Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART FOUR

12. Cry (2009, prod. by Howard Benson, written by Kelly Clarkson + Jason Halbert + Mark Townsend)

Album: All I Ever Wanted

Kelly_Clarkson_-_All_I_Ever_Wanted_(Offi

US Billboard 200: #1 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_(Kelly_Clarkson_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 18

Gigi: 19

Andy: 6

Steven: 11

Sola: 8

Wally: 11

Anne: 9

Elliott: 3

QK: 11

Tom: 10

Chris: 4

JC: 18

Kaley: 20

Lily: 17

Amanda: 8

Andrew: 17

Denise: 8

Priscilla: 18

Victoria: 16

Final Average = 12.211

COMMENTS

On 10/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, miss denise said:

This has always been one of my favorite album tracks from Kelly since All I Ever Wanted came out. In fact, it may be my favorite song on the whole album. It has such a great rock ballad feel about it that I adore and Kelly's vocals and emotion are so strong.  It's another breakup song, but this one is more so about struggling with it and the aftermath than feeling free of the relationship.

"If anyone asks, I'll tell them we both just moved on" crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif 

Kelly has so many great build-ups and the one in this song that goes into the chorus is just another to add to the list. The chorus is one of my favorite things about this. She asks a lot of questions and it feels so powerful. :broken: 

"Is it over yet? Can I open my eyes? Is this as hard as it gets? Is this what it feels like to really cry?" bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif 

I don't know why I also always really loved this part of the second verse:

"What do I care if they believe me or not?" :( 

But the song escalates a whole other level in the bridge and just slays me.

"I'm talking in circles, I'm lying, they know it, Why won't this just all go away?" :omg: 

The way Kelly projects her voice here is so heartbreaking and powerful.... along with the soft start to the chorus that follows. :broken: Ugh so effective. I just love everything about this song and I'm so glad it made the finals here.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, taylorkat said:

It's okay, but I wouldn't have this in my top 21.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, #jeah said:

All I Ever Wanted is a really underrated album imo, and Cry is one of the top reasons why. Beautiful ballad. It’s like those old soulful country songs, even though I wouldn’t really call this a country track. Beautiful tearjerker!

On 10/1/2020 at 7:16 PM, sublymonal said:

I tend to skip this song when it comes on. It's pretty but boring.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, *Wallace said:

“Cry” is one of my favorite Kelly album tracks, so yayy I am really happy that Chris put this through into the finals. I love “Cry” and will give it the #11 ranking. This is such a gorgeous but heartbreaking song about a break-up and one of those songs that definitely gets you in the feels. :broken: From the first verse, I do love the part where she sings: Whenever I see you I'll swallow my pride and bite my tongue.

But I do really love how powerful and booming the chorus is where Kelly sings: 

Is it over yet

Can I open my eyes

Is this as hard as it gets

Is this what it feels like to really cry

Cry

Her belting notes of “ccccrrrryyyyyy” are my favorites! ❤️ The bridge is really great and I love Kelly’s vocals there (as I do throughout the whole song). 

I'm talking in circles

I'm lying, they know it

Why won't this just all go aaawwwwaaaayyy

:omg:

Ugh I am still so sad about how “Already Gone” got robbed but at least we got one of the other All I Ever Wanted ballads in the finals. :wub: This is a great song from Kelly. I do wish this could have been a single.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:57 PM, *Lily said:

Really like this song and its arrangement. Apparently Lea Michele covered this on Glee and I'm glad to say I don't remember it!

On 9/30/2020 at 8:44 PM, *Chris said:

Easily my favourite from "All I Ever Wanted" - I love everything about this song from the lyrics to her voice to the melody. 

On 9/30/2020 at 12:54 PM, aliasocfan said:

I love Already Gone but because of the similarities to Halo, this should have been released an a single instead.

On 9/30/2020 at 11:43 PM, JC said:

This is a gorgeous song that I love listening to and unfortunately has to be this low just because there are so many amazing songs in this top 21. I honestly had so much trouble ranking these songs.

11. Walk Away (2004, prod. by Kara DioGuardi + Chantal Kreviazuk + Raine Maida, written by Kelly Clarkson + Kara DioGuardi + Chantal Kreviazuk + Raine Maida)

Album: Breakaway

Pgyq.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #12 (Single)

US Adult Contemporary (Billboard): #19 (Single)

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #3 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #5 (Single)

US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #5 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Gold (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_Away_(Kelly_Clarkson_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 3

Gigi: 15

Andy: 5

Steven: 3

Sola: 17

Wally: 9

Anne: 8

Elliott: 9

QK: 7

Tom: 9

Chris: 21

JC: 14

Kaley: 16

Lily: 2

Amanda: 16

Andrew: 7

Denise: 12

Priscilla: 19

Victoria: 18

Final Average = 11.053

COMMENTS

A lot of people wanted this song here, so I left it alone.  It's fine, but not for my top 21.

