Which former contestants would you like to see as coaches?

VintageVoice

Inspired by @xfactor22 posting on the S18 thread, which former/current contestants from all seasons of The Voice would you like to see in the coaches' chairs if they had a panel of all former contestants? 

Rules/Recommendations:

• The coaches should be over the age of 18 now (even if they weren't at the time of their season)
  • Try to cover as many genres as possible - keep in mind the formula of seasons past with a country coach, a pop/country-pop/pop-rock coach, someone R&B-adjacent, and a "whatever else" coach; it's not mandatory for your panels but it's one that seems to attract the biggest variety of singers.
  • Have fun!

Jordan Smith would be great. He’s one the best singers to ever be on the show and he’s very funny so it would work for the show.

Morgan Wallen (or Danielle Bradbery) could fill the country coach spot since they are the two most successful country singers.

Jeffery Austin would be hilarious and he would be good as a vocal coach and with picking songs

Brooke Simpson also has the perfect vocals and perfect personality for being a coach.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rp3598 said:

Jordan Smith would be great. He’s one the best singers to ever be on the show and he’s very funny so it would work for the show.

Morgan Wallen (or Danielle Bradbery) could fill the country coach spot since they are the two most successful country singers.

Jeffery Austin would be hilarious and he would be good as a vocal coach and with picking songs

Brooke Simpson also has the perfect vocals and perfect personality for being a coach.

There's a snippet from S14 behind-the-scenes (when they asked previous winners to come help for the KOs) where Jordan's sassing Adam and it's glorious - it's a little under a minute into the video.

Morgan and Danielle would both be good, so I could see them rotating in and out depending on availability.

Jeffery Austin's a good underdog story too - from a one-chair in his blind audition all the way to the finale.

I've seen a couple of Brooke interviews post-show and she's hilarious on top of singing like a Disney princess, so I can see that.

• Like 1

Just now, rp3598 said:

LOL The show has become way too kid friendly now and Jeffrey would bring the shade and honesty for days. Minivan wouldnt like that. I do think his song choices would be great and interesting, considering that he spent his run doing songs that mainly haven't been done previously on the show.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 3

1. Cassadee Pope (Fill the Kelly Role): Like Kelly, Cassadee has a huge appeal over lots of genres since she's currently a successful country singer, but she was the leader of an also popular punk/rock band, Hello Monday. Not as good as a vocalist as Kelly, but easily could work with LOTS of artists

2. Morgan Wallen (Fill the Blake Role): Popular country singer rn, but he does have that rasp in his voice, so he could probably pull some southern rock artists to his team too

3. Sisaundra Lewis (Fill the JHUD Role): One thing I feel we sometimes forget was that Sisaundra was the creative director to CELINE DION. She has coached one of the biggest and most famous voices of a generation, she could easily handle coaching ANYONE

4. Matt McAndrew (Fill the Adam Role): Matt has the best selling original of the show and is a alt/rock singer, so I feel he could work with with the singer-songwriters, indie, or even rock artists since he's bee the headman of a few alt/punk bands. He also was a vocal coach before the show, so it's not much but it's something)

HM: Loreen Alred- I know she wasn't hugely impactful on the show, but she sang "Never Enough" and is an amazing technical singer, just look at her tour with David Foster and Pia Toscano and she could be the 'Diva' coach

Danielle Bradbury: She would be great too, I feel she would just share to much common ground with Morgan and Cassadee, so if one took a season of she could be a good new coach. Also open to others genres (Such as her Post Malone cover "Psycho" or Lady Gaga "Shallow")

Edited by thevoiceswimmer

1 hour ago, thevoiceswimmer said:

1. Cassadee Pope (Fill the Kelly Role): Like Kelly, Cassadee has a huge appeal over lots of genres since she's currently a successful country singer, but she was the leader of an also popular punk/rock band, Hello Monday. Not as good as a vocalist as Kelly, but easily could work with LOTS of artists

2. Morgan Wallen (Fill the Blake Role): Popular country singer rn, but he does have that rasp in his voice, so he could probably pull some southern rock artists to his team too

3. Sisaundra Lewis (Fill the JHUD Role): One thing I feel we sometimes forget was that Sisaundra was the creative director to CELINE DION. She has coached one of the biggest and most famous voices of a generation, she could easily handle coaching ANYONE

