad thing. And ew. Someone actually thought Laine would be successful? 

33 minutes ago, RTV said:

Chayce won on May 23, 2021. That's not really enough time to determine whether he'll "make it big."

Benson Boone who dropped out of Idol, released his debut single in Oct of last year.  It has performed way better than Chayce's songs.    Also, Chayce's recent EP was a mess with little promo around it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

This aged like milk 😬

My bad for not assuming that the producers would have Luke warn the country voters about votesplitting, have Lionel lie about HunterGirl winning Round 1 and then giving HunterGirl the most emotional homecoming package by far, removing any mention of depression from Leah's homecoming package, and then EXTENDING the length of the time before voting ends just for HunterGirl so that she could be pushed into the Top 2 spot over Leah. Noah will rout HunterGirl, and it won't even be close. The judges feared that Leah reprising Heal could beat Noah, but nothing HunterGirl does will move the needle against Noah.

Edited by MalwareDie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1