Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART SIX

6. Miss Independent (2003, prod. by Rhett Lawrence, written by Kelly Clarkson + Rhett Lawrence + Christina Aguilera + Matt Morris)

Album: Thankful

YZcO.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #9 (Single)

US Adult Contemporary (Billboard): #28 (Single)

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #14 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Dance Mix Show/Airplay (Billboard): #11 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Gold (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Independent_(Kelly_Clarkson_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 4

Gigi: 3

Andy: 9

Steven: 8

Sola: 9

Wally: 5

Anne: 15

Elliott: 10

QK: 15

Tom: 20

Chris: 18

JC: 13

Kaley: 8

Lily: 1

Amanda: 7

Andrew: 6

Denise: 5

Priscilla: 8

Victoria: 6

Final Average = 8.947

COMMENTS

On 10/1/2020 at 3:57 PM, *Lily said:

Idk if this is my favorite Kelly song. But it's definitely up there. And as of right now, doing the rankings it's my favorite song of hers. So let's just put it at #1 and hope it does well I guess. I think she sounds so good on this song and I love the R&B feel to it.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, taylorkat said:

I love this song, my favorite from her debut album. 

On 9/30/2020 at 11:43 PM, JC said:

An original classic that brings so much nostalgia.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, #jeah said:

Another classic from Thankful, this has such an early 00s pop vibe to it lol. Very of its time but I still jam to it even today lol. Kelly’s first non-coronation single to smash and it’s definitely one of her staple hits. Love it!

On 9/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, *Wallace said:

giphy_34_orig.gif

Yayy I am super glad and happy that “Miss Independent” made it through into the finals! :wub: I think of this song as Kelly’s legit first single (as “A Moment Like This” was like her coronation single) as a recording artist. This is such a classic and definitely takes me back. This is also my favorite Thankful track so I am glad it made it here, and this will get my #5 spot. “Miss Independent” brings me back to those good ol’ days of early 2000s Pop Goodness and Kelly fitted in perfectly in the pop music scene. :wub: I love the sassy/sensual way she sings the verses of the song. It’s so cool! I really love the part at the end of the first verse where she sings: Little Miss Apprehensive. Said ooh, she fell in love. :giggle: Then the song blasts and booms into that catchy chorus that I really love that goes:

What is the feelin' takin' over?

Thinkin' no one could open my door

Surprise it's time

To feel what's real

What happened to Miss Independent?

No longer need to be defensive

Goodbye, old you

When love is true

:bobo:

Then another part I rally love from the song is from the second chorus where she sings: 

But she miscalculated

She didn't want to end up jaded

And this miss decided not to miss out on true love

She fell in love

:bobo: 

I also love how the bridge of the song slows down and how soft & pretty it is. ❤️ Kelly sounds pretty on that part. Some of my very favorite parts are where she sings:

No time for love that came her way

What happened to Miss No-Longer-Afraid?

How beautiful love could truly be

I'm so glad I finally see

It’s like every other line but looove those parts. :wub: Then the song gets so fun and upbeat, which I love of course. :bobo: The music video is a lot of fun. It’s like a lot of young adults/teens just having a blast at this house party.  But yess so here for this classic old school Kelly track making it into the finals!

On 10/1/2020 at 7:16 PM, sublymonal said:

This song and Low are the original KC hits.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:44 PM, *Chris said:

This song is iconic & a bop, but not a favourite of mine.  Hot take: I would have preferred "Low" to make it over this song.