4. Matt McAndrew (Fill the Adam Role): Matt has the best selling original of the show and is a alt/rock singer, so I feel he could work with with the singer-songwriters, indie, or even rock artists since he's bee the headman of a few alt/punk bands. He also was a vocal coach before the show, so it's not much but it's something)

HM: Loreen Alred- I know she wasn't hugely impactful on the show, but she sang "Never Enough" and is an amazing technical singer, just look at her tour with David Foster and Pia Toscano and she could be the 'Diva' coach

Danielle Bradbury: She would be great too, I feel she would just share to much common ground with Morgan and Cassadee, so if one took a season of she could be a good new coach. Also open to others genres (Such as her Post Malone cover "Psycho" or Lady Gaga "Shallow")

Cassadee would be a good choice given the crossover thing, and she's one of the earliest artists off the show to be moderately successful.

Morgan being a hot topic in county could draw in new viewers, though being known for "bro country" might unintentionally push people who are a little wary of that towards Cassadee. 

Sisaundra's experience both in coaching Celine Dion and being a contestant on the show would be big boosts for her.

Matt the robbed king would also be a nice counterbalance to the more "country" panel/panel that has worked with Blake. 

Loren could rotate in for Sisaundra if need be, and Danielle being so young when she won + openness to other genres besides country would be big draws for younger artists on the show (since she was in their shoes once) and for people who like country but might want to dabble in other lanes too.

• Thanks 1

This is a simple question, 100% easy, nothing can be easier to answer... okay maybe a few questions could be but:

Queen Maelyn - Need I say more?

Now to others I would like tbh:

Makenzie Thomas

Amber Carrington 

Addison Agen 

Could replace Amber with Lauren Duski, but either way I would like these 4 as coaches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

This is a simple question, 100% easy, nothing can be easier to answer... okay maybe a few questions could be but:

Makenzie Thomas

Amber Carrington 

Addison Agen 

Could replace Amber with Lauren Duski, but either way I would like these 4 as coaches.

queen of taste! I agree with all of these, especially Addison Agen

• Thanks 1

A contestant being coached/mentored by Kawan DeBose and Blaine Long together would be the ultimate experience. Kawan wouldn't care what the contestant has to say, and Blaine wouldn't care what the contestant has to sing. 🤣

10 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

Makenzie Thomas

Amber Carrington 

Addison Agen 

Maelyn in the chair would be great because she'd cover the increasingly popular indie-pop lane and I could see her drawing some of the folk/alt-rock auditions as well.

Makenzie would absolutely slay the R&B lane but she's mentioned in interviews she's a metalhead and has gospel influences, so that'd be a heck of a mix with the show; additionally, going from no chairs to a one-chair semifinalist is a big "Comeback Kid" story that audiences eat up.

Amber's power-pop and country in roughly equal parts, so the country gang would flock to her; Lauren's more straight-up country but occupies a similar lane so that would be the same sort of deal.

Addison's genre was the hardest to nail down but being the youngest on the panel and most genre-exploring of the group would get her an interesting mix of people (and having the ability to relate to the younger performers because she's been there herself would probably send more of the teen auditions her way).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vinyl said:

A contestant being coached/mentored by Kawan DeBose and Blaine Long together would be the ultimate experience. Kawan wouldn't care what the contestant has to say, and Blaine wouldn't care what the contestant has to sing. 🤣

Just imagine the sheer chaos this would result in for TPTB 😂

44 minutes ago, holinessss said:

jhud/kelly/miley: katie kadan

alicia/ceelo/gwen/john/pharrell/shakria: judith hill

adam/christina/nick/usher: matthew schuler

blake: dexter roberts

Honestly that entire panel would be incredible.

Katie's vocal power + ability to command attention + IDGAF-kickassness would help artists that don't feel like they necessarily are the traditional/conventional modern made-for-streaming voice feel seen and they'd thrive with her. 

Judith having worked with Michael Jackson and Prince plus crushing every song up until that last week would be a big draw; she's also good at making things that might not be considered traditionally pop/R&B work for her, and for anyone that might want to do that sort of crossover that would be a great fit. side note it's 2020 and I'm still upset at Adam/TPTB making her do "#thatpower" and bussing her

Matthew could do really well with the alt-rock/pop-rock lane, and he gets credit from me for being one of the few to tackle both Imagine Dragons and Fall Out Boy on the show (which are not easy bands to cover given wordiness and pacing).

