Fuz Reviews Season 20: A Pretentious The Voice Anthology

peachfuz

"I swear I thought I was reading Slezak at one point, analogies and all. I do disagree with you on a few placements, but very well detailed and explained. No joke, you might need to consider reviewing the performances next week if you don't mind."

- @Misirlouin the "Rank the Top 16 + 4WKO Contenders (S20)" thread

Good idea!

I've been watching The Voice since its inception. Like, we're talking since Season 2, the days of Juliet Simms and Jermaine Paul. Needless to say, I've seen a lot of performances, and I've had a lot of thoughts about them. That said, I've never really had an actual outlet to share my thoughts and criticisms about the show before; I didn't really think there was anywhere I could, considering I'm exactly working at a television journalism site at the moment. However, I figured making at thread for my review of the show this season might be a fun little opportunity for me to do all the whining and bitching performance examination that I please!

As a note, this thread is being made only a few days before the Live Playoffs, so I don't/won't have write-ups for the audition, battles, or knockout rounds of this season. I do have preconceived notions, however! So I'm at least going into the live shows with a solid understanding of who the performers are, what I think about them, and how capable they've shown themselves to be thus far. 

So, yeah, I'll be doing performance reviews of each episode for this season moving forward. This would probably be a lot more fun if the format of week-to-week eliminations stuck around from past seasons, but I am nonetheless looking forward to throwing my thoughts out there! Hopefully I don't get doxxed! 😄 

LINKS TO EPISODE REVIEWS:

SEASON 20 PLAYOFFS - Pity For Pity's Sake

Edited by peachfuz
  • Like 16

Just now, QueenCami said:

Charlie Mason except the reviews are well-thought out and fit with IDF's biases lmao, I'm excited!

Haha, I can't promise I'll fit with the biases. I haven't been on IDF for all that long, and I think some of my preferences or reservations may differ from the larger population's. All that means is it'll be all more interesting to see how people react to my thoughts, and if they agree or disagree.

• Like 3

Nice! Thanks for taking the suggestion. We´ll see how your grades (assuming you´re grading) stack up to most of what IDF thinks. I already like you better than Charlie because you actually give reasons for your placements instead of letting bias shine through.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, peachfuz said:

Haha, I can't promise I'll fit with the biases. I haven't been on IDF for all that long, and I think some of my preferences or reservations may differ from the larger population's. All that means is it'll be all more interesting to see how people react to my thoughts, and if they agree or disagree.

Yeah all good if your opinions don't match up, I was going off of what you posted yesterday which seemed to be more similar to what IDF thinks than Charlie's rather interesting rankings. However, I think it's more interesting if your rankings do differ a little, it'll make things a little less predictable.

I'm very excited!

• Like 1

Very excited for this thread. Can’t wait for better grades than Charlie Mason and more interesting commentary (I miss the Slezak days of Tvline. His reviews were very interesting in terms of his writing and the original ranking reminded me of these). Also curious to how harsh/easy your scale will be (Slezak gave less A’s than Charlie, but he also had way less head-scratching grades)

• Like 2

oh yeah this might be good to do before anything else

FUZ'S AUDITION GRADES:

Zae Romeo: A
Cam Anthony: A
Victor Solomon: A

Corey Ward: A-
Avery Roberson: A-
Dana Monique: A-
Halley Greg: A-
Raine Stern: A-
Jose Figueroa Jr.: A-

Ryleigh Modig: B+
Zania Alaké: B+

Savanna Woods: B+
Gean Garcia: B+
Lindsay Joan: B+
Carolina Rial: B+
Awari: B+
Durell Anthony: B+
Deion Warren: B
Pete Mroz: B
Keegan Farrell: B
Pia Renee: B
Ainae: B
Rachel Mac: B
Jordan Matthew Young: B

Kenzie Wheeler: B
Bradley Sinclair: B
Denisha Dalton: B
Savanna Chestnut: B
Ethan Lively: B
Andrew Marshall: B-
Anna Grace: B-
Connor Christian: B-
Ciana Pelekai: B-
Aaron Konzelman: B-
Devan Blake Jones: B-
Rio Doyle: C+
Gihanna Zoë: C+
Christine Cain: C
Emma Caroline: C
JD Casper: C

FUZ'S BATTLE GRADES:

Ryleigh Modig (A-) VS. Gean Garcia (B)

Connor Christian (B+) VS. Aaron Konzelman (B-)

Dana Monique (A-) VS. Devan Blake Jones (B)

Pia Renee (B) VS. Christine Cain (C+)

Jose Figueroa Jr. (B) VS. Awari (B+)

Ethan Lively (B+) VS. Avery Roberson (B)

Cam Anthony (A) VS. Emma Caroline (B-)

Gihanna Zoë (B+) VS. Halley Greg (B)

Zania Alaké (B+) VS. Durell Anthony (C+)

Jordan Matthew Young (B-) VS. Keegan Ferrell (B)

Zae Romeo (A-) VS. Lindsay Joan (A-)

Corey Ward (B+) VS. Savanna Woods (A-)

Victor Solomon (A-) VS. Deion Warren (B)

Anna Grace (B-) VS. Ainae (B)

Raine Stern (C+) VS. Andrew Marshall (B+)

Pete Mroz (B+) VS. Savanna Chestnut (C)

Kenzie Wheeler (B+) VS. JD Casper (B)

Rachel Mac (C+) VS. Bradley Sinclair (B-)

Rio Doyle (C+) VS. Carolina Rial (B)

FUZ'S KNOCKOUT GRADES:

Corey Ward (A) VS. Ryleigh Modig (B-)

Jordan Matthew Young (B) VS. Ethan Lively (B-)

Pia Renee (A) VS. Ciana Pelekai (C+)

Dana Monique (A) VS. Keegan Ferrell (C+)

Victor Solomon (B+) VS. Gean Garcia (B-)

Pete Mroz (B) VS. Andrew Marshall (C+)

Rachel Mac (A-) VS. Zae Romeo (A)

Kenzie Wheeler (A-) VS. Avery Roberson (B)

Zania Alaké (A) VS. Rio Doyle (B-)

Cam Anthony (A) VS. Connor Christian (C-)

Gihanna Zoë (A) VS. Anna Grace (B+)

Emma Caroline (C)

Devan Blake Jones (C+)

Carolina RIal (B-)

Savanna Woods (B)

Edited by peachfuz
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Even the grades I disagree with are about half a grade within what I would give (If I would rate a B performance a B+ it’s still close enough in my book). Not like when Charlie is more than a full grade off sometimes

13 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Very excited for this thread. Can’t wait for better grades than Charlie Mason and more interesting commentary (I miss the Slezak days of Tvline. His reviews were very interesting in terms of his writing and the original ranking reminded me of these). Also curious to how harsh/easy your scale will be (Slezak gave less A’s than Charlie, but he also had way less head-scratching grades)

Slezak had no problem giving F´s from time to time as well. I think I´ve only seen Charlie give two F´s (Esera Tuaolo in playoffs and Carter Lloyd Horne in semifinals).

Just now, Misirlou said:

Slezak had no problem giving F´s from time to time as well. I think I´ve only seen Charlie give two F´s (Esera Tuaolo in playoffs and Carter Lloyd Horne in semifinals).

Esera Tuaolo (playoffs), Dylan Hartigan (playoffs), Jarred Matthew (battle), Carter Lloyd Horne (top 8), Shane Q (top 10)

• Thanks 1

He gave Shane Q’s Caribbean Queen an F (well deserved) and Dylan Hartigan got an F in one of his playoffs and Jarred Matthew in his shortclipped battle. Don’t remember many others though

3 minutes ago, peachfuz said:

Esera Tuaolo (playoffs), Dylan Hartigan (playoffs), Jarred Matthew (battle), Carter Lloyd Horne (top 8), Shane Q (top 10)

I think Dylan´s wasn´t worthy of an F. Probably a C- for me, but Charlie made it clear since the start that he didn´t like Dylan.

Can´t really argue with the other ones, although Jared´s clip was way too short to be graded.

Slezak gave Aaron Gibson an F in semifinals. That was undeserved in my opinion as well.

Edited by Misirlou

Just now, British Man said:

Personally, when I think "F Performances" I think of Jamal Corrie in the battles. 

Just looked it up and Charlie gave him a D+. I´m not prone to giving contestants an F, but damn, I don´t think he hit a single note in tune. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

Just looked it up and Charlie gave him a D+. I´m not prone to giving contestants an F, but damn, I don´t think he hit a single note in tune. 

Bay-bÉ AAAh'vbeen I've been losing slaaaayp

• Haha 3

• istersay changed the title to Fuz Reviews Season 20: A Pretentious The Voice Anthology
4 minutes ago, British Man said:

Bay-bÉ AAAh'vbeen I've been losing slaaaayp

That’s one of my least favorite battles I have watched. I didn’t like Levi but he easily won that battle

As for Ayanna, I would have given that an F. It was the worst Live performance that season and proved why the comeback stage was a failure, but Charlie Mason didn’t give any performance an F that season (he gave a D- to Reagan’s Semifinal IS and Keith’s Playoff though)

10 hours ago, peachfuz said:

How does one give Jarred Matthew's shortclipped battle an F?? He sang like a single line and it didn't even sound bad :blink:

10 hours ago, peachfuz said:

oh yeah this might be good to do before anything else

FUZ'S AUDITION GRADES:

Zae Romeo: A
Cam Anthony: A
Victor Solomon: A

Corey Ward: A-
Avery Roberson: A-
Dana Monique: A-
Halley Greg: A-
Raine Stern: A-
Jose Figueroa Jr.: A-

Ryleigh Modig: B+
Zania Alaké: B+

Savanna Woods: B+
Gean Garcia: B+
Lindsay Joan: B+
Carolina Rial: B+
Awari: B+
Durell Anthony: B+
Deion Warren: B
Pete Mroz: B
Keegan Farrell: B
Pia Renee: B
Ainae: B
Rachel Mac: B
Jordan Matthew Young: B

Kenzie Wheeler: B
Bradley Sinclair: B
Denisha Dalton: B
Savanna Chestnut: B
Ethan Lively: B
Andrew Marshall: B-
Anna Grace: B-
Connor Christian: B-
Ciana Pelekai: B-
Aaron Konzelman: B-
Devan Blake Jones: B-
Rio Doyle: C+
Gihanna Zoë: C+
Christine Cain: C
Emma Caroline: C
JD Casper: C

FUZ'S BATTLE GRADES:

Ryleigh Modig (A-) VS. Gean Garcia (B)

Connor Christian (B+) VS. Aaron Konzelman (B-)

Dana Monique (A-) VS. Devan Blake Jones (B)

Pia Renee (B) VS. Christine Cain (C+)

Jose Figueroa Jr. (B) VS. Awari (B+)

Ethan Lively (B+) VS. Avery Roberson (B)

Cam Anthony (A) VS. Emma Caroline (B-)

Gihanna Zoë (B+) VS. Halley Greg (B)

Zania Alaké (B+) VS. Durell Anthony (C+)

Jordan Matthew Young (B-) VS. Keegan Ferrell (B)

Zae Romeo (A-) VS. Lindsay Joan (A-)

Corey Ward (B+) VS. Savanna Woods (A-)

Victor Solomon (A-) VS. Deion Warren (B)

Anna Grace (B-) VS. Ainae (B)

Raine Stern (C+) VS. Andrew Marshall (B+)

Pete Mroz (B+) VS. Savanna Chestnut (C)

Kenzie Wheeler (B+) VS. JD Casper (B)

Rachel Mac (C+) VS. Bradley Sinclair (B-)

Rio Doyle (C+) VS. Carolina Rial (B)

FUZ'S KNOCKOUT GRADES:

Corey Ward (A) VS. Ryleigh Modig (B-)

Jordan Matthew Young (B) VS. Ethan Lively (B-)

Pia Renee (A) VS. Ciana Pelekai (C+)

Dana Monique (A) VS. Keegan Ferrell (C+)

Victor Solomon (B+) VS. Gean Garcia (B-)

Pete Mroz (B) VS. Andrew Marshall (C+)

Rachel Mac (A-) VS. Zae Romeo (A)

Kenzie Wheeler (A-) VS. Avery Roberson (B)

Zania Alaké (A) VS. Rio Doyle (B-)

Cam Anthony (A) VS. Connor Christian (C-)

Gihanna Zoë (A) VS. Anna Grace (B+)

Emma Caroline (C)

Devan Blake Jones (C+)

Carolina RIal (B-)

Savanna Woods (B)

Love the rankings, but did Rachel Mac and Keegan Ferrell really have better auditions than Gihanna, Denisha, and Anna 😂 . 

2 minutes ago, ikwonic said:

Love the rankings, but did Rachel Mac and Keegan Ferrell really have better auditions than Gihanna, Denisha, and Anna 😂 . 

His audition was really good. I understand why it was ranked higher than Gihanna, Denisha, and Anna's tbh.

1 minute ago, Bk1234 said:

His audition was really good. I understand why it was ranked higher than Gihanna, Denisha, and Anna's tbh.

I'm strongly biased due to my hate of (most) Maroon 5 songs, so I'll stay out of this conversation 😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ikwonic said:

How does one give Jarred Matthew's shortclipped battle an F?? He sang like a single line and it didn't even sound bad :blink:

Knowing what the original version of the song sounds like, it’s understandable. (He also gave Tyke a D)

12 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Knowing what the original version of the song sounds like, it’s understandable. (He also gave Tyke a D)

I love the original, but it was a bit ruthless to give him an F without hearing him for more that 10 seconds. 

• Like 2