On 10/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, miss denise said:

ICONIC CLASSIC SLAYAGE KELLY. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif I would say I used to listen to this song all the time, but the fact is I STILL listen to this very often.  This is actually my 2nd most listened to Kelly song, but it's a close second. Anyway, I never get tired of this JAM about female empowerment and independence! Miss Independent is RIGHT. :bobo: Not to mention the amazing melody and catchiness of this. The verses are so cool and draw you in, but then... the chorus just explodes with such an earworm that I am obsessed with. :bobo:  

"What is the feelin' takin' over? Thinkin' no one could open my door, surprise, It's time, to feel what's real" :bobo: 

It just BOOMS and takes over! :ohyeah: Slay my ears some more, Kelly!  This song takes us everywhere because the bridge is so beautiful and haunting, which only makes the comeback of the chorus even more EPIC! I'm here for it every single time. I feel like Miss Independent whenever I listen to this and will never stop. :bobo: 

5. Since U Been Gone (2004, prod. by Max Martin + Dr. Piece of Sh*t, written by Max Martin + Dr. Piece of Sh*t)

Album: Breakaway

KVC8.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #2 (Single)

US Adult Contemporary (Billboard): #22 (Single)

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #2 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #22 (Single)

US Dance Mix Show/Airplay (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Pop 100 (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Billboard Hot 100 Decade-End Charts (Billboard): #47 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 Decade-End Charts (Billboard): #6 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 All-Time Charts (Billboard): #24 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Platinum (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Since_U_Been_Gone

RANKINGS:

Derek: 5

Gigi: 6

Andy: 7

Steven: 1

Sola: 13

Wally: 1

Anne: 13

Elliott: 20

QK: 1

Tom: 21

Chris: 14

JC: 3

Kaley: 10

Lily: 11

Amanda: 4

Andrew: 9

Denise: 6

Priscilla: 1

Victoria: 3

Final Average = 7.842

COMMENTS

Uhhhh this song is clearly ICONIC, CLASSIC, LEGENDARY and all of the amazing things you could think of. Kelly was already successful with her previous album and singles coming off her Idol win, but the Breakaway era truly propelled things to a new level.... especially with this song. This was a smash hit and everyone knows and love this (or at least they should). There are so many Kelly songs I LOVE and so many that she is known for but.... I think is has to be THE ONE that beats all the rest in terms of popularity, success, and everything. This song is full of the most amazing attitude and is pretty much the best sigh of relief song for anyone who is happy to end a relationship. WE CAN BREATHE FOR THE FIRST TIME.  Can anyone here not sing all the lyrics to this off the top of their head? I can't imagine. We all know where it's going as soon as the music kicks in at the start. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif I love the more laid back sound of the verses, and the lead in and build-up to the chorus is flawless and amazing.  And the chorus is full of the most exciting energy that I can even imagine!

BUT SINCE U BEEN GONEEE. I CAN BREATHE FOR THE FIRSTT TIME. I'M SO MOVING ON YEAAH YEAH. :bobo: 

You all know the rest.  The energy is slamming, the attitude is on fire, and that only continues through the bridge! OMG and Kelly's slayage vocals. :dead: YESSSSS!

"Shut your mouth, I just can't take it, Again, and again, and again, and again" :omg: 

I really should shout those lyrics because simply quoting them doesn't do that moment justice. Okay, here we go.....

AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!!11 (!) *voice cracks*

It's incredible. Kelly's version that is.  I also love the key change and ad-libs in the final chorus of the song. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif  This song is a defining moment in Kelly's career and I will always love it so so much. I also love how the song ends in a softer matter, so the whole thing comes full circle.

Iconic.

An epic favorite, should easily be number 1 as well. 

Kelly’s most iconic hit duh. Never been my #1 favorite from her but there is no denying this song was massive and one of the best pop hits of that era. The chorus and bridge are both amazing and super memorable. A star-making hit for Kelly. This made her a pop it girl! We have to stan

tumblr_mmq01p5LEW1qhhr17o1_500.gif

“Since U Been Gone” is the ultimate ICONIC and classic Kelly Clarkson song, at least in my opinion. This was such a huge song for Kelly and her career and is definitely a really great pop/rock song!  I also like to think of this song for being responsible for what a huge success the Breakaway album was. Not saying the success was solely because of this song but it helped gear a lot of excitement and buzz for the album. Anyway, “Since U Been Gone” has likely always been my favorite Kelly song, so it’s a no brainer that I will rank this at #1. A huge thanks to QK advancing this into the finals. We all know this song is about Kelly moving on and being better after this break-up and how she does not need this guy. Kelly does these anthem type songs so well. I love how the song starts off soft and subtle but still has that angry attitude from Kelly with how wrong she was done. But of course the song gets electrifying with that chorus!