Imagine not liking this song. It’s so much fun. Probably the best verse-chorus combo from Breakaway! It’s impossible not to sing along to this!

giphy.gif

I love how the iconic Breakaway album has 5 songs in this Kelly mini rankdown. :wub: Although that doesn’t take away from the fact of how “Breakaway” was robbed soo ughh at that. :broken: “Walk Away” is my easy least fave of the Breakaway tracks but that’s nothing to fret about as I still love this song and it gets my #9 ranking. I do love the funky pop/rock feel of “Walk Away.” Kelly sings this song in such a fun sassy way and I just love that sassy attitude she has in those verses. :bobo: I love the part from the first verse where she sings: So before you point your finger. Get your hands off of my trigger. Oh yeah. :bobo:

Then that chorus is so fun and infectious and i’m totally here for it!

I'm looking for attention

Not another question

Should you stay or should you go?

Well, if you don't have the answer

Why are you still standin' here?

Hey, hey, hey, hey

Just walk away

Just walk away

Just walk away

From the second verse, I do love the part where she sings:

I know you know I know

So what's the point in being slow

Let's get the show on the road today

:bobo:

I also love the bridge of the song and once again Kelly delivers on that sass and slays it! :bobo: Ooh and this is one of the videos i most find Kelly hot in sooo do your thing, Miss Clarkson. :giggle: Also all the people singing karaoke to this song is all kinds of fun, this seems like the perfect song to do that with.

I saw far too much Walk Away slander during this round! This is a bop and idk if it'll get the credit I feel it deserves here so I'm ranking it this high.

It's a catchy as hell upbeat song. Love it. 

A bop.

Easily one of my least favourite single of hers, hence why ranking it at #21 wasn't a difficult decision to make. 

So much attitude that stuns, love this and don't understand why it has to be ranked so low.

This is definitely one of Kelly's most funky songs and I am here for it! :bobo: 

"You think I'm stupid, but the truth is that it's cupid, baby, Lovin' you has made me this way" :bobo: 

She's still full of sass, soul, and everything we love about Kelly. The way she sings this is perfect and the chorus is a straight up BOP.

"I'm looking for attention, not another question, Should you stay or should you go?" :bobo: 

That energy never gets old! I also want to say this song has one of my favorite bridges, but I've realized while doing these write-ups just how many amazing bridges Kelly's songs have. I still want to say it's up there though. The production on it and the way her voice is highlighted is so cool and fire. :bobo: The way it builds up is especially exciting.

"Are you gonna fight for me? Die for me? Live and breathe for me? Do you care for me? 'Cause if you don't, then just leave"  (!) 

YES. She sings louder and louder with each line and it's amazing! I love everything about this.

10. Never Again (2007, prod. by David Kahne, written by Kelly Clarkson + Jimmy Messer)

Album: My December

VplN.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #8 (Single)

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #12 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #20 (Single)

US Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #24 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Gold (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Again_(Kelly_Clarkson_song)

RANKINGS

Derek: 10

Gigi: 12

Andy: 10

Steven: 13

Sola: 18

Wally: 12

Anne: 3

Elliott: 4

QK: 17

Tom: 6

Chris: 6

JC: 15

Kaley: 2

Lily: 15

Amanda: 11

Andrew: 4

Denise: 14

Priscilla: 16

Victoria: 13

Final Average = 10.579

COMMENTS

Everything about "My December" is pure perfection, and so is this song - this song deserved more than it did when it was released as a single. 

It's okay, but I never go back to it. 

Part of me thinks this is just a poor man’s You Oughta Know, but honestly I don’t even care this is a BIG MOOD from Kelly. Love that she pushed for this to be released as the lead single even if it didn’t do so well commercially (compared to her last lead single). This is so angry and a change in sound for Kelly. She took artistic control and we love her for it! The melody is a bit harsh tbh but besides that I love this song

VplM.gif

“Never Again” is my favorite My December track, so I am pleased that the majority of the rankers brought this song into the finals. “Never Again” was one of those Kelly songs I did like/really like when it was out but it’s a song that I’ve grown to really like and love more over time. I guess this is one of those songs I slept on and didn’t really appreciate properly but I do so now enough to give it the #12 spot. “Never Again” was like a whole new level of angst Kelly but to the 100th from her angst side from Breakaway. I do love how dark, raw and emo this song. Right from the first few lines, I am already hooked and shook!  😮

I hope the ring you gave to her turns her finger green

I hope when you're in bed with her, you think of me

I would never wish bad things, but I don't wish you well

That is just sooo…. :omg: Then comes that booming chorus which is soo power and I absolutely love.

