Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007 dir. by Tim Burton)

tumblr_n0j2l33X8k1st4uq8o2_500.gif

Once upon a time I considered this one of my favorites movies. But nowadays the movie is unwatchable for me because J*hnny Depp is an awful abuser. I do think this is an example of a good stage musical to film adaptation. I also think this is one of Sondheim's better works, but I am not super well-versed in the general thoughts of the theatre world. Produced by DreamWorks and Warner Bros. Pictures, this adaptation consulted Sondheim extensively during the production phases of the film. Tim Burton had been wanting to make this film since the 80's, which is likely why the film ended up as commercially and critically successful as it did. The screenplay was written by John Logan who had previously penned Gladiator, The Last Samurai, and The Aviator. With prolific producer Richard D. Zanuck at the helm, Sweeney Todd had a pretty established crew, including cast members Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Laura Michelle Kelly. Jamie Campbell Bower, Ed Sanders, and Jayne Wisener round out the cast and all three had previously never worked on a film before. Upon release, the film received critical acclaim for Burton's visual styling of the movie, costume design, production design, and faithfulness to source material. The performances were also lauded. Sweeney Todd earned four Oscar nominations, winning for Best Art Direction. The film made $153.4 million at the box office on a $50 million budget, so it proved to be a financial success as well. As somebody who once loved this film immensely and still loves Helena's take on Mrs. Lovett, this film is being eliminated for no other reason than the lead.

26 minutes ago, Deeee said:

I do think this is an example of a good stage musical to film adaptation.

they did cut like 2 minutes of "A Little Priest" so actually maybe this is an awful adaptation :haha:

(also just through music Angela Lansbury) (Patti Lupone has a good performance for Stephen Sondheim's 80th, but the original is so good)

5 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

really unfortunate for helena bonham carter to have to be compared to angela lansbury

Patti is also fantastic. I mean, I guess I'm open to different interpretations in general but the major motion picture is not where I thought they'd experiment with a soft subdued version of the song lol

1 minute ago, FrogLenzen said:

Patti is also fantastic. I mean, I guess I'm open to different interpretations in general but the major motion picture is not where I thought they'd experiment with a soft subdued version of the song lol

it's probably because HBC can't sing like either of the other two can (which honestly, not a lot of people can!)

LOL I was also about to post Patti doing A Little Priest.

Blood Diamond (2006 dir. by Edward Zwick)

ElaborateHarshAustralianfreshwatercrocod

Shoutout to Djimon Hounsou for being the best part of this just okay film. Unlike with Sweeney Todd, I am not only cutting this movie because of my disdain for the lead actor. But also because Blood Diamond is a run-of-the-mill action thriller film that happens to be about blood diamonds. The acclaim this movie received is mostly due to Hollywood being obsessed with acting like films directed by white men about African history/politics/war/etc. are incredible. As well as Hollywood's obsession with constant creep Le*nardo DiCaprio. An objective take is that the storytelling of Blood Diamond is bad and that the only draws are Hounsou's Oscar nominated performance and Jennifer Connelly's hotness. 

This movie is set during the 1991-2002 Sierra Leone Civil War, which saw the death of at least 50,000 as the Revolutionary United Front with support from special forces of Liberian dictator Charles Taylor's National Patriotic Front of Liberia attempted to overthrow the Joseph Momoh government. The film depicts the atrocities of this war while focusing on the enslavement of Mende people by the RUF to harvest diamonds to fund wartime efforts, as well as a diamond smuggling mission. Blood Diamond was critically well-received upon release, with most praise for the performances of Hounsou and Dicaprio, while the storytelling was criticized. Five Oscar noms and $171.7 million at the box office speak to the success of the film. But the 64/100 on Metacritic and 63% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes highlight my point that the film is good, but not great. Which makes it a fair cut at this point.

14 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

it's probably because HBC can't sing like either of the other two can (which honestly, not a lot of people can!)

LOL I was also about to post Patti doing A Little Priest.

to add, i think in general "soft and subdued" isn't the best read for a stage musical (depending on the musical but certainly not for Sweeney Todd) where you have to reach the back of the theater and don't have your face and voice magnified by 100 in a theater.

Every nominations will be an attack on someone by now... We are almost to the Top 100 mark, and I certainly won't be nominating movies that I like. 

Plus I think the pairings are fairly tame compare to what I could have done if I truly want to do an attack on you or other rankers. 😛 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Every nominations will be an attack on someone by now... We are almost to the Top 100 mark, and I certainly won't be nominating movies that I like. 

Plus I think the pairings are fairly tame compare to what I could have done if I truly want to do an attack on you or other rankers. 😛 

I am don’t seriously think it was an attack, but I will be claiming everything as an attack moving forward for dramatic effect. :dead:

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Battle Posted)

WATER (2005)

MV5BZmQ4ODNjNjctYzkxYS00N2MzLWE0ZTctOGVkYzM2NjRmZDMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODE5NzE3OTE@._V1_.jpg

Water is the third film of Deepa Mehta's Elements trilogy. Fire was the first film, which was released in 1996. Earth was the second film, which was released in 1998. All three films explores various social issues on the Indian subcontinent. Fire dealt with themes surrounding arranged marriages and homosexuality in India. Earth focused on religious strife and the formation of Pakistan. As for Water, this film focuses on the mistreatment of women in India, particularly widows in rural India. Suicide and child marriage are other topics in the film. Water is set in the 1930s and follows a group of impoverished widows living difficult lives in an ashram. The film begins with an eight-year-old girl sent to live in an ashram to live in renunciation after her husband dies. The other women in the ashram are widows and have been sent there to not be financial burdens on their families. As for what the critics thought of this film, Water has a 90% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "this compassionate work of social criticism is also luminous, due to both its lyrical imagery and cast."

Howl's Moving Castle

I actually like this one more than the ones saved. and My husband has made me sit though them all. He would probably die if he knew I was responsible for this movie going out.  There is way too many anime films left in the game so close to the end and there was a very high chance a lot of them would make the top 20 so I guess I took my chance when I had to at-least get one or two out. This movie is admittedly beautiful. It has a very strong story behind it. It received a 87 percent on rotten tomatoes. I had no idea Christian Bale voiced a main character in this film. Anyway nothing personal but these type of films are not my thing. Beautiful imagery and storyline though.

Millennium Actress

I allowed this one to receive the higher of the two rankings for me because it had a higher rotten tomatoes score of 93 percent. The film was released in 2001 to very high praise and success. The movie's plot is based on the story of two documentary filmmakers investigating the life of a retired acting legend. Millennium Actress received the Grand Prize in the Japan Agency of Cultural Affairs Media Arts Festival tying with Spirited Away. In this game though, Spirited Away wins the battle of the two films and remains in the game. This one was not my thing either but again beautiful story telling.