Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

3 hours ago, rdhaley96 said:

Sent. Kind of an underwhelming top 20, ngl. :ph34rwave:

Just now, 1234567890 said:

I like this Top 20, but the cuts of Diamonds, Call Me Maybe, Give Your Heart A Break and What Makes You Beautiful stings. 

I do agree with these statements.  I do like most of the Top 20, but most are songs I could have been fine with missing out. Most of my biggest favorites got cut soo it's not one of my favorite Top 20s..... but that happens sometimes, I suppose.

Some years have Top 20s I love and some years have Top 20s I like.... so it always varies. :haha: 

20. N***** IN PARIS – JAY-Z AND KANYE WEST

maxresdefault.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 2

LILY: 5

WALLACE: 7

DEREK: 8

NICO: 8

ANDY: 10

REI: 10

VICTORIA: 16

COREY: 17

AKSHAR: 20

CHRIS: 20

DIANA: 20

GIGI: 20

QK: 20

RICHARD: 20

STEVEN: 20

ALEX

Blades of Glory's impact...Honestly thank you Lily for advancing this with me because 0% chance it makes the top 20 otherwise.

WALLACE

50hJ.gif

I wasn't sure if I saw this making it to the Top 20 when seeing the list of songs for 2012 but I'm happy to see Jay-Z and Kanye West's collaboration make it through to the Final 20 here. I remember Jay-Z's and Kanye's collabo album being really a big deal and success when it was out, I did really like "Otis," but I felt like "N***** in Paris" took it to another level! I do love this song and think it's a jam, so I still jam to this! :bobo: I do really love and live for that music production and beat here. It's so infectious and hypes up the song well. I also love how Jay and Kanye rap on this song too. Both kill it and do their thing on this song! :yes: 

LMAO I'm gonna have to do a whole lot of censoring to point out my favorite parts so that should be fun. :dead: But from Jay's verse, I do love the parts where he raps:

What's fifty grand to a like me?
(Ball so hard) This ish crazy
Y'all don't know that don't ish faze me
The Nets could go 0 for 82
And I'd look at you like this ish gravy 

It's only right that we'd be fair
Psycho: I'm liable to go Michael, take your pick
Jackson, Tyson, Jordan, Game 6
(Ball so hard) Got a broken clock
Rollies that don't tick-tock 

I'm supposed to be locked up too
If you escaped what I've escaped
You'd be in Paris getting up too

Okay now I do kinda love the chorus and that part of the song also gets me so pumped whenever I hear that part!

Ball so hard wanna fine me
That ish cray, that ish cray, that ish cray
B-ball so hard wanna fine me
That ish cray, that ish cray, that ish cray

:bobo:

Kanye at the start of his verse kills me where he raps:

She said, "'Ye, can we get married at the mall?"
I said, "Look, you need to crawl 'fore you ball
Come and meet me in the bathroom stall
And show me why you deserve to have it all"

The way he drags out his words at the end of each of his lines. CRACKS ME UP. :dead: But then I do love the latter part of his rap where he raps:

Excuse my French, but I'm in France, ah ah, I'm just sayin'
Prince Williams ain't do it right if you ask me
'Cause I was him I would have married Kate and Ashley
What's Gucci, my ? What's Louis, my killer?
What's drugs, my dealer? What's that jacket, Margiela?
Doctors say I'm the illest 'cause I'm suffering from realness

What's gucci my ? What's Louis my killa? :bobo: Sorry but that's MY PART (alongside the chorus). Gets me so pumped and wildin out like a dang fool, tbh. :dead:

But also the ending verse of the song with the Don't let me get in my zone is a really fun part to close out the song. This is a great rap song, for sure! I definitely don't see it ranking well or all that high here. And I wouldn't be surprised if this were to be the song to get the most #20 rankings as I understand this won't appeal to everyone. But I do have to support the lone rap song as much as I can, so I shall do my part with the #7 ranking here.

REI

It’s a great collaboration

COREY

Thank goodness for the two notes that repeat throughout the entire song. You can thank them for this song not being #20. I would call this a rap song, but I think Jay-Z and Kanye are trying to sing.