Dexter having done two separate competition shows (AI and The Voice) would give him a leg up because he'd be the most familiar with navigating a competition through different formats. Three guesses what genre would be his dominating force, and the first two don't count. 

Hmm, here’s my PERSONAL opinions (also keep in mind my voice knowledge is limited to s7-18 and a few contests in other seasons)

Team  Jeffery and Will Breman “Team Braustin”: They could fill  various genres, but their team would likely consist of a rock/soul/indie genres. Also their personalities would make for great tv.

Team Alisan Porter “Team Bayou”: She could be the country/country like  coach of the panel. She would likely have a stacked team and a lot of steals. 

Team  Kimberly Nichole Team “City Limits”: She sings perfect andif her performances  are any indication of her off-stage personality, she’d be a great coach.

Team Lyndsey Elm: Yes, she didn’t last long, but she’s super talented and possibly my all-time fav. She would be the creative coach, helping her team to twist songs into ways that fit them. 

4 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

Hmm, here’s my PERSONAL opinions (also keep in mind my voice knowledge is limited to s7-18 and a few contests in other seasons)

Team  Jeffery and Will Breman “Team Braustin”: They could fill  various genres, but their team would likely consist of a rock/soul/indie genres. Also their personalities would make for great tv.

Team Alisan Porter “Team Bayou”: She could be the country/country like  coach of the panel. She would likely have a stacked team and a lot of steals. 

Team  Kimberly Nichole Team “City Limits”: She sings perfect andif her performances  are any indication of her off-stage personality, she’d be a great coach.

Team Lyndsey Elm: Yes, she didn’t last long, but she’s super talented and possibly my all-time fav. She would be the creative coach, helping her team to twist songs into ways that fit them. 

Jeffery's wittiness-with-shade + Will's awkwardly-funny-but-also-chill personality would be an interesting mix and both can do a lot of genres well, so I'd be interested in seeing song selections.

Alisan would be a beast of a coach, especially as she's primarily country but can draw on other influences; in her interviews she also came off as very level-headed which would be great for contestants to have a more calming force in the stress of competition.

Kimberly Nichole is arguably the most technically skilled of this grouping and she'd be great for pushing the boundaries of singers' genres ("Creep" and "HOTRS" saying hello).

Lyndsey would be an interesting coach and I could see her helping her team pick unexpected songs and making them work, which could be fun. And I 100% agree she should've lasted longer - why Gwen picked Braiden over her, I will never understand, but that's a topic for another thread.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tshe.ring said:

Yes!

and

Tessanne Chin, please please

Tessanne would also be a good balance for judge shenanigans (considering how often she had to rein Adam back in as her coach), but she can still appreciate some of the goofiness. 

Edited by VintageVoice

8 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

What do you mean by this (I didn't watch that season)? im curious!

Adam joked about it later seasons (I can't find the outtakes clip anywhere, sadly) but apparently Tessanne would shake her head and call him "so naughty" when he'd get too wrapped up in his BS/get sidetracked by his own antics.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Adam joked about it later seasons (I can't find the outtakes clip anywhere, sadly) but apparently Tessanne would shake her head and call him "so naughty" when he'd get too wrapped up in his BS/get sidetracked by his own antics.

haha thats so funny. I can see her doing that just based on the performances of hers ive watched. 

15 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

Jeffery's wittiness-with-shade + Will's awkwardly-funny-but-also-chill personality would be an interesting mix and both can do a lot of genres well, so I'd be interested in seeing song selections.

Alisan would be a beast of a coach, especially as she's primarily country but can draw on other influences; in her interviews she also came off as very level-headed which would be great for contestants to have a more calming force in the stress of competition.

Kimberly Nichole is arguably the most technically skilled of this grouping and she'd be great for pushing the boundaries of singers' genres ("Creep" and "HOTRS" saying hello).

Lyndsey would be an interesting coach and I could see her helping her team pick unexpected songs and making them work, which could be fun. And I 100% agree she should've lasted longer - why Gwen picked Braiden over her, I will never understand, but that's a topic for another thread.

Thank you for your feedback.  And for helping  me with more in depth reasons of why my choice's would be good coaches.