04e574fb3590dd71c293562d9ed05f2f.gif

I'm so moving on

Yeah, yeah

Lh54.gif

Since you've been gone

SUCH a catchy chorus! :bobo:

I really love the second verse, especially the part where Kelly sings: 

How can I put it? You put me on

I even fell for that stupid love song

Ugh soo wrong. :( But that’s okay Kelly, you saw through his ways. But the bridge is such an amazing part and one of my very favorite stand out parts!

You had your chance, you blew it

Out of sight, out of mind

Shut your mouth, I just can't take it

Again and again, and again, and again

SO KILLER! :omg::dead: I just love her belting and how she builds that part up so flawlessly! Then I love the rest of her ad-libs towards the end of the song too! It’s just all SOO good. :wub: 

“Since U Been Gone” is a song I’ve heard a ton throughout the years but never have or never will  get tired of it. I do feel it’s a strong contender to win as it is THAT big song, but I definitely worry some rangers might tank it in fears of it being a predictable winner. I would really love for “Since U Been Gone” to pull off the win, as this is my favorite Kelly song, but I am not so confident. I will keep my fingers crossed. :haha:

Love this song but totally expect it to win, so I'm ranking my other favourites higher.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:54 PM, aliasocfan said:

One of her most successful songs. Some casuals might call it her best. They would be wrong. 

Finding out now that this was originally offered to Hilary Duff is something I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about for the next week.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:22 PM, ~Tom~ said:

So several years back there was this reviewer that was ciritcal of Idol and the modern music scene saying there were no fans of Kelly Clarkson, there were only fans of Since U Been Gone. Down with musical snobs! PUT THE GONE IN SINCE U BEEN GONE! 

(Plus it would be a predictable winner anyway!)

I really like this song & it's hard to sing along to it, but it's far from being a favourite of hers - I prefer other songs from her sophomore album. 

4. Sober (2007, prod. by David Kahne + Jason Halbert + Jimmy Messer, written by Kelly Clarkson + Aben Eubanks + Jimmy Messer + Calamity McEntire)

Album: My December

giphy.gif

US Pop 100 (Billboard): #93 (Album)

US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard): #10 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sober_(Kelly_Clarkson_song)

RANKINGS

Derek: 6

Gigi: 8

Andy: 1

Steven: 14

Sola: 11

Wally: 17

Anne: 1

Elliott: 1

QK: 19

Tom: 2

Chris: 2

JC: 7

Kaley: 3

Lily: 19

Amanda: 2

Andrew: 2

Denise: 1

Priscilla: 5

Victoria: 1

Final Average = 6.421

COMMENTS

I have been absolutely in love with this song since I first heard it. It is easily my favorite from My December and is a song that I played on repeat and over and over again, despite it being slower and taking awhile to build-up. That may be a complaint for some people, but not for me, because I feel the entire song is so captivating and that build-up is what makes the ending even more powerful and emotional.  The song is also quite long, but again, it makes it even better for me. :wub: The meaning of the song is so deep and powerful. I love that it can resonate with so many people and many forms of addiction, no matter what it may be for each individual person. :broken: The song has such strength about overcoming those things and I love that, along with the amazing melody, vocals, and everything.  I am all ears from the beginning with the guitar and her gentle singing. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif 

"I don't know, this could break my heart or save me"  crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif 

That lyric is already so wow and interesting. The chorus has always been my favorite though, particularly the second lyric here:

"Three months and I'm still sober, Picked all my weeds but kept the flowers" crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif 

I love that visual. And this!

"At the end of this road I might catch a glimpse of me"

Ugh, that hurts my heart a bit. :broken: It's like she was so lost. Oh, and the second chorus has some different lyrics from the first, but is also one of my favorite parts:

"Been a long road since those hands I left my tears in but I know It's never really over, nooo, Wake up"

I am obsessed with the way she sings this whole part!!! :omg: All of it gets to me so much and the way she sings that last part in falsetto before the song truly starts to hit his climax gets me in ALL. THE. FEELS. :omg:  It's time for the slayage!!

