Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART ONE

21. Check On It (2005 prod. by Beyoncé + Swizz Beatz, feat. Bun B + Slim Thug)

Album: #1s + B'Day

tumblr_p4x4wehOy91w8xwbfo1_500.gifv

US Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #1

United States Certification (RIAA): Platinum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_on_It

RANKINGS:

Dee: 13

Rei: 13

Elliott: 16

Derek: 20

Denise: 12

Kaley: 19

Chris: 12

Andy: 14

Steven: 10

Wally: 6

JC: 14

Lily: 15

Megan: 17

Victoria: 15

Public: 21

Final Average = 14.467

COMMENTS:

Dip it, pop it, twerk it, stop it, check on me tonight.

A full-on booty-shaking anthem, Check On It is an amazing assertion of Beyoncé's signature confidence. The easiness with which she sings her lyrics in this song is what stands out the most in this track. But there is also the heavy baseline, the strings, the wind instruments, which all come together to make this such a well-composed banger. While I think other songs are more important in highlighting the strengths of her talent, Check On It is a perfect example of just how great she has always been! 

On 7/3/2020 at 12:05 PM, *Wallace said:

tumblr_p51ut3h3zS1uvkt1so2_540.gif

Omgg my lone choice to get into the finals. :dead: But it’s… ~fine as I do love many of the songs more of what others selected over a few of my own (namely Scared of Lonely+Hip Hop Star although I do love those - but still devastated to lose “Deja Vu” and “Single Ladies”). I am pleasantly surprised and happy that “Check On It” made it to the finals though. This is her song from The Pink Panther movie and it makes sense that the music video is all in pink. I love all of her different looks and outfits in all shades of pink. But to the song - this is a fun, flirty, cheeky and sexy song…. and of course i absolutely adore it! :wub:Ladies let em check up on it, watch it while he check up on it. Dip it, pop it, twerk it, stop it, check on me tonight. :bobo: Loving her power vocals and ad-libs at the end of this too.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:26 AM, *Chris said:

I totally forgot how much I like this song; such an underrated gem.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:03 PM, FrogLenzen said:

I like it well enough, even though the chorus gets a little repetitive. My least favorite from this album in the Top 21, and the album already had lots of reps so I offered to vote it out. No dice. 

On 7/2/2020 at 7:42 AM, .Rei said:

Fun and cheeky

On 7/2/2020 at 10:27 PM, miss denise said:

It gets a nostalgic :bobo:from me! 

On 7/2/2020 at 10:34 AM, Elliott said:

Fun.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:35 AM, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

I always forget this song, but it’s really fun and such a throwback.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:29 PM, JC said:

I feel so nostalgic when I listen to this song. This is classic Beyonce and reminds me of high school days, omgod I am such an old man.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:23 AM, #jeah said:

Super fun song

On 7/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, Steven_ said:

Favorite part:

🎵 Ooh, boy, you looking like you like what you see
Won't you come over and check up on it
I'ma let you work up on it
Ladies let 'em check up on it, watch it while he check up on it
Dip it, pop it, twerk it, stop it, check on me tonight
🎵

On 7/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, *Lily said:

Such a fun song and video. It's a sexy, fun and flirty performance from Beyoncé where she really shines. Super happy to see it make it to the end-game, a well-deserved finish! I also still think a lot about the second verse and the conversation around how whether this was Beyoncé or Kelly Rowland singing. Every time I listen to it, it sounds like it could be either of them!

20. Haunted (2013 prod. by Beyoncé + Boots)

Album: Beyoncé

tumblr_mxvtu7mnka1qcqqpjo1_500.gif

US Billboard Hot 200: #1

US Album Certification (RIAA): 2x Platinum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_(Beyoncé_song)

RANKINGS:

Dee: 5

Rei: 11

Elliott: 9

Derek: 9

Denise: 16

Kaley: 18

Chris: 4

Andy: 17
Steven: 21

Wally: 18

JC: 19

Lily: 11

Megan: 11

Victoria: 19

Public: 16

Final Average = 13.600

COMMENTS

"I would like to thank the judges for picking me
My parents who I love
I love you Houston

And I've been drifting off on knowledge
Cat-calls on cat-walks, man these women getting solemn
I could sing a song for a Solomon or Salamander
We took a flight at midnight and now my mind can't help but wander
How come?
Spoon-fed pluralized eyes to find the beaches in the forest
When I'm looking off the edge, I preach my gut it can't help but ignore it
I'm climbing up the walls 'cause all the shit I hear is boring
All the shit I do is boring
All these record labels boring
I don't trust these record labels I'm torn
All these people on the planet
Working 9 to 5, just to stay alive
The 9 to 5, just to stay alive
All the people on the planet
Working 9 to 5 just to stay alive
How come?"

The entire opening section of this song, titled "Ghost," is one of the most bone-chilling and moving entrances into a piece of music. Period. The dismay she feels within the music industry, the emptiness of the art that music executives want her to produce, the chaotic direction of the music industry. Everything is so brilliantly highlighted in just the opening of the song! Especially the use of an incorrect pronunciation of her name as a child. The way Beyoncé crafts a story from youth to adulthood, highlighting the frustrations she has encountered and starting to lay the foundation of an origin story for the artist that she would become. 

A stream of consciousness rap! Inspired by Aphex Twin! THE PRODUCTION OF THIS SONG IS SO HIGH QUALITY HOW DARE YOU ALL TRY TO CUT THIS BRILLIANT SONG. What I truly love about Haunted is just how experimental Beyoncé is within the six minute range. The song ranges from experimentalism to spoken word to rap to trip-hop to hip-hop to R&B. THE RANGE! The ambient beats, the reverbed vocals, the heavy bass, the creepy keyboard, the pounding of the club rhythm, the bassline, the ghostly effects. The composition of this song is so beautifully done. 

The transition from Ghost to Haunted is super well-done. Though I prefer the Ghost section of the song, I really love the way in which Beyoncé explores all the facets of her character on her self-titled album. Beyoncé becomes frank about all of her sexual desires, all of the temptations of sex...really ties in to her discussion of temptations within the music industry during the first half of the song. Really goes to show how carefully Beyoncé crafts her work. With a purpose.

This song just feels like a really deep look into her mind, her body, her soul, and her spirit. Though she seems to be embracing her sense of self, there is clearly evidence of fragility in her spirit. Not only her most adventurous song from a composition standpoint, but I really admire the way she tackles issues of artistic integrity in the world, as well as peers into her thoughts on a life much different from her own. Maybe one where she could not handle the chaos of music as a business. She also manages to shed the more catchy, sexual songs that she had released earlier in her career and shrugs off the labels pinned to her by music labels themselves and critics. 

Do not even get me started on the music video. LOL. Truly one of my favorite Beyoncé songs ever, and I am very happy to see it in the Top 20. Even if this low placement is saddening. LOL.

Another song which really has grown on me as time has passed and has become probably one of my faves from the self-titled record. The transition from Ghost into Haunted is really great and the video is also super strong, I love that there are similarities to Madonna's "Justify My Love" in there. It's a super unique record which stands out on the album.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:06 PM, JC said:

I like the music video a lot - it's very interesting. And the song is interesting too, just lower on my list compared to the other songs.

source.gif

The song that nearly got cut but I am glad it didn’t as I do really like “Haunted.” Sad to have it this low at #18 but I just like the others more. I do love how haunting and sexy this song is. It has this dark, eerie feel to it with a trippy dancey feel to it. I like the slow haunting start but then love how it builds up getting funky and dancey. :bobo:

Favorite part:

🎵 It's what you do
It's what you see
I know if I'm haunting you, you must be haunting me
🎵

Another song that I want to like more than I actually do. Super interesting production, but ultimately I find it a tad...boring?

Clearly people do not like this song so ranking it high for that reason. But also, it is one of my favourite of hers - I love the feel of the song & she absolutely slay the vocals on it. 

I actually love this song, but so many others fall above it for me.

I like this one more with each listen.

Slailee Payne and shirtless Robert Roldan danced to this. 😘

Love it 

19. End of Time (2011 prod. by Beyoncé, Diplo, The-Dream, + Switch)

Album: 4

EOTofficialCover.png

US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100: #13

US Billboard 200: #1

US Album Certification (RIAA): Platinum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_Time_(song)

RANKINGS

Dee: 20

Rei: 17

Elliott: 18

Derek: 4

Denise: 15

Kaley: 20

Chris: 21

Andy: 11

Steven: 9

Wally: 4

JC: 13

Lily: 4

Megan: 20

Victoria: 14

Public: 7

Final Average = 13.133

COMMENTS

Inspired by Afrobeat and the music of Nigerian legend, Fela Kuti, End of Time is one of the standout pieces of 4. Probably her second-best song from that album objectively, though nowhere near my favorite song from that album. The song also samples BTSTU by Jai Paul, which is a song that I love. 

So uptempo, so percussion heavy, the marching band-style snares, the sounds of big brass, the horns. The highlights of this track are not in the lyrics, but in the beautiful sounds. It's a song with beats that compelling you to move, to feel. The song is colorful, joyful, vibrant, energetic, and pure fun. 

Really great

One of four good songs from 4.

when it comes on it makes me want to pull over to the side of the road and dance on the roof of my car

I prefer many others but I shall still :bobo:  

ends up here by default, but it’s awesome!

I do not dislike the song but easily one of my least favourite from this Top 21. 

This song has actually grown on me a lot since this rankdown started, for some reason I wasn’t super familiar with it and now it’s grown to be one of my favorites from her. Super triumphant and happy, I love it

Favorite Part:

🎵 I'll be your baby
Now promise not to let you go
Love you like crazy
Now say you'll never let me go
Say you'll never let me go
🎵

46uy.gif

Ooh gosh I know “End of Time” survived some close-calls of being cut a number of times. but I thank you rankers for not cutting this and allowing to make it to the finals. I’ve always LOVED and stanned this song. It’s one of….maybe my actual favorite non-single of Beyoncé’s. I remember being TICKED and still am ticked that i was never released as a single. And no music video? UGH can you imagine how epic the video to this would be? i am sad. :broken: Also pretty certain this is my favorite from the 4 album. This song gets me SO HYPE. The music production with the beats and drums. And all of Bey’s vocals with the fast singing and power vocals…. it kills me all! :omg: Thank you…. Derek for voting this song through as it was on my shortlist initially. Hoping my #4 ranking can help get it at Top 15 ranking. Come take my hand

I won't let you go. I’ll be your friend. I will love you so, deeply. I will be the one to kiss you at night. I will love you until the end of time. I'll be your baby. Now promise not to let you go. Love you like crazy. Now say you'll never let me go. Say you'll never let me go (say). Say you'll never let me go. :bobo: JAM! (!)

Honestly this could have been higher too, it is impossible to rank these because I love this just as much as like the 5 songs above it. It just makes you want to get up and dance. I'm like why do I have this at 13 lol. I can't deal.

End of Time always has some sentimental value to me as it was probably my stand-out number of hers from the Mrs. Carter tour. It's so amazingly high-energy and I love how she dives in with the Afrobeat/drumline-kinda influences. I wish this got more promo as an actual single because I think it showcases Beyoncé at her best.

Edited by Deeee

OMGGG two of my big favorites already showing up. :dead: I feel like such a fail. :dead: 

Kinda surprise about “Check On It” ranking last. Sad about that…. and lol my only advancing choice placing last. I totally failed. :lmao: 

Fine with “Haunted”’s placement even though I’d have it a bit higher.

I knew “End of Time” would rank low but since it didn’t place at #21 or #20…. I call that a success. #lowstandards But #bless Derek ranking it at #4 too. :wub: 

• Like 1

FINAL STANDINGS PART TWO

18. Listen (2007 prod. by Beyoncé, The Underdogs, Matt Sullivan, Randy Spendlove, + David Foster)

Album: Dreamgirls: Music from the Motion Picture + B'Day

beyonce-GAsaQe.gif

US Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #61 (Single release)

US Album Certification (RIAA): 3x Platinum (B'Day)

US Billboard 200: #1 (Dreamgirls)

US Album Certification (RIAA): Platinum (Dreamgirls)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listen_(Beyoncé_song)

RANKINGS:

Dee: 19

Rei: 12

Elliott: 15

Derek: 15

Denise: 8

Kaley: 16

Chris: 7

Andy: 20

Steven: 13

Wally: 11

JC: 1

Lily: 14

Megan: 21

Victoria: 13

Public: 10

Final Average = 13.000

COMMENTS

Listen is Beyoncé at her vocal zenith. Pure, raw talent. An iconic ballad. A defining moment in her career even. Epic. Showstopping. Evocative. Emotional. Gut-wrenching. All the good stuff. Every single live performance of this song is simply incredible. As much as I wish I could rank this higher, I simply cannot bring myself to rank any of the songs above this any lower.

I feel like adding new songs to musicals with iconic catalogues of music is always going to be a risk but it worked so perfectly with "Listen". The song connected both so well with Beyoncé's Dreamgirls character Deena, and yet also herself for her record. Of course without this number, we also wouldn't have had Beyoncé's iconic duet with Alexandra Burke.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:29 PM, JC said:

Amazing, breathtaking, queen of songs. Everytime I hear this song I get the chills, Beyonce's vocals are in full force, she's sanging it like the queen diva she is. Also, I am a theater queen, so I gots to support a Dreamgirls song. But not only are the vocals amazing, the lyrics are so meaningful and it requires so much depth and emotion. This song just has it all, I even love the covers of this song. I remember Sunshine Corazon's version on Glee, and I love it as well. Beyonce slayed this and paved the way for an iconic song to forever last in our hearts. Stunning, flawless, perfection.

tumblr_mr6g4gPw0K1rl43lho1_500.gif

Yayy I really adore and love “Listen.” :wub: Ugh I initially had this at #10 but listening to my #11 made me appreciate that song more so sadly I pushed down “Listen” for that…. sorry “Listen” and JC. But regardless, this is a really powerful, emotional and amazing song. The emotion Beyoncé pours into this is gut wrenching and THOSE VOCALS…. are so dynamic and wow. I often cite this song as her most impressive vocal performance. There’s some other songs that can compete but I feel this is THE ultimate Beyoncé powerhouse vocal song. She gives me serious chills and goosebumps here - especially at the chorus, bridge and afterwards. :omg::dead: She goes full out DIVA and SINGS FOR HER LIFE HERE! Also this comes from the movie Dreamgirls and that is definitely my favorite movie of hers.

Favorite lyric:

🎵 I'm more than what you've made of me
I followed the voice you think you gave to me
But now I gotta find my own
 🎵

Idk, never been a song from her that I’ve loved.

Absolutely love this song! I know it won't win but her singing a showtune is all I needed in my life. One of my favourite ballad of her, and this may be a strategic ranking so it's not in last place.

I know it should be higher. Fabulous vocal, but it gets lost among all of her other hits for me. So by default it winds up here.

Beautiful, amazing song with the most powerful buildup. ❤️  The chorus slays me from the start, but even more so as the song goes on. Wondrous showcase of her range. Wow. I think I remember how great this is and then I listen again and am amazed. Everyone will LISTEN and Beyonce will make sure of it! (!)  

this needed to be in the final rankings but it doesn't get me going like some of the others

Vocal power

I wish people would stop trying to cover this because no one does it justice after Queen Bey.

17. If I Were A Boy (2008 prod. by Beyoncé + Toby Gad)

Album: I Am...Sasha Fierce

tumblr_mpug2cQ5of1rkxuejo1_500.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #3

United States Certification (RIAA): 2x Platinum (Single)

US Billboard 200: #1

United States Certification (RIAA): 2x Platinum (IASF)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Were_a_Boy

RANKINGS:

Dee: 21

Rei: 21

Elliott: 20

Derek: 21

Denise: 1

Kaley: 6

Chris: 5

Andy: 18
Steven: 5

Wally: 13

JC: 7

Lily: 20

Megan: 19

Victoria: 4

Public: 6

Final Average = 12.533

COMMENTS

IIWAB is incredible, but a song that sort of wears you out over time? Or at least that has been my experience with this single. I also prefer many other songs from IASF.

Ranking IIWAB slightly lower as it was the song I had been on board with cutting in the last round. I do love it as a song though, and the video is really great. A great way to lead the I Am... Sasha Fierce album too and introduce her alter egos.

Thank the lord that this was not cut. Such an amazing song and I like that it calls out gender roles and I am sure a lot of people can relate.

tumblr_n9dlcp4HEM1qimturo2_250.gifv

One of the two dual I Am…Sasha Fierce opening singles. While I am and always be #TeamSingleLadies I am very glad that “If I Were a Boy” didn’t get cut on the final cut round and got to advance into the finals. Especially for Denise as I now she LOVES this song and even much more than myself. :lmao: Despite my #13 ranking,  I still absolutely love this song…. and pretty much do with my whole Top 13. This is a gorgeous pop ballad where Bey calls out on the double standards of males vs. females and how society views things women do differently from me. She provides great strong vocals and so much raw emotion on this track. So beautiful. :wub: Ooh and I must also mention…. I’m mad that there’s only 2 track s in the finals and many bigger faves of mine from that album aren’t here… ugh.

Wears thin on repeated listens, still a great song though

Favorite lyric:

🎵 It's a little too late for you to come back
Say it's just a mistake
Think I'd forgive you like that
If you thought I would wait for you
You thought wrong
 🎵

I know I voted against it but I did that for #haunted. But IIWAB is one of my favourite of hers - she SANG on this song.

I was so sad when we almost lost this one at the last minute. I have a feeling it’s not going to finish that high since so many were voting to get rid of it last round, but this is where it lands for me. As I said previously, Beyoncé’s ballads tend to not be as high on my list as her more upbeat songs, but this has always been one of my favs. I love both her vocals and her delivery.

My most listened to Beyonce song and a personal favorite.  The angst and raw emotion in this connects with me so much, and no matter how many times I play this song, it hits EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. :broken:  She doesn't just speak to double standards on this, but SINGS her heart out. The buildup and dynamics of this are perfect, as are her vocals and emotion. The way it gets all quiet before the final chorus comes blasting full force gives me LIFE.  YOU DON'T LISTEN TO HERRRRR. YOU DON'T CAREEEE HOW IT HURTTTTTTTTTTTS. :broken:  I felt that. I really did. :broken:  My heart is ripped out listening and attempting to sing along, but I will go back again and again because it's that good. I hadn't really thought about my ranking yet prior to the Top 21, but seeing how so many people were willing to discard this from the finals made my decision easy. It may not rank that high overall, but it does for me. 