RICHARD

As a white person, I feel like it’s not my place to comment on the title, but that aside, I haven’t listened to this, nor do I feel like I need to.

STEVEN

I haven't heard this song before. I can't say I liked it after a first listen.

19. A THOUSAND YEARS – CHRISTINA PERRI

2734cf88706a008b8e201bf0e3eca821.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QK: 2

DIANA: 6

STEVEN: 7

ALEX: 9

AKSHAR: 11

RICHARD: 11

GIGI: 12

DEREK: 13

LILY: 14

REI: 16

NICO: 17

ANDY: 18

VICTORIA: 18

WALLACE: 18

CHRIS: 19

COREY: 20

STEVEN

This is a nice, pretty song. I like the lyrics too. Christina delivers this very well. I forgot this was from one of the Twilight movies until I watched the music video.

ALEX

Wait the Twilight in the music video... is this a Twilight song?! No, upon further research this is from a later movie. You will never be the Twilight (2008) soundtrack!!!!!

RICHARD

It’s a pretty love song that everyone seems to play at their weddings (I even accompanied a singer myself at one this last year). The song overall is nothing outstanding, but it accomplishes what it sets out to achieve.

REI

It’s just alright, nowhere near Jar of Hearts and it shouldn’t have me this top 20

WALLACE

OmZw.gif

"A Thousand Years" is a really easy listening and pretty song from Christina Perri. I kinda wish we could have had a battle of the Twilight: Breaking Dawn songs in this Top 20, with this vs. Bruno Mars' "It Will Rain," but the latter just fell short in the votes. :( I know "A Thousand Years" would have won that battle but still. :broken: Hmm, I don't really know which Christina song I prefer between this or "Jar of Hearts," but I guess the latter wins out for me? I don't really know. Christina does sound really beautiful here and sings the song with a lot of heart and passion. I do love the pre-chorus and chorus the most of the song where she sings:

One step closer
I have died every day waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid
I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

Those "one step closer" parts and the different ways she sings them are definitely a highlight of the song. Pretty song from Christina, but it's not really one of those songs I play or listen to a lot compared to the other songs above it.

COREY

It feels like it takes a thousand years to listen to this song. I can appreciate the quality of its gentle melody, but my ears can't forgive its slow tempo.

18. ADORN – MIGUEL

22428-adorn.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 2

ANDY: 7

NICO: 7

REI: 11

ALEX: 12

VICTORIA: 13

CHRIS: 14

DEREK: 14

RICHARD: 14

AKSHAR: 15

COREY: 15

QK: 15

GIGI: 16

STEVEN: 16

DIANA: 17

WALLACE: 17

REI

I liked this one a lot on my first listening.

RICHARD

The effect on his voice just makes this sound like something you’d hear in an elevator, and really, “elevator music” is the best term I could use to describe this song. It’s a nice listen in the “just passing through” sort of way.

COREY

It makes a nice R&B song for your background listening, but there is not much to grab your attention.

STEVEN

I don't think I heard this song before, but I liked it after a first listen. Not enough to seek it out to listen to it again, but I don't mind its inclusion in the Top 20.

WALLACE

ComposedInsecureDotterel-size_restricted.gif

Miguel's "Adorn" wasn't a song I was expecting to see make it to the finals but well done to it. I'm always happy and here to see some male R&B representation as I feel those types are underrated in making it to the finals. Although I don't quite stan Miguel, he is very talented and I do think "Adorn" is a great song from him. This is a very sensual song and Miguel does sell it well with his vocal delivery here. I do like how he takes his time with the opening verse but I like it even more where he starts belting it a bit on those parts where he sings:

Just let my love
Just let my love adorn you
Please baby, yeah
You gotta know
You gotta know
You know that I adore you
Yeah baby

:bobo: 

I especially like those parts where he stretches out some parts like on the "just leeetttt my love" part.

I do really like how Miguel sings the bridge of the song:

Ooh, yeah
The same way that the stars adorn the skies yeah (every night baby)
Oh, look up suga (every night baby)
Now, hey, hey, hey
The same way that my whole world's in your eyes (in your eyes baby)
Ooh, and this time now (and this time baby)

He shows off some really nice falsetto and range towards the end, which is really good! Yeah "Adorn" is such a smooth romantic R&B song and it does kinda give me flashbacks of that classic great 90s R&B music! I have no idea how well this will do as I can see some high and some low ranks for this but curious to see how it does. 

17. TOO CLOSE – ALEX CLARE

65bbe4ccb4edf46e7cfff91bfa7083fd.220x220x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 4

RICHARD: 5

REI: 6

DEREK: 9

VICTORIA: 10

WALLACE: 12

COREY: 13

GIGI: 13

LILY: 13

QK: 14

STEVEN: 15

CHRIS: 16

NICO: 16

AKSHAR: 19

DIANA: 19

ANDY: 20

ALEX

Idk I'm all about ~vibes~ tonight and the vibes are just there for this song.

RICHARD

Just a really solid song. I can’t help but think of Meryl Davis’s Argentine Tango with Val, which definitely helps the track in this ranking, lol.

REI

Oh I like this song but didn’t know it was this one, otherwise I would’ve added to it :haha:

WALLACE

884ceb4d6214d0331ece9565e6583609.300x300

First off, ugh I'm so mad I couldn't find any gifs for this song. :dead: Alex Clare isn't someone I know that much about. I think I just only know of "Too Close" from him, but hey that's all that matters for this game, really. :dead: I do really like this song from him and think it's a great song. I wish I could remember if it was one of those songs that grew on me quickly or if it took some time to grow on me. But Alex has that rigid and tough voice but it sounds good on this song + that proudction/music too. It's such a great combo. I do like how he sings the opening of the song. I especially like how he sings the latter part of the first verse where he sings:

Which way is right, which way is wrong
How do I say that I need to move on?
You know we're heading separate ways

Then the chorus is really good and SO dynamic!

And it feels like I am just too close to love you
There's nothing I can really say
I can't lie no more, I can't hide no more
Got to be true to myself
And it feels like I am just too close to love you
So I'll be on my way

As I mentioned earlier, I really love how the music production meshes with Alex's voice at that chorus. :bobo:

Hmm okay, I do like the verses of this song but nothing is really standing out to me much there. The chorus is just so good and does everything for me to enjoy this. :haha: The music video is also really interesting and fun to watch too. I have no idea how this song will do. Probably not too well but still am curious to see.

COREY

A bit on the slow side, but the desperation in the singing makes this song seem original, and there is good instrumental accompaniment to accentuate the parts that might otherwise be boring.

STEVEN

I never sought out this song to listen to, but I've heard it plenty of times on the radio or commercials on TV. The delivery here is good though, but it's just not one of my favorites.

Oooh I wasn't expecting a set to be posted tonight but yayyy! 😄 

20. Ahh I did predict and expect to "N in Paris" come in last and get sooo many #20s. :haha: I know it's moreso of a polarizing song and not really for everyone. But I'm always here for rap making it soo I don't mind it being here. ^_^ 

19. Fine with "A Thousand Years" ranking, although with "Jar of Hearts" doing so well last year, I thought this would have done better here.

18. Lmaooo not me being one of the lowest rankers for "Adorn." :dead: That's so odd from me, lol. But I do still like this song but am okay with its ranking. Really good but oh so odd how this didn't get any Bottom 3 rankings but comes in at the Bottom 3. :huh: lol at two people calling it the background/elevator music comment.

17. Hmm, I'm a little surprised but also not really surprised with "Too Close" coming in at this spot. Cool song and would have liked it a little higher but not too heartbroken by this ranking either.

#1s revealed: none - Everyone's #1 still remains 😮
#1s left (16): Akshar, Alex, Andy, Chris, Corey, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Lily, Nico, QK, Rei, Richard, Steven, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (9): Akshar, Andy, Chris, Corey, Diana, Gigi, QK, Richard, Steven
#20s left (7): Alex, Derek, Lily, Nico, Rei, Victoria, Wallace