"Three months and I'm still standing here, three months and I'm getting better yeah" crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif 

and

"Three months and it's still harder now Three months I've been living here without you now" crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif 

That last part is another stand-out for me, but it all is....  That "Three months yeah, three months" with the riffs and stuff is so emotional and THEN COMES THE BELTING. :omg: The best belting that ever belted! Yes, you heard it here! :omg: :clap: Even if I shouted it in all caps it wouldn't do it justice, but you all know the part!! :wub: Ugh. This song truly takes me on a journey and I feel the emotions of it every single time. And of course it ends with my favorite lyric about the weeds and flowers. crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif What a masterpiece of a song and I was so glad to learn through this rankdown how loved this song is from other Kelly fans on here. 

It's good.

Flawless song - if there's one Kelly song that the world deserves to know, it's this one.

Her best song. Literally no competition. The bridge remains unrivaled. I will forever be bitter that this did not get a music video. 

Really beautiful and powerful song. Only ranking it this low as it's one of the songs I'm less familiar with compared to the others!

The best Kelly Clarkson song lyrically, her favourite and the deserving winner.

Love this song as well, would again still be happy if this won!

Her best song, from day one of hearing this song it’s been my favorite from her. Love the message of the song and how it’s universal in its relatability. I love that this uses addiction as a metaphor for getting over a really tough relationship. Men suck :haha: One of her best vocal performances ever. The chorus is gorgeous. The climax is epic. This is just Kelly at her most emotionally vulnerable and you can hear it with every word she sings. This has definitely made me cry before!

KQTg.gif

I know “Sober” is a huge favorite for many people on here, and I certainly see it doing really well in this Kelly mini-rankdown. I can certainly see it ranking at least in the Top 6 and very likely in the Top 3. And honestly, I’m a little scared “Sober” could win which wouldn’t be ideal result for me. :dead: I know MANY people are gonna come at me for this #17 ranking but I promise this is a genuine ranking amongst this group of songs. I hope I am not the only low ranker of this song. :haha: (I don’t want to be the Andy with “Praying” on the Kesha round here :haha: ).

Personally for me, as I said before, I was never the biggest My December fan, so it was a little tough for me to really get into this song. Over the years, this has grown a lot on me where I do really like and appreciate the songmore - despite it not being one of my ultimate favorites from Kelly. “Sober” is so raw, emotional, vulnerable and powerful. I do love how Kelly sings the song softly at the start and then how she slowly but surely builds it up. I do especially love the part where she sings: Three months and I'm still sober and Three months and I'm still breathing the start of the choruses.

The last minute of the song like around the bridge and latter chorus is my favorite part, where she is really belting it out and sanging it!

Three months and I'm still breathing

Three months and I still remember it

Three months and I wake up

SO GOOD. :omg: But yeah “Sober” is great song and I get why so many people love it. I see it ranking well, so good luck to this song (but not too much lmao).

3. Piece by Piece - Idol Version (2016, prod. by Greg Kurstin + Jason Halbert, written by Kelly Clarkson + Greg Kurstin)

Album: Piece by Piece Remixed

kelly-clarkson.gif

US Top Album Sales (Billboard): #179 (Album)

US Top Dance/Electronic Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piece_by_Piece_(song)

RANKINGS

Derek: 1

Gigi: 11

Andy: 12

Steven: 15

Sola: 4

Wally: 14

Anne: 6

Elliott: 2

QK: 8

Tom: 5

Chris: 3

JC: 1

Kaley: 5

Lily: 10

Amanda: 1

Andrew: 1

Denise: 7

Priscilla: 4

Victoria: 7

Final Average = 6.158

COMMENTS

The original was already one of my favorite songs from the Piece By Piece album, but this stripped down version really took it all to another level.... I would say I'm speechless, but you know I'm going to follow this up with a lot more words. Basically, this song is perfect. It's so heartbreaking, yet heartwarming, at the same time.  It's storytelling and it's emotion. It's so much heart. Kelly sings this flawlessly, of course, and you can hear and feel all the feelings she went through in her voice. Even though I am fortunate enough to not relate to the story she tells in this song, the way I get into it while listening and want to sing along would make you think it was my own life story. I don't even know how. It's stunning and the piano arrangement on this version perfectly highlights just her vocals and the important lyrics. I love so many parts of this song, but some favorites:

