Which thing makes a Voice winner "deserving" or not?

Gustavo527

I was reading the thread "TVUS20 male or female winner this season?" and i noticed an interesting discussion there about the last three winners being "deserving" or "not deserving" of their victory. So, instead of going off-topic and discussing it on there, i decided to make this thread to discuss about  what you guys think makes a winner "deserving" of their win? Let's discuss

Edited by Gustavo527

There’s no right answer to this, but from my perspective I would say having a consistent run with some “moments” throughout is what makes them “deserving” for me. Considering the talent has been lacking in most of the later seasons my bar is lower.

We are all very biased tho. Per example I don’t think Chevel or Jake were great winners in my eyes, but I’m not the biggest country fan so that might contribute to those opinions (I still think Jake and Chevel to a lesser extent were vocally inconsistent tho)

I'm sure everyone will have an opinion on this but for me a "deserving" winner is one that wins fair and square.  When contestants are pimped to give the departing coaches a win (Insert 1 to 3 names here) I'd say they are talented but undeserving winners.  Few could confidently say they would have won without the pimping (parting gift). 

There are also a few winners I didn't care for but...I can't say they didn't deserve to win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

I'm sure everyone will have an opinion on this but for me a "deserving" winner is one that wins fair and square.  When contestants are pimped to give the departing coaches a win (Insert 1 to 3 names here) I'd say they are talented but undeserving winners.  Few could confidently say they would have won without the pimping (parting gift). 

There are also a few winners I didn't care for but...I can't say they didn't deserve to win.

#laurenwasrobbed

• Like 4

I think that a contestant should have moments, as well. Consistency isn't enough for me because an artist can be consistent yet underwhelming. There need to be big moments, as well. 

By this metric:

Jake Hoot was a deserving winner IMO because of Cover Me Up and Desperado and his consistency.

Chevel Shepherd was a deserving winner because of Traveling Solider and Blue (though I'd list more) and her consistency.

Maelyn Jarmon was a deserving winner because of [insert all of her performances cause they were pretty much all exceptional] and her consistency.

Todd Tilghman was a deserving winner because of Anymore (i guess??) and his consistency. This one's more on the edge for me.

Carter was a very deserving winner because of You Say and Rainbow Connection and his impressive consistency.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

Because it was rigged, no one can deny that.

14 hours ago, Spurrious said:

It was straight out thievery...not your run of the mill pimping or busing.    

I like Lauren too and she would've been a deserving winner just as Chris. But I don't think pimping is the appropriate word for Chris. Lauren was in the premiere of Blinds and Battles. She closed the night for her team. As for Chris he was only in the premiere of KOs and he didn't even close the night for his team. It was actually Stephanie who closed it. I do agree he had one or two more pimp spots that Lauren after the POs but Lauren's pimp spots during the Taped rounds equalize that.

Also, Chris didn't even need pimping in order to win. Superstition just sealed the deal for him. I think some of Lauren's song choices were not great for this type of competition(Just like Ricky's) Even thought they did well with it but it didn't allow them to gain more votes.

Btw both were equally deserving in eyes for different reasons. Lauren is actually one of those four country acts that I stanned in the 19 seasons of the voice.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

I like Lauren too and she would've been a deserving winner just as Chris. But I don't think pimping is the appropriate word for Chris. Lauren was in the premiere of Blinds and Battles. She closed the night for her team. As for Chris he was only in the premiere of KOs and he didn't even close the night for his team. It was actually Stephanie who closed it. I do agree he had one or two more pimp spots that Lauren after the POs but Lauren's pimp spots during the Taped rounds equalize that.

Also, Chris didn't even need pimping in order to win. Superstition just sealed the deal for him. I think some of Lauren's song choices were not great for this type of competition(Just like Ricky's) Even thought they did well with it but it didn't allow them to gain more votes.

Btw both were equally deserving in eyes for different reasons. Lauren is actually one of those four country acts that I stanned in the 19 seasons of the voice.

Lauren didn’t have any pimp spots in the taped rounds. 

She was second in her blind, and opened the episodes for both her battle and KO. For her battle, the edit focused on Brennley and the steal, including the coaches all singing Happy Birthday to her on the stage. Then her KO was held over to the final episode against a twice montaged contestant, which left us all wondering if they were even going to air it. 

Zero pimp spots for Lauren. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

She was second in her blind, and opened the episodes for both her battle and KO. For her battle, the edit focused on Brennley and the steal, including the coaches all singing Happy Birthday to her on the stage. Then her KO was held over to the final episode against a twice montaged contestant, which left us all wondering if they were even going to air it. 

The inconvenient truths staring down the TPTB apologists.

• Like 2

LOL We're still talking about this. I'll just say this, and you can agree with me or not if that's the case, it's fine.

There's no denying that Chris has way more pimping and TPTB clearly wanted him to win, but there's no concievable proof that TPTB actually manipulated the numbers in order to give him the victory, and I'm not talking about Itunes assumptions. As I said previously, it would be the end of The Voice if that were discovered.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Ok but she closed the PO night. I don't think the difference is too large and he was very over the top pimped like everyone says. His pimp spots were like two or three. But yeah this is a fact that tptb clearly wanted him to win and that's why they gave him solid songs week after week but some of Lauren's song choices didn't help.

I wonder where is @Hamza Tufail I remember when he newly joined, he used to fight with everyone who say Lauren was robbed.😂😂😂

8 minutes ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

Ok but she closed the PO night. I don't think the difference is too large and he was very over the top pimped like everyone says. His pimp spots were like two or three. But yeah this is a fact that tptb clearly wanted him to win and that's why they gave him solid songs week after week but some of Lauren's song choices didn't help.

I wonder where is @Hamza Tufail I remember when he newly joined, he used to fight with everyone who say Lauren was robbed.😂😂😂

She didn’t close the playoff episode either.....

She closed for her team, which went 2nd. Then they went to the commercial break, came back, and voting was immediately closed. So, her fans weren’t given much time to get their votes in. It obviously worked out, but in that format, I think middle of the order or 2nd to last is best. Here are the others who closed for their teams: J Chosen, Jesse Larson, Stephanie Rice. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

She didn’t close the playoff episode either.....

She closed for her team, which went 2nd. Then they went to the commercial break, came back, and voting was immediately closed. So, her fans weren’t given much time to get their votes in. It obviously worked out, but in that format, I think middle of the order or 2nd to last is best. Here are the others who closed for their teams: J Chosen, Jessie Larson, Stephanie Rice. 

Oh yeah that's what I meant. She closed for her team. My point is that Chris wasn't as much Hella pimped as people here say. I think Hype is the appropriate word for Chris. Just like Jordan Smith who was not the most pimped. It was Barrett but people mixed hype and pimping.

Again I'm saying I love Lauren too. I would've been 100% satisfied with her win too. I just think Chris doesn't deserves the hate that he gets here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daillon said:

The only instance in the show where we can say The Voice robbed someone was back in S6’s semifinals IS.

Btw I’m sure at this point everyone is joking (or at least I hope so lol)

Lol you are so optimistic but that ain't truth.

26 minutes ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

It's because I have realized that I do the exact same thing when it comes to my favorites. 😂

I have no problem with anyone saying she's robbed or tptb did everything in their power to protect Chris. The only thing where I disagree is when people say the voting was rigged.

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Like 1