Does it hurt to know I'll never be there

Bet it sucks, to see my face everywhere

It was you, who chose to end it like you did

I was the last to know

You knew exactly what you would do

And don't say, you simply lost your way

She may believe you but I never will

Never again

Loveee the aggressiveness and power of her vocals there! :omg: But then THE PART I always stan is where she sings “Ignorance is bliss” in the second verse. So iconic! :dead:  And it’s so perfect with that Housewives look she has haha. :giggle:

anigif_enhanced-22360-1478551087-11.gif

The bridge of the song is great too, especially the second half of it with her belting!

Never again will I kiss you

Never again will I want to

Never again will I love you

Neeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr

:dead:

I must say I really love Kelly’s acting in this video. She’s sooo angry, feisty, aggressive and And Kelly is letting this man. HAVE. IT. It’s what he deserves. (!) I forgot how good and how much i enjoyed the video.

I often feel like this song can be underrated, so I'm glad that wasn't the case when it came time to voting it into the finals. Kelly is full of vengeance in this song and I am always here for that.

"I hope the ring you gave to her turns her finger green" shocked.gif.0c3e065f5a8e63795b49b1e0e0f58bcb.gif 

She says some shocking things at the start of this song. I love the way she alternates the way she sings on different parts, going effortlessly from falsetto to her power vocals. :wub:  So good and so Kelly. The chorus is so in your face and perfect for the meaning behind it.

"Does it hurt to know I'll never be there, Bet it sucks to see my face everywhere" 

That is soo wow. I don't know why the "Ignorance is bliss" line always stood out to me, but maybe that's the first time I heard that idiom and learned what it means. :haha: But wow that whole second half of that verse! :omg:  

"And he'll be through with you, You'll die together, but alone"

... and so on.. Ugh, Kelly just always slays. And of course the build-up throughout the bridge is so powerful and amazing. I just love it, especially those parts where she really powers. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif Ugh flawless.

My December deserves great things!

We love a rock star.

Another one of my faves that I would put on repeat back in the day.

A live performance of this song actually made me a fan.

Edited by Deeee

1 minute ago, Deeee said:

I can hardly weigh in on Kelly Clarkson's discography, but I truly do not understand the hatred Walk Away received. Very yucky.

These are the same people that stan Already Gone so I'm not surprised.

Tell The Tea GIF by Dreezy

TOP NINE

STUDIO ALBUMS

THANKFUL

Miss Independent
A Moment Like This

BREAKAWAY

Since U Been Gone
Behind These Hazel Eyes
Because of You

MY DECEMBER

Sober

ALL I EVER WANTED

My Life Would Suck Without You

STRONGER

What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)

REMIX ALBUMS

PIECE BY PIECE - REMIXED

Piece By Piece - Idol Version

Edited by Deeee
  • Like 2

Just now, Deeee said:

TOP 9

STUDIO ALBUMS

THANKFUL

Miss Independent
A Moment Like This

BREAKAWAY

Since U Been Gone
Behind These Hazel Eyes
Because of You

MY DECEMBER

Sober

ALL I EVER WANTED

My Life Would Suck Without You

STRONGER

What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)

REMIX ALBUMS

PIECE BY PIECE - REMIXED

Piece By Piece - Idol Version

can we get rid of the Dr. L*ke song already? :/

On 9/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, @*Wallace said:

I love how the iconic Breakaway album has 5 songs in this Kelly mini rankdown. :wub: Although that doesn’t take away from the fact of how “Breakaway” was robbed soo ughh at that. :broken: “Walk Away” is my easy least fave of the Breakaway tracks but that’s nothing to fret about as I still love this song and it gets my #9 ranking. I do love the funky pop/rock feel of “Walk Away.” Kelly sings this song in such a fun sassy way and I just love that sassy attitude she has in those verses. :bobo: 

I feel like I agree with every word here. :wub: :bobo: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, miss denise said:

tenor.gif

lol it's probably one of my least favourite songs from her all things considered. I just wasn't really a fan of the Thankful album outside of Low/Miss Independent/A Moment Like This (if it even counts), so Clark's version of it is the one I prefer. :ph34rwave: I would've ranked it lower if I was ranking the songs how I really felt about them, but it wound up higher for me because I was too busy ranking some of the heavy hitters I didn't want to see win at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, NGM said:

thank god i didn’t apply for this round bc how tf is A Moment Like This still here???:dead:

2 minutes ago, #jeah said:

A Moment Like This does not deserve top 9, lol

hi welcome to IDOLforums.com

Just now, #jeah said:

That doesn’t make my statement any less true!

Well both of her coronation songs made it through so I was too busy making sure Before Your Love wasn't going to rank more unnecessarily higher than it already was.

• Like 1