Rei and SYTYCD (Currently on CA2)

.Rei

Rei and SYTYCD

img.jpg?width=824&quality=80

I just want to join the fun.

I don't know for sure what I will be listing but I might start listing the US routines and then go International!

Or maybe I'll do some live rewatch??? Who knows? We'll see. 

Stay Tuned!!!!

Edited by .Rei

• .Rei changed the title to Rei and SYTYCD
  • .Rei changed the title to Rei and SYTYCD (Rewatching US1)

US Season 1

11SYTYCD-1-facebookJumbo.jpg

Week 1 - Top 16 Routines

Nick & Kamilah  - Hip hop - Touch - Blake Anthony & Marty Kudelka

This is better than I remembered. Nick danced it a little too White Boy for my taste but Kamilah did great as expected.

Michelle & Jonnis - Mambo - Caravan - Al*x D*Silva 

Michelle was actually not bad and Jonnis wasn’t as terrible as I remembered, but it is not a great routine nonetheless. 

Sandra & Artem - Lyrical - Nora - Alex Magno 

For two dancers that were out of their style, this was actually pretty solid. Well I assumed Sandra was trained in jazz/lyrical as well so it's natural she did good. Lol at Sandra looking pissed as she heard the judges comments.

Ashle & Jamile - Jive - Jim Dandy - Mary Murphy 

Ugh I always forget how hot I found Jamile during his season :icecreamemoji: Ashle killed this and Jamile was actually pretty solid tbh. A great first performance for these two.

Snow & Allan - Hip hop - Touch - Blake Anthony & Marty Kudelka

It was no doubt the weaker of the two hip hops but they did okay. I must say that Snow was little too ballroom for me at some points but still not bad. The amount of layers of clothes bothered me a bit. Judges hated it.

Melissa & Ryan - Mambo - Caravan - Al*x D*Silva 

They murdered this!! It shouldn't had work but it somehow did. Both nailed the routine and performance. I'm not used to seeing the judges give rational judging but it's nice. So they loved it as they should.

Destini & Blake - Lyrical - Nora - Alex Magno 

Destini saying in the package "It's gonna be important for him to do lifts, since he is a professional dancer" referring to Blake not being able to perform a lift had me lol'ing. The strongest of the two lyrical obviously. Blake really had a great stage presence and Destini was pretty great. Judges loved it and I loved it.

Melody & Craig - Jive - Jim Dandy - Mary Murphy

Ok it wasn’t as terrible as I remembered it but still not great. I found Craig to be stronger than Melody and she was too broadway for me. I prefer the other Jive.

Bottom 3 Solos:

Michelle - Hip hop - Dum Diddly 

She tried to put too many genres in one solo. Jazz, Hip hop, Lyrical and I guess Belly Dancing. I can't not fault her cause she just wanted to impress but it was easily the weaker and less cohesive solo of the night. 

Jonnis - Hip hop - Bebot

I mean it's apparent that he's talented but this solo just wasn't it. Hated it.

Sandra - Tap - Hollaback Girl

I've always really liked this solo even if doesn't have the biggest content of Tap. But Sandra had a magnetic presence and her performance was on point. 

Artem - Rumba - Let me love you

I was too focused on salivating too look at what he danced. Okay he was great and much better than the others guys. He shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Snow - Samba - Din Daa Daa

We all know by now that Snow is an amazing soloist and she just proved it during the first show. Loved it!

Allan - Lyrical Hip Hop - Take you out

It was just alright for me.

Eliminations:

I think Sandra never got a fair chance and was unfairly put in the bottom against the likes of Melody, and then was eliminated over the likes of Michelle. It sucked to see her go as she was more interesting than Michelle. 

Jonnis was the right choice for the boys, so no complaints here. 

Sandra - Tap - (Elimination Solo)

This was just a big F*ck you to everybody and she looked so beautiful doing it. I loved it!

I lived when she said to Mia: "I didn't fail 🙂 "

Jonnis - Hip hop - Bebot - (Elimination Solo)

So this was pretty much the same solo, so my opinion remains the same.

Routine Rankings:

1. Melissa & Ryan’s Mambo

2. Destini & Blake’s Lyrical

3. Nick & Kamilah’s Hip Hop

4. Ashle & Jamile’s Jive

5. Sandra & Artem’s Lyrical (Bottom 3 picked by the judges)

6. Snow & Allan’s Hip hop (Bottom 3 picked by the judges)

7. Melody & Craig’s Jive

8. Michelle & Jonnis’s Mambo (Bottom 3 picked by the judges)

Solos Rankings

1. Snow - Samba - Din Daa Daa

2. Sandra - Tap - (Elimination Solo) (Eliminated)

3. Sandra - Tap - Hollaback Girl (Eliminated)

4. Artem - Rumba - Let me love you

5. Allan - Lyrical Hip Hop - Take you out

6. Michelle - Hip hop - Dum Diddly 

7. & 8. Jonnis - Hip hop - Bebot & Elimination Solo

I think Alan is massively underrated as is Craig.

It’s a shame we didn’t really get to see anyone else who was classed as “bigger” but I also don’t think it was a conscious decision by the judges. I just don’t think there ever were any who were good enough to put through.

7 hours ago, Zoey said:

It’s a shame we didn’t really get to see anyone else who was classed as “bigger” but I also don’t think it was a conscious decision by the judges. I just don’t think there ever were any who were good enough to put through.

to be honest I think those two and Jonnis were the three weaker males in the season so I think the male eliminations were for the most part good during that season.

9 hours ago, Zoey said:

might be true, but I also don't trust the judges when picking the best dancers to make the live shows so who knows if there ever was someone "bigger" really amazing 

Edited by .Rei
  • Like 1

Week 2 - Top 14 

11SYTYCD-1-facebookJumbo.jpg

Top 14 Routines

Snow & Jamile  - Quickstep - It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing) - Glenn Weiss

Why did Allan requested his name out of the hat so Snow couldn't pick her??? 😮 

Snow looked great as expected since it was her specialty and I was surprised that Jamile kept up, I mean he wasn't perfect and his posture was pretty bad but he also didn't completely suck which is more than enough from him. Judges hated Jamile though. Dan calling them boring like if they choreographed that 🙂 Snow sticking up for Jamile :wub:

Destini & Jamile - Lyrical Jazz - A song for you - Mia Michaels

It was really pretty and both did a great job. They nailed it performance wise and technique wise. Loved Destini saying that it wasn't only Blake but her also that contributed to their partnership, you tell em'!!!! Judges sucking up now to Destini :haha:

Melody & Craig - Hip Hop - Tipsy - Sh*ne Sp*rks

This just looked like two lyrical dancers trying to do hip hop and the end result was just not good. Unlike their jive, Melody was the strongest one but all in all it was just not a good routine.

Michelle & Nick - Quickstep - It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing) - Glenn Weiss

This was weaker than the previous quickstep but I think that Nick did a little better than Jamile did, his posture was much better. Michelle was terrible in my opinion, she looked stunning though.

Ashle & Artem - Lyrical Jazz - A song for you - Mia Michaels

Artem is stunning! This piece was pretty much on the same level as the other lyrical. Artem really did great for being a ballroom dancer and Ashle danced it brilliantly. Loved it. Didn't know what Nigel meant about Ashle not showing emotion cause for me, she more than did it. 

Kamilah & Allan - Hip Hop - Tipsy - Sh*ne Sp*rks

Oh okay, so Allan got a little advantage because he was the top vote getter from last week bottom 3, that's the reason he picked Snow to not be on the hat as they had already danced together. Good it wasn't something personal. This was just so much better than the other hip hop, is not even fair to compare them. Kamilah murdered it and Allan did his best routine of the season right there. Really enjoyed this! Having said that, wtf is up with the costume department, hated all the oversize clothes where you cannot really see the movement. Judges loved it and I loved it.

Melissa & Ryan - Salsa - Cubanjam - Al*x D*Silva

So this wasn't nearly as good as last week's Mambo but it wasn't terrible. The routine was definitely more demanding and both dancers at some point didn't look too comfortable doing the steps. It was more evident the lack of technique on Ryan this time around. Having said that I still liked it well enough, but not as much as the judges, who loved it.

Judges Bottom 3 

Snow & Jamile

Melody & Craig

Michelle & Nick

I think I might had have Melissa & Ryan on the bottom instead of Snow & Jamile, just because Snow was really great. But other than those  four routines were the weakest so the judges picked well.

Bottom 3 Solos:

Snow - Cha Cha - And she said

She is really just a great soloist and always makes here solos so damn entertaining.

Jamile - Popping - I can make you dance

Flawless! I've always found Jamile to be one of the best hip hop soloist and he did not disappoint with this one.

Melody - Jazz - You can leave your hat on

Ugh I've always hated this solo. I know Melody's technique is impecable but this is just the type of solo that I just don't enjoy.

Craig - Contemporary - Everything

Again like Melody he has great technique but I don't like his style of contemporary. It was better than Melody's though.

Michelle  - Hip hop - Disco Club

I was never a fan of any of her solos and like her previous one, she just put too many tricks which make the solo to not be cohesive. 

Nick - Contemporary - Storm

I think Nick is considered to be one of the best male contemporary and we can clearly see that in this solo.

Eliminations:

Yay for Snow being the first girl sent to elimination. I think the audience really nailed this result and the right two girls ended up in the bottom and also the right girl left.

Michelle - Hip hop - Disco Club (Elimination Solo)

She sort of changed it a bit but I guess due to her having different clothes. It was not an improvement.

Nick being the first guy sent to safety was expected even if I would have preferred Jamile. Again the audience picked the right guy to leave this week. Lauren was brutal giving the results to him😮

Craig - Contemporary - Everything (Elimination Solo)

So this was pretty much the same solo, so my opinion remains the same.

Routine Rankings:

1. Destini & Blake's Lyrical Jazz

2. Ashle & Artem's Lyrical Jazz

3. Kamilah & Allan's Hip Hop

4. Snow & Jamile's Quickstep (Bottom 3 picked by the judges)

5. Melissa & Ryan's Salsa

6. Michelle & Nick's Quickstep (Bottom 3 picked by the judges)

7. Melody & Craig's Hip Hop (Bottom 3 picked by the judges)

Solos Rankings

1. Jamile - Popping

2. Snow - Cha Cha 

3. Nick - Contemporary

4. Craig - Contemporary (Eliminated)

5. Melody - Jazz

6. Michelle - Hip Hop (Eliminated)

3 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Sandra is out here literally doing tap solos and then Nigel forgets he ever had a tapper on the show.

Rei you should also post reviews of what Lauren wears each week lmao

I just assumed she was wearing the same outfit every week 

3 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Sandra is out here literally doing tap solos and then Nigel forgets he ever had a tapper on the show.

I feel like the show forgets season 1 happened outside of acknowledging Nick and Melody. Kinda similar to DWTS forgetting season 1 outside of Kelly Monaco. :haha: 

• Like 1