"Piece by piece he filled the holes that you burned in me at six years old" :broken: 

and

'I made something of myself and now you wanna come back" :( 

And the way Kelly changes the story from talking about her father and husband to her daughter is just.... the heart explodes.

"Piece by piece I fell far from the tree, I will never leave her like you left me, and she will never have to wonder her worth because unlike you I'm gonna put her first" heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif 

I love that and love everything about this song.

My underdog pick to win and I hope I'm right. It's rare that a song is improved by a live version, but the version Kelly sang on Idol brought America to tears. When her voice cracks on the last verse, ugh! 😭 Just a reminder: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuunqfdz388

This performance literally makes me cry EVERY time. Stunning masterclass singing and emotional performance. I was not sure I was going to put this first, but I just love it so much.

Beautiful song.

One of Kelly’s most iconic career moments was singing this song on AI, so much so that the “real” version of this song is the Idol Version lol. Whew, that performance gets me emotional lol. The song itself isn’t one I listen to that much, but this definitely deserves a spot in the top 21 for being a milestone moment for Kelly.

Probably my prediction for a song that'll do really well in this final vote. And rightfully so! While it's not a song I listen to as much, that Idol performance was so beautiful and I loved how it really felt like a full-circle moment of her career.

OrneryOccasionalAfricanclawedfrog-size_r

“Piece By Piece” has such an interesting history to it…. it’s absolutely crazy and hilarious. :dead: There was the original “Piece By Piece” album version. Then when it was released as a single there was the “Piece By Piece” radio mix (which I prefer over the album version #oops). Then after that there was the “Piece By Piece - Idol Version,” which she performed on American Idol Season 15, and this is my personal favorite version of the song. I will rank this song at #14. This is such a deep meaningful and emotional song, that it honestly only needed the piano arrangement to sell and get the message across of the song.  She sings this song with such beautiful vocals and a great emotional connection to it. ❤️ The chorus is so heartbreaking where she sings:

But piece by piece he collected me

Up off the ground where you abandoned things, yeah

Piece by piece he filled the holes

That you burned in me at six years old

And you know

He never walks away

He never asks for money

He takes care of me

He loves me

Piece by piece he restored my faith

That a man can be kind and a father could... stay

:broken:

She really sings straight from the heart and it gives such serious chills. Another part that stands out to me is from the second verse where she sings:

But your love, it isn't free, it has to be earned

:broken: 

The third verse is especially my favorite part. So much heartfelt and heartbreak in what she’s singing there. I love how she sings it from her perspective of being a mother to her daughter and her husband being there for her daughter (and this was before their son was born). Although it’s sad knowing Kelly and her husband aren’t together anymore, but I am sure he will still love and raise his kids with her right.  I do really like this song and sorry for the low’ish ranking but i just love other songs more. But I certainly see this ranking high.

Did I cry like a fool when she did this performance live? Yup. Did I download this right away when they released it? Absolutely.

This version is by far the best of this song - the emotions in her voice, the vocals, the lyrics - everything about this song is flawless, especially the arrangement featured in this version; I don't think this song would have had the same impact if we had never heard this version.  

Edited by Deeee

2 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Oof that was a tough group of cuts for me! Interested to see where this goes.

Lol wait I didn’t even realise that I ranked BOY and PBP at #11 and #10. :haha: So I still have two higher rankings left in this...hoping one of them pulls through!

Derek:

Gigi:

Andy:

Steven:

Sola:

Wally:

Anne:

Elliott:

QK:

Tom:

Chris:

JC: