Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

In another unanimous 4-0 vote Battle Royale & Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon have won the duel! Erin Brockovich & Half Nelson have now been eliminated. @FrogLenzen's films have been eliminated so he has first dibs on a writeup. @*Diana will do a writeup on the remaining film.

@Deeee & @~Tom~ can now pm or dm me which two films they'd like to throw into their duel.

@Steven_ also has about 8 more hours to do his writeup for The Wrestler or Mother, and then @*Chris will have to do the other one.

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Duel 3 Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Duel 3 Posted)

THE WRESTLER (2008)

MV5BMTc5MjYyOTg4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDc2MzQwMg@@._V1_.jpg

The Wrestler stars Mickey Rourke as the title character. He's an aging professional wrestler who wants to cling to his glory days in the '80s. His health is deteriorating and his fame is fading. Nonetheless, he wants to keep wrestling, but he suffers a heart attack during a match. His doctor warns him that he nearly died, and he advises him to stop taking steroids and stop wrestling. He is forced to retire, and he takes a job working at a deli counter. While he's struggling to come to terms with the end of his wrestling career, he pursues a relationship with a stripper he meets at the club where she works. She turns him down repeatedly since she can't date customers, but they do form a friendship. She encourages him to reconnect with his estranged daughter. His daughter rebuffs him, but she ultimately gives him a chance and agrees to meet him for dinner. However, after his love interest turns him down again, he gets upset and ends up drinking heavily and snorting cocaine. He ends up sleeping for most of the day the following day, which causes him to miss his dinner with his daughter. She's upset and tells him she never wants to see him again. Circumstances become worse for him after he goes on a rampage at his deli job. A customer recognized him, but he denies it's him. The customer persists, which causes him to slice his hand and quit his job. After he storms out, he decides to reschedule a wrestling match with his former rival. His body cannot handle a wrestling match like this, but he's adamant about seeing it through. Even his love interest quit her job and pleads with him not to wrestle, but he doesn't listen to her. He wants to wrestle, and he believes this match could bring him back the fame and popularity he once had. He feels chest pain during the match, but he still continues and gets ready to perform his signature move, which is a diving headbutt. The film ends as he jumps off the top rope with tears in his eyes and the crowd chanting his name. His fate isn't made obvious, but I think it's safe to assume he dies. Anyway, I have not seen this movie before, but this sounds like a downer after reading about it on Wikipedia. I'm sure it's a well-made movie though, and it seems like Mickey Rourke delivers a stellar performance too. I doubt it's a film I'll seek out to watch myself though. As for what the critics thought, The Wrestler has a 98% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Mickey Rourke gives a performance for the ages in The Wrestler, a richly affecting, heart-wrenching yet ultimately rewarding drama." Mickey Rourke was nominated for many awards for his role in the film, winning the BAFTA and Golden Globe for Best Lead Actor. He lost the Oscar to Sean Penn, but I'm sure there are lots of people who believe he should've won the Oscar too.

By a vote of 3-1 The Princess Diaries & Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street have won the duel! Coyote Ugly & Dreamgirls have now been eliminated. As @~Tom~ nominated these movies he will be responsible for one of these writeups and @Deeee will be responsible for the other.

We’ll move onto the battle rounds after all the writeups are in, preferably in the next 24 hours unless you want some disadvantages!

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Writeups Due)

tumblr_of3d91EfZS1r3741jo1_1280.png

Released in 2009, Mother is a thriller film that was directed by Bong Joon-ho who is best known for Parasite - this film was 4th film as a director.  The film follows a Mother - known simply as the Mother in the film - who is on a mission to find the killer of a young girl after her intellectually disabled son is accused of said murder. Her main goal is to protect her son and ensure that he is freed of this accusation. The film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, and it was well received by critics and went on to be one of the top South Korean film of the year. Personally, I've never seen the film but I am certainly intrigued by the plot, and I was mesmerized by Bon Joon-ho's work with Parasite and I am sure it would be the same with the film - I'll certainly had to my list and check-it-out if I can find it on one of the streaming services that I have.

1 minute ago, *Wallace said:

Sad to see Coyote Ugly and especially Dreamgirls go. :( But happy that they made it this far (well, however far we are into the game, I have no idea).

120ish.

• Thanks 1