Pretty good

Never really been a fan of this song.

almost voted out, so no reason to rank it any higher. Not my least favorite, but also def. not one of the songs from this album I would have gone with

16. Pray You Catch Me (2011 prod. by Beyoncé + Kevin Garrett)

Album: Lemonade

tumblr_ozt5igzYef1uvkt1so1_500.gifv

US Billboard Hot 100: #37

US Billboard 200: #1 (Lemonade)

US Album Certification (RIAA): 3x Platinum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pray_You_Catch_Me

RANKINGS

Dee: 2

Rei: 1

Elliott: 5

Derek: 16

Denise: 13

Kaley: 17

Chris: 17

Andy: 21

Steven: 11

Wally: 20

JC: 6

Lily: 21

Megan: 1

Victoria: 21

Public: 15

Final Average = 12.467

COMMENTS

Pray You Catch Me as the Lemonade opener is just...everything. So many of you are sleeping on the power of this track. Pray You Catch Me corresponds to the chapter titled Intuition, and the song really sets the tone so poignantly. Beyoncé conveys the misery she feels as she uncovers the dishonesty that rots away at the foundation of her love. The hurt, the suspicion, the eavesdropping, the distance. This track is simple, but super effective in introducing viewers to one of the major explorations of Lemonade: infidelity. Beyoncé wastes no time revealing her truths, and the anguish in her voice in this song...gets me every time. Truly on her defining pieces of work and a song that I will cherish forever. 

Pray You Catch Me wouldn't be in my personal top 20 and I wasn't sure on it initially when Lemonade came out but upon more watches of the visuals and the cohesiveness of the record, I think it's a fantastic opener.

Another song that snuck up on me on how much I love it. The music is just beautiful.

source.gif

I knew Elliott & Rei would advance a Lemonade track but ugh how much I wish they advanced “Formation” instead of PYCM. :dead: “Pray You Catch Me” is a gorgeous song with beautiful vocals but not one of my very top faves from the album. This song always felt so short to me like an album interlude. I always wished it was longer.

🎵 Nothing else ever seems to hurt like the smile on your face
When it's only in my memory
It don't hit me quite the same
🎵

Real talk, literally every time I listen to Lemonade I skip PYCM and start with Hold Up :ph34rwave: It’s not that I don’t like ballads or slow songs, it’s just that I don’t think this really goes anywhere and it’s just a few minutes of Bey singing really pretty. Sorry!

I do not dislike it but it doesn't do anything for me. I would have had Daddy Lessons in, over this song.

starts the album off so strong.

So pretty and subdued. 

Lemonade.

Probably my favorite Beyonce song ever

Edited by Deeee

Yikes the ballads sure took big hits on this set. :dead: Love IIWAB and Listen and especially wish Listen was higher but oh well.

Loving reading everyone's comments on these songs. :wub: Esp. love reading the #1 comments from JC on Listen and Denise on IIWAB.

game show model GIF by Deal Or No Deal

That second group was horrifically robbed. Of course me, Wally, and Denise lost our #1s first because we ranked unstrategically. I legit Loved or liked my songs 1-19 so here’s to hoping my bottom 2 show up soon :giggle:

oh I just noticed Rei and Megan also lost their number 1s :( well I’m just thinking of this as Beyoncé wins no matter what so I’m not stressed

Edited by JC

7 hours ago, JC said:

game show model GIF by Deal Or No Deal

That second group was horrifically robbed. Of course me, Wally, and Denise lost our #1s first because we ranked unstrategically. I legit Loved or liked my songs 1-19 so here’s to hoping my bottom 2 show up soon :giggle:

oh I just noticed Rei and Megan also lost their number 1s :( well I’m just thinking of this as Beyoncé wins no matter what so I’m not stressed

Don't jinx me....  I haven't lost my #1 yet. :lmao: I did lose my #4 and #6 though. :broken: And lol yeah I loved like my whole Top 18..... so it was ll super tough.

That's the best way to look at it. :wub: 

6 hours ago, .Rei said:

Surprise about Listen. I though it was gonna make the top 10

Samee. 😮 :( 

4 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

Listen showed up already??

Sexy Beyonce GIF by Identity

Lol what does this reaction mean? :dead: 

3 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

So far everyone’s rankings look like they’re from the randomizer haha. I wonder if we’ll get more of a consensus as we get closer to #1

Lmaooo it's really hilarious seeing all of the different rankings from everyone. It's so hard to predict what will do the best. :lmao: